Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"So who's right? You and your experience, or me in mine?"

The good thing about experience is that it just exists on its own. Judgements about the experience are a different matter.

You and I aren't basing our conclusions on the SAME experiences, so we are not likely to agree. Surely you don't fault me for giving more weight to my own experience than to your experience [which is actually a non-experience in this instance].

I've been killing deer for 60 years and never have killed an albino deer.

That doesn't position me to doubt your account of having seen TWO of them.

I'd just figure they are more common where you hunt.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by curdog4570

Officer safety IS paramount...... right?

exactly.

I watched a lot of folks burn in cars, people drown, and allowed guys to shoot or knife folks until they tired themselves out for arrest.

Those words re officer safety have been agreed on by our forum cops for years. Wasn't me that made 'em up. Go argue with them if you don't agree with the statement.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rookie cop in Arizona just got shot dead on a domestic violence call. Multiple shots. He had ASKED the murderer to allow him to pat him down. Respected the man's rights, acted sensitive. Got killed. Kinda high price to pay for some of the jimokes here to feel very smug about. Yeah. Officer safety. As far as a gratuitous beating, they are actually pretty rare as we want the judge and everybody else to put their focus on the criminal and what he/she did rather than have everyone licking their chops to fry a "brutal" cop. I have been kicked in the head by a long legged black scum who I arrested for trying to kill a bartender by using a knife. He NEVER stopped fighting. He STILL lost the fight. So what if he didn't look very pretty afterwards.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE

Officer safety IS paramount...... right?

exactly.

I watched a lot of folks burn in cars, people drown, and allowed guys to shoot or knife folks until they tired themselves out for arrest.

Those words re officer safety have been agreed on by our forum cops for years. Wasn't me that made 'em up. Go argue with them if you don't agree with the statement.

You're use of the phrase was accompanied by its justification of cops taking firearms under orders.

I found it as stupid to the situation as you probably found my examples.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
" He NEVER stopped fighting. He STILL lost the fight. So what if he didn't look very pretty afterwards."

THAT situation has not one damn thing to do with the topic of this thread.

And.. what happened to the rookie in Az. IS an ABOMINATION. Any other comments I could make about it would sound mitigating.

But, I'll add this comment to my post since it is apropos:

I've suggested to several Tx DPS officers FORTY years ago, that if the Dep't would make it policy that in EVERY traffic stop after dark, the officer approach the vehicle with his revolver in hand, pointed at the ground.
If it were standard procedure, the public wouldn't feel threatened by it.

City cops should apply the same rule to ALL domestic violence calls. A man doesn't need L E experience to know how dangerous those situations can become without warning.

When a cop is SENT for, the dynamic reverses and you will find me giving him the benefit of every doubt.

When he initiates the contact, I see it differently.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We've seen that policy used to justify all sorts of excessive force in lots of discussions right on this forum. And it's not that different from the "just following orders" excuse for doing something that's insulting to all right thinking people.

And it's appropriate in OUR conversation in this sense:

In something as drastic as confiscation of firearms, especially in the "us VS. them" mindset of L E in this country at the present time, a rural cop might decide his interests are better served by siding with "the folks".

An NYPD cop might elect to follow orders. For the same reason.

I O W ...... an individual cop will have had ample opportunity to demonstrate his dedication to the Constitution, especially the 2A, long before the confiscation order comes down. [Personally, I don't believe it ever will, on a State or Federal level.]

Despite protestations to the contrary, I don't see a lot of examples of that dedication.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Wouldn't bother me if they came up with handgun in hand. Just in case I"m a bad guy.

But thats why both my hands are on the steering wheel in plain sight. With the window down a bit. I don't fidget etc.... When they ask for DL etc... I tell them where it is, and that I"m going to reach for it etc...

But again if I go through all that, and they decide to arrest me for whatever reason, because I look like the description of a suspect etc... I'll get out as told, and let them cuff me and off we'll go.

I won't be running my mouth about them being stupid or whatever, its just life, and we'll be in and out and fine.

And if I"m abused in the process, slapped or whatever, then I"ll simply press charges and file a suit as should be done whenever that 10% or so of society acts out. Of all society.

Be nice if we could weed the bad out of every job. Period.

BTW the new dog has found 8 deer at last count. And continues to amaze me with his nose. He is having fun too. Not sure how happy he will be come end of Jan or so when he has to wait until October... will have to see if we can find some pigs to blood trail...during the year.
He certainly is not great at it yet, but at this point I think he will make a good if not great trailing dog. Had his first run in with a turkey the other day. Was not sure about that. I missed the neck at 143 yards by just a hair, so we had to go down and get him and finish him off.

Only thing I don't like is he wants to chase or trail just about everything around. Makes me a bit nervous, would prefer he do just the wounded trials and leave the rest alone, but its bred into them I suspect.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
I fear the government a whole lot more than scumbags on the streets. The government is truly organized crime.

The government is nothing more than organized crime on a massive scale. The worst threat that every American faces comes from his/her own government.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"but its bred into them I suspect."

Most all good curdogs will run "fast game" starting out, just like even the best bred young coonhound will tree possums. I've found it best in both situations to neither encourage, nor discourage it. Once they figure out which action pleases you, a biddable dog will take THAT action.

When they take off after deer, I just go hide from them and make them find me with their nose.

Some give it up quickly, some take longer.

Back to thread topic:

I'll just say that I, personally, have never been mistreated by a TEXAS cop DURING handcuffing. Of course, it's been over thirty years since the last time, but it always went like this with DPS troopers:

"Mr. Williams, I'm gonna have to take you in. Please face away from me and put your hands behind your back. I know you are not going to give me any trouble, but I'm required to put handcuffs on you."

Once they turn you over to the County boys, things can change quickly.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
County boys from 30 or 40 years ago had some bad reputations. Even around here.

But the "quality" of the local LEO has improved a lot, at least around here, that plus cameras all over the place...

Good to know on the dog. We are afraid to let him run off the long leash yet while trailing. He is so nuts and full of energy, I just don't want him running the baby goats or getting loose and far enough away to get a road or such. Evidently he was run over when he was a puppy to start with.

Never realized Cur could be such good dogs. Now if he will outgrow chewing on everything sooner than my labs did it'll be all good. LOL.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The good thing about curs is that they like to chew stuff like stumps and bricks. smile

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep. I've come home lots of times to find that I had gained several garden hoses. Unfortunately, they were pretty short and had no threaded ends. And my good long garden hose was missing.

Shout out for the County boys:

I had a Tarrant County Detective come get me to take me from a City jail to their place. As soon as we were out of sight, he pulled over, got out, came around to my side, and unlocked my cuffs.

I was getting a little concerned , but he just re-cuffed me with my hands in front, saying he knew I wasn't going to give him any trouble. Before he took me into the Tarrant County jail, he reversed the deal so my hands were behind me again.

Not all cops are idiots.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I recently got a ticket for no seat belt, he could have hit me with more I suppose, but I called his shift supervisor within a couple of days and told him I appreciated the way I was treated after the officer stopped me. We discussed how important it is that officers in interactions with citizens are courteous these days in lieu of all the negative MSM publicity. Hell even when they do it correctly by the book they're painted as bad guys!

but he was a gray hair like me, in fact the shift supervisor even responded "we've a bunch of seasoned guys here (read experience and age) on our force here" It was the University police force btw.

I think age has a lot to do with it, and I also think motivation has a lot to do with it. And experience. Young guys that see a fellow officer get roughed up or disabled during a fight, pretty much make up their mind it's not going to happen to them.

I know when I was younger, it didn't take much to get me to dance. As I've gotten older there's still a bit of frog left in me as it turns out, but it's not as prevalent.

despite their best efforts to prevent it, I'd say every force ends up with guys on the force that are there for the wrong reasons. I.e. they want the power that comes from having a badge and gun.

add youth to the mix and you're gonna have problems occasionally

and that's what makes the news.

my guess is some of the young guys would/could learn from their mistakes and go on to make pretty decent cops with tutelage from the older hands, but in these days of media scrutiny and cell phone cameras they're not always going to get the chance.

I've had a run in with a bad cop or two, and it sucks big time.

but the majority of officers I've made contact are decent men trying to do an often chitty job, dealing with drunks, stupid folks and occasional true bad guy. Don't know how they do it personally. I don't have the temperament for it.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some of y'all seem to be resisting the rest of y'all.

Put your hands behind your back please. Or I'll break 'em both.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
lol talking about the county LEO from Texas, when I first rolled into Houston, I was around 20-21, brand new pickup, long hair, smoking dope etc. Had Illinois plates as we'd come from Chicago.

we missed a turn on a country road and did a U turn, oops red lighted.

gun drawn, get out of the car face down on the road, "if I find one grain of marijuana you boys are going down"

fortunately my pard had stashed the pot down in his crotch and no self respecting redneck back in those days was gonna touch another man's junk.

but he was tickled to find the good switchblade and brass knuckles I had on me. they were both quality items.

he pocketed those and didn't even write us up as backup pulled up.

still miss that lil switchblade

and as a whole the Pasadena Police force was one of the nastiest most corrupt forces I've ever dealt with (Pasadena was where Gilley's and the Nesadel were)

they had a racket going there providing security for the bars with off duty police, wore their whole uniform but the badge

thumped many a guy with a nightstick or sprayed em down with mace/pepper spray and then call one of their on duty buds and haul em off to jail

friend bought a bar there later and got shook down pretty well by them. he'd turned them down to provide security and hired his own doorman/bouncer

within a few days he got about 9 shots of 9mm in his front door whereupon his bouncer went out the back door never to be seen again and the next day the cops came by to see if he'd changed his mind about what security they could provide.

nasty bunch of mofos those Pasadena police ime, in the late 70's

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
I recently got a ticket for no seat belt...

What a silly chicken$h!t thing to write somebody a ticket for. "To protect, and to Serve".
The community is much safer now as a result of that.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ltppowell
The good thing about curs is that they like to chew stuff like stumps and bricks. smile

Don't judge all Cur Dogs by those bow legged Goat humpers that come out of Texas. grin

ID Curs are sweet as honey and never chew on anything.
[Linked Image]

Well,,, almost "never".
[Linked Image]

As far as the tired old cops and robbers debate goes.
Just like time it's self, they're both changing and neither one for the better but I guess I'd still rather have the Cop over for a beer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
true but he did me a favor, I pulled out a lil abruptly at one stop sign and a car was coming down the hill where normally there's no traffic, cop said the guy had to hit his brakes, and while it wasn't that close I should have probably waited for that car to go by.

then I did sort of the same thing going across the main thorough fare, line of cars coming so after making my stop I raced across the street to avoid waiting for all that traffic.

I'd put in a 12 hour day already and had to pick up my kid from work, and was hauling recycling and trash (transfer sites for each are across the main road from each other)

he asked if I was wearing a seat belt and told him "no since I'd dropped our recycling and was just headed across the street I didn't bother"

gone my whole life without wearing a seatbelt most of the time, it's a hard habit for me to develop just driving around town.

but it's now the law. btw I agree with your statement that our gov't is the greatest threat to our freedom and security fwiw

but also realize we need police forces, and they have a chitty job to do.

does pizz me off to find on occasion no one has time to investigate a burglary but they do make time to write me a No seatl belt citation, second one I've gotten.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Don't judge all Cur Dogs by those bow legged Goat humpers that come out of Texas. grin

ID Curs are sweet as honey and never chew on anything.
[Linked Image]

Well,,, almost "never".
[Linked Image]

As far as the tired old cops and robbers debate goes.
Just like time it's self, they're both changing and neither one for the better but I guess I'd still rather have the Cop over for a beer.

The thing about Curdogs is every owner makes his own Breed Standard,

But...... there was a Plott Hound involved while YOUR " CUR" was being built.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mine are nice too! laugh

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (7mm_Loco, AB2506, 673, 264mag, 44automag, 450yukon, 15 invisible), 1,012 guests, and 1,001 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,888
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.