-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
here is my take. I have held a D1.1, 1.5 and a heap of pipe certs for a long time. I own a very nice machine shop and make my bulk of money sitting in crane.

what ever you are going to do, be better than most at it. make sure that a robot could never do YOUR job. have a STEADY hand and the ability to stay calm 100% of the time.

I spend a good number of hours working iron around some instant death if I let confidence get ahead of talent. stay focused, continue to chase knowledge and try hard to have fun at what you do.

if I had a do over in life, I would be working for a local utility as a natural gas meterman/welder or a lineman.

if you think you may want to become a welder, I would suggest you throw a handful of bb's in a frying pan and get them up to high heat, dump a few down your shirt and be certain at least one goes into your ear.....that sizzle you hear, is normal. did you jump, wiggle or move? if so.....you are gonna need to repeat until you don't. it takes a steady hand, good eyes and the ability to not mind picking your nose at Christmas dinner to dig out those smoke induced bugers.

think service of needs of those who have money...utilities, governments...etc they pay the bills and have positions that will not me turned over to a robot anytime soon.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by teal
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Welding will pay more once you have the certifications.

Real world numbers?

I make a bit over 51 dollars per hour with over time after 40, benefits and 17 dollars per hour for my truck and machine. I weld pipelines and you could not pay me enough to work in nuke plants or refineries.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To me, the trouble with welding is that if you can, then you must, or your world will not be at peace.

It's like a pronounced doom, or fate...

I am old. My eyes aren't all that good any more. Aint' nobody wants to hear it, though...

I suspect one day their gonna miss me at dinner time, and find me wedged back into a [bleep] hole.
Dead with a stinger in my hand...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by teal
Naww - for those that read the OP, I mentioned picking it up for giggles/fall back later type of deal.

Simply adding skills and learning for the sake of learning but I'll not waste GI bill money on learning something I can't make a nickel with were I forced to.

Both the welding and machining programs here have a 2-3 year wait for placement, there's a lot of competition for spots.

The welding programs that do placements are largely Mig schools looking to fill factories with piecework laborers doing low pay production welding.

Yes, they are welders, but there is no draw for me.

Pick up some basics from an experienced welder. Buy a machine and practice.
Practice a lot...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by johnw
To me, the trouble with welding is that if you can, then you must, or your world will not be at peace.

I am old. My eyes aren't all that good any more. Aint' nobody wants to hear it, though...

I suspect one day their gonna miss me at dinner time, and find me wedged back into a [bleep] hole.

I'm going to Frame this and post it on my shop wall, Amigo.

grin

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by crossfireoops

I'm going to Frame this and post it on my shop wall, Amigo.

grin

Damn...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by high_country_
here is my take. I have held a D1.1, 1.5 and a heap of pipe certs for a long time. I own a very nice machine shop and make my bulk of money sitting in crane.

what ever you are going to do, be better than most at it. make sure that a robot could never do YOUR job. have a STEADY hand and the ability to stay calm 100% of the time.

I spend a good number of hours working iron around some instant death if I let confidence get ahead of talent. stay focused, continue to chase knowledge and try hard to have fun at what you do.

if I had a do over in life, I would be working for a local utility as a natural gas meterman/welder or a lineman.

if you think you may want to become a welder, I would suggest you throw a handful of bb's in a frying pan and get them up to high heat, dump a few down your shirt and be certain at least one goes into your ear.....that sizzle you hear, is normal. did you jump, wiggle or move? if so.....you are gonna need to repeat until you don't. it takes a steady hand, good eyes and the ability to not mind picking your nose at Christmas dinner to dig out those smoke induced bugers.

think service of needs of those who have money...utilities, governments...etc they pay the bills and have positions that will not me turned over to a robot anytime soon.

Excellent post buddy, but I have to say if I get a hot one down the pants I'll be dancing like Michael Jackson... I'm big I'm bad, I know it, but molten metal on the balls or schlong hurts!!!! cry eek

Hey, has anyone posted pics? We know who welds here. This is what I do:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Good thread guys. Keep up the good work!! To the newbie welder/fitters out there, don't be too quick to say something can't be done!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Excellent post buddy, but I have to say if I get a hot one down the pants I'll be dancing like Michael Jackson... I'm big I'm bad, I know it, but molten metal on the balls or schlong hurts!!!! cry eek

I have caught on fire several times and you just halve to hold your self some times to finish what you are welding before you can even flinch.

If you do not like fire stay away from welding

I have my CWI and the illegals here is Cali have destroyed the construction market here.

I am inspecting two different company's on the job I am on right now and the certified welders in the field are making $12.00 per hour.

I have a full rig set up with a 500amp. diesel welder , 80 gal. air comp, 45 ton iron worker, 60 amp. plasma and all the extras. I use to get $80.00 per hour with my rig.

Physically I last 1 day and I am down for 3 or 4 getting old sucks and welding and iron takes its toll on you.

Good luck on what you decide on doing.

Last edited by funshooter; 02/22/15.
pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have worked with a lot of welders pipelining in the Arctic. While I would like to be able to lay a decent bead I wouldn't want to do it for a living.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by funshooter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I have caught on fire several times and you just halve to hold your self some times to finish what you are welding before you can even flinch.

If you do not like fire stay away from welding

I have my CWI and the illegals here is Cali have destroyed the construction market here.

I am inspecting two different company's on the job I am on right now and the certified welders in the field are making $12.00 per hour.

I have a full rig set up with a 500amp. diesel welder , 80 gal. air comp, 45 ton iron worker, 60 amp. plasma and all the extras. I use to get $80.00 per hour with my rig.

Physically I last 1 day and I am down for 3 or 4 getting old sucks and welding and iron takes its toll on you.

Good luck on what you decide on doing.

Getting burnt is all part of the job. Look at a welders arms and the scars tell the story.. wink

BSA MAGA
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
"Welding" covers an awful lot of ground.

I've taught at community colleges, and can assure you that the "Career Counciling" pimps will be pushing whatever curricula within which there's a registry shortfall.

A two year "associate degree" does not a welder make, and the fellows who started out as helpers, riggers, and deckhands will most often eclipse the performance (and DRIVE) of the freshly graduated fella with ink drying on his ticket.

CNC or welding ?

I say BOTH !

GTC

That's a fact

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And to fuel the fire.....a bunch of "welders" are not worth the cost of a used 4" rock on a torch. Spend time fitting your own connections without power tools. ....it will make you a hand or realize that this is not your cup of tea.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
"Welding" covers an awful lot of ground.

I've taught at community colleges, and can assure you that the "Career Counciling" pimps will be pushing whatever curricula within which there's a registry shortfall.

A two year "associate degree" does not a welder make, and the fellows who started out as helpers, riggers, and deckhands will most often eclipse the performance (and DRIVE) of the freshly graduated fella with ink drying on his ticket.

CNC or welding ?

I say BOTH !

GTC

That's a fact

Dunno about that... I've worked with guys who went to the school of hard knocks and they were still trying to get a chance to learn TIG pipe welding 20 years into their career. Not many employers I've been around say "Let Jim weld that, he needs to practice his 5G stick pipe today." They go with the people who already have the basics down and pretty much know what they are up against.

When I qualify people it is really apparent on the test who has had some quality school/training time as compared to those who are just hoping to figure it out during the test and their company sent them in hoping to get them certified.

While an AAS degree isn't everything and it often comes down to the person, not many people aspiring to weld, go to Home Depot and buy a stick of XXH 2" pipe to practice on it in their garage and teach themselves.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The better the cut=the better the fit-up=better welds. Win/win

The first thing I learned was never loan out cutting tips. Too many think a file and or chipping hammer is the way to clean one.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And to fuel the fire.....a bunch of "welders" are not worth the cost of a used 4" rock on a torch. Spend time fitting your own connections without power tools. ....it will make you a hand or realize that this is not your cup of tea.

That's fuel that SHOULD be thrown.

Some of the hacking and outright steel butchery that goes on commonly now would have the hands that brought me up shakin' their heads in disgust.

I've made the mistake of letting some of these apes use my equipment once or twice,... = ruined tip, and crushed valve seats in the torch bud and body.

As far as competency with oxy cutting gear, or a lack thereof,...I find it PARTICULARLY bad here in S.E. Az.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Getting burnt is all part of the job. Look at a welders arms and the scars tell the story..

Seems a welder hasn't arrived til he's stood 170 ft in the air on an 8" beam and poured a paper cup of gator-ade on his sack for relief...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lonny, I'd say that the U.S. is still just a little to BIG, with marked geographical variations in Apprenticeship / Training protocols.

I'm a LONG way from "The Valley" ,...but from what I'm reading in the local trade rags, the Aero-Industrial industries in Phoenix are more and more leaning towards in-house curricula, and bringing up their top hands in house.

Worth noting as well that The technical schools up there, in synch with the process equipment manufacturers are starting to push HIGH SCHOOL Vo-tech again,machining and welding, as well as engine building, and such. This is something IMHO that's been sadly lacking from the American landscape for a while, and damned good to see.

GTC.

Last edited by crossfireoops; 02/22/15.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Getting burnt is all part of the job. Look at a welders arms and the scars tell the story..

Seems a welder hasn't arrived til he's stood 170 ft in the air on an 8" beam and poured a paper cup of gator-ade on his sack for relief...

Hell man,....you could become to the welding game what Baxter Black has to ranching and cowboyin'.

grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had to google that one.

Him and me share a birthday...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your approach to the humorous aspects of our "occupations" certainly fall under the same stars.

I'll be REALLY pissed if you ever start posting dead serious gloom and doom, "America as we knew it is gone....' Horse apple posts.

GTC

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,271
Posts18,486,613
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.