Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Hang tuff, it WILL get better.

I got divorced after 26 years.6 months later, met a gal who will do anything for me. She took hunter safety and hunted turkey and deer last year. She just bought a Nosler M48 280AI and we just applied for antelope tags in WY. Life is pretty good! More importantly, my 2 daughters saw what their mother did to me. I took the high road and won big time on all accounts.

Keep the faith, you and your son will do well in life.

JD338

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
...I will never forgive her.

Once you realize and admit that your marriage failed because of what you and your wife did and didn't do, you will see that blaming her for everything is what prevents you from moving on.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I'd answer his questions about mommy honestly.

Not at this point.

That's horrible advice.

Travis

It IS horrible advice. Tell him something like this:

"Your Mom and I started out as good friends. Then we got married so we could have you.Now we are going back to being good friends again".

That's sort of how I explained the deal to my six year old Grandkids when I split from their Grandmother last year. It satisfied them.

I had a shrink tell me that it was my responsibility to tell kids what happened. His reasoning was:

"What - do you want them to grow up thinking that they can love someone with all their heart, & give 'til it hurts, but then things just 'might not work out'? That's bullshidt, and it might very well keep them from ever having a meaningful relationship with a woman. They need to know that if they both keep their pants on, they've got a fighting chance at making it: certainly no guarantees, but they'll at least have a good shot at it. But if either of them go chasing ass outside of the marriage, they're screwed (so to speak). Obviously, you don't tell them this today [the boys were 9 and under at the time], but they're gonna have to know this by the time they get to the age where they're gonna be dating women somewhat seriously. And by the time it comes to have that talk with them, you'll probably be to the point where you don't have to begin it with, 'That lying' whore... ' ".

His advice seems to have worked out pretty well.

Still, at no point did I tell them that we were going to be good friends. I'll not lie to my kids.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
FREE....FREE AT LAST!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

I had a shrink tell me that it was my responsibility to tell kids what happened. His reasoning was:

"What - do you want them to grow up thinking that they can love someone with all their heart, & give 'til it hurts, but then things just 'might not work out'? That's bullshidt, and it might very well keep them from ever having a meaningful relationship with a woman. They need to know that if they both keep their pants on, they've got a fighting chance at making it: certainly no guarantees, but they'll at least have a good shot at it. But if either of them go chasing ass outside of the marriage, they're screwed (so to speak). Obviously, you don't tell them this today [the boys were 9 and under at the time], but they're gonna have to know this by the time they get to the age where they're gonna be dating women somewhat seriously. And by the time it comes to have that talk with them, you'll probably be to the point where you don't have to begin it with, 'That lying' whore... ' ".

His advice seems to have worked out pretty well.

Still, at no point did I tell them that we were going to be good friends. I'll not lie to my kids.

FC

I would agree with that.

My kids have asked some questions and I have told them they can read every document and e-mail I have when I decide they're old enough. My son has asked direct questions to which he has gotten direct answers but he is emotionally mature for his age.

My daughter can ask those same questions when I decide she can.

There is no sugar coating in my house but there is no unnecessary information or bashing given either.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"I'll not lie to my kids."

In my case, it wasn't a lie.

The point is that you can find little snippets of truth appropriate for their level of understanding.

"Your Mom has a lot of good qualities, but.......... " is a good lead in.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
"Your Mom has a lot of good qualities, but.......... "

"...since my dick wasn't attached to the neighbor's body, I can't speak to any of them."

Something like that?

Clark

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
...I will never forgive her.

Once you realize and admit that your marriage failed because of what you and your wife did and didn't do, you will see that blaming her for everything is what prevents you from moving on.

Truth spoken.

Make a choice to realize you had some responsibility....even if it means missing red flags in the relationship. You are not a victim. Once you come to this conclusion, you feel empowered to move on and never look back.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Your Mom has a lot of good qualities, but.......... "

"...since my dick wasn't attached to the neighbor's body, I can't speak to any of them."

Something like that?

Clark

Problem with that is you are admitting you were so stupid you married a bitch who had not one redeeming quality.

Of course, if that is the case...... confession is good for the soul.

But the kid is gonna look at you funny the rest of his life. Always thinking,"What a Dumbass".

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Problem with that is you are admitting you were so stupid you married a bitch who had not one redeeming quality.

Of course, if that is the case...... confession is good for the soul.

But the kid is gonna look at you funny the rest of his life. Always thinking,"What a Dumbass".

We'll add humor to the list of things a Texan can always [bleep] up.

Travis

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Forgiveness is for Jesus, we're human fuuk that!

B
byd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
kill kill kill

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 338Rem

Flave, that is sofa king Zen like, and as they say "you cannot step in the same river twice".

WTF?

You and kamo been sippin' the saki together?

Of course you can step in the same river twice. Get out, step back in.

I think your being surrounded by Pollocks is making you stupid.

Travis

Easy pilgrim.
You are in over your head here.

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
"No man ever steps into the same river twice." Attributed to Heraclitus, as noted in Plato's Cratylus.

Clark don't care. it still be Zen like for him.

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Easy pilgrim.
You are in over your head here.

I better call kamo.

Dave

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
"No man ever steps into the same river twice." Attributed to Heraclitus, as noted in Plato's Cratylus.

Clark don't care. it still be Zen like for him.

Now we're supposed to care what some dirty Greek had to say.

Get real.

Travis

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
DC223 -Sorry for your loss and congratulations on your new start. Never been in this particular situation, but it seems the pendulum always swings the other way. Things will get better.

Very impressed by our very own Dr. Phil. Hear Ye, Hear Ye! 'Flave has a soul! I wonder what his hourly rate is for these internet therapy sessions and if comes with a complimentary dream catcher made by Dr. 'Flave. smile

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Very impressed by our very own Dr. Phil. Hear Ye, Hear Ye! 'Flave has a soul! I wonder what his hourly rate is for these internet therapy sessions and if comes with a complimentary dream catcher made by Dr. 'Flave."

Purely the influence of the Shrap.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
dogcatcher223, all you need to know about life is just 3 words. It Goes On.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
I had a shrink tell me that it was my responsibility to tell kids what happened.

Agreed. With caveats:

First, you tell them in a way that does not force them to take sides. If you drag them in, you will lose. They're going to get to the truth in the long run. If you lie, they will bust you. You may gain something in the short run but in the long run, you'll lose more.

Second, what you tell them has to be age-appropriate, filtered so they understand, but without "spin." That's a place where having a shrink to help you separate "enough" from "too much" could be a good thing.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,488 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,308
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.