Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I asked Leupold if my 2-7x28 Ultralight had Chinese glass and they responded that "we use has always been imported from overseas. In order for us to obtain the quantity that we need and the quality, this has always been our best option." Thus, it is directly implied that at least a portion of their product lines use Chinese glass.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I could tolerate Japanese glass, but I'd prefer not to support China

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Good luck on that these days.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Powder_Burn
I asked Leupold if my 2-7x28 Ultralight had Chinese glass and they responded that "we use has always been imported from overseas. In order for us to obtain the quantity that we need and the quality, this has always been our best option." Thus, it is directly implied that at least a portion of their product lines use Chinese glass.

NO WAY?!?!?!?!

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
No, it implies they use overseas glass, just as stated.
Percentage I don't know, but some portion of the glass is LOW. Again what percentage I don't know, but they buy at least some of their tubes, and erector sets. They have for quite some time, the least costing of the erectors is why those of us who asked to change the turrets; got told to pound sand. Not all MK IV's are the same/same source.

Last edited by Darkker; 03/15/15.

I'm a firm believer in the theory of " If it bleeds, I can kill it".
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think now nightforce has the SHV out its going to displace the mark 4's and vortex pst's. I don't trust the vortex or the leupolds.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What experiences have made you lose trust in the Mk4's and Viper PST's? What was the nature of the failures?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOW makes just about all the glass that schott doesn't in riflescopes.....I've heard that nightforce also uses LOW glass.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
And Schott has glass factories all over the world, including in China.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by high_country_
LOW makes just about all the glass that schott doesn't in riflescopes.....I've heard that nightforce also uses LOW glass.

Not to long ago, LOW made the entire Nightforce scope. I'd be willing to wager a bet that even though Nightforce is assembling scopes here now, that the parts are still made in Japan by LOW.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
10X MD SWFA is stupid good for the money.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by RDFinn

Not to long ago, LOW made the entire Nightforce scope. I'd be willing to wager a bet that even though Nightforce is assembling scopes here now, that the parts are still made in Japan by LOW.

Depends on the model. The Compacts and F1's are made in the Idaho. Some of the original models have parts from Japan and are assembled in Idaho.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What parts of the scope are actually made by them ? Sourcing parts (any amount of them) from LOW is a good thing IMO.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by TXRam
Originally Posted by slm9s
I've sold all my Nightforces and went to Sightron SIII's...

Really? I had one SIII a few years back and wouldn't put it close the the Nightforces I own - actually sold it to put towards my first Nightforce.

Really. I'm not saying SIII's are better. IMO they are just as good at tracking and resolution is damn close. I compared a few of mine at our 600 yard benchrest matches and on average my 12-42 NXS and BR Nightforces could just barely resolve bullet holes (6mm) better than my 10-50 SIII's. I've had several SIII's and no mechanical issues. I mostly run 8-32's on my rifles, but have a couple 10-50s and 6-24s. One 6-24 FFP. One 1-7 on an AR.

My eyes just "work" with the floating dot of the LRMOA reticle in the SIII. It just seems to "settle" on my POA smoother than npr1, npr2, etc. I had a couple of the NP-2DD NXS's, but the retice isn't good for holds like the LRMOA.

The kicker is the SIII is 60% of the cost of the NXS, and sometimes money gets tight.

Again, I'm not using these for hunting, so take it for what its worth.

Last edited by slm9s; 03/18/15.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for the explanation!

I had that one SIII 6-24x50, and it had big black donut looking thru it and was very hard to focus - just wasn't happy, sent it to Sightron and got a rude letter back telling me it was perfect and i didn't know how to focus a scope, yadda yadda. So personally decided no more for me no matter the price or quality.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I'm a leupold fan for hunting rifles with no turrets but will not use Leupold for turning turrets. I've had too many issues with my MK4 3.5-10x40 related to tracking and repeatability. If I was to choose in your price point, I'd seriously look at the SWFA SS line.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Folks say @#&¥! Leupold, they have import components! Well they also have an assload of CNC lathes turning tubes in Beaverton (too many people) Oregon. For better or for worse Leupold is indeed an American company directly employing over 600 Americans. They've made an assload of scopes that have worked plenty well enough to help kill mega-assloads of game over the years. I'm buying SWFAs without regret though. laugh

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
And all these people are using their made in China computers to do that crying...Most will never accept the real truths.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]
I have had a Mark IV for 11 years and only shot it a couple times. It has not worked out. It is too big. I shot a couple prairie dogs with it with the above 223.

I have a Sightron SIII that I like, but the turrets are too easy to turn.
I have another SIII that the reticle is too fine for my 64 year old eyes. Don't like that.

I have a USO, but it is first focal plane. I don't like FFP.

Most of my IOR scopes are FFP, don't like that.

I have Kahles, but the turrets are in 0.1 mils, ~~ 1/3 moa to me.

I have SWFA SS 20X that is so poorly manufactured, it is unusable.

I got a Bausch & Lomb in 1995 [still made as 3000 elite Bushnell] that has the same manufacturing defect as the SWFA SS, the lenses are out of alignment.

The scope I like does not cost much. Leupold VX3 3.5x10x40 CDS.
It does not have side focus or adjustable objective for reading mirage, but I am not that advanced as a long range hunter. I seem to shoot big game at dawn when there is little wind, and out to 500 yards.

I compulsively build rifles. I am lucky my prefered scope is cheap. I buy a lot of them.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
What would be a right asking price for a roughly 10 year old, excellent condition Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50, with standard mil dot reticle?

Thanks

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1OntarioJim, 160user, 1minute, 10Glocks, 16penny, 54 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,527
Posts18,472,651
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.