Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I got into a casual discussion around the fireplace last night and the subject of how many powders I was loading for the 20 or so rifles I and the family shoot on a semi-regular basis. So I went and counted. Basically it comes to 9 that get poured as I think I need to maintain a modest ammo supply. How many do you keep on hand for how many rifles? Maybe I could work new loads and consolidate but I can't always get what I want so I figure it pays to have some variety.

Why does a man who is 50 pounds overweight complain about a 10 pound rifle being too heavy?
SCI Life Member 4**
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have used a lot of different powders. The last few years you buy whatever you can get and find a way to use them. Some powders are basically duplicates. For instance for loading 12 gauge shells I will use any of 3 or 4 powders that I have used in the past. I'd happily just take whatever one I find first.

But there are 6 powders I look for and would buy more of if I saw them for sale.

Like you, I could get by with fewer if I needed to - but I like to have these 6 on hand.

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My goto rifle powders are RL-7, H-335, RL-15, Varget and H-4350. I haven't tried any of the newer powders but given availability, or rather lack thereof, I'm up for trying what I can get my hands on.

I'm not a fan of consolidation as I'm not about to sacrifice accuracy so I can get by with one or two less powders.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Old Doe Shooter,

Because of what I do for a living there are way too many different rifle powders in my loading room, well over 50 at last count. But this is also partly because I also have a wide variety of rifles.

Thirty years ago, before I got into writing about handloading, I did all my rifle loading with 3 powders: Unique for reduced loads, IMR4895 for general use, and H4831 for when a slow burner was needed. After a while I added IMR4350 for when H4831 was a little TOO slow, and everything went downhill from there.

If I had to absolutely pare down my list of powders yet keep most of my rifles, I'd ideally want Li'l Gun, IMR4895, TAC, Big Game, H4350, and Magnum. But since severla of those powders are getting hard to find anymore, I'm switching over to IMR4451 from H4350, and subbing IMR7977 for the slower burners like Magnum and Retumbo.

Haven't found a real all-around replacement for Li'l Gun yet, but am searching.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I suppose I should have posted my list
IMR 3031, 4350, 4831, 4895, 7828, Varget, RL 15, 19, 22. The way it looks I'm going to have to expand my list to CYA or cut down my shooting. It's hard to move away from what you know and like into the unknown, blow a bunch of money and end up frustrated.

Why does a man who is 50 pounds overweight complain about a 10 pound rifle being too heavy?
SCI Life Member 4**
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

Haven't found a real all-around replacement for Li'l Gun yet, but am searching. [/quote]

I do not think there is one. Close, but not the same.

Love the stuff.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd like to settle in on using fewer powders. I'm fairly new to CF loading,so I guess I'm still not settled on powders that do what I want to do in a particular caliber yet. I have loaded for SS for years.

I load for:
12 gauge
20 gauge
28 gauge
44 mag
9mm
30-30
30-06
338wm

Powders on shelf:
IMR 4895
IMR 4350
HS7
HS6
H110
Benchmark
Clays
Universal Clays
International Clays
Titewad
R19

"Any one who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian."
- Henry Ford
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by Gibby

Haven't found a real all-around replacement for Li'l Gun yet, but am searching.

I do not think there is one. Close, but not the same.

Love the stuff. [/quote]

H110, AA1680...300-MP.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Old_Doe_Shooter
I got into a casual discussion around the fireplace last night and the subject of how many powders I was loading for the 20 or so rifles I and the family shoot on a semi-regular basis. So I went and counted. Basically it comes to 9 that get poured as I think I need to maintain a modest ammo supply. How many do you keep on hand for how many rifles? Maybe I could work new loads and consolidate but I can't always get what I want so I figure it pays to have some variety.

D_S....keep all the powder you have now and get your hands on all the new lots of what you currently have as well as any other powder you can get. It's not getting any easier to find it these days, and....when/if you deplete your current supply... Just work up new loads with your newly acquired supply; One can never have too much reloading supplies on-hand.
However, should you feel the need to rid yourself of some of your excess supply, by all means ship it to me-I'll pay shipping fees, and take all you wish to send.
WILL

DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF:......IT'S ALL SMALL STUFF!
D@MN; I miss my meds.
THE WINDS OF TYRANNY HAVE SHIFTED. BETTER TIMES AHEAD.
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Will,
I believe we are thinking along the same lines so don't hold your breath on getting and "leftovers" ....:-) But I do appreciate the neighborly offer.
I have a few dribs and drabs of other powders but rarely use anything but the ones I listed. I want to try the new IMRs but as we all know it's more a matter of "what can I get not what I want" these days.
ODS

SCI Life Member 4**
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I must have 30+ or more powders, but most are in 1 lb. cans and are in various stages of emptiness. One HAS to try a LOT of powders to see what works best, at least he has to if he wants the very best accuracy. When you find what works best is the time to order the bigger cans of that powder. Thus, I think most of us wind up with numerous powder cans at varying stages of partially being filled, and larger kegs of the powders we actually use. Having numerous small lots of powders is an asset for those of us rifle loonies who like to trade a lot, too. We all would like to minimize our "stuff," but reloading, where we HAVE to try different powders in differing guns, isn't a place to compromise, IMHO. Over time, too, it gradually builds up a stock of various stuff to try that didn't work out at top levels the last tiem.

However, those who are OK with less than top level accuracy, "hunting accuracy" it's often called, can definitely pare down their stash. Very few are lucky enough to have the same powders work in very many guns across the board. FWIW?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I gotta a bunch of different powder, accumulated over the years.

When I'm researching a load, I feel deprived if I don't have the powder being pushed as THE perfect powder for that round.

In this era of shortages, many of us have had to rethink "favorite" combos and research available stuff. But, Loonies like doing that, anyway...

DF

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Yea, if my house ever caught fire... there is one area you need to get away from FAST.

It's where my wife keeps all her hair products! Ha.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D_S.. Last I checked(a few days ago), MIDSOUTH SHOOTERS had the new IMRs in stock; some in 1# and some in the larger jugs. I ordered some of the standard powders I've always used and feel comfortable with in my current loads. Picked up a few thou primers while I was at it, too. Give them a call, or check out their site.

WILL

DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF:......IT'S ALL SMALL STUFF!
D@MN; I miss my meds.
THE WINDS OF TYRANNY HAVE SHIFTED. BETTER TIMES AHEAD.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I am another one who has a lot of containers that are partially filled, along with more substantial amounts of my standards. I always want to hang onto a little of each powder that I try as a sort of "museum" item for when the supplier decides to quit making it available.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I keep trying to pare it down, consolidation looks simpler these days. But with the latest powder shortages, that had to go out the window. Now I've got a whole bunch of different powders that I've never used before.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
ODS,

I have my regulars and a bunch of test powders. The regulars are H1000, R-22, H4831SC, IMR4350, Big Game, R-15, Benchmark, True Blue & Zip. I'd really like to try some Trail Boss.

I watch online and grab a jug when the opportunity presents itself. Last one was a big backorder that took 18 months to fill.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Due to shortages, I'm down to four - H4831SC, H4350, Varget and Lil Gun.
New stuff is great but why chase some minimal benefit when something continues to work over many decades. Plus 8# kegs help diminish the endless searching.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Too much powder or too many types, is like being worried about having too many bullets or too many types of bullets...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Old_Doe_Shooter

I load for a lot of different cartridges, but to be honest I've narrowed my powders down a bit. Here's how I roll now:

1. H4350
2. RL15
3. H335

A good ol standby powder has and always will be IMR 4350 since it seems to be easier to find than most powders around here...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 74 invisible), 2,078 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,894
Posts18,479,213
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.