Home
Just watching an old movie yesterday.
George Peppard shot both locks clean into.
First time every time.
It works all the time, in the movies.

Anyone done that for real?
I've also seen them knock a lock off with the grip of a pistol.
I had an old chain, not real thick laying around the shack. It had part of a tree grown around it. As it was laying there and I had a new Ruger in 45 Colt and some HSM cowboy loads there - I gave it a whirl.

From a distance of 7 feet or so and about 15 rounds - I never split that chain. Hit it a lot but never caused it to break.
I prefer dynamite. Just be sure to use enough.

12 Gauge Slug!

There are "breaching" rounds that are made of powdered medal that reduces ricochet. Not sure if available for civilian market?
This has Darwin Award potential.
A good hacksaw on the old stuff the new hardened locks chain you will need a grinder. don
I wondered about setting dynamite off with a bullet. So, many years ago, I placed a half stick in the fork of a mesquite tree about 6 in dia at base. I backed off and nailed it first shot with a little Browning 22.

Split the tree right down to the ground. Ol' Gene and Roy weren't lying. grin
Gene I knew an old acquaintance from Moran Tx who had a classmate tie a stick on a buzzards leg. With a long fuze. Had ideas of watching the poor bird blow up riding a thermal.
Well buzzard finally got off ground and lit on ridge of barn roof. Apparently it's had for a buzzard to fly with a stick of dynamite tied to his leg. Results are not hard to guess.
Originally Posted by BangPop

I had a buddy back in school that tried shooting the lock out of an old 50 something car trunk with a 22lr from ~5 ft and had it bounce back and hit him in the thigh. He bled.
A few years ago, I had a 3" Master padlock that we had lost the key. I hung the lock on a fence post, backed off about 10', and a 180 grain Partition from my .30 Gibbs literally shattered that lock.
When I was young I tested this theory with a 20gauge slug and it worked great.

In other news, gas tanks on old trucks do not explode when you shoot them. Which in hindsight, was a good thing.

Travis
In other bad news, chairs don't break over someone's back like they do in the movies...
A bunch of buddies plinking at an old scrap yard one day with old milsurps. One guy shot an AP round into a steel plate a little too close. The core punched on through, the jacket and lead came back and whacked him in the forehead. He bled.

Once, in my youth, I thought it would be cool to have a coin with a bullet hole through it. I put a nickel on the trunk of an apple tree and backed off to about ten feet with my .22 (loaded with shorts.) That bullet came buzzing back and just nicked my left ear lobe....
I knew some wild young lads, back in the seventies. One lad was a bs artist, he was getting married in a week and had promised his fiancee he had $2 K in the bank. The sapsucker didn't have 2 nickels to rub together.
These geniuses had heard that you could rob a pay phone and get hundreds of $ in quarters.

The buddy of the engaged boy went to a pay phone at midnight, the engaged boy waited at the wheel of the getaway car. I think alcohol was involved. He closed the door to the booth, didn't want the sound to get out.
He pulled his Walther .32 acp and fired two shots at the lockbox. Dumb ass had a pillow case in his left hand, opened and ready to rake all the quarters in to.

The terrific noise of the gunshots in the little phone booth stunned the lad. He felt for the shattered lock so he could rake out the quarters. There was no damage to the lock box, as he said it, not a scratch on it.

The other dumb ass did get married on schedule, divorced 8 months later.
Classic!!
Originally Posted by FlaRick
I prefer dynamite. Just be sure to use enough.

In other news, just like in the movies, you can make a stick of dynamite explode if you shoot it with a rifle. You can take a Marlin .22 and shoot the stick at a range of 50 feet. It will not explode. After several such shots, the stick will be shot in two.
At that point, if you place the two half sticks back-to-back, and shoot them at a range of 10 feet, they will explode.*

*The explosion will knock you on your ass.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
In other news, just like in the movies, you can make a stick of dynamite explode if you shoot it with a rifle. You can take a Marlin .22 and shoot the stick at a range of 50 feet. It will not explode. After several such shots, the stick will be shot in two.
At that point, if you place the two half sticks back-to-back, and shoot them at a range of 10 feet, they will explode.*

They will explode at any range with a .243 Win.

Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Gene I knew an old acquaintance from Moran Tx who had a classmate tie a stick on a buzzards leg. With a long fuze. Had ideas of watching the poor bird blow up riding a thermal.
Well buzzard finally got off ground and lit on ridge of barn roof. Apparently it's had for a buzzard to fly with a stick of dynamite tied to his leg. Results are not hard to guess.

Oh man, that is too funny.
Originally Posted by Esox357
12 Gauge Slug!

There are "breaching" rounds that are made of powdered medal that reduces ricochet. Not sure if available for civilian market?

A friend claims 7-1/2's work great from about 3'.

Originally Posted by deflave

In other news, gas tanks on old trucks do not explode when you shoot them. Which in hindsight, was a good thing.

Travis

So true. Good to know I wasn't the only one who tested this not-so-great idea.
Originally Posted by Ol` Joe
Originally Posted by BangPop

I had a buddy back in school that tried shooting the lock out of an old 50 something car trunk with a 22lr from ~5 ft and had it bounce back and hit him in the thigh. He bled.

I had a .32S&W slug bounce back off of a steel hub cab. It also bounced off the double-fronted Carhartt logger pants. The latter was a good thing.
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

So true. Good to know I wasn't the only one who tested this not-so-great idea.

5 gal propane tanks don't explode either. But they do swirl around, and hiss loudly for awhile. smile

(safe range)
I do know it is not a good idea to make firecrackers from quarter sticks of dynamite. Lite them, and throw them on the ground. On top of a septic tank. The expression "xxx" hits the fan is appropriate.
I also have a swinging steel target in the back yard, with holes through the plate. Put there with 280grainers out of a .45colt.
You would be surprised.
I penetrated seven gallon milk jugs a week ago with a .44mag 310grainer. It's surprising what some of those things will do.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
5 gal propane tanks don't explode either.

(safe range)

Oxygen tanks, however, do.............. eek
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk

(safe range)

14 ouncers propane cylinders catch pretty good air�..

Barnes TSX bullets can 'boomerang' when shooting thick steel��making really spooky sounds when they whiz close overhead��.at least the first time�.not sure if they always sound the same or not�.
What you need is a 270...
Originally Posted by Dkotzy
A good hacksaw on the old stuff the new hardened locks chain you will need a grinder. don

+1
I would be looking for the angle grinder. Great tool.
Originally Posted by Hotload

+1

A cordless recip will be faster. That is why really high security locks allow the shaft to rotate to thwart this.
Hammers are hell on most padlocks.

A carbide bit and slightly modified dent pullers are straight UBER.

Clark
Originally Posted by Esox357
12 Gauge Slug!

Sintered copper they are made from. For attacking normal house locks birdshot works nearly as well.
Originally Posted by Glocktard
Originally Posted by Hotload

+1

A cordless recip will be faster. That is why really high security locks allow the shaft to rotate to thwart this.

I have a Milwaukee sawzall. Still think the grinder would be the better pick for the job.
Ever wonder why they market padlock cutters as "bolt cutters"? PC I guess. I've never had inclination to cut a bolt with one, but have a few locks.

[Linked Image]
It is a proven fact that you cannot cut down an oak tree with a few wraps of 70's era commercial Primacord, even if you add a couple of sticks of dynamite to the mix.

It is, however, a proven fact that you can split said oak tree to the ground with a couple of sticks of said dynamite placed in the Y of the trunk.

It's all about location.
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Ever wonder why they market padlock cutters as "bolt cutters"? PC I guess. I've never had inclination to cut a bolt with one, but have a few locks.

[Linked Image]

Supply sergeants referred to 4ft long bolt cutters as the "pass key". They will shatter those hardened GI padlocks
When I find an old padlock I want to open I just make a key. Easy if you know how and a LOT easier on the body.
http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-5-the-locks-o-truth/
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
It is a proven fact that you cannot cut down an oak tree with a few wraps of 70's era commercial Primacord, even if you add a couple of sticks of dynamite to the mix.

It is, however, a proven fact that you can split said oak tree to the ground with a couple of sticks of said dynamite placed in the Y of the trunk.

It's all about location.

Timber cutting charge calculations are on the GI Demo card. Probably find it on line.

The smart guy attacks the wood around the fasteners. You shoot out the bolt with birdshot on a doorlock. If its all steel/chains ect, you call up the breecher with the quickie saw
About 4 years ago some idiots tried to shoot their way into our shipping container we use for storage at our range. Husky Master Lock withstood several rounds , surrounding metal did not, they didn't get in.

(safe range)

We use to take old propane tack fill them with 2 gallon of gas, then fill them with 80 psi of air. place them in a plowed field, and back off 100 yards and hit them with a 30-06 tracer round. Make sure you don't use a field that hasent been plowed or you will need a fire truck

It's all about location.

Timber cutting charge calculations are on the GI Demo card. Probably find it on line.

Pounds dynamite equals trunk diameter squared divided by 40. Divide by 50 if you want to keep the trunk attached to the stump. I learned something at Combat Engineer school. Or just go P(ounds)is for plenty. Add until it looks right.

Nothing like the smell of a freshly blown up pine tree.

Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Laughed out loud at your story. My dad's favorite true story was just about like that. On the farm, he and his brothers used to get dynamite at the local hardware store, tie a half stick to a crow's feet (caught in a trap) light it and watch it fly off, with the predictable results. It was always great entertainment he told me.

One time they caught a pigeon, and prepped the pigeon in similar fashion. When they lit the fuse and turned it loose, it promptly flew and perched on a church steeple, blowing the steeple to smithereens. My grandfather was a man of few words and his actions after that had my dad and uncles out of the dynamite business in a New York second. My dad and uncles had to rebuild the church steeple by themselves minus each of their ass cheeks.
Once, in my youth, I thought it would be cool to have a coin with a bullet hole through it.

Ya need to call Paladin when you get those thoughts. Or Gene (Curdog), I hear that he has been practicing, but with washers so he can reuse them. miles
Sounds like some of the guys here might know the answer to this question: How does the explosive force of one stick of dynamite compare to a U.S. fragmentation grenade?
Anyone remember the television commercials for Master padlocks where they would shoot the lock with a rifle?
Originally Posted by old70

It's all about location.

Pounds dynamite equals trunk diameter squared divided by 40. Divide by 50 if you want to keep the trunk attached to the stump. I learned something at Combat Engineer school. Or just go P(ounds)is for plenty. Add until it looks right.

Does the amount required vary with the type of tree? Specifically oak vs. pine?
Had a friend that had to try out a .30-06 AP round on a short section of railroad rail that his dad used to keep the machine shed door open. I felt something on my boot and looked down to see a black smear along it. Friend was looking strange and holding his side; the jacket was tangled in his coat, but had managed to lay his side open.
Most people seem to forget or never knew just how elastic steel is. Some learn the hard way.
I tend to favor the cutting torch for lock work
Someone attempted to shoot the lock off the gate to our local range. There was a pool of blood on the ground some 10 ft back. They were never rounded up though.
I saw[just yesterday]Wesley Snipes blow a lock off of a chained door at a good and safe range of about 2', no problem.
Originally Posted by 1minute
Someone attempted to shoot the lock off the gate to our local range. There was a pool of blood on the ground some 10 ft back. They were never rounded up though.

That is almost as fantastic as the story in the Des Moines paper a few years back about an idiot who tried to steal anhydrous ammonia by breaking off the locked valve. The escaping product struck him in the front, just a bit below his belt buckle. Sometimes justice serves itself very well.
Originally Posted by old70

It's all about location.

Does the amount required vary with the type of tree? Specifically oak vs. pine?

Not in my experience. I've had pretty good success with both hard and softwoods using the formulas, but we mainly used C4, which takes a further conversion factor due to the relative power of the two explosives. You can also cut a fairly large tree with military det cord, but it takes a lot of wraps to generate the force for a larger tree.

Back before it became verboten, my platoon created several impromptu LZs and an abatis at Ft. A.P. Hill during training.
As a result, whenever the 'what caliber have you killed deer with' thread comes up, I can honestly answer 'C4'.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by 1minute

That is almost as fantastic as the story in the Des Moines paper a few years back about an idiot who tried to steal anhydrous ammonia by breaking off the locked valve. The escaping product struck him in the front, just a bit below his belt buckle. Sometimes justice serves itself very well.

That'll leave a mark.
Originally Posted by 1beaver_shooter
I tend to favor the cutting torch for lock work

A Broco is MUCH faster. Like a cross between a stick-welder and a plasma cutter. The rods are expensive I'm told. Takes a bit but you can cut a railroad track in two with one.

They are using these for disaster recovery now.

Do these threads ever take on a "life" all their own!?
When I taught locksmithing in the Navy I kept a box of Master padlocks without keys in my shop aboard the USS Grand Canyon. I used then to teach beginning lockpicking and impressioning because they are some of the easiest to learn on.

I don't see the need to ever shoot of cut one.
Old70,

Using your formula it would appear that the intrepid experimenters I mentioned simply didn't use enough Primacord to do the job.

I, of course, wasn't there to witness the experiment, all my information is hearsay and if my fingerprints were on the batteries used to set off the caps that would be strictly circumstantial.
Now l know how some of those trees made it into orbit! LOL

Scott...misspent youth huh. Bet your graduates thank you to this day. ;-)
I was on a road building project back in the day.

Powder man was a real old timer and deafer n a post.

Engineer told him to load the holes 3 feet from the bottom...
He hard 3 feet from the top!

They was deep holes.

Lordy when that bunch went off we got a helluva a surprise!
Huge rock pelting down all around us.

I turtled and speed prayed. Not a scratch! There was rocks as big as basketballs and larger all round us.

Fair bit of damage to equipment etc., but luckily no one injured.

Had to close the main hwy and it took hours to clear all the shot rock off to open it again.

Pretty deaf bunch for the next few days..lol.

Damn good to be lucky sometimes.
Anyone remember the television commercials for Master padlocks where they would shoot the lock with a rifle?

I seem to remeber Weatherby doing a commercial where they shot (and shattered) a master lock hanging on nail in front of a target.
Originally Posted by War_Eagle

I seem to remeber Weatherby doing a commercial where they shot (and shattered) a master lock hanging on nail in front of a target.

The one I remember was for Master; it showed the strike in slow motion, and then showed the padlock with a hole through the center, but still locked. I always wondered what the result would have been if the shot hadn't been dead center, but had hit one of the arms instead.

(safe range)

Oxygen tanks do not explode either.
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
I do know it is not a good idea to make firecrackers from quarter sticks of dynamite. Lite them, and throw them on the ground. On top of a septic tank. The expression "xxx" hits the fan is appropriate.
I also have a swinging steel target in the back yard, with holes through the plate. Put there with 280grainers out of a .45colt.
You would be surprised.
I penetrated seven gallon milk jugs a week ago with a .44mag 310grainer. It's surprising what some of those things will do.

I shot a 255 grain hard cast +P 45 ACP round through 9 one gallon milk jugs filled with water.
A friend has shot locks of with a 44 mag full power 240 grain loads. I don't advise doing this up close. Two end wrenches stuck into the hasp of the lock and pulled apart pops master locks apart unbelievably easy.

Some Darwin Award nominees here no doubt. I knew of some youths back in the days of more relaxed attitudes toward things that went boom in public areas who could have been too. I happen to remember what they called "center fuses" which were a large, water proof, fire cracker, allegedly about 1/8 a stick.

This, as I remembered involved about three youts, one driving the boat, two in back lighting the ordinance and tossing them overboard in varying areas in the prop wash, while the third, laughing heartily at this merry-making, dodged the booming water spouts as he skied the gauntlet.

y'all need to watch more TV. Everything explodes there when hit by a bullet. miles
I shot a master lock padlock off a gate with a .30-30 when somebody came by and stuffed a bunch of tooth picks into it. Only took one shot from about 30 feet away.
I musta lived a sheltered life, as I've had minimal exposure to such exercises.

I did shoot a golf ball once with a .22-250. It just simply vanished. It was on a large patch of bare ground, but no pieces found, anywhere.

There was also the time some chap left some 1/4" thick steel targets downrange. I tested them for him, and confirmed that even with varmint bullets a .22-250 will shoot through 1/4" of steel. Also interesting was a nearby paper target had many gray streaks on it. I finally realized the bullet core had melted, and splattered molten lead all around. It would have been damned unpleasant to be standing there.

My dad knew a guy who was fired from the sheriffs department for breaking into parking meters and stealing the coins.
Originally Posted by milespatton

y'all need to watch more TV. Everything explodes there when hit by a bullet. miles

In movies yes, just not in real life.
Originally Posted by Scott F
I don't see the need to ever shoot of cut one.

Spoil sport wink
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I musta lived a sheltered life, as I've had minimal exposure to such exercises.

I did shoot a golf ball once with a .22-250. It just simply vanished. It was on a large patch of bare ground, but no pieces found, anywhere.

There was also the time some chap left some 1/4" thick steel targets downrange. I tested them for him, and confirmed that even with varmint bullets a .22-250 will shoot through 1/4" of steel. Also interesting was a nearby paper target had many gray streaks on it. I finally realized the bullet core had melted, and splattered molten lead all around. It would have been damned unpleasant to be standing there.

A 22-250 with varmint bullets will penetrate through 3/8"" A-36 steel plate at 50 yards like Swiss cheese.
Originally Posted by jwp475

Well, chit. Pardon my confusing an earth rattling boom, flying fragments, and a 20 foot fireball for an explosion.

Sierria 130gr hp's made for 30-30 but shot out of a 308 will not penetrate 3/4" steel plate. They do make a 1/2" deep hole and a huge bump on the back. Glad I was 100 yards away.

Well, chit. Pardon my confusing an earth rattling boom, flying fragments, and a 20 foot fireball for an explosion.

If oxygen could acctualy do that then the atmosphere around you would have done the same. Oxygen is not explosive nor is it flammable oxygen supports combustion only if a fuel source is available. Simple science dude.
Originally Posted by tmitch

The Master Lock I had to punch at 25 yards with my Marlin 1894 44 mag didn't act like that. It opened rather nicely.

(It was a back gate going into Natl. Forest, and there was a fire back there, the fire fighters needed in, and I would rather shoot the lock than have them bulldoze my fence.)
I've found with det cord, it's usually a waste of time. Takes too many wraps and too much time. Gets one of the squad dizzy running around in circles, too. Much easier to tape a charge together and tape it where it needs to be, then run the det cord to the main. The army saved a lot of time and math when they went to the new initiators. I'm enough of an antique to have had to test burn time fuse.it's been too long since I've blown something up.

Old70,

Using your formula it would appear that the intrepid experimenters I mentioned simply didn't use enough Primacord to do the job.

I, of course, wasn't there to witness the experiment, all my information is hearsay and if my fingerprints were on the batteries used to set off the caps that would be strictly circumstantial.

If oxygen could acctualy do that then the atmosphere around you would have done the same. Oxygen is not explosive nor is it flammable oxygen supports combustion only if a fuel source is available. Simple science dude.

Yup, oxygen is not an explosive.

Now if someone mixed oxygen with a flammable gas in the proper proportions, one would be a spark away from an explosion.
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

Now if someone mixed oxygen with a flammable gas in the proper proportions, one would be a spark away from an explosion.

Spot on, 458 Lott!
I have done this same thing with a 270 WIN. grin
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

Oxygen is a catalyst. And 100% O2 will make any spark of combustion greatly magnified. If it happens to be a tracer bullet doing the sparkin you're probably going to have an entertaining result.
Originally Posted by postoak
Sounds like some of the guys here might know the answer to this question: How does the explosive force of one stick of dynamite compare to a U.S. fragmentation grenade?

Someone here must know this! I've spent so much time googling for an answer I can't even remember why I wanted to know, but I'm still curious.

Science away, dude. I'm not reporting something somebody else told me about, or a rumor I read about on the Internet, but something I saw with my own 2 eyes. I don't know the scientific explanation for it, nor do I really care. I shot an almost empty oxygen tank with a 270 WSM. It exploded, and flying fragments emerged from a big fireball. If that was a figment of my imagination, then I guess the burning leaves, that required me putting them out with a fire extinguisher, were just another layer of delusion.
Your arguing with the biggest fn know it all alive let it go.

So Fred, you think oxygen is explosive and /or lamable?

Science away, dude. I'm not reporting something somebody else told me about, or a rumor I read about on the Internet, but something I saw with my own 2 eyes. I don't know the scientific explanation for it, nor do I really care. I shot an almost empty oxygen tank with a 270 WSM. It exploded, and flying fragments emerged from a big fireball. If that was a figment of my imagination, then I guess the burning leaves, that required me putting them out with a fire extinguisher, were just another layer of delusion.

Well dude I'd want to know why or what happened. You want to stay ignorant that's your buissnes. Fact oxygen is not explosive or flameable alone.
If it was the oxygen as you claim then the oxygen in the air would have done the same , since you survived it us safe to say it didn't. Dude.

I do know that a trash bag filled with acetylene and oxygen, taped to one of those old traffic light control boxes with a gasoline trail "fuse," would knock out the lights.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I do know that a trash bag filled with acetylene and oxygen, taped to one of those old traffic light control boxes with a gasoline trail "fuse," would knock out the lights.

That is for sure and certain. Oxygen combined with the proper amount of fuel mixture and lit off is indeed a flamable/explosive mixture.

Indeed. Also, if you take same bag and hide it under the apprentices new truck after inserting a spark plug wire, it will result in a very startled apprentice and the neighboring business will call to see if everyone is ok........

No but if the bullet jacket or the container it was in turned to a spark it's not impossible that their was a fire ball.
Pretty sure that's why my grandad shut his o2 off to have a smoke. : laugh try being positive people will like you more.
Originally Posted by fredIII

No but if the bullet jacket or the container it was in turned to a spark it's not impossible that their was a fire ball.

If a fuel source was involved certainly, but it sure wasn't the oxygen alone.
Would you not think the fuel source could have been the sparks from impact.
Well dude I'd want to know why or what happened. You want to stay ignorant that's your buissnes. Fact oxygen is not explosive or flameable alone.
If it was the oxygen as you claim then the oxygen in the air would have done the same , since you survived it us safe to say it didn't. Dude.

I guess you just want to argue, rather than do any actual research to support your position. That's OK, it took me all of 2 minutes to do it for you. Oxygen itself is not explosive, or flammable, but is a catalyst which will violently amplify any spark or flame (like that caused by a rifle bullet striking a metal tank). Here is the relevant portion from Wikipedia:

Combustion and other hazards
An inside of some device, charred and apparently destroyed.
The interior of the Apollo 1 Command Module. Pure O
2 at higher than normal pressure and a spark led to a fire and the loss of the Apollo 1 crew.

Highly concentrated sources of oxygen promote rapid combustion. Fire and explosion hazards exist when concentrated oxidants and fuels are brought into close proximity; however, an ignition event, such as heat or a spark, is needed to trigger combustion.[106] Oxygen itself is not the fuel, but the oxidant. Combustion hazards also apply to compounds of oxygen with a high oxidative potential, such as peroxides, chlorates, nitrates, perchlorates, and dichromates because they can donate oxygen to a fire.

Concentrated O
2 will allow combustion to proceed rapidly and energetically.[106] Steel pipes and storage vessels used to store and transmit both gaseous and liquid oxygen will act as a fuel; and therefore the design and manufacture of O
2 systems requires special training to ensure that ignition sources are minimized.[106] The fire that killed the Apollo 1 crew in a launch pad test spread so rapidly because the capsule was pressurized with pure O
2 but at slightly more than atmospheric pressure, instead of the 1⁄3 normal pressure that would be used in a mission.[k][108]

Also, here's a video of the exact same phenomena I described. Did this one not happen either?

Exploding Oxygen Tank
Pretty sure that's why my grandad shut his o2 off to have a smoke. : laugh try being positive people will like you more.

Oxygen supports combustion 20 or so percent in the atmosphere. Pure oxygen supports combustion much more aggressively.

Stating a fact is not negative, facts should always be supported.
And the air we breath is only 21% o2 big diffrence that 100% just saying
I have the same problem I sound like a dik when I try to say something or correct some one but I'm working on it.
Think you owe hilhamhalk an apology
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

Great omission here love this story can't count how many times I have been with out eyebrows.

I guess you just want to argue, rather than do any actual research to support your position. That's OK, it took me all of 2 minutes to do it for you. Oxygen itself is not explosive, or flammable, but is a catalyst which will violently amplify any spark or flame (like that caused by a rifle bullet striking a metal tank). Here is the relevant portion from Wikipedia:

Combustion and other hazards
An inside of some device, charred and apparently destroyed.
The interior of the Apollo 1 Command Module. Pure O
2 at higher than normal pressure and a spark led to a fire and the loss of the Apollo 1 crew.

Highly concentrated sources of oxygen promote rapid combustion. Fire and explosion hazards exist when concentrated oxidants and fuels are brought into close proximity; however, an ignition event, such as heat or a spark, is needed to trigger combustion.[106] Oxygen itself is not the fuel, but the oxidant. Combustion hazards also apply to compounds of oxygen with a high oxidative potential, such as peroxides, chlorates, nitrates, perchlorates, and dichromates because they can donate oxygen to a fire.

Concentrated O
2 will allow combustion to proceed rapidly and energetically.[106] Steel pipes and storage vessels used to store and transmit both gaseous and liquid oxygen will act as a fuel; and therefore the design and manufacture of O
2 systems requires special training to ensure that ignition sources are minimized.[106] The fire that killed the Apollo 1 crew in a launch pad test spread so rapidly because the capsule was pressurized with pure O
2 but at slightly more than atmospheric pressure, instead of the 1⁄3 normal pressure that would be used in a mission.[k][108]

Also, here's a video of the exact same phenomena I described. Did this one not happen either?

Exploding Oxygen Tank

Dude I know this and stated nothing contrary

Think you owe hilhamhalk an apology

For what? Stating a fact?
Of course a pure O2 tank will explode if given ignition, given the concentration and the hydrocarbons all around us there is enough to ignite and cause the reaction.

Combustion needs an oxidizer which oxygen is, but an oxidizer by itself will not combust, it also needs a hydrocarbon to react with and an ignition source. Given our environment and a pure o2 tank and spark will cause a reaction at that concentration level and the oxygen at those levels will cause a violent explosion.

when I was about 14,I snuck my dads 22-250 out, and shot a master lock with probably 55 grain bullet.
the hit was off center to the left about a half inch or so, and completely penetrated the lock.
however, the lock would still function, and open and lock with the key.
wish I had kept it.
Would you not think the fuel source could have been the sparks from impact.

A spark is a heat source, not a fuel source.

These are your exact words:

"Oxygen tanks do not explode either."

"In movies yes, just not in real life."

"If oxygen could acctualy do that then the atmosphere around you would have done the same."

"If it was the oxygen as you claim then the oxygen in the air would have done the same , since you survived it us safe to say it didn't. Dude. "

Are you now saying you DIDN'T say them? Fact is, it did happen, and you were wrong. End of story, done deal, and good night. I'm not staying up all night arguing with you over this.

What in the hell do you think is incorrect? Hint NOTHING.
After having burnt smokeless powder, i once tried to burn smoe black powder to use the residue to stain brass. Made a cup out of aluminum foil dumper about 100 gr in and tried to light with a match. Was hard to light and I had to dig the match into the pile. When it lit I saw a flash, lost some hair and eyelashes, and the "cup" was laying upside down in the yard. The damn stuff dont burn that clean in my flintlock. The only ash to be found was at the ends of my hair.
Just be a man say your wrong and move on it will make you grow in to a better person.

(safe range)

Hummmmmm......
Originally Posted by heavywalker

(safe range)

Hummmmmm......

Oxygen is not explosive. A blowout from over pressure is a blowout, not an explosion. Dynamite explodes, C-4 explodes, if oxygen was explosive then the atmosphere would explodes. Geez.
Just be a man say your wrong and move on it will make you grow in to a better person.

Fred I would have no problem with doing that if I were wrong. Geez due what the hell is your problem?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z07_T373dGk
I have the same problem I sound like a dik when I try to say something or correct some one but I'm working on it.

I posted that earlier.
"Apollo 13, this is Houston"

"Stir tanks"

???
Correct oxygen is not explosive, however a pressurized oxygen tank will explode.

These are your exact words:

"Oxygen tanks do not explode either."

"In movies yes, just not in real life."

"If oxygen could acctualy do that then the atmosphere around you would have done the same."

"If it was the oxygen as you claim then the oxygen in the air would have done the same , since you survived it us safe to say it didn't. Dude. "

Are you now saying you DIDN'T say them? Fact is, it did happen, and you were wrong. End of story, done deal, and good night. I'm not staying up all night arguing with you over this.

(safe range)

Oxygen is not explosive nor is it flamable. Oxygen supports combustion and must have a fuel source. 100% oxygen will not burn with a heat source as long as there is no fuel.
Correct oxygen is not explosive, however a pressurized oxygen tank will explode.

You are talking about a blowout from over pressuring a vessel, not an explosion. Not the same.
Oxygen does not explode. It promotes burning. If your grandfather was on oxygen and his clothes were saturated they would not explode. However if he got a spark on his shirt it would be more likely to ignite. If it did light, it would burn at an extreme rate. Just like if you blow normal air through a fire to make it burn hotter, pure oxygen will make it burn hotter and faster.

RE Factor is the info you need. You'll have to look up the explosive filler for whatever hand grenade. Should be able to figure it out from there. Here's a link.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relative_effectiveness_factor
Oxygen does not explode. It promotes burning. If your grandfather was on oxygen and his clothes were saturated they would not explode. However if he got a spark on his shirt it would be more likely to ignite. If it did light, it would burn at an extreme rate. Just like if you blow normal air through a fire to make it burn hotter, pure oxygen will make it burn hotter and faster.

EXACTLY!
Oxygen is an oxidizer, and not flamable, but under pressure a tank will explode given an ignition source because of the concentration of oxygen and the hydrocarbons near the tank.

I know a guy who had two pounds of 3f that got wet. After drying for two years he decided to burn it to get rid of it. He threw a whole book of matches on the two pound pile watching the matches burn on top of the pile. With no luck he went inside to get more fire. While inside he got a belly ache and had to make poo. Once done he grabbed a lighter and went back to the pile of powder with a new plan make a trail like in the movies light it it will burn to the pile and puff gone. But reaching into that pile with those smoldering matches on top was a bad idea I spent 6 hr in the ER and a week cleaning the burns. Funny now then not so much.
Oxygen is an oxidizer, and not flamable, but under pressure a tank will explode given an ignition source because of the concentration of oxygen and the hydrocarbons near the tank.

Hydrocarbons is a fuel source, a fuel soure combined with oxygen and a heat source will most certainly, but not oxygen alone and that was/is the pont.
JWP you flat out said an O2 Tank would not explode, you are full of it. Oxygen is not flammable or explosive by itself but a tank will explode and many have.

You can sit here and argue all night long about oxygen not being flammable and the atmosphere not exploding and a lot of people will agree with you, because you are right. But you are flat out wrong on a tank not exploding.
Yep you owe him an apology be a man say SoORY

JWP you flat out said an O2 Tank would not explode, you are full of it. Oxygen is not flammable or explosive by itself but a tank will explode and many have.

You can sit here and argue all night long about oxygen not being flammable and the atmosphere not exploding and a lot of people will agree with you, because you are right. But you are flat out wrong on a tank not exploding.

This is what it is all about

(safe range)

. They were talking about shooting them.

In that context you think I am wrong? A hole shot into the tank and the product escaping under pressure does not explode or burn. He had a fire and that has to include a fuel source.

No freddy I do not owe an apology.
Your are a stubborn old fart for sure bet you x wife is the most patient person alive. JUST ADMIT YOUR WRONG SAY SORRY AND LET IT GO.
This may have already been addressed but the air we breathe is 90% plus nitrogen and the balance oxygen and trace gasses. A fairly benign mixture.

There has to be a fuel source for this to happens.
A fuel source can be introduced in a number of ways, doesn't change the fact that the tank exploded. It doesn't matter how it exploded it still exploded which you said doesn't happen.

Go to YouTube and look up exploding O2 tanks... lots of explosions to watch.
Your are a stubborn old fart for sure bet you x wife is the most patient person alive. JUST ADMIT YOUR WRONG SAY SORRY AND LET IT GO.

KMA I ain't wrong
A fuel source can be introduced in a number of ways, doesn't change the fact that the tank exploded. It doesn't matter how it exploded it still exploded which you said doesn't happen.

That was not the claim. Read it all

Read the post above in its entirety. Quotes and all
Stop stomping your feet and say sorry. It's easy once you admit to your self your were wrong.

BUSHMILLS PEACE OUT.

You are a piece of work Freddy.
A guy me told once that he stored several pounds of black powder inside his gun safe.
He hoped that a burglar might use a cutting torch to open the safe.

Originally Posted by whelennut
A guy me told once that he stored several pounds of black powder inside his gun safe.
He hoped that a burglar might use a cutting torch to open the safe.

Many years ago the editor of Gun World (IIRC) wrote about such an event happening. The guy had gone on a really long vacation and had stored his guns at a friends. On a lark he place his powders inside his safe. Soon to be deceased thief knew he was gone, broke in and borrowed his cutting torch.

The only bad news was a LOT of damage to the house.

A bullet at 2500fps might create a spark or two ventilating a steel tank.
Your going to get yelled at by the know it all if you keep making sence.
I was always amazed at how many sparks you'd see from bullets just hitting clay berms at night.

My father saw a guy have the same problem with Propane. Said it didn't end well...........

What is "sence"?
Originally Posted by dodgefan

RE Factor is the info you need. You'll have to look up the explosive filler for whatever hand grenade. Should be able to figure it out from there. Here's a link.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relative_effectiveness_factor

So, anyone know how much of what explosive is in a hand-grenade and how much a stick of dynamite weighs?
That mixture in a trash bag will go off prematurely by static electricity or magic or something. Glad I wasn't there that day. It resulted in loss of hearing, ringing in heads for many days, burnt beards, etc.
Any pressurized vessel can explode whether it holds steam or any pressurized gas. Shake up a soda can and shoot it and it will explode, though the contents certainly won't burn.

An explosion is the rapid chemical reaction or burning that creates either a subsonic pressure wave, a deflagration, or a supersonic pressure wave, a detonation. The fuel and oxidizer can be solid, liquid or gas or a combination of states.

Hence oxygen will not cause an explosion unless there is a fuel at the proper ratio and a heat source to ignite it.

Also you do not need pure oxygen for an explosion, mix methane at 5% with 95% air, add an ignition source and you will get an explosion. If you want a more energetic explosion mix roughly 1 part methane to 5 parts oxygen.
Releasing compressed pure oxygen into a cloud of flammable particulates is a good recipe for a fireball and explosion. While it's true that oxygen doesn't burn, it is a terrific oxidizer (which was the cause of the tragic Apollo capsule fire - where quite probably, aluminum wiring ignited in the presence of a pure oxygen atmosphere. Of course, aluminum doesn't burn either - in a natural earth atmosphere of 20% oxygen.)

Anyone who doesn't believe that dust/particulates/ fine detritus can explode hasn't paid much attention to the horrible explosions that have happened in numerous grain elevators over the years. Add pure oxygen to that combination and a spontaneous explosion isn't too surprising.

What is "sence"?

"So Fred, you think oxygen is explosive and /or lamable?"

It the same thing as lamable. You really are a little man if your going to start pointing out spelling and punctuation errors to avoid the fact you are wrong and saying sorry.

"So Fred, you think oxygen is explosive and /or lamable?"

It the same thing as lamable.

Oh, c'mon! We all know what he was referring to with "explosive and /or lam able"�.

That's what happens when when you misjudge distance and manage to drop a cup and core into a leg of your quarry and it explodes and makes the critter lame. Generally you can expect to expend plenty of oxygen in the subsequent pursuit.

This stuff ain't rocket science. laugh

(Prove me wrong; I dare you. grin )
© 24hourcampfire