Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Iran Isn't Just Trying to Build a Nuclear Bomb

BY CHARLES KRAUTHAMMER
01/22/2015 05:49 PM ET

[Linked Image]
Charles Krauthammer

While Iran's march toward a nuclear bomb has provoked a major clash between the White House and Congress, Iran's march toward conventional domination of the Arab world has been largely overlooked. In Washington, that is. The Arabs have noticed. And the pro-American ones, the Gulf Arabs in particular, are deeply worried.

This week, Iranian-backed Houthi rebels seized control of the Yemeni government, heretofore pro-American. In September, they overran Sanaa, the capital. On Tuesday, they seized the presidential palace. On Thursday, they forced the president to resign.

The Houthi have local religious grievances, being Shiites in a majority Sunni land. But they are also agents of Shiite Iran, which arms, trains and advises them. Their slogan � "God is great. Death to America. Death to Israel." � could have been written in Persian.

Why should we care about the coup? First, because we depend on Yemen's government to support our drone war against another local menace, al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula. It's not clear if we can even maintain our embassy in Yemen, let alone conduct operations against AQAP. And second, because growing Iranian hegemony is a mortal threat to our allies and interests in the entire Middle East.

In Syria, Iran's power is similarly rising. The mullahs rescued the reeling regime of Bashar Assad by sending in weapons, money and Iranian revolutionary guards as well as by ordering their Lebanese proxy, Hezbollah, to join the fight. They succeeded. The moderate rebels are in disarray, even as Assad lives in de facto coexistence with the Islamic State, which controls a large part of his country.

A strange occurrence last Sunday in the Golan Heights further illustrated Iran's domination of Syria. An Israeli helicopter attacked a convoy on the Syrian side of the armistice line. Those killed were not Syrian, however, but five Hezbollah fighters from Lebanon and several Iranian officials, including a brigadier general.

What were they doing in the Syrian Golan Heights? Giving "crucial advice," announced the Iranian government. On what? Well, three days earlier, Hezbollah's leader had threatened an attack on Israel's Galilee. Tehran appears to be using its control of Syria and Hezbollah to create his very own front against Israel.

The Israelis can defeat any conventional attack. Not so the Gulf Arabs. To the north and west, they see Iran creating a satellite "Shiite Crescent" stretching to the Mediterranean and consisting of Iraq, Syria and Lebanon. To their south and west, they see Iran gaining proxy control of Yemen. And they are caught in the pincer.

The Saudis are fighting back the only way they can � with massive production of oil at a time of oversupply and collapsing prices, placing enormous economic pressure on Iran. It needs $136 oil to maintain its budget. The price today is below $50.

Yet the Obama administration appears to be ready to acquiesce to the new reality of Iranian domination of Syria. It has told the New York Times that it is essentially abandoning its proclaimed goal of removing Assad.

For the Saudis and the other Gulf Arabs, this is a nightmare. They're engaged in a titanic regional struggle with Iran. And they are losing � losing Yemen, losing Lebanon, losing Syria and watching post-U.S.-withdrawal Iraq come under increasing Iranian domination.

Iran going nuclear would hugely compound the nightmare. The Saudis were already stupefied that the U.S. had conducted secret negotiations with Tehran behind their backs. And they can see where the current talks are headed � legitimizing Iran as a threshold nuclear state.

Which makes all the more incomprehensible President Obama's fierce opposition to Congress' offer to strengthen the American negotiating hand by passing sanctions to be triggered if Iran fails to agree to give up its nuclear program. After all, that was the understanding that Obama gave Congress when he began these last-ditch negotiations in the first place.

Why are you parroting Tehran's talking points, Mr. President? asks Democratic Sen. Bob Menendez. Indeed, why are we endorsing Iran's claim that sanctions relief is the new norm? Obama assured the nation that sanctions relief was but a temporary concession to give last-minute, time-limited negotiations a chance.

Twice the deadline has come. Twice no new sanctions, just unconditional negotiating extensions.

Our regional allies � Saudi Arabia, the other five Gulf states, Jordan, Egypt and Israel � are deeply worried. Tehran is visibly on the march on the ground and openly on the march to nuclear status. And their one great ally, their strategic anchor for two generations, is acquiescing to both.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
in a perfect world, the shiites and the Sunni rag heads would just kill each other off. Sadly, they both hate us even more than they hate each other.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fighting them is inevitable. Obama just wants it to be somebody elses problem, just like everything else.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Let the Arabs and the Europeans fight them.Take care of our home front. Then if the others fail just eliminate the whole works. ED K

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Krauthammer was born on March 13, 1950, in New York City and raised in Montreal. His parents were Orthodox-Jewish and he went to a Hebrew day school. "I got a rigorous Jewish education. I know what it is to be a Jew. There's a difference between being nominally Jewish or sentimentally Jewish and being grounded in Jewish learning".

Article written for the Jewish World Review............

Last edited by KFWA; 01/23/15.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KFWA
Krauthammer was born on March 13, 1950, in New York City and raised in Montreal. His parents were Orthodox-Jewish and he went to a Hebrew day school. "I got a rigorous Jewish education. I know what it is to be a Jew. There's a difference between being nominally Jewish or sentimentally Jewish and being grounded in Jewish learning".

Saul of Tarsus - born 8 AD - Acts 22:3 I am verily a man which am a Jew, born in Tarsus, a city in Cilicia, yet brought up in this city at the feet of Gamaliel, and taught according to the perfect manner of the law of the fathers, and was zealous toward God, as ye all are this day.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So the fact he is jewish invalidates his spot on assessment? Oh, I say fight and fight now...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
only thing he is zealous toward is America fighting Iran on behalf of Israel.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Israel should be at best a small factor of the American rationale in that decision.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Kraut may be a Jew, but he is also observant, and correct in his assumptions. We would do well to listen to him and have our POTUS do something about it.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Israel is never a small factor in the American Rationale for any action in the middle east.

They've been talking about Iran being 6 months away from a nuclear bomb for what? 4 years now?

If Israel is convinced another country is building a weapon of mass destruction they intend to use on them at some point, then why have they waited - especially with a weak president in Obama?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
btw, how many votes do we have for declared war on Iran here?

Jorge votes yes. Who else?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Obama is the terrorist Moslem threat to the USA

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
tell iran to launch one,tell israel to stop counting on us to back them.get rid of obama.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
But it should be a factor, but not the driving force. The locus of the decision should center around the FACT upwards of 40% of the world's oil flows through the straits and Iran poses a clear and present danger to the collapse of the west should that source abruptly end. BTW, there are many ways of fighting, including FULL sanctions, full support of the resistance (oops too late we effed that one) and of course, blockade. Bottom line is we should PREVENT Iran from acquiring nuclear capability. Just my opinion,

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
in a perfect world, the shiites and the Sunni rag heads would just kill each other off. Sadly, they both hate us even more than they hate each other.

Yep, very true Sam. The West, and especially the USA, seems to be the only common denominator that these two groups can agree on and focus their hatred and violence. Most Muslims (like Christians and Jews) are non-violent, but there is the radical violent element that causes most of the world's problems.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think we should drop an FAE on Tehran just to even things up for the Embassy takeover,THEN we talk.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
fight, fight now

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by KFWA
btw, how many votes do we have for declared war on Iran here?

Jorge votes yes. Who else?

Unfortunately, this may not be a viable option currently. Our military is tired, it's equipment worn-down and, our nation is tired of war. Given budget deficits and a tight-fisted Congress, I doubt this route will be taken - UNLESS, the US is directly attacked, as on 9/11.

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Iran vs the U.S. - should we fight?

Yes.

Right after Israel agrees to become our 51st star.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (1234, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 46 invisible), 2,338 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,498
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.