Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Antlers,

I see it this way: Science is about the things we can observe. Observe phenomena, make a theory to predict what will happen under certain conditions, and conduct an experiment to see if the theory is any good. The "scientific method." HOW things came to be.

Theology is about things we cannot observe, like God and why He acted/acts directly with this universe for instance. (Long and old theory for that, see Aquinas for one.) WHY, not how, things came to be the way they are.

To repeat an example, the theory of quantum electrodynamics allows for the possibility of light not traveling in a straight line and (so far) the theory works extraordinarily well. We know HOW to predict events and can observe if we're right. WHY it works that way and who made it do that is scientifically a meaningless question. All Science cares about is the HOW, we can set up an experiment for that and observe the results. The WHY part is the province of Philosophy and Theology.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by LostHighway
Some just arrive late to the party. It's only been 400 years since the earth began rotating around the sun.

revolving
wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Antlers,

I see it this way: Science is about the things we can observe. Observe phenomena, make a theory to predict what will happen under certain conditions, and conduct an experiment to see if the theory is any good. The "scientific method." HOW things came to be.

Theology is about things we cannot observe, like God and why He acted/acts directly with this universe for instance. (Long and old theory for that, see Aquinas for one.) WHY, not how, things came to be the way they are.

To repeat an example, the theory of quantum electrodynamics allows for the possibility of light not traveling in a straight line and (so far) the theory works extraordinarily well. We know HOW to predict events and can observe if we're right. WHY it works that way and who made it do that is scientifically a meaningless question. All Science cares about is the How, we can set up an experiment for that and observe the results. The WHY part is the province of Philosophy and Theology.

Well said.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Were all just monkeys, some more monkey than others...

When we die, we just rot in the ground. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Bob how can this be?? There is other evidence that would suggest it's an inaccurate find. shocked as so many are convinced otherwise. whistle

Lets stir the pot.. grin

http://www.discoverynews.us/DISCOVE...0Old%20As%20We%20Have%20Been%20Told.html

take it you dont believe in an Ice Age....answer to alot of the chit on there makes sence if you realize sea levels have moved 300 feet in the last 10,000 years or so.....the Great Barrier Reef is actually really phugging young, most of the animals there arent even endemic, they moved down with the sea level changes out of the reefs in the various Southeast Asian and Pacific Islands.....aborigines in Australia were walking on hard ground where the reef is now for thousands of years....also tells you why the Mississippi river delta doesnt ook that big and Niagara, which was covered with ice and not eroding for quite awhile due to there being a mile of ice over top of it....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by antlers
. . . I believe that evolution was a very clever way that God used to achieve His creative objectives.

Antlers, what is the number one reason why you believe God used evolution to create the world and everything in it. Just curious.

Reality, first and foremost.....and two centuries of consistent scientific data by thousands of logical and educated minds the world over.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Pittu
Holy schitt. Why god and evolution can't coexist to some of you guys is beyond me. Hell, if god created gravity, atoms and orgasms, why not evolution? TFF

Doesn't that require the assumption that God created gravity, atoms and orgasms?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
. . . I believe that evolution was a very clever way that God used to achieve His creative objectives.

Antlers, what is the number one reason why you believe God used evolution to create the world and everything in it. Just curious.

Reality.....and two centuries of consistent scientific data by thousands of logical and educated minds the world over.

Not only that, but it's a beautiful, elegant design that allows for Creation to continue in wonderful, mysterious ways. Human culture to doesn't remain static, nor the planet to remain constant. In fact, the design was for exactly the opposite. Evolution is simply another marvelous part of Creation.

Last edited by 4ager; 03/05/15.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Reality.....and two centuries of consistent scientific data by thousands of logical and educated minds the world over.

cause the other option means every so often god gets a wild hair up his arse and kills off some critters and makes a bunch of new ones, some of which only slightly different from the last....evolution(change over millions of years) makes more seance than constant killing and inventing new or slightly changing by god every so often......

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

That there were bipedal hominids that were not human (without a soul) and animal and who were precursors to an historic Adam and Eve is proposed by Hugh Ross, an astro-physicist.

Even for the non-believer, that really is the fundamental question...

We share something like 95% of the same DNA as [bleep] and other higher primates, but something beyond basic molecular biology defines us as "humans" and them as "animals".

Given that scientifically we can't explain that difference when comparing Humans to primates species that are alive today, I am damn sure they won't be able to do it for species that lived hundreds of thousands years ago simply based on a few fragmented remains..

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The thing that impresses me about all these assorted early remains is how many died violently; embedded spear points, smashed-in skulls, and evidence of systematic cannibalism.

Heck, even Otzi, the Iceman, a mere 4,000 years old, was shot in the back.

Hardly a bare sprinkling of hominids/humans on the face of the earth, the ultimate rural society, and they made it more dangerous than the wrong side of Detroit. Musta took considerable time and effort on their part.

Here's a pretty impartial link from Indian Country.com of all places reporting what is known about the life and times of Naia, a young teenage girl who fell into a cave in the present-day Yucatan around 13,000 years ago.

Surprising from Indian Country because near as we can tell these very early Paleoindians were decidedly politically incorrect:

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwo...cted-face-ancient-american-indian-158693

Jim Chatters, co-leader of the Hoyo Negro research team that excavated and reconstructed Naia, believes that the reason Paleoindian facial features look so different from those of modern Native Americans is that these are all indications that the earliest Americans were “risk-taking pioneers” and “the toughest men were taking the spoils and winning fights over women.” He has dubbed them “Northern Hemisphere wild-type” people that are “bold and aggressive, with hypermasculine males and diminutive, subordinate females.”

Fascinating stuff, hard to know how such a society would have functioned, cooperation between males bound by ties of kinship and/or longterm friendship seems otherwise to have been the lynchpin of human survival.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pete E,

We share something like 95% of the same DNA as [bleep] and other higher primates,

This is dated information. The similarities have been down graded to 88% or lower. We share 50% of our DNA with bananas. These facts show we share DNA similarities and that's about it.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jim Chatters, co-leader of the Hoyo Negro research team that excavated and reconstructed Naia, believes that the reason Paleoindian facial features look so different from those of modern Native Americans is that these are all indications that the earliest Americans were “risk-taking pioneers” and “the toughest men were taking the spoils and winning fights over women.” He has dubbed them “Northern Hemisphere wild-type” people that are “bold and aggressive, with hypermasculine males and diminutive, subordinate females.”

This post reminds me of what Mark Twain once wrote:
Scientists get such a wholesale lot of conjectures from such a trifling investment of facts. That guy Jim must be a genius to figure all that out from a girl's skeleton.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nope.

It used to be published that the commonality was >98.5%. It's now considered 95%.

Got a link to your diminished numbers?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Pittu
Holy schitt. Why god and evolution can't coexist to some of you guys is beyond me. Hell, if god created gravity, atoms and orgasms, why not evolution? TFF

Doesn't that require the assumption that God created gravity, atoms and orgasms?

I didnt say I assumed, I said if... smile

Eat moose, burn spruce
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Ah, so!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes, 2.8 million years ago...those were the days and we thought they would never end...

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by nighthawk
The two disciplines, Science and Theology, by the definitions of the disciplines do not interact. So they are neither compatible nor incompatible - they just don't "compat" at all.

I disagree wholeheartedly. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive at all. I believe in Creation through Evolution. I believe the world and life on this earth are God's creation, and I believe that evolution was a very clever way that God used to achieve His creative objectives.

I agree with you.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Scott F
It's really good if you throw a little brontosaurus into it for flavour.

I think Im gonna go eat some Brontosaurus with Scott.....

I'll fire up the grill, what time can you be here? grin

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Bob how can this be?? There is other evidence that would suggest it's an inaccurate find. shocked as so many are convinced otherwise. whistle

Lets stir the pot.. grin

http://www.discoverynews.us/DISCOVE...0Old%20As%20We%20Have%20Been%20Told.html

take it you dont believe in an Ice Age....answer to alot of the chit on there makes sense if you realize sea levels have moved 300 feet in the last 10,000 years or so.....the Great Barrier Reef is actually really phugging young, most of the animals there arent even endemic, they moved down with the sea level changes out of the reefs in the various Southeast Asian and Pacific Islands.....aborigines in Australia were walking on hard ground where the reef is now for thousands of years....also tells you why the Mississippi river delta doesnt ook that big and Niagara, which was covered with ice and not eroding for quite awhile due to there being a mile of ice over top of it....

Sure I believe in ice ages but so much of this is total horse chit..Can you cozy up to these interpretations? I probably could after a half bottle of Buff Trace! grin

"On the basis of facts obtained from 1835 to 1965, this magnetic field appears to have a half-life of just 1,400 years. On this basis, even 20,000 years ago there would have been enough "Joule" heat to liquefy the entire earth! One million years ago the earth would have had greater magnetism than all objects in the universe and it would have vaporized"

"Consider this: If the world were even 1 million years old, there should be nearly 84 feet of top soil! That would be a farmers delight . . . but the fact is, the shallow topsoil points to an earth that is not over 10,000 years old."

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (22250rem, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 56 invisible), 1,646 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,997
Posts18,520,346
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.