Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NathanL
The shop I work at now has a permanent sign out hiring welders. I haven't been here long enough to know what they pay the welders. We do a mix of carbon steel and alloys like inconel and it's various varietes. We do large plate fabrication of up to 4,000 tons. Not all single pieces at that size obvioiusly, panelized etc...

Engineers keep our welders really busy. I've been fighting it for the last month. They have us putting a complete pentration weld where a 3/4" plate attaches to a 3/16" beam web. So we are putting a 3/4" weld into a 3/16" web....then they complain it's taking too long. They really are having an issue of us charging a crapload more when the job was bid as a fillet weld standard.

But the guys in the shop are staying busy, we do a fair amount of submerged arc joining our panels etc...

We're actually hoping to pick up some welders now that the frackers are just now starting to lay off in the area.

When it comes to inconel, I'd rather weld the festered crack of an elephants ass...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We don't do a lot of inconel, it's just certain parts and it's normally a tiny percentage. I can't imagine what it would cost to do a 4,000 ton job out of 100% inconel. Lot of nickel allow stuff in some of the portions, but normally the casing is good old A36 which accounts for the bulk of it.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by teal

My PREFERENCE for not working the same thing for 40 years bothers you. Fine.

The fact I don't consider someone great just because they've done the same thing over and over bothers you - fine.

Note that has nothing to do with how well they do something. After all we have 40 year tenured politicians but that's cool, they've done it a long time - they must be great.

That's what I mean by no nobility in doing the same thing forever in and of itself. You're a 40 year T&D man that can hold .00002 TIR with your eyes closed? Great but what's cool is what you can do not how long you've been doing it. There's a difference. I guarantee you there are people in professions 40 years who haven't learned a thing or gotten better since year 2.

I don't derive satisfaction from doing something repetitively - I need to be challenged and to learn new things, that's me and not everyone.

It doesn't work for me and I never said it had to be the same for you.

actually sounds alot like me.....prolly part of the reason i didnt finish college cause picking an actual major/school to go to was a PITA cause i had a huge range of interests and no clue what i wanted to do....hell at 33 im not sure i could pick a major if pressed now.....fell into the newspaper work just like i did this state highway job more or less....

looking back bout the only thing i know i might have been happy doing was paleontology cause it requires a huge range of disciplines and you get to be outside alot....b!tch of a place to make money in though

Last edited by rattler; 02/21/15.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

They get picky on a $1 billion structure. But nowhere near as much as pressure vessels.

Our insurance inspectors got really, really fussy on an all code requirement low temp pressure vessel jobs but nowhere near as much when we did nuke submarine components.

X-Ray and ultrasound to the max and paperwork, paperwork,paperwork, paperwork,..... out the kazzooo

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Pak in the 80's and 90's it was the cheapest way to build corrals, and they last forever. Built several sets that you could ship and work several hundred cows at a time in. ED

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The shop I work at now has a permanent sign out hiring welders.

Same at the company I used to work for. Basic 6G required to even fill out the application but less than 10% of the applicants could go beyond that. They finally started hiring the best of those that failed and started an in house school.

Darn great idea that worked out well for all parties.

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by teal

My PREFERENCE for not working the same thing for 40 years bothers you. Fine.

The fact I don't consider someone great just because they've done the same thing over and over bothers you - fine.

Note that has nothing to do with how well they do something. After all we have 40 year tenured politicians but that's cool, they've done it a long time - they must be great.

That's what I mean by no nobility in doing the same thing forever in and of itself. You're a 40 year T&D man that can hold .00002 TIR with your eyes closed? Great but what's cool is what you can do not how long you've been doing it. There's a difference. I guarantee you there are people in professions 40 years who haven't learned a thing or gotten better since year 2.

I don't derive satisfaction from doing something repetitively - I need to be challenged and to learn new things, that's me and not everyone.

It doesn't work for me and I never said it had to be the same for you.

actually sounds alot like me.....prolly part of the reason i didnt finish college cause picking an actual major/school to go to was a PITA cause i had a huge range of interests and no clue what i wanted to do....hell at 33 im not sure i could pick a major if pressed now.....fell into the newspaper work just like i did this state highway job more or less....

looking back bout the only thing i know i might have been happy doing was paleontology cause it requires a huge range of disciplines and you get to be outside alot....b!tch of a place to make money in though

Yep - people don't realize, it sucks to be easily bored. Expensive too.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H13
S7
A2
420S
440S
P20

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sounds as though the OP cannot decide if he wants to be a brain surgeon or a fry cook. Manufacturing in the US does not hold the opportunities it once did especially since outsourcing and the use of temporary and contract labor became the norm. The days of converting a temp or contract position into a permanent hire are gone, employers are controlling costs by utilizing employees that they can pay the bare minimum benefits. Having all kinds of qualifications not relavent to the job will do more harm than good. Overqualified employers will tell applicants, seeing that type employee as one who will not be happy in the job. A threat to morale of other employees and someone who will leave once something that seems better to them comes along. As far as a position that offers challenges and the opportunity to work on different things,those kind of positions go to internal candidates. You won't walk in the door into one of those kind of positions no matter what your qualifications or experience, it just won't happen. Don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, these are just the facts. I switched to Quality Assurance to finish out the last 18 months of my career and I couldn't have been happier. I walked in the door at night and the wife saw a difference like night and day, much happier, much less stress. To work in QA you need some training on the Coordinate Measuring Machine (CMM) the CNC of the inspection world. That and the many other computer based equipment found in the inspection world. In my case I had to learn 35 different software programs as record keeping in QA is largely electronic. You'll find yourself spending as much time in front of a computer screen as actually taking measurements. It is a good gig and pays pretty well once you work your way up and gain the necessary certifications.

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Naww - for those that read the OP, I mentioned picking it up for giggles/fall back later type of deal.

Simply adding skills and learning for the sake of learning but I'll not waste GI bill money on learning something I can't make a nickel with were I forced to.

Both the welding and machining programs here have a 2-3 year wait for placement, there's a lot of competition for spots.

Me

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Boring aze work...

I'm trained to work in our validation room running CMMs to do PAC checks on our castings. I prefer to be down in the shop getting my hands dirty making parts. YMMV

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by m_s_s

Sam like you I am just a burner of metals lol. Learned on the ranch and high school. Have built some equipment and repaired a lot. Built several set of sucker rod and drill stem corrals. Lol better cowboy than I was welder. Ed

Ed, it looks like a herd of geese chit all over the place when I get done....grin

Steel corrals tough to beat, literally.

We use mostly continuous for any new projects. Fast and way stronger than wood.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by johnw
Hey Ed,

Are your kids mig welding your spools out? Does insurance regulation hinder you as to process?

Yes and no. Lloyds is there to confirm we are complying with our specs and procedures. They know we know what we are doing.

Cooling water pipe.

[Linked Image]

Lifting trunnions. One on each corner.

[Linked Image]

6,500 tonnes on the hook. Yours truly in the center.

[Linked Image]

And away she goes to be set on the hull.

[Linked Image]

No boredom here.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
WOW!

That is bad ass Ed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ed,....that last pic,...of the Crane Barge and that lift.

Below the spreader bars,....what SIZE are those slings ?

Are they assembled with a splice, or clamp ?

Beautiful riggin' !

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Teal,

Use the rest of the GI bill going to line school. Lots of job openings now and if you do it wrong you get to weld some......if your lucky!

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Ed,....that last pic,...of the Crane Barge and that lift.

Below the spreader bars,....what SIZE are those slings ?

Are they assembled with a splice, or clamp ?

Beautiful riggin' !

GTC

Greg,

The slings are spliced and 10" in diameter. This is the largest crane Samsung has at 8000 tonnes. Hyundai just completed building a 10 tonne one. Another favorite photo I took from my office, a hunk of ship... They are masters with rigging no doubt.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM

The slings are spliced and 10" in diameter.

Glad I don't have to carry the fid for that. Or to use it...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Welding is a nice hobby, took a travel trailer frame from this,
[Linked Image]

To this.
[Linked Image]

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I plan to retire very soon and bought myself a Miller 211 for Christmas to learn with. Really looking forward to it.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 54 invisible), 2,704 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,217
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.