Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 43 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 42 43
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Hi guys, I'm starting a 1969 Mach 1 project for a customer.

I wish it was my car, but I'm thrilled to be the one that gets to have a run at the restoration even if it isn't mine.

The car was originally black jade, M code car, fmx trans, 3.25 locking diff.

Vin tag, door tag and buck tag are all intact and all match up to the car.

She's a little soft structurally, and somebody has repaired this car before me.... long before me.

So, I'll be unearthing old repairs and replacing some creative plate metal splints and full 2 ply body overlays with a little more love than it got on it's first makeover.

[Linked Image]

rear frame rails

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LH front torque box

[Linked Image]

yep... LH front frame rail.

[Linked Image]

Anyways, initial tear down happening tonight.

[Linked Image]

only think I haven't figured out on this tag is the 028 at the end of the top line?

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...G_20150224_185728959_HDR_zpshf2mvfdc.jpg[/img]

I will be ordering a LH rear torque box/front section of frame rail assembly, both rear halves of rear frame rails, some floor pans, front right torque box and front right frame rail, outer wheel houses, pretty much the entire trunk floor around the tank, trunk floor to quarter drops, full quarters (she's been skinned before, lots of overlap... forward apron halves.... possibly some rocker stuff.

That's just what I know about now prior to getting the paint off the car.

My plan is to support the car at the rocker pinch weld at 4 points (on my hoist) while I replace frame sections and torque boxes. Then I plan to move to rotisserie.

Alrighty, I'll post pics as we progress.

Is that a firewall tag? I believe that number 28 designates as the DSO number for Louisville.

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Greg the framing jig we use, is to have a perfectly level starting point to work off of, measure off of.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Plumb, and "square with the world", so to speak.

That tubular frame game is an art form, for sure.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
You sure didn't spoil anything. I appreciate the input.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Bootsfishing
Hi guys, I'm starting a 1969 Mach 1 project for a customer.

I wish it was my car, but I'm thrilled to be the one that gets to have a run at the restoration even if it isn't mine.

The car was originally black jade, M code car, fmx trans, 3.25 locking diff.

Vin tag, door tag and buck tag are all intact and all match up to the car.

She's a little soft structurally, and somebody has repaired this car before me.... long before me.

So, I'll be unearthing old repairs and replacing some creative plate metal splints and full 2 ply body overlays with a little more love than it got on it's first makeover.

[Linked Image]

rear frame rails

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

LH front torque box

[Linked Image]

yep... LH front frame rail.

[Linked Image]

Anyways, initial tear down happening tonight.

[Linked Image]

only think I haven't figured out on this tag is the 028 at the end of the top line?

[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e...G_20150224_185728959_HDR_zpshf2mvfdc.jpg[/img]

I will be ordering a LH rear torque box/front section of frame rail assembly, both rear halves of rear frame rails, some floor pans, front right torque box and front right frame rail, outer wheel houses, pretty much the entire trunk floor around the tank, trunk floor to quarter drops, full quarters (she's been skinned before, lots of overlap... forward apron halves.... possibly some rocker stuff.

That's just what I know about now prior to getting the paint off the car.

My plan is to support the car at the rocker pinch weld at 4 points (on my hoist) while I replace frame sections and torque boxes. Then I plan to move to rotisserie.

Alrighty, I'll post pics as we progress.

Is that a firewall tag? I believe that number 28 designates as the DSO number for Louisville.

That's a build or "buck tag" screwed to the passenger side of radiator support.

DSO on this one was twin cities mn.

Something clever here.

IC B2

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I had a '69 fastback with a 351 Windsor and the FMX auto. Fun car, and the 1969 is a favorite mustang. Also had a '65 GT coupe with a K-code 289 and a 4-speed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can't go wrong with black but Acapulco Blue is one of my favorite Mustang colors. There are some I haven't heard of in the attached link. Beatnick Blue looks good. I'd keep it the original or a factory color.

I found the factory build sheets under the carpet of my '70 Mach One. It was interesting to see the color codes for the various parts that went on the car. ie: under front spring it said gld pnk, the springs have a gold and pink paint stripe/ dab on them.

http://mustangattitude.com/mustang/1969clrpaint.shtml

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Bumpity bump

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Oh hi, I suppose you want pictures or something?

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

More ugly secrets are being uncovered as the paint comes off.

Something clever here.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by EdM
As I was/am heading towards retirement I decided I wanted to toy with an earlier car. I had mid-60's Corvette's before kids. Didn't really have a care whether Ford, GM or Mopar just did not want to spend a wad and I wanted something to work on with my youngest son. I found this clean, rust free car in SoCal for a song. All original and most rebuilt, repainted, etc. Jr now knows how to use a timing light and also what a jolt feels like. grin We are having fun with it.

[Linked Image]

Nice looking '73, this is my "Eleanor" a '71, 300hp 351C w/ C-6, I don't have pics of my '72 uploaded yet. [Linked Image]

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by RJL53
Originally Posted by EdM
As I was/am heading towards retirement I decided I wanted to toy with an earlier car. I had mid-60's Corvette's before kids. Didn't really have a care whether Ford, GM or Mopar just did not want to spend a wad and I wanted something to work on with my youngest son. I found this clean, rust free car in SoCal for a song. All original and most rebuilt, repainted, etc. Jr now knows how to use a timing light and also what a jolt feels like. grin We are having fun with it.

[Linked Image]

Nice looking '73, this is my "Eleanor" a '71, 300hp 351C w/ C-6, I don't have pics of my '72 uploaded yet. [Linked Image]

Rooster remembers a guy that had one like that when we were kids.

I think maybe I remember too....

Lived that car, rooster, do you know if Scott still has it?

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Rooster remembers a guy that had one like that when we were kids.

I think maybe I remember too....

Loved that car, rooster, do you know if Scott still has it?

No. He sold it a few years out of high school. I told him he was flippin crazy!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by RJL53
Originally Posted by EdM

[Linked Image]

The original Gone in 60 Seconds, filmed in Carson and Long Beach, is one of my favorite movies - so "B" but so great. Most of the "actors" were stuntmen if I recall. And they didn't get a lot of permits to do that stuff - it was very gorilla movie making.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
OK. Here's one to make you all sick. My brother with his just purchased 67 GT 500 with the very rare 427 medium riser. This in 1974 at a cost of $4700. What would it sell for today?

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
More ugly secrets are being uncovered as the paint comes off.

How do you remove the paint?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Sander

Something clever here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gotta strip her before ya can dress her.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by T LEE
Gotta strip her before ya can dress her.

Best way to look at the rear end too.

Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I took the time to drive down to ND's shop yesterday. I wanted to see some projects in person before they went down the road.
The '69 Ford has an unbelievably flawless paint job.
The old "Stang" is well on it's way to being another car that will be way better than new. The old Tin Chicken (Road Runner) was a beauty even though I didn't get a ride in it but the lines were flawless.

The shop....... I wish mine was that organized and clean.

If you catch ND on the right day, and time, he might, just might share a brew with a visitor. I was glad to be one of those.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Page 5 of 43 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 42 43

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (160user, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 1,923 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,874
Posts18,497,605
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.