Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#9632266 02/24/15
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
It's time to retire my Cooper ATR's and was looking for replacement advice, especially since I'm looking for a bit of a niche use.

Most of my driving will be in a car so the vast majority of "normal" driving won't be on these tires. The Bronco is now pretty much always going to be used for sporting field and bad weather road use. Tire tech is changing all the time (Cooper doesn't even make the ATR anymore) so I'm not sure what the latest and greatest is like these days. As for price I'm not afraid to spend if I'm getting what I pay for...though nobody wants to spend more than they have to.

Any input is appreciated.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cheap (at least in my size), loud, good in the snow and mud, OK on the road. I have them on a 3/4 ton diesel and would never run them again on a daily driver, but on a dedicated hunting rig I would do it, as long as I didn't plan on driving cross country with them.

Tires

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
BF Goodrich All Terrain

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Reloder28
BF Goodrich All Terrain

+1

smile

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If you liked the ATR, the AT/3 by Cooper is even better. I've had a set on my Tacoma for 13 months. They work great in ice/snow, and mud. Ride well on the road and are rated for 55,000 miles.

I'm sure the BF Goodrich tires are good, but I was looking at almost $1,000. I got the Coopers for $482 after the $80 rebate they were offering at the time.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Toyo Open Country AT2.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Goodrich ATs are great. I had them on my jeep. I now have goodyear duratracks and I like them even better. They look rather aggressive but aren't loud at all. After 7 months I like the duratracks better than any tire I have had so far. Time will tell about tread life. As of now they still look brand new.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have/had at least a dozen sets of bfg at's....they have always been my go to all around. I recently stumbled on Pro Comp's Xtreme AT with a 50k mile warranty, 3-4/16's deeper tread than the bfg and very quiet at a better price I jumped. I am not going back. this is the best skin for my money right now.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
here are a 5k mile old set of the pro comps...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I always get at least 65,000 from my BF Goodrich All Terrain's.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I always get at least 65,000 from my BF Goodrich All Terrain's.

I get about 40k "safe" miles on my Toyota 4runner....but the last winter after the 40k mark is scary. My dodge diesel ate them up much faster. They are still the benchmark for at tires IMO, but it is 20 year old technology. ....and directions are changing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have used different All Terrains on my last truck. Bridgestone Duelers, Hankook Dynapor ATM, Cooper Discover AT2. None were really bad but the Hankook was killed at a young age by a rock.

I have been reading up on them for months and time is right since I flattened an oem on my new truck. The Cooper AT3 is sort of 'it' right now. It doesn't look very aggressive, thought better in person than on screen. Great handling and one of the best in mud is what I am finding.

In truth I am going another route...for no 'good' reason except looks and cost. I am going with a Hercules Terra Trac II in slightly wider tire that closely matches my current outside diameter. Doing this will increase my load capacity which will be nice if I ever move my camper off the lease. I am looking at 255/70r17 set of four out the door for $636- that is after tax. So....will take the plunge this week. Hercules is made by Cooper.

If looking on line at Discount or tire rack or simple tire etc... when looking at reviews I don't pay attention to comments from people whose vehicle is dissimilar to mine - or that review the tires as GREAT when brand new.

Good luck.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I just put a set of the new BFG All-Terrain KO2's on my truck. I like them a lot. The sidewall is a lot more aggressive than the old KO's. I was looking at the Toyo AT2 but Discount didn't stock them, they were more expensive and I didn't want to wait.

I would be tempted to go with a mud terrain or more hybrid type tire if I saw more off-road miles something like the Dick Cepek Fun Country or Goodyear Duratrac

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As a BFG AT tire fan for many, many years I am now a Toyo fanatic.

Yes, Discount Tire might not stock them but will get them and be very competitive with price if you just negotiate a little. I have bought 3 sets of Toyo tires from them: 35" Toyo mud terrain on my lifted F150 (fantastic tires and wear like iron AND are quiet), and 2 sets of Toyo AT2 on both of my 4-runners.

Toyo tires have outlasted any BFG AT that I ever ran, and look great doing it. Get the Toyo's!

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you don't go into rocky country, or really soft conditions, then I'd use the Michelin LTX AT2, which have been good off road for me, and nice on the highway, too. But in the rocks you want strong sidewalls, like the BFG All-Terrains KO2, which are more aggressive. You'll lose ~1 mpg on the highway, with the more aggressive tire, in my experience.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

My tires must be like my guns and truck. My truck gets 14 miles/gallon, my guns shoot around an inch and I never get more than 20,00 miles out of a tire on my truck. Somehow I always get the worst of everything as it seems everybody else's guns shoot 1/2 inch, their trucks get 22 MPG and they get 55,000 miles out of their tires.

The best set of tires I ever had were the Michelin 10 plies that came on my 2008 Dodge pickup. I got 40,000 miles out of them, and they were nothing more than a standard road tire. Out of those miles, when I was in snow/off road, they were spectacular. I just couldn't bring myself to buy an unaggressive tire for a hunting truck.

However, they were fantastic, I should get them again...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
BF Goodrich All Terrain

yept.......only the new series 'BFG AT KO2'

265x75x16 about $203 a pop.......

Discount Tire Direct..free shipping/no tax (for most)

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by tikkanut
BF Goodrich All Terrain

yept.......only the new series 'BFG AT KO2'

265x75x16 about $203 a pop.......

Discount Tire Direct..free shipping/no tax (for most)

That's the exact tire I got. $1079 out the door with replacement certs. The Toyos were pretty close in price.

I went from P-Rated 4-ply highway tire to an E-Rated 10-ply all terrain (~15 lb heavier) and was surprised that I only lost about 1mpg.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Yokohama Geloander 10 ply.

Best fuggin' AT tire made.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My tires must be like my guns and truck. My truck gets 14 miles/gallon, my guns shoot around an inch and I never get more than 20,00 miles out of a tire on my truck. Somehow I always get the worst of everything as it seems everybody else's guns shoot 1/2 inch, their trucks get 22 MPG and they get 55,000 miles out of their tires.

Ain't that the damn truth right there!!!!! Good one Kirk. Truer words were never spoken and TFF.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

419 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 40 invisible), 1,909 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,635
Posts18,493,138
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.