Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 28 29
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by agazain
Atheism is a belief based on positing nothing of deity/"god"exists that is not observable. As a faith system, it is a "religion" in the way black is a color -- complete absence of light.

Jesus likened God's working to how wind is observed. You can see it working but not what it is.

Oh science can explain wind. Religion was developed as a way to answer questions in the absence of science. Guess what, wind has mass.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cooper57m
>>As an Atheist, you have to believe that ALL of them are wrong.

FWIW... Spellcheck capitalizes Atheist just as it does Christian, Jew, etc.<<

No, as an atheist I think that all of them are wrong because there is no evidence that any of them are right. Since there is no dogma associated with atheism, there is no "have to". It's just free thought. You either believe in a god(s), or you don't, and if you don't you are an atheist. The term atheist does not require one to not believe, it's the not believing makes one an atheist.

You sound like an agnostic, not an atheist.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
There is no evidence that there is a god. One does not need faith to understand that.
That's simply illogical. Those with faith have already been satisfied with the evidence for God. You just don't accept the evidence others have. So, yes, there is no evidence of god for you, but you don't represent a majority, but a quite small minority.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by RickyD
There is no evidence that there is a god. One does not need faith to understand that.
That's simply illogical. Those with faith have already been satisfied with the evidence for God. You just don't accept the evidence others have. So, yes, there is no evidence of god for you, but you don't represent a majority, but a quite small minority.

Amen! I've never seen a more faithful group than Jihadists.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by curdog4570

You sound like an agnostic, not an atheist.

Agnostic doesn't care or is unsure while an Atheist believes there is no god. I'm sure there is no magical supreme being.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by RickyD
you don't represent a majority, but a quite small minority.

What does a majority or minority have to do with anything?

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Amen again. My god can whip your god.

Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

When in the Course of human events......
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Ok, there is Faith (as in meaning faith in religion) and faith (as in belief in anything without proof or evidence). It was in response the idea that atheists have faith. Atheists don't have faith in god.

"Agnosticism addresses knowledge; atheism addresses belief. The agnostic says, “I don't have a knowledge that God exists.” The atheist says, “I don't have a belief that God exists.” You can say both things at the same time."

I have neither knowledge or belief that god exists.

Faith definition per Merriam-Webster

a : allegiance to duty or a person : loyalty
b (1) : fidelity to one's promises (2) : sincerity of intentions
a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion
b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust

Last edited by cooper57m; 03/24/15.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Im still waiting for wrong man to cite the Supreme Court case that states atheism is a religion....

If there is such a case, then I guess Im a religious man.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by cooper57m
I understand faith. It is a belief not based on anything certain. Faith is a promise. I have faith that I will wake up tomorrow, but I know that tomorrow is not guaranteed to any of us. Faith is confidence and trust, but faith can be misplaced. You can have faith that a plane won't crash when you step onto one (or else why would you do it) but we also know that sometimes they crash. That particular faith is based on an expectation gleaned from past experience, that most planes don't crash. Faith, by definition, is not certain.
Religious faith is not based on past experiences, it is based on stories told to us. Some native americans believed the earth was created by a turtle, some people believe in reincarnation, some believe god spoke thru a burning bush, some believe there is one god and some have faith there are many gods. These beliefs are all based on stories told us, with no facts to back them up. Are they all correct? Why are you so sure the stories told you are more correct then a Hindu's, or a Muslim's or a Jew? They all have faith. If you believe that other religions can have it wrong, why is it so hard for some of you to understand that some of us think that all religions can have it wrong? There's no more evidence for one over another - is there?

This is nicely written and based on what seems to be sincere thought - but it is weak on more than one level and does not show that you actually do understand faith. Although faith does not base itself on established proof, it IS NOT in any way a promise. The only active agent in a faith relationship is the person who holds faith. It is not at all true that all religious faith is based on "stories told to us" or that all religious systems require some abstract belief/faith. Those statements are stretched - at best - maybe conveniently stretched in order to support your notes that ensue. In this post and later, it seems that you equate "belief" with "faith". As activated within an individual, are those really equal and the same? I think not. Do you? A piece written and read long ago - "The Dynamics of Faith", by Paul Tillich - seemed very helpful.
Not needing Merriam-Webster thoughts here - waiting for yours.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Im still waiting for wrong man to cite the Supreme Court case that states atheism is a religion....

If there is such a case, then I guess Im a religious man.

Somebody cited it on a thread not long ago. But... the guy who made the claim to you should provide it again.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
IMHO, his use of Merriam -Webster to assist his thought process is no different than Bible verses being utilized (sometimes our of context) with no supporting thoughts/facts to back up a similar argument.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've expressed myself about as well as I can. Atheism is not a religion. Religions are based on a belief in a god or some other supernatural. Atheism is the opposite of religion. My personal belief is that some religious tenants have merit, but one doesn't need a belief in god to live a moral and worthwhile life. I believe religion in general is a concept developed by man to explain what he could not understand in a pre-science world and to control and make more predictable human behavior. I think it is illogical to believe in something in the total absence of proof. For those who say they have proof of god, well if that was the case there would be no need for faith. I would love to hear all about that proof though. Give it a try CCCC.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by NH K9
IMHO, his use of Merriam -Webster to assist his thought process is no different than Bible verses being utilized (sometimes our of context) with no supporting thoughts/facts to back up a similar argument.

George

Well, to have a meaningful discussion we have to have some accepted definition of terms used. Without it, we are just urinating in the wind. It can get kinda messy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
so much stupidity and ignorance in the world....carry on

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If a person wants to call Atheism a religion, hey, knock yourself out..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If a person wants to call Atheism a religion, hey, knock yourself out..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by eh76
so much stupidity and ignorance in the world....carry on

You're right, but that's a bit of a non-sequitur.

T
TF49 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/20...rt-declares-secular-humanism-a-religion/

"A federal district court in Oregon has declared Secular Humanism a religion, paving the way for the non-theistic community to obtain the same legal rights as groups such as Christianity.
On Thursday, October 30, Senior District Judge Ancer Haggerty issued a ruling on American Humanist Association v. United States, a case that was brought by the American Humanist Association (AHA) and Jason Holden, a federal prisoner. Holden pushed for the lawsuit because he wanted Humanism — which the AHA defines as “an ethical and life-affirming philosophy free of belief in any gods and other supernatural forces” — recognized as a religion so that his prison would allow for the creation of a Humanist study group."

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Some court calling a pig a dog, don't make it a dog for anything but for legal purposes. Since when is the law always right?

It's been a fun discussion. Thanks all. Tho still waiting for the proof of a god from CCCC or whomever.

Page 4 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 28 29

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (21, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 1moredeer, 12344mag, 160user, 51 invisible), 12,224 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,833
Posts18,537,092
Members74,047
Most Online13,949
9 seconds ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.