Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Originally Posted by pinotguy
I'm in the biz and "Yes", this truly is the "Golden Age" for American bourbons. By and large, forget about Pappy, Orphan Barrel, and Buffalo Trace Antique Collection stuff these days. Can't find it and, if you do, you'll pay through the nose. Incredibly over-priced, at least for the time being. This phenomenon is even spilling over into "every day" bourbons - Weller Antique 107, Weller 12 Year, Basil Hayden's, etc. Hell, this past Fall, I grabbed a bottle of Old Forester Birthday Bourbon for about $44 and could have easily flipped it for $250 - $300 on the gray market. Chose to hold on to it and am enjoying it slowly, as I think I'm appreciating it for the right reasons.

Bottom line - it is pure insanity right now when it comes to "collectible" bourbons. This will pass but it may take a while. As noted earlier, the Asian market isn't helping things. They caused a stir about 8 - 10 years ago with Bordeaux/Burgundy but that bubble eventually burst, so things should return to normal. Here's hoping, at least.

Interesting. My family is big time "in the biz" and have no problem at all getting me any of the Pappy's, Blanton's, Col E.H. Taylor, Eagle Rare, Booker's, and all the misc "small batches" etc, etc at a pretty good discount.... maybe a regional thing?

You must be in the Ohio, TN or KY regions because that's where it all turns up. I have all those names you mentioned but most came out of Nashville to Louisville areas. I also have a few store owner/mgr guys in VA and SC that take care of me. VA is great because it's state control so they contain the markup. No surprise to walk in and see 20 bottles of Elmer T on sale at 29 bucks. 75 on the net! eek

FWIW---Do not buy the new purple bottle of Black Maple Hill out of Oregon. It sucks. Old red label only!! Those guys really screwed up.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by lastround
Good stuff. Especially when it is brought up from Tennessee.

[Linked Image]

With ice and a little bit of Coke.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman
I found my bottle hotter than a couple of bottles of George T. Stagg at 140+ proof.

I'm no stranger to Islay whisky. A favorite of mine is my cask strength, unfiltered Laphroaig. I don't cut that one either. Nor do I cut my Lagavulin, Ardbeg, Port Ellen, Caol Ila, Bruichladdich, or Bowmore.

You want hot Stagg try the JR! Dang!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You guys are killing me.

I am in need of a new bottle, and will be making that run shortly. I have been trying to keep from buying the expensive stuff lately. I do love the Elijah 12 YO for the price. It is dark and complex. I may just get a bottle of one of the old standbys, Woodford or Buffalo Trace. I like Bulleit also.

I had some Evan Williams white label about a month ago. I was surprised at how smooth it was for $16 a bottle.

Not sure what I'm going to come home with.....

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The EC12 and EW Single Barrel are great values for the money. On the EW try to go as far back as you can for the vintage. 1999-2003 were consistently very good. I would suggest stocking up on a little Buffalo Trace as even it's becoming a short supply product. Anything out of the BT line is in demand.

Another great choice is Bowman Brothers Small Batch made in Virginia. They actually use the Buffalo Trace mashbill. The small batch can be had for about 23 bucks. Single Barrel John Bowman is around 40 bucks.

Go Nats!!!!

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The Jim Beam 12yo and and single barrel are excellent. Love the Knob Creek commercial (as well as the bourbon).

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
KC is about the only bourbon I consume these days.

FJB & FJT
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Woodford is my favorite, but I also like Buffalo Trace very much and this weekend I tried Bulleit and it was pretty good too.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
BT seems very "smoky" to me, but not bad.

FJB & FJT
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
If you get a chance to try one called "Bib and Tucker" You owe it to yourself.

Man, I am hooked.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Raeford
BT seems very "smoky" to me, but not bad.

Maybe that's why I like it, being a single malt drinker primarily, and my favorites are Talisker and Lagavulin.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thankfully I can appreciate bourbons that are either wheated, or high rye so long as they are quality. Any love out there for Four Roses Small Batch? I really enjoy that one even though it is a gentle bourbon. There are days though when only a high rye content bruiser of a bourbon will do. I have a bottle of bourbon from a local craft distiller that makes a great wheat pot-stilled vodka and I've had their very pricey buckwheat bourbon by the glass a couple years ago. It's called "Most Righteous Bourbon" from the Catskill Distilling Company. It's in my queue. I'm hoping that eventually some of these craft distillers can put an emphasis on quality back into the whiskey industry the way that craft breweries did to the beer industry. If it's going to happen, it will take some time.

Last edited by cooper57m; 01/26/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ended up buying Buffalo Trace.

I gotta say, BT is certainly not bad. The BT I have now is very light in color. After drinking some others for a while now, it seems the BT has decidedly less character/complexity than the Woodford and Elijah Craig 12 YO. Bulleit is better also, IMO.

I almost went with Dickel 12 YO or 1792. I will probably buy some 1792 next. I may just be off the BT bandwagon.

But I will have another glass now to make sure..............

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
BF is about half the price of Woodford...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BT is $27 here. Woodford is $37.

Elijah 12 is same price as BT and worlds better.

Bulleit is also same price as BT. Dickel 12 YO is $2 less...

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
EC 12 yr. is one of the steals in the whiskey world.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Without a doubt...........

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
EC?

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you can find Weller Special Reserve or Weller 12YO it's a steal at reasonable prices. Some say the Weller 12 is the same as Old Van Winkle Lot B 12. But I would defer to the poster who said he was in the business for the definitive.

1792 is good.

Try the Mitcher's that Scott brought up. I wound up with a couple of 20 year old Mitcher's before it became obscenely expensive. But the Mitcher's US No 1 bourbon at 40 bucks is outstanding.

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Kinda scares me. I LOVE my EC 12.

We bought Wiser's Very Old (18 YO) whiskey for $40/bottle, frequently, not long ago. It was definitely another STEAL. Well it is now $78/bottle. Word seems to have gotten out.....

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

681 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,585 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,837
Posts18,478,100
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.