-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oxygen does not explode. It promotes burning. If your grandfather was on oxygen and his clothes were saturated they would not explode. However if he got a spark on his shirt it would be more likely to ignite. If it did light, it would burn at an extreme rate. Just like if you blow normal air through a fire to make it burn hotter, pure oxygen will make it burn hotter and faster.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by postoak
Sounds like some of the guys here might know the answer to this question: How does the explosive force of one stick of dynamite compare to a U.S. fragmentation grenade?

RE Factor is the info you need. You'll have to look up the explosive filler for whatever hand grenade. Should be able to figure it out from there. Here's a link.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relative_effectiveness_factor

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Oxygen does not explode. It promotes burning. If your grandfather was on oxygen and his clothes were saturated they would not explode. However if he got a spark on his shirt it would be more likely to ignite. If it did light, it would burn at an extreme rate. Just like if you blow normal air through a fire to make it burn hotter, pure oxygen will make it burn hotter and faster.

EXACTLY!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Oxygen is an oxidizer, and not flamable, but under pressure a tank will explode given an ignition source because of the concentration of oxygen and the hydrocarbons near the tank.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I know a guy who had two pounds of 3f that got wet. After drying for two years he decided to burn it to get rid of it. He threw a whole book of matches on the two pound pile watching the matches burn on top of the pile. With no luck he went inside to get more fire. While inside he got a belly ache and had to make poo. Once done he grabbed a lighter and went back to the pile of powder with a new plan make a trail like in the movies light it it will burn to the pile and puff gone. But reaching into that pile with those smoldering matches on top was a bad idea I spent 6 hr in the ER and a week cleaning the burns. Funny now then not so much.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by heavywalker
Oxygen is an oxidizer, and not flamable, but under pressure a tank will explode given an ignition source because of the concentration of oxygen and the hydrocarbons near the tank.

Hydrocarbons is a fuel source, a fuel soure combined with oxygen and a heat source will most certainly, but not oxygen alone and that was/is the pont.

Last edited by jwp475; 01/26/15.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
JWP you flat out said an O2 Tank would not explode, you are full of it. Oxygen is not flammable or explosive by itself but a tank will explode and many have.

You can sit here and argue all night long about oxygen not being flammable and the atmosphere not exploding and a lot of people will agree with you, because you are right. But you are flat out wrong on a tank not exploding.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Yep you owe him an apology be a man say SoORY

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
JWP you flat out said an O2 Tank would not explode, you are full of it. Oxygen is not flammable or explosive by itself but a tank will explode and many have.

You can sit here and argue all night long about oxygen not being flammable and the atmosphere not exploding and a lot of people will agree with you, because you are right. But you are flat out wrong on a tank not exploding.

This is what it is all about

Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
5 gal propane tanks don't explode either.

(safe range)

Oxygen tanks, however, do.............. eek

Oxygen tanks do not explode either.
. They were talking about shooting them.

In that context you think I am wrong? A hole shot into the tank and the product escaping under pressure does not explode or burn. He had a fire and that has to include a fuel source.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

No freddy I do not owe an apology.

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Your are a stubborn old fart for sure bet you x wife is the most patient person alive. JUST ADMIT YOUR WRONG SAY SORRY AND LET IT GO.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
This may have already been addressed but the air we breathe is 90% plus nitrogen and the balance oxygen and trace gasses. A fairly benign mixture.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Oxygen tanks do not explode either.

Well, chit. Pardon my confusing an earth rattling boom, flying fragments, and a 20 foot fireball for an explosion.

If oxygen could acctualy do that then the atmosphere around you would have done the same. Oxygen is not explosive nor is it flammable oxygen supports combustion only if a fuel source is available. Simple science dude.

Science away, dude. I'm not reporting something somebody else told me about, or a rumor I read about on the Internet, but something I saw with my own 2 eyes. I don't know the scientific explanation for it, nor do I really care. I shot an almost empty oxygen tank with a 270 WSM. It exploded, and flying fragments emerged from a big fireball. If that was a figment of my imagination, then I guess the burning leaves, that required me putting them out with a fire extinguisher, were just another layer of delusion.

There has to be a fuel source for this to happens.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
A fuel source can be introduced in a number of ways, doesn't change the fact that the tank exploded. It doesn't matter how it exploded it still exploded which you said doesn't happen.

Go to YouTube and look up exploding O2 tanks... lots of explosions to watch.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by fredIII
Your are a stubborn old fart for sure bet you x wife is the most patient person alive. JUST ADMIT YOUR WRONG SAY SORRY AND LET IT GO.

KMA I ain't wrong

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
A fuel source can be introduced in a number of ways, doesn't change the fact that the tank exploded. It doesn't matter how it exploded it still exploded which you said doesn't happen.

Go to YouTube and look up exploding O2 tanks... lots of explosions to watch.

That was not the claim. Read it all

Read the post above in its entirety. Quotes and all

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Stop stomping your feet and say sorry. It's easy once you admit to your self your were wrong.

BUSHMILLS PEACE OUT.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

You are a piece of work Freddy.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
A guy me told once that he stored several pounds of black powder inside his gun safe.
He hoped that a burglar might use a cutting torch to open the safe.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by whelennut
A guy me told once that he stored several pounds of black powder inside his gun safe.
He hoped that a burglar might use a cutting torch to open the safe.

Many years ago the editor of Gun World (IIRC) wrote about such an event happening. The guy had gone on a really long vacation and had stored his guns at a friends. On a lark he place his powders inside his safe. Soon to be deceased thief knew he was gone, broke in and borrowed his cutting torch.

The only bad news was a LOT of damage to the house.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

472 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 2ndwind, 1badf350, 257 roberts, 48 invisible), 1,772 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,036
Posts18,520,993
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.