Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
backtobethel,

We probably neglected to tell you this, but all the good advice (from the true experts, not from me) is not free. It is now time to pay up. In order to do so, you are required to:
- Take and post some good pictures of the rifle when it arrives.
- Keep us apprised of how it shoots.
- Continue to take and post pictures if you decide to restore or refinish.
Not truly required, of course, but we do like to participate vicariously.

Gun Doc

Last edited by GunDoc7; 02/13/15.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You did fine at that price and if the time comes you want to sell you may even make a couple hundred. Especially so if it shoots well. If it does and you clean up the stock it is almost guaranteed.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats on the rifle!! Let us know how it shoots for you! smile

Eric

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, $1,000, including a Leupold--good price. Bottom metal looks clean.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Varmintguy gave excellent advice on correcting the rear sight mis-position. I might add if you don't have a vice, try this (takes another pair of hands):

After removing the elevator as VG instructed. lay the gun on carpet with your helper firmly holding it against the floor so the rifle cannot move, using a flattened piece of deer antler for the pusher, tap the rear sight out of the dovetail, remembering to go left to right to remove it.

You will not mar the metal with the antler and it is amazingly tough. You should have no issues with the sight being difficult to remove. Sights that have sat in the dovetail since new can be a bugger to remove sometimes. That is not the case with yours.

Enjoy that new rifle!

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks guys. I'll post some pics when I get it.

Give me land, lots of land, under starry skies above. Don't fence me in.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
backtobethel,

We probably neglected to tell you this, but all the good advice (from the true experts, not from me) is not free. It is now time to pay up. In order to do so, you are required to:
- Take and post some good pictures of the rifle when it arrives.
- Keep us apprised of how it shoots.
- Continue to take and post pictures if you decide to restore or refinish.
Not truly required, of course, but we do like to participate vicariously.

Gun Doc
+1! laugh

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
backtobethel, never said what the scope was beyond Leupold. With the med high rings and length I'm thinking it is a M8 6x36? The rear sight was put on backwards simply to keep it with the rifle, helluva lot better than an empty dovetail in my opinion. It looked like it might have cleared the scope but certainly not with the scope caps used. Looks like an honest gun to me, back then a lot of guys, ex military put military style slings on their rifles because they were taught to shoot with them. They also had the mindset that a gun was a tool and used as such, not going to any great pains to spare the stupid marks on them. With a 24" barrel that 270 should produce the kinda ballistics that built the 270's rep. $1000? looks to me like it will be well spent. That's an example of value in excess of the norm for greenbacks today. Goodluck. Magnum Man

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
FWIW, the military style sling on that particular rifle was put on backwards. The end that comprises the shooting loop, which can be adjusted to the individual to use as a shooting aid, should be on the front swivel. The tail piece, which adjusts the length of the sling for carrying, goes on the rear swivel. A properly installed military style sling will not mar the stock finish. A classic shooting sling for a '57 M70 might be a Whelan sling,or possibly a Brownell's Qwik-Set Latigo. Both have front loops that can be adjusted for size for use as a shooting sling. A nylon version of the Brownell's is the Outdoor Connections "Super Sling", or at least it used to be.

backtobethel, looking forward to nice pics of your rifle!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
You done good! If you decide you are not happy with this gun I will take it off your hands! very best winpoor

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Mr. backtobethel: Just wanted to congratulate you on your purchase. I believe that you will fall in love with this rifle. For about 30 plus years now, I've hunted almost exclusively with various pre-64 model 70s. Most have been either re-barreled or re-stocked or both. However about 10 years ago I acquired a standard grade .270. It is definitely not a collector with shortened stock with pad, missing rear sight and front sight hood. However, the action is all original. I gave the stock a re-finish job. The old Leupold 2-7 sets in a Redfield jr. mount. I think total weight is just under 8 3/4 lbs. I did re-bed it. It has become my most used rifle and has accounted for almost all my coyotes as well as occasional whitetail. It shoots very well. All I use is 130 Nosler BTs. Personally, I think many folks make way too big of a deal over weight. There is no doubt in my mind that a heavier rifle "holds" better, both on the bench and in the field, at least for me. I've contemplated putting a set of Talley aluminum one piece mount and rings on it to lessen the weight just a tad. If I were to use it for mountain hunts I'd probably do that. So again, congrats. I would go slow to make major changes like another stock. Put a good quality small power variable or fixed power 4 or 6x, shoot it, and go from there. H4831 has become somewhat a standard for the .270 for good reason. I know that's pretty old school thinking, but it has worked very well for me.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Well, finally picked up the rifle. I'm a sucker for period optics, so I scoped it up with a Hensoldt Dialytan in Buehler mounts that I've been holding for a Model 70. Not really happy with the sight blank, but it's all I had. I like the way the scope looks and, needless to say, I'm very happy with the rifle. I would say the metal is about 95% condition and the wood is about 85-90% (accounting for the scratches) with nice sharp checkering. Thanks again for everyone's input.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i106.photobucket.com/al...070%20270/IMG_1535_zpsnw6xh9bn.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i106.photobucket.com/al...070%20270/IMG_1536_zpsgo4gntjf.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i106.photobucket.com/al...070%20270/IMG_1537_zpsqlgb34za.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i106.photobucket.com/al...070%20270/IMG_1538_zpsu50y4s6l.jpg[/img]

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Very nice and well bought....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My friend , you may not have knocked it out of ball park BUT you hit a triple on that one! My offer stands!! very best WinPoor

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
That's sweet and a .270 to boot. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Nice gun!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
backtobethel,

In your original post, you stated:
"I'm seeking an all original gun in nice shooter/hunter condition."
IMO, you could hardly have ordered up a better one.

I remember the original scope was an M8 Leupold. What power? I might have stayed with that, but I'm not into period optics. Having said that, your choice certainly makes the combination look nice.

Glad you lost the sling, or if you keep it, at least put it on correctly. Don't loose track of that correct rear sight!

Keep us posted as to how it shoots.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 02/27/15.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Great looking rifle and IMO a very fair price. Shoot it an enjoy!

PS _ put he M8 back on!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
backtobethel,
I don't think you done bad at all. The bluing looks good and I'll bet that stock would clean up nicely. Checkering looks good, too!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

107 members (300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 1,540 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,719
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.