Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey Ed,

Are your kids mig welding your spools out? Does insurance regulation hinder you as to process?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ldholton
Sam I totally understand , I learned to weld at home at like 12YO than had welding class in HS AG classes . I've stuck lots of things together,some may look like a cow's ass sewed up with a grape vine but they always held together.

Holton, last weld I made lasted just long enough before is started to crack.

Gear box on a 10"x60' grain auger. Weld looked like total dogshit but it lasted through harvest!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wildbill59

My daughter works for Miller. They just finished paying for her MBA. She's in the marketing Dept. for the Hobart division. I told her 4 years ago when she took the job she'd have to learn how to weld and she's pretty good. Doesn't have to do it for a living but she knows enough.

A few years back Miller was querying business owners and clientele for ideas and I had some interesting conversations with Engineers and marketing folk in Appleton.

I recommended that they re-invent the old "Legend" machine in compact form and call it the "Mojo" model.

Also recommended a mid 300 amp version of the Trailblazer with onboard air compressor and call it the "Honcho" model.

And a 3rd model with 400 amp dual bus welding, onboard air, and onboard self priming trash pump, called the "Rancho"...

They declined, but I still think highly of the idea...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by teal
I see no nobility in doing the same thing for 40 years straight. I do what interests me.

I'll never be something when I grow up - I simply will do the "next thing that interests me".

Good luck.....you won't make it far with thid attitude

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I see no nobility in doing the same thing for 40 years straight. I do what interests me.

I'll never be something when I grow up - I simply will do the "next thing that interests me".

Define "far" - I've done a hell of a lot more than most people my age, have zero debt (buying a new home soon so that will change) and I pay my bills with more than a little left over for savings.

I hunt when I want, fish when I want - again, how far do I need to get before I have it good?

Just saying I never felt compelled to be anything. Some people grow up and say "I am an accountant!" or "I am an engineer!" and that's all they ever wanted to be in life. That's never worked for me. I have far too many interests to simply stay with one thing or to think that one occupation defines a person.

I am a fully grown human male - the rest is fluff.

Me

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I took your statement as a cocky insult.......no nobility in doing the same thing for 40 years

Good luck

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Define "far" - I've done a hell of a lot more than most people my age, have zero debt (buying a new home soon so that will change) and I pay my bills with more than a little left over for savings.

I hunt when I want, fish when I want - again, how far do I need to get before I have it good?

Just saying I never felt compelled to be anything. Some people grow up and say "I am an accountant!" or "I am an engineer!" and that's all they ever wanted to be in life. That's never worked for me. I have far too many interests to simply stay with one thing or to think that one occupation defines a person.

Your words are telling on your maturity level.....good luck and be carefull when you hit the work place.....old timers don't have much time for cocky newbs

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It's the attitude that always worked for me...

From the time I was 17 til I was 31 I never struck an arc. Pretty much decided I never would. Had 2 kids of my own and was hungry when I came to repentance...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Your words are telling on your maturity level

Really full of ourself this AM, aren't we ?

You need to adjust your wize old sage / Gandalf hat, Bozo.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw

From the time I was 17 til I was 31 I never struck an arc. Pretty much decided I never would. Had 2 kids of my own and was hungry when I came to repentance...

Friends occasionally note that I no longer have that "hungry" look...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

My PREFERENCE for not working the same thing for 40 years bothers you. Fine.

The fact I don't consider someone great just because they've done the same thing over and over bothers you - fine.

Note that has nothing to do with how well they do something. After all we have 40 year tenured politicians but that's cool, they've done it a long time - they must be great.

That's what I mean by no nobility in doing the same thing forever in and of itself. You're a 40 year T&D man that can hold .00002 TIR with your eyes closed? Great but what's cool is what you can do not how long you've been doing it. There's a difference. I guarantee you there are people in professions 40 years who haven't learned a thing or gotten better since year 2.

I don't derive satisfaction from doing something repetitively - I need to be challenged and to learn new things, that's me and not everyone.

It doesn't work for me and I never said it had to be the same for you.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Friends occasionally note that I no longer have that "hungry" look...

That comes from time on the job amd maturity.....more of a cool swager....you have btdt so you dont get all tuned up over just anything.....old bull and young bull story

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
be carefull when you hit the work place.....old timers don't have much time for cocky newbs

Well as a 20+ year veteran of the Transportation industry, I'll remember to mind myself around my elders.

You'll notice I've not derived any particular pride from how long I've done something but how WELL and that's the damned problem with this country.

People think because they showed up they are special. GMAFB. It's not enough to show up - you need to perform.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Your words are telling on your maturity level.....good luck and be carefull when you hit the work place.....old timers don't have much time for cocky newbs

This old-timer has made good money identifying the cocky newbs and hot sticks and turning them into smart, agile, productive crew...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Your words are telling on your maturity level

I hate to get involved here, but I've worked with a lot of grown men that thought they could weld and fit. Had to send some down the road packing too because they could do "everything", but couldn't do what I wanted them to do, which was make a good weld wink.. Some of these types didn't know the difference between straight and reverse polarity, CC VV OR CV, couldn't square up a plate (didn't even know what the 3 4 5 method was, Pythagorean method was way out of the question for them), do layout to save their azz, expand measurements, use trigonometry, shoot parts in, make jigs, etc. etc... A real tradesman will become exceedingly proficient in his trade and always add to his tool box of knowledge. My grandfather was a welder (as was my dad) and he always told me that "a good welder will always have a job".

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
3/4/5 is voodoo to a great many people. Sad really.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And....if you perform you will last

No union in this part of Missouri and Missouri law requires no reason to fire

If you don't produce you will be moving on in these parts

But I need to point out.....I'm not a welder.....welding is part of what I do

Like stated in a prior response.....filling your toolbox with skill sets

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

This old-timer has made good money identifying the cocky newbs and hot sticks and turning them into smart, agile, productive crew...

THAT's the ticket !

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

My PREFERENCE for not working the same thing for 40 years bothers you. Fine.

The fact I don't consider someone great just because they've done the same thing over and over bothers you - fine.

Note that has nothing to do with how well they do something. After all we have 40 year tenured politicians but that's cool, they've done it a long time - they must be great.

That's what I mean by no nobility in doing the same thing forever in and of itself. You're a 40 year T&D man that can hold .00002 TIR with your eyes closed? Great but what's cool is what you can do not how long you've been doing it. There's a difference. I guarantee you there are people in professions 40 years who haven't learned a thing or gotten better since year 2.

I don't derive satisfaction from doing something repetitively - I need to be challenged and to learn new things, that's me and not everyone.

It doesn't work for me and I never said it had to be the same for you.

Most people burn out.....Im lucky

My job finds me doing something different each day.....sometimes all day and all night

It all can be put in simple terms and seem like the same ol same ol

mill
drill
grind
burn.....edm
turn
check prints
sweep floors ect etc

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

THAT's the ticket !

GTC

Years ago someone hung the nickname "hotstick" on me.

Lately they mostly call me "den mother"...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Akshooter, 54 invisible), 2,306 guests, and 965 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,816
Posts18,496,463
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.