Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Seller took this video (I guess he found it easier than photos). I'm not a 70 expert. I know just enough to be dangerous. Do you guys see anything in the video that causes you angst? I'm seeking an all original gun in nice shooter/hunter condition. I appreciate any and all comments. Thanks!

Model 70 youtube video

Give me land, lots of land, under starry skies above. Don't fence me in.
GB1

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're not getting any cherry.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Standard rifle, 270 Win, manufactured in early Feb. 1957. The rear sight (appears to be a 22G) is not original to the gun and has been put on backwards. Metal plate and front sight hood are pluses. Appears to be an all original rifle with honest wear. Not a collector, but it will definetly get the job done.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Poconojack-

Huh, besides the sight being backwards, I thought it was the right sight. What rear sight should it have?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
My mistake....looked at the youtube video again and it looks like the correct rear sight (Winchester 22K) for the low comb stock on this rifle. Looks like it was reversed because it interfered with the scope.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Assuming the bore is pristine, that seems a very nice hunter/shooter. My extensive experience with these Std. .270s, is that they SHOOT and with 150NPs really do the business on about any game.

I dunno what $$$$ is involved, but, I would seriously consider buying/using it at any decent price.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Dang...what I've been looking for...my birth year....

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That one would clean up really nicely.
That stock has potential to be something very nice if you had a professional re-finish it.
It kind of reminds me of my own .270 Std. rifle.

I like it here. They let me swear.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
As the experts have opined, assuming the bore is good and there is nothing wrong they cannot see, that is what you are looking for, "all original in nice shooter/hunter condition."

It seems the owner was a little careless, as there is no reason to use a sling that continually scratches the stock. But, it isn't beat to hell either. The trick now is not to pay too much. But if it is what you want, paying a little extra will be lost in the noise, especially if it will shoot itty bitty groups.

Not only that, but Godogs57 is always your "safety valve" : )

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I passed on the standard grades in standard chamberings. Of course the magnums are heavier.

The vid. was not easy to watch being so much close up.

The gun is all scratched up and it's always going to be a heavy 270.

Unless the price is very low I would keep looking.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Savage 99 is correct that the gun is scratched up and it is always going to be a heavy .270. As to the desirability, Savage 99 would not desire it, nor would most collectors. Even in great shape, it wouldn't interest many of the hard core collectors.

Are there lighter accurate rifles available? Absolutely, the Featherweights being only one example from back in the day, and now we have all manner of light rifles. But, if you want a piece of history, I would argue that the standard rifles in the common chamberings are the rifles that made the reputation of the Model 70. It certainly wasn't made with the expensive and relatively rare Super Grades, nice as they are. I don't think it was made with even the Featherweights. The thinner barrels are nice, but I cannot warm up to the aluminum components. (Admittedly, that's just me.) My point is that I believe the reputation of the Model 70 was made by standard grade .30-06's and .270's. These were the rifles Joe Lunchbucket owned, assuming he loved rifles and could scratch up enough dough to go with the Winchester. They were the ones that were more accurate than any other rifle in camp, and that fed and ejected like they should.

It makes sense the collectors want the rare configurations and chamberings. But I contend that if you want to own your own little piece of the legend, and one of the rifles that did the real work creating the legend, don't be ashamed to own a heavy (Savage 99 is right about that) standard rifle in a common chambering.

Having said all that, Winchester offering an affordable .375 did some of the heavy lifting too!

If that .270 were mine, I would clean up the stock a little bit. It might take some of the collector value off. But a little TLC, even with most of the character marks left, would improve the looks a good bit.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 02/13/15.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Gun looks original and not shot nor carried much..buttstock has taken a beating lately..no need to refinish stock, IMO...

You don't state the price but if $900 or less you didn't go wrong...

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
As the experts have opined, assuming the bore is good and there is nothing wrong they cannot see, that is what you are looking for, "all original in nice shooter/hunter condition."

It seems the owner was a little careless, as there is no reason to use a sling that continually scratches the stock. But, it isn't beat to hell either. The trick now is not to pay too much. But if it is what you want, paying a little extra will be lost in the noise, especially if it will shoot itty bitty groups.

Not only that, but Godogs57 is always your "safety valve" : )

Yep.....if you don't want it, lemme know what he'll take for it...

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Someone ought to teach that guy how to operate a video camera. Man...

OP, what is he asking for it?

This is definitely a shooter rifle (not a "collector") but it's in better condition than the other '57 that was posted recently and probably shoots! You could refinish the stock like some suggest, or just hunt it. $700-750 sounds right to me.

Eric

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I need to start shopping where EricM shops! : ) If I walked into my LGS and that rifle was $700-750, it would likely leave with me. I don't need it, but . . .

Back on topic, does it come with the scope and what is it?

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for all the help. I think I'm going to go ahead with the purchase. The rifle comes with the Leupold M8 scope and sling and I'll be into it for about $1000, after shipping.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Excellent decision...

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I agree with balltownbob. $1000 in the door is plenty good. If it shoots like many of them do, you will feel like you stole it.

But lose that damn sling!

Last edited by GunDoc7; 02/13/15.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Backtobethel: I am happy for you on your decision to purchase this nifty older Rifle!
It sounds like you are more of a Hunter than a collector and this Rifle WILL be a fine Hunting rig for you.
I have a very similar Rifle that I used to Hunt with and it has been a success on many a Mule Deer, Antelope, Blacktailed Deer, Elk, Black Bear, Mt. Goat and Whitetailed Deer Hunt!
I retired this Rifle from all Hunting about 20 years ago.
I prefer a heavier Rifle when shooting afield, myself.
It tends to enhance my field accuracy!
Don't let ANYONE try to talk you out of a full sized Rifle for Hunting Big Game!
I have been using full size sporting Rifles for Hunting Big Game for 55+ years now and like I previously stated I actually prefer them.
I did go through a "ultra-light phase" about 25 years ago but those Rifles are seldom used anymore by me!
By the way I am impressed by the apparent excellent condition of your Rifles metal.
Good for you.
A tip for removing and then re-inserting your Rifles rear sight if you choose to do so.
Get a piece of leather (buckskin works well!) and pry that sights rear leaf up by hand and carefully remove the sight elevator!
THEN insert the leather under the sight at its bearing point with the barrel - then tap the sight out with a heavy hammer and a soft brass punch.
This is best done with the action out of the stock and the barrel supported at the sight boss against a vice or heavy object - again with the barrel being protected by buckskin under the sight and at the point of contact with the vice.
This may take "four" hands to do but I have done it MANY times without harming the Rifles finish.
Then reverse the sight and replace the leather so it won't marr the barrel when the sight is re-punched back to the correct position.
Enjoy your new Rifle!
And again, good for you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
It is unquestionably worth a grand and with a 4x Leupy, more so.

Get a Micky EDGE stock, use Talley SL-QDs, two sets of rings with two identical scopes and load 150 NPs to about 2950 and it will be lighter, finely balanced and kill game deader than Hell!

Ignore the moron, S-99, his posts reveal a truly monumental level of f**king pig ignorance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,260 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,695
Posts18,494,204
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.