Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,482 of 1,842 1 2 1480 1481 1482 1483 1484 1841 1842
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Deck bearings, good blades, belt tension spring, clean the carb, change oil, air the tires, check deck level, battery..... That's about it.

Something clever here.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How does one replace deck bearings? Do I have to drop the deck and pull it out from under the mower to work on it? (Guessing I do)

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I would reach under (when not running) and grab the blades, jerk em around and feel for play in the shafts.

They are likely aluminum spindle housings. The bearings are likely inexpensive sealed roller bearings, maybe a couple dollars each, very common size. The housing may or may not have grease fittings.

I like to take these apart, remove from deck (yes the deck has to come out from under the mower). take the nut off the top of the pulley on each housing and the spindle should drop through. Then you can take the bearings out if you wish.

I like to take the bearings out, replace if bad. Either way, before putting the bearings back in I will use a pocket knife or small screw driver and pop the seal off of one side of the sealed bearing, now you can pack it with grease. The seal you remove, dont put it back on, toss it. install the bearings in the housing with the open side of the bearing facing in, have the sealed side of the bearing facing out. If the housing doesn't have grease fitting, drill a hole in the side of the housing and install a grease fitting. You can drill and tap if you like or drill and just spin in a zerk or use the press in style, I like the threaded ones.

Try to put it in a handy spot where you will be able to access it when mower is reassembled.

That's what I used to do with our mower decks to give them a better shot at surviving.

Probably overkill.

Something clever here.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Here in bright sunny Navarre Beach,Florida for a few days visiting with our daughter from Houston,Texas,her husband and our lovely 15 year old grand daughter.
Lovely condo on the beach,13th. Floor.great view.
I fell asleep sitting in the sun at the pool yesterday.having a great time.
Oops! Time to go to the hot tub.have a great day.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ND nailed it. If you want an easier but not as good of a result, buy a grease needle for your gun and pump a little grease through the seal. It works well but not as good as a replacement.
$0.02

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks guys. I'm off work today and should have time to putz with this. 'Just couldn't bring my self to spend big bucks on a better mower. When push comes to shove, I end up buying most of my stuff used. We're in this house for about 5-10 more years. Hoping if I baby this mower, it's the last one I have to buy.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Just don't let the kids use it, then you'll be fine. grin

Camp is where you make it.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Hope everybody is doing well. Early March was up at the Angle. We did okay slowest year for us, but still did better then most. Then i went to Devils lake. Tough fishing, perch were hard to find. Walleye bite was decent.I was out there when it was super warm we knew the bite on Devils was tough this year. We were hoping the warm weather might get the fish going. Overall from what i heard all over the state was a tough winter for fishing. Except for RED.

Know just waiting for Ice off at the house.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
No fishing here. The ice is pulling back from the shore in some spots. I'd love to get out tomorrow and bust off a few rounds of ammo and ride some logging roads on the wheeler though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I took the kids out yesterday after some trout, not a bite but we had fun. temps were in the 70's and there were people swimming on the beach 100 yards away smile no thanks, the ice left the lake 2 weeks ago, lol. I bet that water was COLD regardless of what the air temp was.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I pulled my house off the lake (Lake of the Woods) today. Still about 4' of ice but I'm getting busy at home now so it was time.

Slow year up there. A person really had to work at it to get a limit.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I posted this over on the fishing forum, but I know lots of the Minnesota boys hang out here. Does anyone fish Lake Osakis? We're thinking about trying it for opener.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
GG, I have never fished it put have buddies that do.I know they have talked about a good crappie population I'll ask them about the eyes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks NoDuck!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I hope I get the boat finished in time for da opener!! new water pump/impeller this week I hope.

I'll be putting a new bow mount trolling motor, rod holders, and a bow locator. maybe if I get real ambitious I'll put some interior LED lighting.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Was out fishing yesterday, still lots of "blue" ice. Right down to the powerhead, with the extension on/in !!!

2 of us caught 6 nice walleyes & a ling.

Fresh feesh for supper tonight !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I took the boy up north to the deer camp to get rid of some spring fever. We went up to ride some logging roads on the wheeler and go scouting in the new spot. The problem was that Tom forgot about the state shutting the gate until the frost comes out. eek

so we had a minimal amount of riding/scouting. We did go on a bit of an adventure and found a cabin in the middle of the woods. I'm not 100% it's supposed to be there...but it is. They're damn good at building too. I have no idea how the materials got to where the cabin was built, but it's cool cabin. About 1/2 mile off the road and under a heavy spruce planting from about 30 years ago.

We also shot the hell out some guns. Jack fired 40-50 rounds down the barrel of his new Ruger American Compact .223. He's in love with it, and actually, so am I. What a blast that gun is to shoot. We also blew about $60 in .410 shells. grin We meaning Jack. laugh And about 1/2 a brick of 22lr's. He wore us both out! What much needed day in the woods though. and I got to spend time with my best buddy.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tzone
I took the boy up north to the deer camp to get rid of some spring fever. We went up to ride some logging roads on the wheeler and go scouting in the new spot. The problem was that Tom forgot about the state shutting the gate until the frost comes out. eek

so we had a minimal amount of riding/scouting. We did go on a bit of an adventure and found a cabin in the middle of the woods. I'm not 100% it's supposed to be there...but it is. They're damn good at building too. I have no idea how the materials got to where the cabin was built, but it's cool cabin. About 1/2 mile off the road and under a heavy spruce planting from about 30 years ago.

We also shot the hell out some guns. Jack fired 40-50 rounds down the barrel of his new Ruger American Compact .223. He's in love with it, and actually, so am I. What a blast that gun is to shoot. We also blew about $60 in .410 shells. grin We meaning Jack. laugh And about 1/2 a brick of 22lr's. He wore us both out! What much needed day in the woods though. and I got to spend time with my best buddy.

Awesome!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It was awesome. Never skip a chance to spend time with da kiddos.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
good on you Tom, they will remember it when they get older. I try to do the same.

I'm glad I don't need to worry about opener anymore. we fish year round here

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Page 1,482 of 1,842 1 2 1480 1481 1482 1483 1484 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

232 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 260Remguy, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 30 invisible), 2,177 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,115
Posts18,483,452
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.