Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

In a windowless classroom at an Arcadia tutoring center, parents crammed into child-sized desks and dug through their pockets and purses for pens as Ann Lee launches a PowerPoint presentation.

Her primer on college admissions begins with the basics: application deadlines, the relative virtues of the SAT versus the ACT and how many Advanced Placement tests to take.

Then she eases into a potentially incendiary topic — one that many counselors like her have learned they cannot avoid.

“Let's talk about Asians,” she says.

Lee's next slide shows three columns of numbers from a Princeton University study that tried to measure how race and ethnicity affect admissions by using SAT scores as a benchmark. It uses the term “bonus” to describe how many extra SAT points an applicant's race is worth. She points to the first column.

African Americans received a “bonus” of 230 points, Lee says.

She points to the second column.

“Hispanics received a bonus of 185 points.”

The last column draws gasps.

Asian Americans, Lee says, are penalized by 50 points — in other words, they had to do that much better to win admission.

“Do Asians need higher test scores? Is it harder for Asians to get into college? The answer is yes,” Lee says.

Read full article here if you feel you must.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-adv-asian-race-tutoring-20150222-story.html#page=1

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The USA will recover when it returns to a meritocracy.

Universities such as the above are very rapidly making themselves irrelevant.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Yep.

If you show up for the race, you win a trophy. Unless you are white... then you just get to pay the entry fee and go home empty handed after you win the race.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Non issue.
Seeing as most dont take the SAT till the junior or senior year and
The majority of blacks drop out by then.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
B
BFD Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
At least most of them would avoid misusing "your" 4 times in one subject line.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That's just your opinion. You're not modern enough. blush

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Racism is alive and well, it's just been taken over by a different group of people who have tried to put lipstick on that pig.

Then - "You're just a bunch of n*ggers and you'll never be as good as white folk."

Now - "You poor disadvantaged African Americans. You will never have anything or achieve anything unless a white person gives it to you or allows you to have it."

Both are reprehensible, but at least the former is honest in it's delivery.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BFD
At least most of them would avoid misusing "your" 4 times in one subject line.

that statement is really worth a (bfd) pun intended.

At least I can count, math sure doesn't seem to be "YOUR" strong point! whistle

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"white... screwed, Asian... screwed"

"Once you've tried Asian, you'll never go caucasian"

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by DesertSandman

In a windowless classroom at an Arcadia tutoring center, parents crammed into child-sized desks and dug through their pockets and purses for pens as Ann Lee launches a PowerPoint presentation.

Her primer on college admissions begins with the basics: application deadlines, the relative virtues of the SAT versus the ACT and how many Advanced Placement tests to take.

Then she eases into a potentially incendiary topic — one that many counselors like her have learned they cannot avoid.

“Let's talk about Asians,” she says.

Lee's next slide shows three columns of numbers from a Princeton University study that tried to measure how race and ethnicity affect admissions by using SAT scores as a benchmark. It uses the term “bonus” to describe how many extra SAT points an applicant's race is worth. She points to the first column.

African Americans received a “bonus” of 230 points, Lee says.

She points to the second column.

“Hispanics received a bonus of 185 points.”

The last column draws gasps.

Asian Americans, Lee says, are penalized by 50 points — in other words, they had to do that much better to win admission.

“Do Asians need higher test scores? Is it harder for Asians to get into college? The answer is yes,” Lee says.

Read full article here if you feel you must.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-adv-asian-race-tutoring-20150222-story.html#page=1

Wow.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
IC B3

21 Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Why not just put down on everything that you are black, no matter if you are white as snow? Everyone. It would quickly become irrelevant.

"Never force anything, just get a bigger hammer".
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
perhaps removing the race box from the SAT test and replacing it with American or non-American would be the answer...

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Affirmaive action (or it's basic idea)in it's finest hour.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by high_country_
perhaps removing the race box from the SAT test and replacing it with American or non-American would be the answer...
Remove it complete if all these minorities really want to be treated equal

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Or quit whining and start studying.

Troll Slayer--Last Best Hope and Lord and Savior of the unwashed masses.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have been hearing about the home DNA test. It seems we have all developed from basically one mother from Africa. That should be grounds for putting Black or African on every application that calls for your ethnic back ground.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I often put African American on my form 4473s....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

My daughter is Asian so the article is quite interesting to me. Thanks for posting.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Do they have African Canadians?
I've never heard of one.

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
DesertSandman: Myself and my family have been dealing with and enduring this type of "liberal white guilt" driven "reverse discrimination" for 45+ years now - nothing new in your copied (?) article excerpt!
Your copy does not enlighten at all but it does illuminate another REMINDER for folks on how screwed up our society can be when guilt ridden liberals make decisions for others.
Sad that.
Be careful WHO you vote for may be the big lesson in this regard.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10gaugeman, 1337Fungi, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 21, 51 invisible), 2,205 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,767
Posts18,476,729
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.