Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That reminds me of the guy who hated work and was so anxious to get to heaven so he wouldn't have to work ever again.

Upon dying, he found himself in a beautiful place, and, when asked about it, his "guide" assured him he could do anything he wished, and have anything he wanted. The only thing which was forbidden entirely was... work.

After considerable time passed he grew bored and asked his Guide if there was not some little chores he could do to pass the time.

Once again he was reminded that work was forbidden.

After multiple requests of the same nature, and being told the same thing each time, he blurted out:

"I'll go mad in this place. I'd rather be in Hell!"

"Oh... and where is it that you THINK you are?" grin

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Just for the record....Neither Curdog, nor his son, have a wife at the present time. The Lady mentioned is my son's ex-wife and, I'll repeat myself, she is a GOOD woman.

Being an Atheist doesn't preclude being a good person when judging by the world's standard. And THAT is the only standard available to me.

"For who can know the heart of a man......... " ?

That is very true. There will be a lot of good people go to hell though, unfortunately.

You admit your religions calls for good people to suffer an eternity of torment.

How is this moral?

In order to call something or someone "good" there has to be an absolute standard. Without an absolute standard, no one or nothing is either good or bad.

In the same sense, to conclude something as moral or immoral, one has to have an absolute standard. Without an absolute standard, there is no way to conclude there is any differnec in an eternity in torment or an eternity of bliss.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
"In order to call something or someone "good" there has to be an absolute standard. Without an absolute standard, no one or nothing is either good or bad."

I don't know about that. I've got a Mark V Weatherby in 257 WBY that I think is just real good.

I didn't have to measure it against ANY standard to develop that opinion.

Life ain't nearly as complicated as some folks make it out to be.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
No new snow. In fact, we're starting to thaw today. Gonna be a big mess.

Please notice that I didn't use "God", or "prayer", in my post. You interjected them in yours.

Science depends on observation. The "start up of the Universe" [since "creation" doesn't suit you] - by it's very nature - could only occur one time, so it doesn't lend itself to observation or experiments in duplication.

Seems like I read something the other day where some scientists argue for a static universe that "just always has been".

The only thing scientist seem to agree on is that it couldn't have been designed by a Higher Power.

Didn't think Science was in the business of proving negatives.

Yes, my friend, I may have added a few things. There are many flavors of Theist here on The Fire, so please just consider those comments as directed toward them and not yourself.

As for your statements about science and observation, yes science requires observation, but it does not require direct observation. As an example, we can know the orbital period of Pluto of 247.68 years, but we've only know about since 1930. Another example is dark matter. We've never directly observed dark matter, but we've observed it's effects through measuring the rotational velocity of solar systems, and it gravitational lensing, i.e. the effect of dark matter curving light as it moves through space. Gravitational lensing was first predicted, based on the hypothesis that dark matter existed, and then later observed. It is this, that science requires. That a hypothesis can make predictions that can be confirmed with observation, and those observations are repeatable, not a specific event in the past.

As for a static Universe, that went out the window with Edwin Hubble in 1923, and if you think the new mathematical model proposed by Sauyra Das of the University of Lethbridge in Cananda, supports a static universe, well, that's not quite right either. His idea is for a universe that is in effect eternal, due to time dilation, when everything was together before the universe began to expand. This leads to a universe filled with a super fluid of hypothetical partials. Because this is science, they are considering ways to test this hypothesis with real world, ahh, universe, observations, such as whether or not the observed distribution of dark matter in the universe matches with these mathematical predictions or not. Of course these would be indirect observations, since we cannot directly observe dark matter. Of course disproving this hypothesis would not help your case. Regardless if science disproves the Das Model, the Krauss Model, or M theory, it moves us no closer to your position that (the Christian) "God did it", or any other supernatural claim whether it be Zeus, Vishnu, birds fluttering their wings over a primordial ocean, or Leprechauns.

As for your last statement, once again, you just misunderstand science, and the burden of proof. Since the Christian God is constructed in a way that is is an unfalsifiable claim, the burden of proof is upon the person making the claim, not the person who disbelieves it. The classical example of this is "Russell's Teapot", where Bertram Russel proposed it would be non-nonsensical for other to believe his proposal there was a tea pot orbiting the sun between the earth and Mars on the basis that is could not be disproven. Perhaps the only thing more nonsensical would be for scientist to spend a couple hundred million dollars on satellites to go look for it.

I find the following interesting...especially when the one gentleman makes the statement that "science in omnipotent."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJrMFv6QoX0

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
"In order to call something or someone "good" there has to be an absolute standard. Without an absolute standard, no one or nothing is either good or bad."

I don't know about that. I've got a Mark V Weatherby in 257 WBY that I think is just real good.

You are only stating your opinion in the case you cited. And your opinion only has value that you place on it.

If, however, there is a God (the God of the Bible for example), then his opinion on matters dealing with morality are absolute.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

My statements were generic and not directed toward you. I think it is good that you ex daughter-in-law is allowing your grand daughter to attend church.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Free will. Your choice.

. If a criminal with a gun to your kids head tell you to give him you wallet or he will kill him/her, and you comply, do you really believe you exhibited Free Will? A threat of eternal torture for the crime of not believing, or being made by God in such a way that you cannot believe constitutes Free Will in your mind???

If God truly intended to give us Free Will he wouldn't need the coercion, threats, and a infinite punishment for a finite crime.

A.S.
Even many who profess to be Christians really don't have a correct concept of God. They see God as a punisher and one to be appeased.Even well meaning Christians try to earn salvation by good deeds and regular church attendance.That's not the nature of God or salvation at all.

The correct way to see the situation is that by your own deeds and free will you are already Hell bound.No one is good enough on their own for Heaven. One small lie or even lack of doing the right thing disqualifies you. God's standard is so high that none can earn it. It is so high in fact that only God himself qualifies. Because of that God became a man and suffered the punishment of Hell that men deserve. Because he didn't suffer for his wrong he can grant substitution for anyone who asks. Jesus grants the gift of having suffered in place of any person who seeks salvation from him.

It's even more than just a price paid in the stead of the sinner. Being born again means a union with Christ to the point that the man or woman shares not only in the price paid but in the heart of the redeemer.That born again person has their very nature changed to desire good rather than evil.

It's not about a God who seeks to punish anyone who won't cow down. It's about a God who seeks to rescue those already lost and headed for destruction.

RH, thanks for joining the conversation. There are just a few things you left out.

From the general Christian perspective (you enlightened version may very slightly),

God made the rules.
As the all knowing, all powerful creator of the universe he could make the rules any way he chose, yet, through the doctrine of Original Sin, he choose a set of rules that would dictate their destination as hell, before they are even born.

Now because God chose to set the bar at this spot, he has to create a "loophole" where he held of human sacrifice of himself, to himself, because the rules he created where unfair to begin with.

This is just a update version of the older symmetric practice of seeking vicarious redemption through scapegoating. This is where a tribe would load their sin upon a goat and drive it into the desert to die of thirst and pretend this some how absolved the tribes of their transgression. Now this in now way actually takes away the sins of the individual or tribe. Performing a humans sacrifice, or killing a goat in now way takes away your responsibility. It in no way returns the property you stole, nor returns life to the person you murdered. This not a path to moral. This is a way to escape your morality and responsibilities by accepting another immoral act. Keep in mind, regardless of how good you are, unless you accept your pieces of this human sacrifice, you will be tormented forever, just because God says so...but he loves you.

As for a desire to do good, I have a desire to do good and not evil, no Jesus required. Same with you. Previously you've claimed you were less good in the past then you are today and you credit Jesus with your transformation. Personally I believe the transformation occurred within you, and Christianity just happened to be the philosophy you choose to follow on the path to the new, better, more moral self. You could of chosen most any new guiding philosophy, and so long as you didn't fall in with zealot nutcases, the result would of been pretty much the same.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 03/01/15.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks for the response A.S., it's always a pleasure to converse with you even if I don't agree. In fact it may be more pleasurable that way since simply agreeing with someone isn't much of a conversation.

I've always seen the scapegoat and animal sacrifice simply as the representation of Christ's true sacrifice to come. We are still saved by faith in that sacrifice and always have been, even if we didn't completely understand the representation. It was still faith in God receiving the substitute with salvation granted by him.

As far as the rules and the way God set them up, it is my belief that God simply wants people to freely choose to love him. There could be no love in the first place if we didn't have the choice not to love. I am confident that the system is set up the way it is because it's the best choice for the desired outcome.

Just remember my friend that it's never too late to choose.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Mister, I just responded to the BLACK part of your post, where you said that NOTHING could be judged good or bad without an absolute standard.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Adam was not created with Original Sin. Adam and Eve were created with free will.

There were not rules in the garden, there was only one prohibition.

It is interesting, in that light, that given the choice, mankind would choose to disobey.

It leads me to conclude that no matter how God structures the rules or "rule" in this case, free will will choose to disobey...and blame God for it.

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Just for the record....Neither Curdog, nor his son, have a wife at the present time. The Lady mentioned is my son's ex-wife and, I'll repeat myself, she is a GOOD woman.

Being an Atheist doesn't preclude being a good person when judging by the world's standard. And THAT is the only standard available to me.

"For who can know the heart of a man......... " ?

That is very true. There will be a lot of good people go to hell though, unfortunately.

You admit your religions calls for good people to suffer an eternity of torment.

How is this moral?

In order to call something or someone "good" there has to be an absolute standard. Without an absolute standard, no one or nothing is either good or bad.

In the same sense, to conclude something as moral or immoral, one has to have an absolute standard. Without an absolute standard, there is no way to conclude there is any differnec in an eternity in torment or an eternity of bliss.

This is just not true. A discussion of morality does not require an absolute standard, just that it is defined. As an example we could agree that any Parado Improvement, i.e. any action that makes at least one person better off, without making anyone worse off, as a moral action.

Like wise Curdog could conclude that his Mark V Weatherby .257 suit his purposes better then anything else for the same money. Likewise I could conclude that for my different conditions, I would like it with a different scope, or different caliber. In each case we may both be making the best decision available to us, and as our technology and resources change, (hey with these new bonded bullets, I DON'T need something bigger that recoils more then a .257), our understanding of "good" may change. If this wasn't the case, there would be one and only one standard for firearms, and no need for internet hunting forums.

Of course the unspoken part of your argument is that God is part of this absolute standard, and you cannot introduce God into the definition of Good or Moral without creating a circular argument, thereby invalidating your whole point. If by contrast you introduce a definition that does not include God, God is not necessary, and again, you invalidate your argument.

As for Curdog's .257 Bee, I'm confident it's a fine rifle. It makes him happy, an to me, that's is a good thing.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 03/01/15.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Thanks for the response A.S., it's always a pleasure to converse with you even if I don't agree. In fact it may be more pleasurable that way since simply agreeing with someone isn't much of a conversation.

I've always seen the scapegoat and animal sacrifice simply as the representation of Christ's true sacrifice to come. We are still saved by faith in that sacrifice and always have been, even if we didn't completely understand the representation. It was still faith in God receiving the substitute with salvation granted by him.

As far as the rules and the way God set them up, it is my belief that God simply wants people to freely choose to love him. There could be no love in the first place if we didn't have the choice not to love. I am confident that the system is set up the way it is because it's the best choice for the desired outcome.

Just remember my friend that it's never too late to choose.

Yes, my Alabama friend, always enjoy it when you join the discussion as well. I think part of the reason is because you do bring a modern, enlightened vision of Christianity to the table were you are willing to interpret much of scripture in a symbolic vs. a literal way. It seems to me, that when a person is religion, that on average, the more symbolic and less literal their interpretation, the fewer bad actions is causes them to take on this earth. Recently I was reading about a new Christian sect that interpreted the Bible in a completely symbolic fashion. With the rapid growth of non-believers in this country, it will be interesting to see how this new Church develops.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Adam was not created with Original Sin. Adam and Eve were created with free will.

It is interesting, in that light, that given the choice, mankind would choose to disobey.

It leads me to conclude that no matter how God structures the rules or "rule" in this case, free will will choose to disobey...and blame God for it.

Georgia Boy,

I don't think I've debated you on this topic before. Regarding the Book of Genesis, do you interpret it in as literal or figurative truth?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
You've attempted to do a couple things above, so lets walk through them.

You've essentially moved on to a conversational version of the "Cosmological Argument". You begin by stating "You inhabit a creation". What I know is that I live in a Universe. To say it is a "creation" is a fallacy of presupposition, that presupposes a creator that has not been established by evidence.

Next you ask if I have any evidence this Universe came from nothing. Here, you are attempting to shift the burden of proof. If Science is unable to prove a specific model for the creation of the Universe, it gets you no close to your proposition that "God did it". Regardless, we do have evidence, and at this moment the model it seems to best support is the Lawrence Krauss model of "A Universe from Nothing".

Next you ask about the first cause, which has it's own problems. Your assumption that the infinite regress of cause and effect ends with your God is just a case of "special pleading". One argument for the cosmological argument is that the universe is too complex to create itself. However intelligence is extremely complex, and an intelligence that can create the universe, micromanage it, all the lives of all the beings within it, through listening to and answering their prayer, would be exponentially more complex then the universe itself, and hence, to complex to cause itself, which leads to the question, "Who created God". Again, the only way I've seen this question avoided is through more "special pleading", and this special pleading also avoids the question of "which god".

As for logic "demanding I admit to a cause", it does no such thing, since you statement is a based on a fallacy known as a "hasty generalization", pairs of virtual particles pop in and our of existence all the time. Islamic apologist go even further, and reject Augustine;s argument all together, because in thir words, "Observation, however shows simply that the alleged effect happens alongside the cause rather through it ... and accordingly, such a correlation is not logically necessary but is rather the outcome of a correlation is not logically necessary but is rather the outcome of mere psychological disposition or habit."

As for what logic demands of God, it demands evidence that he exists, and a presupposition is not evidence.

Keep blowing smoke! The "arguments" you are using to not believe in a deity with knowable attributes is philosophical baloney. You're going to have to do better than that, as the stuff you're trotting out here isn't even held by philosophical atheists anymore.

Here's some good books for you that quite well demonstrate the probability of theism, if you're willing to actually deal with the philosophy:

Douglas Groothius "Christian Apologetics"
Richard Swinburne "The Coherence of Theism" (to be read vis-a-vis JL Mackie "The Miracle of Theism")
Anthony Flew "There is a God"

DD,

That's a pretty broad statement. Can you please be specific about which of my arguments you consider "baloney", and provide your counter argument.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

I think we are considering what our conception of good is compared to Gods perception of good. They arent the same.

Likewise, His idea of wise and ours are two entirely different things.

smile

Last edited by eyeball; 03/01/15.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here's a good book for the Christians.

The whole Christian house of cards tumbles when the Saul/Paul card gets pulled out of the foundation.

Read "The Mythmaker," by Hyam Maccoby.

It's the final nail in the coffin of the "religion."

Troll Slayer--Last Best Hope and Lord and Savior of the unwashed masses.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

My statements were generic and not directed toward you. I think it is good that you ex daughter-in-law is allowing your grand daughter to attend church.

And I think it would be good if she were taking her to church. wink

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by GutshotBuck
Here's a good book for the Christians.

The whole Christian house of cards tumbles when the Saul/Paul card gets pulled out of the foundation.

Read "The Mythmaker," by Hyam Maccoby.

It's the final nail in the coffin of the "religion."

The final nail will be when youre in Hell.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Free will. Your choice.

. If a criminal with a gun to your kids head tell you to give him you wallet or he will kill him/her, and you comply, do you really believe you exhibited Free Will? A threat of eternal torture for the crime of not believing, or being made by God in such a way that you cannot believe constitutes Free Will in your mind???

If God truly intended to give us Free Will he wouldn't need the coercion, threats, and a infinite punishment for a finite crime.

A.S.
Even many who profess to be Christians really don't have a correct concept of God. They see God as a punisher and one to be appeased.Even well meaning Christians try to earn salvation by good deeds and regular church attendance.That's not the nature of God or salvation at all.

The correct way to see the situation is that by your own deeds and free will you are already Hell bound.No one is good enough on their own for Heaven. One small lie or even lack of doing the right thing disqualifies you. God's standard is so high that none can earn it. It is so high in fact that only God himself qualifies. Because of that God became a man and suffered the punishment of Hell that men deserve. Because he didn't suffer for his wrong he can grant substitution for anyone who asks. Jesus grants the gift of having suffered in place of any person who seeks salvation from him.

It's even more than just a price paid in the stead of the sinner. Being born again means a union with Christ to the point that the man or woman shares not only in the price paid but in the heart of the redeemer.That born again person has their very nature changed to desire good rather than evil.

It's not about a God who seeks to punish anyone who won't cow down. It's about a God who seeks to rescue those already lost and headed for destruction.

RH, thanks for joining the conversation. There are just a few things you left out.

From the general Christian perspective (you enlightened version may very slightly),

God made the rules.
As the all knowing, all powerful creator of the universe he could make the rules any way he chose, yet, through the doctrine of Original Sin, he choose a set of rules that would dictate their destination as hell, before they are even born.

Now because God chose to set the bar at this spot, he has to create a "loophole" where he held of human sacrifice of himself, to himself, because the rules he created where unfair to begin with.

This is just a update version of the older symmetric practice of seeking vicarious redemption through scapegoating. This is where a tribe would load their sin upon a goat and drive it into the desert to die of thirst and pretend this some how absolved the tribes of their transgression. Now this in now way actually takes away the sins of the individual or tribe. Performing a humans sacrifice, or killing a goat in now way takes away your responsibility. It in no way returns the property you stole, nor returns life to the person you murdered. This not a path to moral. This is a way to escape your morality and responsibilities by accepting another immoral act. Keep in mind, regardless of how good you are, unless you accept your pieces of this human sacrifice, you will be tormented forever, just because God says so...but he loves you.

As for a desire to do good, I have a desire to do good and not evil, no Jesus required. Same with you. Previously you've claimed you were less good in the past then you are today and you credit Jesus with your transformation. Personally I believe the transformation occurred within you, and Christianity just happened to be the philosophy you choose to follow on the path to the new, better, more moral self. You could of chosen most any new guiding philosophy, and so long as you didn't fall in with zealot nutcases, the result would of been pretty much the same.

Without a Jesus there would be no good or evil and there would be no right or wrong. HE created you in His image and giving you a spirit as He has made you human rather than inhuman, or an animal. That's why the lost try to convince us we are nothing but another form of animal.

A wolf or cougar teaching its young to kill and wasting 25 angors goats in the process, as ive seen cougars do, is not evil or wrong.

It has no concept or perception of right and wrong because there is no right or wrong for it.

You are different from an animal. There is a right or wrong and an evil or good for you. Its the innate knowledge of same your Creator instilled in you that lets you know you are more than an animal and are, in fact, created with a conscience, and thus, in the image of Him.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Georgia Boy,

I don't think I've debated you on this topic before. Regarding the Book of Genesis, do you interpret it in as literal or figurative truth?

I interpret it as both. I try to apply the same literary criticism as I would any other literary text. For instance, Jesus said, "I am the door..." Is he literally a door? Of course not. However, in another place He says, "No man comes to the Father but by me." So, is he the door to the Father in a literal sense? Yes.

I do not see Genesis as a book attempting to set forth scientific fact. It is an introduction, "In the beginning, God..." And a book of "types and shadows" of the one (Jesus) who was to come.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

350 members (257 mag, 1lesfox, 163bc, 1badf350, 160user, 06hunter59, 34 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 1,087 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,329
Posts18,526,586
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.