Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've always liked the VX2 2-7's. I was wondering if the VXR's had good eye boxes and if they exhibited any tunnel vision.

I love the 2-7 range for my hunting style and I would like to try an illuminated reticle. I would love to hear some opinions on this scope and general reviews from owners.

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
RHC, Great scope! You will likely really enjoy it. I had the 2-7 Ballistic Firedot and prefer the Firedot Duplex. Sold the scope to fund another desire only. I do really like the 3-9s. VX-R = Bold crisp clear. When it's just dark enough looking into the brush that you start to loose the duplex, or onto a black background, light up that center dot and you are good to go! The etched reticles remind me of the ones in the Zeiss Conquests, pure solid black, no funky golden color shift. Any reports of washed out "night" vision is pure BS, the VX-Rs are not like that at all. Don't pay full retail, there's better deals. Enjoy.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
VX-R is a great scope. Sorta looks like a VX-6, glass not quite to that level, but still very good. The one I examined was about like a VX-3, which is really good. It's 30mm, like the VX-6, but streamline and not overly heavy. The Firedot Duplex is the way to go. You'll like it.

DF

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
When I first examined the VX-R line of scopes,I made my mind up right then, Iwas gonna own one !
All that changed when last year dozens of VX-R's showed up on here in the classifieds !
Then a couple weeks ago I read the horror stories on the "scope thread" about Leupolds QC And offshore parts and who knows probably lenses as well, ending up with some models not even qualifying for the "Made in America stamp !
I have since put a hold on my purchase 'til I hear positive replies to the integrity of these scopes .
Kicking my azz for not snagging the good deal on a Nightforce when it came up on here last year !!
Rich

"Only Accurate Rifles are Interesting" (Colonel Townsend Whelen)
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I occasionally read a negative piece on Leupold, just haven't seen it. The ones I have, especially the VX-6's, are great. I've owned Leoplds for nearly 50 years and the only ones I've sent back have been for reticle change, CDS retrofit, etc.

I've sent more Kahles and Swaros back for stuff going South or breaking.

IME,

DF

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
DF, I too have held Leupold scopes in the highest regard for the past fifty years , However the "scope thread" which I am speaking of,Is in this section/category of 24 Hr CF .
I will post a link to it as soon as I find it again.
Knowlegible readers on here state facts proving, since the middle 2000's the Quality of the products at Leupold has gone to pot !
The only Leupolds I will buy at this point are those made before the company sold out to profit margins !

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Well, most of my Leupolds are older. I do have two VX-6's and a few VX-3's, all seem to be doing well so far. Maybe I'm getting the good ones. People who I respect have sent some back and a few, like you, have sworn off the brand for new stuff.

DF

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I am very interested in this as well. I need a rather compact scope to go on a ruger #1 which requires good eye relief across the entire magnification range. The VXR line seems the best option until you step up into the VX6 line.

I was looking at the Leica ER series demo or closeout models but that puts us in the VX6 price range again. In addition, I don't have any experience with Leica's warranty.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been trying new stuff for the last 10 years or so but still pick up a VX-?? every now and then. Some of their stuff is excellent and some of it, not so much.

I like'm but I'm not brand loyal to anything.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 163dm
I am very interested in this as well. I need a rather compact scope to go on a ruger #1 which requires good eye relief across the entire magnification range. The VXR line seems the best option until you step up into the VX6 line.

I was looking at the Leica ER series demo or closeout models but that puts us in the VX6 price range again. In addition, I don't have any experience with Leica's warranty.

Do some research here on the Fire. Some less than generous comments have been made over the years about Leica CS and Warranty. Maybe they're coming around, don't know. Seems to me they need to be competitive if they want to compete in this market.

DF

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 163dm

I will look into that new Leica 1.5-8X32 coming out as another option but it will be a while before we get any feedback on the Leica scope. I just wanted to give you a heads up as to a possible competitor in this size and weight.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Well, most of my Leupolds are older. I do have two VX-6's and a few VX-3's, all seem to be doing well so far. Maybe I'm getting the good ones. People who I respect have sent some back and a few, like you, have sworn off the brand for new stuff.

DF

This is the thread which brought me to screeching halt on purchsing any Leupold scopes made after the change of command ,somewhere in the middle of the last decade.
You see, I too have been loyal to the brand for many years,but things have changed in the company causing quality to deteriorate .
I will not be a victim(if I can help it)of cost cutting for increased profit by any manufacturer.
I will just go elswhere, even at increased expense.
At my age, I will not chance a shot of a lifetime (lol)on something going awry inside a scope.

Anyone investing big money in scopes should read this thread start to finish and form your own opinion.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9433308/1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I think it's a new record for quantity of comments without any, none whatsoever, experience. Would you like to share additional information on more stuff you do not have nor never did?

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
So, a new scope line comes out and few years later used ones come on the market and its a sign they're chit? Silly nonsense.

--- Kid Rock 2022

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a VX-R 2-7 with the FireDot 4 reticle that I'm pleased with. Called Leupold and was told the glass in VX-R's quality wise is between a VX-2 and a VX-3. Bought a VX-3 1.75-6x32 in December and have had to send it back twice because the turrets won't track. It is on its way back to me and hopefully the issue is fixed.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by oregontripper
So, a new scope line comes out and few years later used ones come on the market and its a sign they're chit? Silly nonsense.

Really!
I didn't make any comments in the post other than to state MY standpoint and MY preference and outlook related to the material in the thread which discussed the manufacturing practices and the reason why. I did recommend to other members ,they read the thread and form thier own opinion ; something apparently , you have failed to do thus far.
If you need to see justification or verification , indeed that it is "silly nonsense' perhaps you would click the link and see for yourself , what some very well known members on here have to say!
Rich

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by nitrosonic
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

This is the thread which brought me to screeching halt on purchsing any Leupold scopes made after the change of command ,somewhere in the middle of the last decade.
You see, I too have been loyal to the brand for many years,but things have changed in the company causing quality to deteriorate .
I will not be a victim(if I can help it)of cost cutting for increased profit by any manufacturer.
I will just go elswhere, even at increased expense.
At my age, I will not chance a shot of a lifetime (lol)on something going awry inside a scope.

Anyone investing big money in scopes should read this thread start to finish and form your own opinion.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9433308/1

I'll give you one more scope brand to read about, this time being SwaroA (Z3). Notice all the bullet holes/blood on this big muley buck? That's because my (at the time) SwaroA 3-10x42 decided that it was time the erector take a nosedive. After finally killing the buck with 4 shots including 2 gut shots from 150 yards with a dead rest, down to 20 yards, I checked zero and found a 14MOA wandering POI at 100 yards.

According to your logic, you can take anything marked Swarovski off of your riflescope "to buy" list.

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Must have missed the first post?

Originally Posted by nitrosonic
Originally Posted by oregontripper

Really!
I didn't make any comments in the post other than to state MY standpoint and MY preference and outlook related to the material in the thread which discussed the manufacturing practices and the reason why. I did recommend to other members ,they read the thread and form thier own opinion ; something apparently , you have failed to do thus far.
If you need to see justification or verification , indeed that it is "silly nonsense' perhaps you would click the link and see for yourself , what some very well known members on here have to say!
Rich
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I[quote=R_H_Clark]I've always liked the VX2 2-7's. I was wondering if the VXR's had good eye boxes and if they exhibited any tunnel vision.

I love the 2-7 range for my hunting style and I would like to try an illuminated reticle. I would love to hear some opinions on this scope and general reviews from owners.
I've always liked the VX2 2-7's. I was wondering if the VXR's had good eye boxes and if they exhibited any tunnel vision.

Last edited by oregontripper; 02/05/15. Reason: Crashing sob!

--- Kid Rock 2022

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

Yep Mr. Texas raider, I remember you mentioning in the "Scope Thread" the Swaro failure and You were one of the very few "defenders" of the Leupolds

I still say "Anyone spending big money for a scope should read the thread" in my above post.

What this company has done to the Hallowed name of Leupold is sinful at best.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Killed 100's of animals including over 100 head of big game with the Leupy's, with zero issues in the past 10 years, including the VX3's and VX6. That's why I've defended them so far, based on field use, not reading about it.
If/when they habitually start falling apart I'll run straight to the Meopta store.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,433 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,177
Posts18,484,676
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.