Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pointer
I think I would have put the car money into my business that I was not too long ago looking for people to invest in... wink

it's doing just fine, i am rather glad now that i am winging this one on my own... more coin in my pocket for "project" cars and old gmc's
i have 2 84' jimmies and they are projects as well

mercy triumphs over judgement
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
i will use 8.5 qts. of mobil 1 synthetic and replace the filter... is the filter still located underside right next to the drain plug for the 99?

can i use a heavier weight trany fluid to try to solve some of the issues? maybe an intercooler for the trany?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
For quite some time they have run full synthetics for all lubes. Not sure about 99 but the owners manual should tell you. Big balls buying one with that mileage.

Shoulda jumped for a Svenske-made machine instead. They have their own special price-point with respect to repairs, but at least they don't need much and they last lonnngg.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
i have been realizing what kind of a car i have with the 750 but i still like it a lot and i will do everything i can on the cheap... but it might not be that easy. still, it won't be a daily driver and for 2 k, i can always justify having it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An oil change won't fix the the tranny. A tranny change will.

Sean
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by whambasted
i have been realizing what kind of a car i have with the 750 but i still like it a lot and i will do everything i can on the cheap... but it might not be that easy. still, it won't be a daily driver and for 2 k, i can always justify having it.

Good thing your dad is a BMW mechanic. Did you have him check out yours before buying it? How much is a new transmission?

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
thanks for all the honest answers fellas
i forgot to mention that my dad is a bmw mechanic.

No more questions needed then? Dad will have all the answers.
Unless your Dad is Badger in GA. He's has one young one out in WY or Montana going to school.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
i found one for 1500.00

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
my dad and i are like oil and water though....sum#####

U
U
My two cents....spend the money to have trans diagnosed at dealer or by your dad. Find a good used trans from a reputable salvage yard (there are quite a few) if that is the problem. Make sure they will stand behind it for 6 months at least, most will. The V12 can be a money pit but it sounds like you bought it right. Search for good salvage parts when needed since BMW thinks quite highly of their genuine parts (expensive). Find a dealer who sells under list price for the oem parts you need....check Ebay, there are a number of authorized dealers who do. Use the genuine BMW brand oil sold at the dealer 5W-30 full synthetic. It is a good oil and cheaper than mobil one by far. Use a genuine oil filter, it's worth the extra few bucks. The recommended oil change interval is 15000 miles. I would do it every 7500 since you have some miles on it. Check bimmerpost.com as there are quite a few knowledgeable and helpful people on their....just be careful as there are also a number of dumbasses. The E38 7 series is one of the best BMW's ever built. Have fun.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
really, the trany problems seems intermittent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
is it worth the 2 k i paid for it?

Depends on how you feel about the continued payments required to keep it on the road. A fun car with lots of nice features and great driving characteristics, but seems "over-engineered" in some ways (like the V12) and those aspects lead to higher costs of parts and service. Those auto trans are well-known for breaking and expensive repair. Just wince, smile and enjoy the driving.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CCCC
is it worth the 2 k i paid for it?

Depends on how you feel about the continued payments required to keep it on the road. A fun car with lots of nice features and great driving characteristics, but seems "over-engineered" in some ways (like the V12) and those aspects lead to higher costs of parts and service. Those auto trans are well-known for breaking and expensive repair. Just wince, smile and enjoy the driving.

that was a very polite reply, i thank you sir.... this car is the apple of my eye and it is very fun to drive.

anyone ever put a can of seafoam in an engine like this?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Many times serious transmission problems start out as intermittent.

Consider accumulating a number of parts cars to support this 750. My uncle would pick a reasonable priced car, buy a number of them and store the parts in his basement. Last one I remember was pink pintos. I am sure he saved a lots of money. He was an executive at Boeing in charge of the avionics on AWACs. smile

Last edited by ConradCA; 01/31/15.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks, parts look cheap on ebay... must be a lot of guys parting them out. good for me

bimmerforums looks like a really good one

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You got a lot of car for your money. Will it be expensive, yea, most likely. I picked mine up at the factory. The Engineer comes out in a white lab coat and goes over the whole car with you. Drove mine around Germany for 6 months, brought it back and had a great car, although thee a/c could have been a little better. still on of the better cars I've ever owned. If you like driving, you'll like it.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
i will use 8.5 qts. of mobil 1 synthetic and replace the filter... is the filter still located underside right next to the drain plug for the 99?

can i use a heavier weight trany fluid to try to solve some of the issues? maybe an intercooler for the trany?

Ask your dad.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From a 1999 Motor Trend article:

In everyday use, this stately BMW V-12 is the ultimate gentleman. Its civilized and mannerly presence blends harmoniously with the 750iL's overall luxurious character. When called to action, however, it's eager to respond. Producing 326 horsepower and a smoldering 361 pound-feet of torque, this 12-cylinder doesn't explode with power; rather it voraciously consumes blurring pavement in great, long, hungry gulps. Stepping into the throttle is like uncorking a willing genie from its bottle. Its initial smooth lunge transforms into a surreal rush that sharpens your senses, stokes your adrenaline, and doesn't let up until the speedo taps against its limiter at 155 mph. Holding your foot into the throttle is like dipping into a neverending well of pure, sweet acceleration. Adding to the appeal of this rush is a low, assertive rumble from its exhaust, one that commands respect without resorting to the crass decibel display of more ostentatious cars. With three separate catalytic converters to scrub the emissions, BMW's V-12 is also conscientious enough to earn a California Low-Emission Vehicle rating. Its technological edge is further displayed in such things as an industry-first liquid-cooled alternator that's smaller and quieter, yet generates more power than a conventional unit.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_9904_1999_bmw_750il/#ixzz3QS9VzoXh

A good, professional overhaul on that V-12 engine shouldn't cost more than...say...maybe $1,000. per cylinder? And I wonder what it costs to replace that liquid-cooled alternator? Good luck.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Have it diagnosed by a dealer or a good independent shop that has the correct software. The transmission (ZF 5HP24) is electronically controlled and has it's own control unit in the "E box" under the hood. It's possible you may have a harness problem or an oil contaminated connector on the transmission case. Also check the engine to chassis grounds and most importantly replace the relays that power up the DME and the Trans control units. Lots and transmissions have been replaced only for the original problem to resurface. Stuck in 4th gear at times means it is in default mode. 4th and reverse are the only 2 mechanically selected gears in that transmission. 1st through 5th (excluding 4th) are controlled by solenoids.

Last edited by badger; 01/31/15.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
From a 1999 Motor Trend article:

In everyday use, this stately BMW V-12 is the ultimate gentleman. Its civilized and mannerly presence blends harmoniously with the 750iL's overall luxurious character. When called to action, however, it's eager to respond. Producing 326 horsepower and a smoldering 361 pound-feet of torque, this 12-cylinder doesn't explode with power; rather it voraciously consumes blurring pavement in great, long, hungry gulps. Stepping into the throttle is like uncorking a willing genie from its bottle. Its initial smooth lunge transforms into a surreal rush that sharpens your senses, stokes your adrenaline, and doesn't let up until the speedo taps against its limiter at 155 mph. Holding your foot into the throttle is like dipping into a neverending well of pure, sweet acceleration. Adding to the appeal of this rush is a low, assertive rumble from its exhaust, one that commands respect without resorting to the crass decibel display of more ostentatious cars. With three separate catalytic converters to scrub the emissions, BMW's V-12 is also conscientious enough to earn a California Low-Emission Vehicle rating. Its technological edge is further displayed in such things as an industry-first liquid-cooled alternator that's smaller and quieter, yet generates more power than a conventional unit.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_9904_1999_bmw_750il/#ixzz3QS9VzoXh

A good, professional overhaul on that V-12 engine shouldn't cost more than...say...maybe $1,000. per cylinder? And I wonder what it costs to replace that liquid-cooled alternator? Good luck.

That excerpt shows you how far we've come in engine technology. A 326hp V-12? That is an underpowered V-8 pick-up. For that matter, Hondas, Nissans, and whatever else you want to name are getting that much and more in V-6s and mid-sized family sedans and doing 0-60 in the fives.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

171 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 32 invisible), 2,186 guests, and 1,035 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,704
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.