Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got married for the first time.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hyndman Pa has a RR track right through town, and used to have a siding where they staged "helper" engines to push the trains up the Allegheny Plateau. A friend found a case of those torpedos and put them on the tracks in town, about 50 feet apart, at bedtime. When the train came rolling through, at speed in the middle of the night...... A local farmer used to jump the train and open the gate on a grain car as they went through his farm. One day he fell off and the train went to the yard in Cumberland, they tracked it right back to his place.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
8 years old hopping trains in to town.

Teen years spent water skiing. Every time you feel you had to hang on the side of the boat for a penalty shot. You had to stay on the ski till you puked or were drowning. Also convinced one to try barefoot skiing smile He really did almost drown. All you could see was the first ten ft of rope for minutes on end. We ran the boat aground laughing so hard.

Drag racing down the lake when frozen. In the dark. Not coherent.

Jumping cars at the farm. Self explanatory.

Any number of 3 digit rides on street bikes racing through Vt's most stellar roads....

Going from one end of town to the other with 3 minutes till beer store closed. It was an 8 minute ride easy. Through 3 lights and half dozen stop signs. Never let off. We made it. All I saw of the guy on back was his feet smile

Fire stories I wont share.

Pretty epic childhood. I am not sure why any of us are walking, much less alive...

W

Last edited by woofer; 02/14/15.

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
The list is long.
Just in Nam. #1--- Doing mine sweeps along the road with Zero training .

to

#100+ Spending nights in a small village in the Central Highlands unarmed. --- The power of a woman.
Web

[Linked Image]
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Rodeo, Im still paying for it every morning.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Tried to make our own model rocket engines. What we were making was pipe bombs.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Joined the Marines

"The older I get, the better I was"
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Ha. Did that a few times driving the semi-flat tire trick over the railroad trestle over the Mission River and it's bottom between Refugio and Woodsboro 5 miles away. We did it in my buddies 390 ford galaxy. My buddies name was Buddy. Once we got to Refugio and when trying to get off the track where a road crossed Buddy screwed up and high centered the car sideways on the tracks. Had to get Buddy's dad and a wrecker before a train showed.

I'll never forget Buddy's dad saying, "G...ammit, Buddy, how the fuggin hell did you get your car high centered crossways on the G...damned railroad track." Buddy said, "I dont know, Dad, I was just driving along and then it was just like a earthquake or something and all of a sudden we were just stuck right here."

Last edited by eyeball; 02/14/15.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hugh
Rodeo, Im still paying for it every morning.

^^^this^^^

Too many saddle broncs and bulls when I was dumb and young. My back and knees are paying for it, nowadays.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With the amount of improvised explosive devices we played with it's a wonder I'm both alive and have all my appendages.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by eyeball
30 or 40 years ago when at Lake Buchanan in duck season if a blue norther hit i would get up before daylight and get little brother up. We would already have the dekes in the 17 ft ouachita powered by a 25 hp Johnson. Thankfully the bow was slightly upturned.

We would head to the north east a 2-3 mile run to Rocky Point which acted as a mild buffer from the waves coming from the head of the lake several miles away.
On rounding Rocky point we would face the full force of 6-8 foot swells. On top we could see shore lights if they werent too far away but they would disappear when we went down in the troughs.
We had no lights then that would penetrate the wind driven spray if we had a light at all.

The light aluminum boat would ride high in water that would have flooded the heavy 20 ft Ebbtide Dynatrac i have now.

After rounding the point we would start praying we would run into the downwind side of one of a string of shallow, flat, granite sand islands that ran out into the lake a few miles to the north of the point so we could beach and put out the dekes before daylight.

Our main concern was that if we missed and went between two islands the depth was shallow and still sported old oak stumps. If we got through we wouldn't know it and would have to continue the run a few more miles to the north shore and couldn't hunt near the lakehouses that lined the lakeside after daylight.

On one particular hunt we came around Rocky Point and headed into the face of the norther. We knew this was a bad one and that we would mop up on the greenheads that would be piling into any decoys working in the breeze on the downwind side of the islands.

About the time we topped a huge swell a severe gust hit and ran up the face of the swell. It lifted the front of the bow to what felt to me to be about 40 degrees as my brother instinctively bailed forward and hit the floor of the boat. By the Grace of God we somehow dropped over the swell without being flipped over backwards for a 12 or 15 mile float to the dam in very cold water. We had never considered that before.

That was our last trip out in the face of a Blue Norther and the last time we put the dekes out by the sand islands before daylight.

The prospects of a big fat limit of mallards have probably made more young men do as much crazy $hit as young women!

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I forgot about a good one. I used to own a 87 subaru brat. It had tee tops and I would take them out and when I topped clinch mountain I would throw it in neutral, jump up out of the top, sit on the roof and steer with my feet. People would flip out when I passed them. I would just grin and wave.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
In the Fall of '76 they had just finished filming the African village scenes for the TV mini-series "Roots" on Skidaway Island right outside Savannah, Ga. There must have been 30 or so of the grass and mud huts that the production co. left intact in a big open field on the old Roebling plantation. One night two of my friends and I decided to take Andy's old ragged out '69 Buick and drive through them and demolish them at high speed. All went well until we lined up on the last, biggest one, which we found out the hard way was larger because it was built around a 4 foot high brick water cistern to hide it during filming. 4 broken bones and 160+ stitches betwwen the three of us. The Buick fared even worse.
John

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by seal_bil wink ly
I forgot about a good one. I used to own a 87 subaru brat. It had tee tops and I would take them out and when I topped clinch mountain I would throw it in neutral, jump up out of the top, sit on the roof and steer with my feet. People would flip out when I passed them. I would just grin and wave.

Ha, you win, you're crazier than me, Seal. wink
Good story there.

Last edited by eyeball; 02/14/15.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Dayom. You should have figured.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ouch, I always got fairly lucky. That just plain ol sux.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Akbob5

Kid down the street caught some good air....but had a bad landing. 19 broken bones, life-flight and months in the hospital/recovery. Thought he wouldn't live, then said he wouldn't walk. He's a member of the volunteer local fire dept. and works full time. But I will bet he pays in spade when his body gets old! Oh, and he doesn't ride anymore.

Ghost rode a Ninja to avoid pulverizing two Catholic school kids crossing the street in front of me as I took the turn on one knee at 80+ in the city. Killed me. Clinically dead for 7-8 minutes. Trauma surgery team at BI in Boston took 17 hours to do it, but brought me back and saved my wretched hide. 12+ broken bones, severe internal injuries. Ruptured spleen, liver, bowel. Multiple surgeries followed. Took my right lung. I still ride. Just not shytfaced anymore. Hard lesson for a 16 year old. Good times.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got a chance to ride a Yamaha RZ500 Formula 1 road racing bike. That 4 cylinder,2 stroke was like riding a 200 pound pissed off bumble bee. You can't really describe what that kind of acceleration will do to your brain and sphincter,simultaneously...

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Having owned and ridden a half dozen RD/RZs, from the 350 RD to both Canadian RZ 350s to the '79 RD 400 Daytona, can only imagine what a race-ready, water cooled 4 cyl. 2 stroke such as the RZ 500 and the RG 500 Gamma will do. I will own one or the other before I die...

wink

PS. Got any video of your old race days? Love to see anything. God bless the 2 strokers.

My current project (years in the making and a crime story as far as mechanics who actually follow through with any promises made; I'm on #6 no BS) is a '76 RD 400. The video is from when I just bought it.

[img]http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/birddown/ASH/th_2011-08-10_18-35-35_840.mp4[/img]

It's a totally different machine now. Once the e-ignition is installed, she'll be screaming. Jetted, bored, piped, new lungs, all kinds of upgrades. It'll be worth it. Or so I keep telling myself... smile

Last edited by kamo_gari; 02/15/15.
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Kinda' like this one now. wink

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 3,359 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,714
Posts18,534,931
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.