Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Oxygen tanks do not explode either.

Well, chit. Pardon my confusing an earth rattling boom, flying fragments, and a 20 foot fireball for an explosion.

If oxygen could acctualy do that then the atmosphere around you would have done the same. Oxygen is not explosive nor is it flammable oxygen supports combustion only if a fuel source is available. Simple science dude.

Yup, oxygen is not an explosive.

Now if someone mixed oxygen with a flammable gas in the proper proportions, one would be a spark away from an explosion.

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

Well, chit. Pardon my confusing an earth rattling boom, flying fragments, and a 20 foot fireball for an explosion.

If oxygen could acctualy do that then the atmosphere around you would have done the same. Oxygen is not explosive nor is it flammable oxygen supports combustion only if a fuel source is available. Simple science dude.

Now if someone mixed oxygen with a flammable gas in the proper proportions, one would be a spark away from an explosion.

Spot on, 458 Lott!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have done this same thing with a 270 WIN. grin

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

Oxygen is a catalyst. And 100% O2 will make any spark of combustion greatly magnified. If it happens to be a tracer bullet doing the sparkin you're probably going to have an entertaining result.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by postoak
Sounds like some of the guys here might know the answer to this question: How does the explosive force of one stick of dynamite compare to a U.S. fragmentation grenade?

Someone here must know this! I've spent so much time googling for an answer I can't even remember why I wanted to know, but I'm still curious.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Science away, dude. I'm not reporting something somebody else told me about, or a rumor I read about on the Internet, but something I saw with my own 2 eyes. I don't know the scientific explanation for it, nor do I really care. I shot an almost empty oxygen tank with a 270 WSM. It exploded, and flying fragments emerged from a big fireball. If that was a figment of my imagination, then I guess the burning leaves, that required me putting them out with a fire extinguisher, were just another layer of delusion.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Your arguing with the biggest fn know it all alive let it go.

Last edited by fredIII; 01/26/15.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

So Fred, you think oxygen is explosive and /or lamable?

Last edited by jwp475; 01/26/15.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Science away, dude. I'm not reporting something somebody else told me about, or a rumor I read about on the Internet, but something I saw with my own 2 eyes. I don't know the scientific explanation for it, nor do I really care. I shot an almost empty oxygen tank with a 270 WSM. It exploded, and flying fragments emerged from a big fireball. If that was a figment of my imagination, then I guess the burning leaves, that required me putting them out with a fire extinguisher, were just another layer of delusion.

Well dude I'd want to know why or what happened. You want to stay ignorant that's your buissnes. Fact oxygen is not explosive or flameable alone.
If it was the oxygen as you claim then the oxygen in the air would have done the same , since you survived it us safe to say it didn't. Dude.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do know that a trash bag filled with acetylene and oxygen, taped to one of those old traffic light control boxes with a gasoline trail "fuse," would knock out the lights.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I do know that a trash bag filled with acetylene and oxygen, taped to one of those old traffic light control boxes with a gasoline trail "fuse," would knock out the lights.

That is for sure and certain. Oxygen combined with the proper amount of fuel mixture and lit off is indeed a flamable/explosive mixture.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Indeed. Also, if you take same bag and hide it under the apprentices new truck after inserting a spark plug wire, it will result in a very startled apprentice and the neighboring business will call to see if everyone is ok........

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

No but if the bullet jacket or the container it was in turned to a spark it's not impossible that their was a fire ball.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Pretty sure that's why my grandad shut his o2 off to have a smoke. : laugh try being positive people will like you more.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by fredIII

No but if the bullet jacket or the container it was in turned to a spark it's not impossible that their was a fire ball.

If a fuel source was involved certainly, but it sure wasn't the oxygen alone.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Would you not think the fuel source could have been the sparks from impact.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Well dude I'd want to know why or what happened. You want to stay ignorant that's your buissnes. Fact oxygen is not explosive or flameable alone.
If it was the oxygen as you claim then the oxygen in the air would have done the same , since you survived it us safe to say it didn't. Dude.

I guess you just want to argue, rather than do any actual research to support your position. That's OK, it took me all of 2 minutes to do it for you. Oxygen itself is not explosive, or flammable, but is a catalyst which will violently amplify any spark or flame (like that caused by a rifle bullet striking a metal tank). Here is the relevant portion from Wikipedia:

Combustion and other hazards
An inside of some device, charred and apparently destroyed.
The interior of the Apollo 1 Command Module. Pure O
2 at higher than normal pressure and a spark led to a fire and the loss of the Apollo 1 crew.

Highly concentrated sources of oxygen promote rapid combustion. Fire and explosion hazards exist when concentrated oxidants and fuels are brought into close proximity; however, an ignition event, such as heat or a spark, is needed to trigger combustion.[106] Oxygen itself is not the fuel, but the oxidant. Combustion hazards also apply to compounds of oxygen with a high oxidative potential, such as peroxides, chlorates, nitrates, perchlorates, and dichromates because they can donate oxygen to a fire.

Concentrated O
2 will allow combustion to proceed rapidly and energetically.[106] Steel pipes and storage vessels used to store and transmit both gaseous and liquid oxygen will act as a fuel; and therefore the design and manufacture of O
2 systems requires special training to ensure that ignition sources are minimized.[106] The fire that killed the Apollo 1 crew in a launch pad test spread so rapidly because the capsule was pressurized with pure O
2 but at slightly more than atmospheric pressure, instead of the 1⁄3 normal pressure that would be used in a mission.[k][108]

Also, here's a video of the exact same phenomena I described. Did this one not happen either?

Exploding Oxygen Tank

Last edited by HilhamHawk; 01/26/15.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by fredIII
Pretty sure that's why my grandad shut his o2 off to have a smoke. : laugh try being positive people will like you more.

Oxygen supports combustion 20 or so percent in the atmosphere. Pure oxygen supports combustion much more aggressively.

Stating a fact is not negative, facts should always be supported.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
And the air we breath is only 21% o2 big diffrence that 100% just saying

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have the same problem I sound like a dik when I try to say something or correct some one but I'm working on it.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (264mag, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 51 invisible), 1,852 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,059
Posts18,521,394
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.