Print Thread
Hop To
P
postoak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
On this Savage 116 I picked up recently.

Actually, the install and adjustment were easy. It is just when I put the stock back on, the trigger releases when I close the bolt. The instructions say that if this happens, to adjust the sear engagement and/or the pull-weight screw. I kept on and on adjusting them (making a mockery of the very precise adjustment procedure that Timney gives) and I still can't cock the rifle with it in the stock. So what gives?

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Usually if there is something happening ONLY when the stock is installed - it means something is hitting the stock and has nothing to do with an adjustment of the trigger.

Very often this is the trigger guard but can be other places in the stock that cause it.

"Any inanimate object will just sit there until a person picks it up.
What they do with it depends on what kind of respect they've
been taught for human life"
P
postoak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I see that the front-end of the trigger guard is pushed down if I don't put the stock bolts screws and jiggle things around until it fires.

If I don't let that end of the trigger guard come down, then it won't cock or won't fire if I put it in cocked.

But what does this mean? What do I have to do to get things to work?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This often happens with trigger swaps. Some inletting black or lipstick (applied to the suspect regions might tell the story.

If it's wood that's touching the trigger, then get out a chainsaw, small triangular file, or gouge/chisel and remove wood until the mechanism clears. If it's metal like the trigger guard, a Dremel grinder or file and do the same in the offending area.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/09/15.

1Minute
P
postoak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
A chainsaw!

Interesting, I never thought about the trigger having a different shape/size than the original trigger; they look close to the same.

Luckily, I just ordered a Dremel tool for another project, so I can put it to work here when it arrives.

IC B2

S
S
I just went through this on my Rem 700 L/A. It turned out the left side of the trigger shoe and bolt release were making contact with the Rem factory trigger guard. I relieved the guard with an abrasive stone. That fixed the problem.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Three out of the four Timney triggers I recently installed on Rem 700's were binding just like Steve_G says.

A few minutes with a file corrected this!!

Ken

No trigger shoe was involved though!

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
First mistake was a Savage.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Don't wait on the dremel. If using something like that is new to you there is a good chance you'll go to far to fast. Just a word of caution.

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dave284
Don't wait on the dremel. If using something like that is new to you there is a good chance you'll go to far to fast. Just a word of caution.

Dave.

Ah, refreshing, the voice of experience! wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

S
S
Am I mistaken, or is this happening more frequently? Is it possible Timney made a change that widened the trigger housing?

P
postoak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I just did the lipstick test and lipstick was left on the bushing that the front trigger-guard bolt screws into.

This will be almost impossible to grind on with a file unless I remove it, but should be easy with a Dremel. I'll just have to be very careful with the Dremel, since I'm inexperienced with it.

Of course the whole bushing must come out of the stock, but I'm not sure I want to find out how easy that is.

BTW, that part is not shown on the SavageArms "Parts Finder" diagram.

P
postoak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Steve_G
Am I mistaken, or is this happening more frequently? Is it possible Timney made a change that widened the trigger housing?

It appears the trigger block is longer in the front, although I can't *see* the difference by looking at the two.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Regardless of your approach, go slow just clearing a little at a time between testing sessions. One does not want a butcher job.

1Minute
P
postoak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
This shouldn't be this hard!

I used lipstick applied to the front of the trigger block and ground away until lipstick stopped marking the stock and rear bolt-nut. Same problem. I can tighten the back bolt most of the way but when I get toward the end of the range the trigger releases as I shove the bolt forward.

At least I thought the trigger was releasing.

I took a new tack and cocked the bolt and placed it in the stock and began to tighten the rear stock bolt. At first the trigger fired but after a while it didn't. AND, the safety lifts slightly when I press on the trigger.

So I think the sear is cocked but won't release for some reason. Anyone have any ideas?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hope I am still talking about my experiences with the Timney for the Rem 700. On the ones I found sticking and needing work,they let me know when the bolt release lever/button, would stick in the upward(bolt release) position. Then I realized the trigger itself was also sticking at times on the trigger opening on the trigger guard. Stuff has to be removed or the trigger can stick in the fired position and will not drop back to where it belongs unless all resistance is removed! Then of course, you could feed another round into the chamber with the trigger still pulled and the firing pin fwd.This is all an easy fix, but it takes quite a few tries to get it right. (at least neatly). Also, on a couple of the stocks, wood or composite had to be removed to accommodate the the front of the trigger housing or it would bind on the stock webbing/opening for the trigger assy. Also, I always remove some of the wood or composite after adjusting the trigger on any 700 to keep the adjustment screw from contacting the material that I described above. Of course I always epoxy the adjustment screws after adjusting---always!!!
I hope this long paragraph can shed some light on the original question. Also, it isn't hard to do all of this stuff, and the rewards are worth the work involved!!
Thanks for listening,
Ken
PM me if I am too confusing!!

Last edited by kennymauser; 02/19/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If all aspects function correctly sans stock, then the culprit is somewhere in the stock, bottom metal, or both.

1Minute
P
postoak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Yeah, I asked Timney about this and they said "the stock is rubbing the trigger somewhere". Not very helpful and I don't see why a drop-in trigger doesn't fit.

I guess I'll have to let a gunsmith finish this project.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (219 Wasp, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 270cowboy, 160user, 257_X_50, 68 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,409
Posts18,507,028
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.