Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I ran across a guy that was using one of these boxes for movies and such. Are these worth the money? Don't know much about these so any info would help. Also do I need a special tv? Mine do have the hdmi hookup.

Thanks

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have it, and love it. Though I have to say to use it to it's potential you really need to have another apple device be it an iPhone, iPad etc.
All you need is an HDMI compatible tv, and high speed internet. It nice if you have it setup wireless, but it works hard wired.

I stream HBO, Showtime, YouTube, Netflix. There is a lot of content to be had.
Another handy option is airplay... You play content on your iPhone, iPad etc directly to your tv as well.
They're only $100

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So what does Apple TV do?

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
I have it, and love it. Though I have to say to use it to it's potential you really need to have another apple device be it an iPhone, iPad etc.
All you need is an HDMI compatible tv, and high speed internet. It nice if you have it setup wireless, but it works hard wired.

Another handy option is airplay... You play content on your iPhone, iPad etc directly to your tv as well.
They're only $100

This. I use one also. It is great.

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
it transfers content from the internet to your TV

You still have to pay all those pesky subscriptions, like to Netflix. HBOGo, Amazon

Sam......

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"I stream HBO, Showtime, YouTube, Netflix. There is a lot of content to be had.
Another handy option is airplay... You play content on your iPhone, iPad etc directly to your tv as well. "

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
it transfers content from the internet to your TV

You still have to pay all those pesky subscriptions, like to Netflix. HBOGo, Amazon

True, but I would rather pay for what I want, than pay for a bunch of sheit I will never watch.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
oh I agree 100%. The cable and satellite companies refuse to do 'ala carte' content selection. That is one of the main reasons I quit cable, and went with NetFlix and other content sources.
I had 300+ channels, 90% of which I did not want.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
True dat. I had to laugh when I quit cable over a year ago, they asked me why and I explained what is referenced above. So they say ok, where do we send the box to pick up equipment, I tell them and then the woman goes right into another sales pitch to reduce what I am paying for a year and she also throws in a couple of freebies for 3 months. TFF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Roku does twice as much for less $!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had Roku, got rid of it.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
regardless of which service you use, apple tv will facilitate it. It is especially useful if wanting to use the airplay function of an apple device to send music through your receiver (favorite playlist), or stream a video from internet (directly to the tv), as well as using the DVD on a macbook to show a movie on the tv.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've thought of going with Apple TV, but the one thing I don't want to miss on is live sports coverage. How are you guys watching that?

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I did MLB.TV last year and will do it again. Had to pay a proxy server because Giants games are blacked out in my area. NFL is not available yet. I like it. Been almost a year since we killed Dish. I don't miss it. Local stuff on antenna so no big deal there.

One of the really cool things is I can stream music from my home computer to my TV in my reloading room and play it over the stereo all controlled from my iphone. I can literally dj my own BBQ in the backyard with all the music I have on itunes, not just my phone. Pretty darn cool.

We have an Amazon Fire that works fine too and adds more variety but I wouldn't say better. The apple tv can hide behind a wall mounted flat screen and still get signal from the remote, so it's just your TV hanging there. Clean.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM

They're only $100

Guess I am looking at the wrong place, ebay has them for about $200- $250. I do like the size of them and ability to conceal them. Thanks for all the info. Keep it going

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go to Bestbuy.com. $99.00 plus shipping.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I had a roku and then I found a better alternative
XBMC on a droid box like the Amazon Fire.

Roku has about 300 channels

XBMC has about 3000 from around the world

but ease of use isn't its biggest selling factor.

I'd say in 3 years time, many of us will be streaming live TV via the internet as well as pay channels and cable boxes/satellite TV will be going away.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sams Club has the apple tv 3rd gen for $92.87, about the cheapest I've seen anywhere.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Roku 3 has over 1000 channels. $89.00 on Amazon Prime. I've had mine for over a year and do not regret dumping cable/satellite tv.

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did you watch the super bowl on it?

[Linked Image from ]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 53 invisible), 3,500 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,717
Posts18,534,956
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.