-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
About 4 years ago some idiots tried to shoot their way into our shipping container we use for storage at our range. Husky Master Lock withstood several rounds , surrounding metal did not, they didn't get in.

[Linked Image]
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
5 gal propane tanks don't explode either.

(safe range)

Oxygen tanks, however, do.............. eek

We use to take old propane tack fill them with 2 gallon of gas, then fill them with 80 psi of air. place them in a plowed field, and back off 100 yards and hit them with a 30-06 tracer round. Make sure you don't use a field that hasent been plowed or you will need a fire truck

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Glocktard
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
It is a proven fact that you cannot cut down an oak tree with a few wraps of 70's era commercial Primacord, even if you add a couple of sticks of dynamite to the mix.

It is, however, a proven fact that you can split said oak tree to the ground with a couple of sticks of said dynamite placed in the Y of the trunk.

It's all about location.

Timber cutting charge calculations are on the GI Demo card. Probably find it on line.

Pounds dynamite equals trunk diameter squared divided by 40. Divide by 50 if you want to keep the trunk attached to the stump. I learned something at Combat Engineer school. Or just go P(ounds)is for plenty. Add until it looks right.

Nothing like the smell of a freshly blown up pine tree.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Gene I knew an old acquaintance from Moran Tx who had a classmate tie a stick on a buzzards leg. With a long fuze. Had ideas of watching the poor bird blow up riding a thermal.
Well buzzard finally got off ground and lit on ridge of barn roof. Apparently it's had for a buzzard to fly with a stick of dynamite tied to his leg. Results are not hard to guess.

Laughed out loud at your story. My dad's favorite true story was just about like that. On the farm, he and his brothers used to get dynamite at the local hardware store, tie a half stick to a crow's feet (caught in a trap) light it and watch it fly off, with the predictable results. It was always great entertainment he told me.

One time they caught a pigeon, and prepped the pigeon in similar fashion. When they lit the fuse and turned it loose, it promptly flew and perched on a church steeple, blowing the steeple to smithereens. My grandfather was a man of few words and his actions after that had my dad and uncles out of the dynamite business in a New York second. My dad and uncles had to rebuild the church steeple by themselves minus each of their ass cheeks.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Once, in my youth, I thought it would be cool to have a coin with a bullet hole through it.

Ya need to call Paladin when you get those thoughts. Or Gene (Curdog), I hear that he has been practicing, but with washers so he can reuse them. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Sounds like some of the guys here might know the answer to this question: How does the explosive force of one stick of dynamite compare to a U.S. fragmentation grenade?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Anyone remember the television commercials for Master padlocks where they would shoot the lock with a rifle?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by old70
It is a proven fact that you cannot cut down an oak tree with a few wraps of 70's era commercial Primacord, even if you add a couple of sticks of dynamite to the mix.

It is, however, a proven fact that you can split said oak tree to the ground with a couple of sticks of said dynamite placed in the Y of the trunk.

It's all about location.

Timber cutting charge calculations are on the GI Demo card. Probably find it on line.

Pounds dynamite equals trunk diameter squared divided by 40. Divide by 50 if you want to keep the trunk attached to the stump. I learned something at Combat Engineer school. Or just go P(ounds)is for plenty. Add until it looks right.

Does the amount required vary with the type of tree? Specifically oak vs. pine?

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Had a friend that had to try out a .30-06 AP round on a short section of railroad rail that his dad used to keep the machine shed door open. I felt something on my boot and looked down to see a black smear along it. Friend was looking strange and holding his side; the jacket was tangled in his coat, but had managed to lay his side open.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Most people seem to forget or never knew just how elastic steel is. Some learn the hard way.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I tend to favor the cutting torch for lock work

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Someone attempted to shoot the lock off the gate to our local range. There was a pool of blood on the ground some 10 ft back. They were never rounded up though.

1Minute
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I saw[just yesterday]Wesley Snipes blow a lock off of a chained door at a good and safe range of about 2', no problem.

FJB & FJT
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 1minute
Someone attempted to shoot the lock off the gate to our local range. There was a pool of blood on the ground some 10 ft back. They were never rounded up though.

That is almost as fantastic as the story in the Des Moines paper a few years back about an idiot who tried to steal anhydrous ammonia by breaking off the locked valve. The escaping product struck him in the front, just a bit below his belt buckle. Sometimes justice serves itself very well.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by old70

It's all about location.

Does the amount required vary with the type of tree? Specifically oak vs. pine?

Not in my experience. I've had pretty good success with both hard and softwoods using the formulas, but we mainly used C4, which takes a further conversion factor due to the relative power of the two explosives. You can also cut a fairly large tree with military det cord, but it takes a lot of wraps to generate the force for a larger tree.

Back before it became verboten, my platoon created several impromptu LZs and an abatis at Ft. A.P. Hill during training.
As a result, whenever the 'what caliber have you killed deer with' thread comes up, I can honestly answer 'C4'.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by 1minute

That is almost as fantastic as the story in the Des Moines paper a few years back about an idiot who tried to steal anhydrous ammonia by breaking off the locked valve. The escaping product struck him in the front, just a bit below his belt buckle. Sometimes justice serves itself very well.

That'll leave a mark.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 1beaver_shooter
I tend to favor the cutting torch for lock work

A Broco is MUCH faster. Like a cross between a stick-welder and a plasma cutter. The rods are expensive I'm told. Takes a bit but you can cut a railroad track in two with one.

They are using these for disaster recovery now.

Last edited by Glocktard; 01/26/15.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Do these threads ever take on a "life" all their own!?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
When I taught locksmithing in the Navy I kept a box of Master padlocks without keys in my shop aboard the USS Grand Canyon. I used then to teach beginning lockpicking and impressioning because they are some of the easiest to learn on.

I don't see the need to ever shoot of cut one.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Old70,

Using your formula it would appear that the intrepid experimenters I mentioned simply didn't use enough Primacord to do the job.

I, of course, wasn't there to witness the experiment, all my information is hearsay and if my fingerprints were on the batteries used to set off the caps that would be strictly circumstantial.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

486 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 12344mag, 222ND, 1beaver_shooter, 44 invisible), 1,706 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,051
Posts18,521,250
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.