-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 43 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 42 43
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dave, I've heard the term torque box several times in connection with Mustangs, but what exactly is a torque box?

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You know ND, if it was easy..........

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Also, power or manual sector? Power assist?

Power.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Dave, I've heard the term torque box several times in connection with Mustangs, but what exactly is a torque box?

TB's are basically structural anchor points within the unibody type construction. they will be located in critical connection areas for various reasons. Usually to do with load bearing connection points for suspension components. The rear TB's on this stang carry the front eyelets of the leaf springs. Which is kind of a big deal...

The front TB's on this car support the front frame rails, they help attach the frame rails to the body at the firewall, rocker, forward floor pans and trans crossmember points.

Front and rear torque boxes on this car tie heavily into the inner rocker, the rockers basically connect the front and rear portions of the "frame".

instead of having an iron frame loaded with suspension, axles, steering components etc with a body set on top of it, these cars have no "frame" they are a body that is reinforced on the bottom side with added provisions to support the suspension/steering components directly to the body.

That's why when you hear somebody with a camaro, a mustang, a road runner, a charger, cuda, challenger etc bragging about their "frame off restoration", you should wind up your leg, go on ahead and punt their little man berries straight up into their neck area, then punch em in the neck.

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow, to see how much cancer and ick is buried in what looked like an OK car to begin with...... makes me pretty afraid of any cars this old unless I have the bucks to do a proper restoration like you are dooing.

I am probably going to inherit my dads '66 Cadillac Coupe De Ville convertable when he passes someday. He might even sell it to me cheap before then as a way to make sure it goes where he wants it to. I hope that there is enough cash in my wallet when it happens to send the car straight to you do be re done, RIGHT.

Probably will want to upgrade the brakes, though, to disk brakes instead of the old drums all the way around.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bruinruin

TB's are basically structural anchor points within the unibody type construction. they will be located in critical connection areas for various reasons. Usually to do with load bearing connection points for suspension components. The rear TB's on this stang carry the front eyelets of the leaf springs. Which is kind of a big deal...

The front TB's on this car support the front frame rails, they help attach the frame rails to the body at the firewall, rocker, forward floor pans and trans crossmember points.

Front and rear torque boxes on this car tie heavily into the inner rocker, the rockers basically connect the front and rear portions of the "frame".

instead of having an iron frame loaded with suspension, axles, steering components etc with a body set on top of it, these cars have no "frame" they are a body that is reinforced on the bottom side with added provisions to support the suspension/steering components directly to the body.

That's why when you hear somebody with a camaro, a mustang, a road runner, a charger, cuda, challenger etc bragging about their "frame off restoration", you should wind up your leg, go on ahead and punt their little man berries straight up into their neck area, then punch em in the neck.

Thanks for the explanation and the chuckle, Dave.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dave, I worked on one of this vintage when I was up in Alberta.

That car was owned and run in "Road Salt Central", Ottowa, Ontario.

The damage was virtually IDENTICAL to what you picture, and as well, some bunyack had performed similar "repairs",...right down to and including the roofing tar.
Hell man, maybe the same shop ?

......anyway, suitably moused together and splash job painted, the car was sold to a VERY naive Albertan.

The insurmountable ( for me, anyway) problems that I hit with that job were what inspired me to inquire as to just where the hell one STARTS to measure / survey for aligning / re aligning. I dodged the bullet and told the owner that he needed somebody far more qualified in bodywork, just a dumb welder, etc.

I have confidence that you will get this thing done right, but you really have your work cut out for ya' on this one, no ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Cross, I'm expecting a 5 volume reprint of 1969 mustang shop manual today. I'm told that my answers to measurement and reference point questions are in that book, I'm hoping so anyways.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Dave, on the 69 my friend did last summer I helped him one night spread the shock towers back out to where the should be so the one piece shock tower brace and monte carlo bar would fit properly across the engine compartment. grin

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Does that dude know his bill just doubled?! Good lord! There isn't much of that car left!

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Dave should start with the VIN tag and work outward from there. grin

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Oh I feel so bad....

This, my friends is why unrestored cars are so very favorable for purchasing. Unrestored wearing original paint, they can only hide so much.

The seller sees what the buyer sees, and the playing field becomes quite level.

Sigh.....

RH side.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good Lord, Dave, I hope you're doing this one on a T+M basis.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Uffda...

How is the owner taking all this?

A pothole would have been catastrophic in that 'stang

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Dave, I worked on one of this vintage when I was up in Alberta.

That car was owned and run in "Road Salt Central", Ottowa, Ontario.

The damage was virtually IDENTICAL to what you picture, and as well, some bunyack had performed similar "repairs",...right down to and including the roofing tar.
Hell man, maybe the same shop ?

......anyway, suitably moused together and splash job painted, the car was sold to a VERY naive Albertan.

The insurmountable ( for me, anyway) problems that I hit with that job were what inspired me to inquire as to just where the hell one STARTS to measure / survey for aligning / re aligning. I dodged the bullet and told the owner that he needed somebody far more qualified in bodywork, just a dumb welder, etc.

I have confidence that you will get this thing done right, but you really have your work cut out for ya' on this one, no ?

GTC

Hell man, maybe the same car!

laugh

Last edited by Rooster7; 03/18/15.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Seriously though Dave. Ick. Looking forward to you fixing this but man you got your work cut out for you.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'll bet your stomach is in knots. I don't envy you. On the other hand we don't doubt for a second your ability to get the job done properly!
Good luck and thanks for taking us along for the ride!
Doug

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Dave, has a color been picked?

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by bcolorado
Uffda...

He's very good, very sensible man that wan't things done correctly.

Something clever here.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by bcolorado
Uffda...

He's very good, very sensible man that wan't things done correctly.

... and apparently has a lotta dough...

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Page 7 of 43 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 42 43

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (160user, 1badf350, 2500HD, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 264mag, 60 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,921
Posts18,498,465
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.