Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm thinking my recurve with a boat load of carbon arrows and maybe some of those Rambo HE tips........

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Eric308
1)Most of the folks planning for some post-apocalyptic mad max existence thankfully don't have the psychopathic mindset needed to survive in such a situation.

2)The gun hoarders would most likely be a hindrance to societal recovery after such an event.

3)Lots of these survivalist types, while in their cubicles, like to think of a world where they could finally settle some scores and be warlords.

Lost my mind some time ago. Society should be hindered for without pain there is no appreciation. I don't have a cubical either. Guess I'm [bleep], all I got is a bad attitude and an icepick.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

By far the best SHTF weapon is a large and well diversified, well dispersed net worth.
IMO you are both right and wrong. You give the impression that the stock market, the dollar and the banks are going to save you. You've mentioned having some gold but most here certainly see you as a big money wannabe. The stock market not only can collapse, but has several times. Of course, you're more big-time than this but most here aren't-a friend of mine, a gun dealer, lost over 100 grand when Enron collapsed. For a rural Kansan of what, ten years ago, that was pretty harsh. The government has become so desperate and venal that nothing they did regarding banking/money would surprise me. How will the debt ever be taken care of? Default? The dollar would go to nothing. You've got let's say a million in savings and overnight it is worth maybe $10000. You've got another million in the stock market and it goes overnight to $100k. You've got $100000 in Gold, it's secure, right? Another poster told the story of Roosevelt's gold confiscation. Where do you keep yours? (I am not asking and don't want an answer-it's rhetorical.) $100 grand in a gunsafe is pretty insecure. I don't care how safe you think your Fort Knox is. So you've got 90% of it in a lock box at the bank. This member's grandmother had hers in a safety deposit box in a Dallas bank. The Bank employees were deputized and went through everybody's boxes, removing the gold. So she had paper money when she went to take it out. Think about all your gold hoard confiscated even at today's dollar exchange, let alone after a complete collapse. So not counting real estate, you've went from $2.1 mil net worth to like $120,000 overnight. But hey, your real estate is worth something, right? Wrong. Nobody has any "money" except the big boys. The real estate market tanks, plus they raise the already exorbitant Cali real estate taxes and you're looking at being completely out of money and unable to pay them in like, two years. But hey, you've got your hoard of weapons that you secretly bought never letting any of your "buds" on the 'fire know you were taking their advice. You've got all that ammo, right? Where in the hell are you going to put all your shixt if you're homeless.

During the Great Depression, all us Kansas hicks, Missouri Pukes, Arkies and last but not least, Okies that caravanned out to the San Joaquin valley and picked fruit lost our lands not because we couldn't tough it out eatin' coons and jackrabbits and scratching a bit of wheat out of the ground. We lost the land because the government demanded their taxes. People who hadn't been in debt, suddenly were, and then a couple of years later, BOOM! They're wondering what hit them as they pile stuff on their Clampettmobile and head for Bakersfield.

If I were you, I'd spend less time trolling the rubes and take advantage of the fact that you've got more money than most of us here.

Last edited by ColeYounger; 01/27/12.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
. . .
I think we've got you pretty much figured,.... . . .

You keep talking like you have an army behind you. You, and you only, are the one who has been quite obnoxious throughout this thread. Nobody else has been rude or tried to act like a know it all. You are the first person on the fire, in over two years I have posted here, who has made a fool of themselves when discussing a thread I have started. You sound like you have an "assembly" of your friends who agree with your pronouncements, but all I hear is crickets chirping. Like I say, I don't know you and you don't know me, but I bet we could be friends if we met face to face. Why the animosity? Its just a conversation about possible scenarios. More entertainment than seriousness. Maybe "imagination" is a better word. Relax and enjoy life. It is too short.

You're about to get your sorry azz kicked, and your name taken...

If I wanted coaching , or steering,... I'd avoid YOU like the plague.

You, are something far to new and toxic here to pull off whatever chit you're trying.

Take THAT to the [bleep]' bank,....and psychoanalize that,all to tears Troll

"Weapons",......start with a brain, and a lack of agenda

GTC

I just felt now is the time to let this Arizona trailer trash know you can kiss my Okie azz! grin

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Here is an interesting link to read incase the S does ever HTF. Bosnian Survivalist

Edited to add.....it's not all about guns, though they remain a significant part. It answers quite a few questions I had about day to day life. Who survived and who didn't. Quite a few died of disease.

Last edited by Dave93; 02/27/13.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
. . . During the Great Depression, all us Kansas hicks, Missouri Pukes, Arkies and last but not least, Okies that caravanned out to the San Joaquin valley and picked fruit lost our lands not because we couldn't tough it out eatin' coons and jackrabbits and scratching a bit of wheat out of the ground. We lost the land because the government demanded their taxes. People who hadn't been in debt, suddenly were, and then a couple of years later, BOOM! They're wondering what hit them as they pile stuff on their Clampettmobile and head for Bakersfield. . .

I know families here in Oklahoma who are living on the trust funds set up by the bankers who foreclosed on thousands of farms in North and Northwestern OK along the Kansas border. These few bankers amassed 10s of thousands of acres of land along with the mineral rights for pennies on the dollar. Today this land is covered with oil wells and has created untold wealth, all because of the dust bowl and the Great Depression.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Paul39
There is a ton of stuff written about the topic of SHTF. One of the most interesting is by a guy who went through it during Argentina's financial meltdown. My own take is that weaponry is just one part of it.

I'm not convinced that rural folk will necessarily be better off, at least in the longer term. Depends on fuel vs. working livestock, and growing seasons, among other factors. Think Amish.

I'm just glad I'm not any younger, but I worry about my sons and grandchildren.

Paul

FWIW...

Re: Your comment about rural vs urban: I visited once with a guy who was quite familiar with the judicious administration of violence. We were talking about a real societal breakdown. He told me that for a rural setting, if the place did not have a minimum of four able defenders, it would stand virtually no chance of withstanding an attack by one or two experienced operators. He said four able guys could easily run off a couple of truckloads of your average dumbass looters if they did two things. First, see then coming at some distance and Second, engage at distance. His advice was don't let anybody within 100 yards of the domicile.

Of course, who knows what SHTF looks like? Like was said before, adapt to the situation as it presents itself.

TF

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
access to food, water, shelter, keeping dry and warm... first aid access or knowledge...

even the lowly Boy Scouts have plenty of good literature on how to survive in the wilderness.... for different reasons then SHTF, but still plenty of good info...

armament is important, but should be further down the list, after the above...

and for all the Tin Foil Hat accusers, what is it with the Attitude of "It Can't Happen Here Syndrome" in this country? what the hell makes us so special...

no one would have believed that it was possible for some ragtag group to attack New York and Washington DC and cause any damage before 9/11 happened... but it did happen, and the "it can't happen here crowd" just STFU for a while... until it all blew over...

the ranger managers were talking the other day when I was over there... even the local Police units that use the range all the time, have a new "Special Unit", that they won't fill in the range managers about at all... answer no questions, and when they train, they don't want just one of the 5 ranges, they want the entire complex shut down...

and this is in rinkydink Josephine County Oregon...

so what the hell is that all about?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
. . . During the Great Depression, all us Kansas hicks, Missouri Pukes, Arkies and last but not least, Okies that caravanned out to the San Joaquin valley and picked fruit lost our lands not because we couldn't tough it out eatin' coons and jackrabbits and scratching a bit of wheat out of the ground. We lost the land because the government demanded their taxes. People who hadn't been in debt, suddenly were, and then a couple of years later, BOOM! They're wondering what hit them as they pile stuff on their Clampettmobile and head for Bakersfield. . .

I know families here in Oklahoma who are living on the trust funds set up by the bankers who foreclosed on thousands of farms in North and Northwestern OK along the Kansas border. These few bankers amassed 10s of thousands of acres of land along with the mineral rights for pennies on the dollar. Today this land is covered with oil wells and has created untold wealth, all because of the dust bowl and the Great Depression.

dang, could you not have just started a new thread? Dragging up one that is many years old? WTF?

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get what you enjoy using for sport because under the scenarios you have listed the nations police and military will be confiscating them.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
[Linked Image]

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
For the most part, civilized people will act in a civilized manner, even under stress.

I sure hope you never have to test that theory!! crazy

+1

- Rogue
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heard on Levin that the GAO says that we are only 10-25 years away from financial collapse due in a large part to Tyrant Obama the Liar's deficit spending. This collapse will be a SHTF event and tin foil won't help.

Last edited by ConradCA; 01/31/15.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RogueHunter
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
For the most part, civilized people will act in a civilized manner, even under stress.

I sure hope you never have to test that theory!! crazy

+1

Ferguson [bleep] vs civilization when SHTF!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
110 Conibear traps... Perfect for quietly catching small critters. Can also be used to catch fish and even birds. Quiet, cheap, and effective.

[Linked Image]

Public landowner...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nobody seems to have mentioned the tool I plan to use if it comes to that, and I'm not going to either.
I can eat well with a minimum of work.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Cinch
110 Conibear traps... Perfect for quietly catching small critters. Can also be used to catch fish and even birds. Quiet, cheap, and effective.

[Linked Image]

GF has one of those in my bedside table! eek

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
nothing wrong with you weapons choices if they work for you....a more daunting task would be the logistics of food, water, medical supplies, sanitation, etc for such a large group of people in the event of a meltdown. sounds like you need to plan for a platoon sized unit....and prepare accordingly.

I'll tell ya' what,

......Re : people who aren't FIRST AND FOREMOST focused on the logistics you call out,....and instead obsess about firepower, and firepower alone ?

They'll more then likely be SUPPLYING those who did with arms and ammo, and the greater majority posthumously, I'd venture.

"Well , we got guns,....let's go get some." ......totally predictable.

As is their subsequent (and self expedited) demise.

GTC

crossfire, I believe those types are referred to as marauders.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
How does one use a Conibear to catch a fish?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You put it on a chain, hang out over the creek on a tree limb and try to beat them to death when they swim by.

Simple really.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1minute, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 2500HD, 219DW, 270cowboy, 64 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,171
Posts18,503,187
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.