Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Hi all,

The right neckstrap anchor that holds my binoculars to my strap broke while I was walking through the woods. The binos fell from my neck. I emailed the manufacturer since the binos are still under full warranty. They told me they wouldn't be able to fix them because "the neckstrap anchor is an integrated part of the binoculars body, which can not be repaired". The warranty states that they'll repair or replace if needed.

I sent them back to the company anyway. I attached a letter with my concerns, telling them that I paid a fair price for a quality product, and would like for them make it right. I'm hoping to hear back from them soon.

Questions:
1. Am I expecting too much of the manufacturer to repair or replace the binoculars?

2. If I get them back without being repaired or replaced, are there any alternatives to using the anchor?

I don't want to mention the manufacturers name until I get a final confirmation on whether or not they'll honor their warranty. I love the binoculars but they will do me no good in my backpack while hunting.

Thanks for reading.

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I would expect them to honor the warranty and that a full warranty would cover the WHOLE product.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Was it the factory strap? What kind of connector is on the strap end (nylon webbing, metal ring, etc.)?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh, this should get interesting.

I think we can rule out Swarovksi right off the bat.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
It was an after market strap. It's a plastic lanyard style hook. The kind where you can only push one way. Terrible description I know. I've seen them my whole life but don't know what the proper name of them.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bkmcdani
It was an after market strap. It's a plastic lanyard style hook. The kind where you can only push one way. Terrible description I know. I've seen them my whole life but don't know what the proper name of them.

So go ahead and spill the beans.....which binocular is it?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My guess is Nikon

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Unless the aftermarket strap was the cause of the break, I would expect the manufacturer to pony up.

Last edited by Akbob5; 02/27/15.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

2. If I get them back without being repaired or replaced, are there any alternatives to using the anchor?

A buddy broke a strap lug on his Swarovski SLC's during a hunt and the temporary fix was to put a plastic zip-tie around the body and another zip-tie attached to that and cinched down to where it was in the same position/height as the lug and clipped the harness into it. Didn't look all that great, but it worked.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
That's not a bad idea. I appreciate the input. The post office said they'd most probably arrive by Thursday, so I'm hoping for an email by early next week.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Which company?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I received my binos back from Zen-Ray today. They fixed the eyepiece but like they said, they weren't able to repair the neckstrap anchor. I'm a little disappointed since their website clearly states that they'll repair or replace ed3's. Now I know this isn't that big of a deal but to me it's false advertising. You live and you learn I guess.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Completely unacceptable. Who doesn't use/need some sort of Neck strap!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I plan on going the zip tie route.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi all,

The right neckstrap anchor that holds my binoculars to my strap broke while I was walking through the woods. The binos fell from my neck. I emailed the manufacturer since the binos are still under full warranty. They told me they wouldn't be able to fix them because "the neckstrap anchor is an integrated part of the binoculars body, which can not be repaired". The warranty states that they'll repair or replace if needed.

I sent them back to the company anyway. I attached a letter with my concerns, telling them that I paid a fair price for a quality product, and would like for them make it right. I'm hoping to hear back from them soon.

Questions:
1. Am I expecting too much of the manufacturer to repair or replace the binoculars?

I don't want to mention the manufacturers name until I get a final confirmation on whether or not they'll honor their warranty. I love the binoculars but they will do me no good in my backpack while hunting.

Thanks for reading.

How about running a screw in side of the tube? Nice and secure. Hell, do it on the other side as well.

Note to self.... never by a Zen-Ray product.....I already knew that.

"Any one who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
- Henry Ford
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I said it a year or two ago when everyone was on the Zen Ray kick. "buy a binocular from a well know company, not one that no one will remember in 5 years" A lifetime warranty is only good for as long as the company is in business.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I received my binos back from Zen-Ray today. They fixed the eyepiece but like they said, they weren't able to repair the neckstrap anchor. I'm a little disappointed since their website clearly states that they'll repair or replace ed3's. Now I know this isn't that big of a deal but to me it's false advertising. You live and you learn I guess.

No, it IS a big deal.

From the ZR site:
If your PRIME HD, ZEN ED3, 2015 ZRS HD Binoculars or ZEN ED2 spotting scope requires service or repair, Zen-Ray will repair or replace it (even if it was your fault) for just $10, plus return shipping and handling.

I'd contact ZR and ask to speak directly to Charles.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That seems pretty clear.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
To the OP.......IMO you got screwed.

Do what SKane says and contact Charles directly.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It seems ZR should replace the binocular. Fix is likely out of the question, actually on any binocular. The strap lugs are typically cast with the frame, so you have a busted frame, not a strap lug.

I don't care who makes the binocular or how much it costs, everybody needs something like this http://optechusa.com/adapt-its.html

In the case of the OP we don't know how he attached the strap. many cases a split key ring is used. These are a pretty bad idea. Either use a cable tie or one of the adapt-its linked, or something similar.

Should it have broken, probably not, should they stand up to the warranty claims, sure, they made the claim, that is then their deal. However everybody needs to look at how they attach their accessories.

I'm with the contact Charles directly posts.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1234, 160user, 10ring1, 163bc, 58 invisible), 2,186 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,561
Posts18,531,616
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.