Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 29 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 28 29
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
"As an example, YOU are an Atheist toward every God except the Christian God."

Not exactly. You can't simultaneously be an atheist and NOT be one too. It's not a matter of choice, but a matter of total disbelief.

As far as God showing up and the atheists no longer being so, accepting that proof indicates a lack of atheistic belief in my mind - an openness to there being a god, as long as it is shown in a manner of proof that is agreeable.

GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by baxterb

Not exactly. You can't simultaneously be an atheist and NOT be one too. It's not a matter of choice, but a matter of total disbelief.

As far as God showing up and the atheists no longer being so, accepting that proof indicates a lack of atheistic belief in my mind - an openness to there being a god, as long as it is shown in a manner of proof that is agreeable.

No it's not. Atheism is just a belief that a specific definition of a god or gods has not met it's burden of proof. It's like "not guilty". You are not saying the guy didn't do it, just that the prosecution hasn't met their burden of proof. Since Atheism is a response to a logical proposition, you position can change as the evidence changes.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
One thing about being an atheist -- ya better hope you're right.

Hah! That's hilarious!

What are you going to do? Hedge your bets and follow every religion that turns up? Gonna be a Jew / Muslim / Christian / Buddhist / Taoist / Mormon / Pagan......? Sounds exhausting.

Better hope you don't miss the right one!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Ringman
cooper57m,

If there were irrefutable proof of God (say he/she appears to all of us), there would be no more Atheists. Maybe we would all become instant followers of Buddah. We are still atheists now though as beliefs can and should change with proof. If the Buddah appeared before us all, would there still be Christians? I never got the atheist code book. Dang!

Buddah died and stayed dead. Jesus died and then was later seen alive by as many as 500 people. Major difference.

Sure and all the graves opened and the saints walked around. Of course that only show up in one of the Gospels, and I see no reason to believe that either.

I'm guessing you've heard that Jesus was the only religious leader to enable people to believe that he came back from the dead.

Huge difference with other religions in that only Jesus got anyone to believe he came back from the dead.

TF

Once again you are wrong. Jesus is just the latest of the Rising and Dying Gods that include Baal, Melqart, Adonis, Eshmun, Tammuz, Ra, Osiris, Dionysus, Inanna/Ishtar, Persephone, and Bari among others.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

T
TF49 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T

No it's not. Atheism is just a belief that a specific definition of a god or gods has not met it's burden of proof. It's like "not guilty". You are not saying the guy didn't do it, just that the prosecution hasn't met their burden of proof. Since Atheism is a response to a logical proposition, you position can change as the evidence changes.

I don't see how atheism is a response to a logical proposition.

It seems to me that the atheist's proposition is "there is no God" and the burden of proof is on the author of the proposition.

How in the world would one "know" there is no God? How can you prove that?

Think about it for a moment. This is what the atheist says: There is no God. Yet, the atheist cannot prove that at all. It is the atheist that fails in this burden of proof.

TF

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Atheism is NOT a religion. It is just a person that doesn't care or give a rats ass to what a bunch of feel goods think is important. I don't listen,read,discuss,or waste my time on religion except as long as it took to peck this out,,,fini

I tend to use more than enough gun
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
One thing about being an atheist -- ya better hope you're right.

Hah! That's hilarious!

What are you going to do? Hedge your bets and follow every religion that turns up? Gonna be a Jew / Muslim / Christian / Buddhist / Taoist / Mormon / Pagan......? Sounds exhausting.

Better hope you don't miss the right one!

[video:youtube]http://southpark.cc.com/clips/152270/abandon-all-hope[/video]

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Dear lord.

TF- do you believe in the Easter Bunny? Tooth Fairy? Can you deliver proof they do not, and never did, exist?

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by TF49

I don't see how atheism is a response to a logical proposition.

It seems to me that the atheist's proposition is "there is no God" and the burden of proof is on the author of the proposition.

How in the world would one "know" there is no God? How can you prove that?

Think about it for a moment. This is what the atheist says: There is no God. Yet, the atheist cannot prove that at all. It is the atheist that fails in this burden of proof.

TF

Once again, you are just wrong.

"There is not God" is not Atheism, that's Anti-Theism. A true anti-theist position it typically directed toward a specific definition of a god or gods, because without of good definition of what you are disputing, it's probably impossible to prove it does not exist.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Atheism is not a religion.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cooper57m
I've expressed myself about as well as I can. Atheism is not a religion. Religions are based on a belief in a god or some other supernatural. Atheism is the opposite of religion. My personal belief is that some religious tenants have merit, but one doesn't need a belief in god to live a moral and worthwhile life. I believe religion in general is a concept developed by man to explain what he could not understand in a pre-science world and to control and make more predictable human behavior. I think it is illogical to believe in something in the total absence of proof. For those who say they have proof of god, well if that was the case there would be no need for faith. I would love to hear all about that proof though. Give it a try CCCC.
Clearly, a lot of this thread is muddling around and much of that is because some folks refuse to apply directness and logic (and ownership) to their utterances, which prevents aspects of it from being a serious discussion. cooper57m, it is easy to seek and quote dictionary terms. It is quite something else to take responsibility for that which you write and defend it logically. You may be doing your best, but you failed here.

Your mis-statements, inconsistencies and stretches were clearly cited in my previous post. You refuse to revisit those and defend. Instead, you attempt shallow and decepetive deflection by pretending that I stated the existence of God and somehow inferred that I have and offer such proof. I did no such thing. Intellectual dishonesty smells poorly.
As a personal aside - not addressing Atheism here - I believe that those who cannot muster faith about certain things are missing some genuine and supreme beauty in life.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sure and all the graves opened and the saints walked around. Of course that only show up in one of the Gospels, and I see no reason to believe that either.

You also see no reason to believe in science. You call philosophy science and try to cram it down everyone's' throat.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

You also see no reason to believe in science. You call philosophy science and try to cram it down everyone's' throat.

Up until the 18th century, "Natural Philosophy" was considered a branch of philosophy, i.e. the love of Knowledge, but since then it's been separated out into it's own category. Now science is considered a method of perusing knowledge, and well as the knowledge itself. Of course as a presuppositionalist you have no real interest in Knowledge.

As for what I belive regarding science, I have no obligation to believe all of science as a monolithic dogma, like you do with the Christian Religion. As a rational thinker I'm free to follow the evidence. As an example, the evidence for the existence of Dark Matter is pretty good, even if we don't know exactly what it is, however the evidence for String Theory is much weaker, and in my evaluation, does not qualify as a Theory at this time, and I do not believe it has met it's burden of proof at this time.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 03/24/15.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
antelope_sniper,

Of course as a presuppositionalist you have no real interest in Knowledge.

Is that why I know about novas and fossils?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
antelope_sniper,

Of course as a presuppositionalist you have no real interest in Knowledge.

Is that why I know about novas and fossils?

The truth of the matter is all you've do is read some creationist tripe on the subject, and as a result, you know nothing regarding either subject.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

No, believing in something despite irrefutable proof to the contrary is a trait of religion. Atheists deal in proof,or the lack of it. If irrefutable proof were presented, a real atheist would have to believe that proof and the conclusions that derive. I would expect other religions would have issue if the proof showed them to be wrong. You have got it backwards.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by CCCC
I've expressed myself about as well as I can. Atheism is not a religion. Religions are based on a belief in a god or some other supernatural. Atheism is the opposite of religion. My personal belief is that some religious tenants have merit, but one doesn't need a belief in god to live a moral and worthwhile life. I believe religion in general is a concept developed by man to explain what he could not understand in a pre-science world and to control and make more predictable human behavior. I think it is illogical to believe in something in the total absence of proof. For those who say they have proof of god, well if that was the case there would be no need for faith. I would love to hear all about that proof though. Give it a try CCCC.
Clearly, a lot of this thread is muddling around and much of that is because some folks refuse to apply directness and logic (and ownership) to their utterances, which prevents aspects of it from being a serious discussion. cooper57m, it is easy to seek and quote dictionary terms. It is quite something else to take responsibility for that which you write and defend it logically. You may be doing your best, but you failed here.

Your mis-statements, inconsistencies and stretches were clearly cited in my previous post. You refuse to revisit those and defend. Instead, you attempt shallow and decepetive deflection by pretending that I stated the existence of God and somehow inferred that I have and offer such proof. I did no such thing. Intellectual dishonesty smells poorly.
As a personal aside - not addressing Atheism here - I believe that those who cannot muster faith about certain things are missing some genuine and supreme beauty in life.

CCCC, please defend your belief that those who cannot muster faith are missing some genuine and supreme beauty in life. What specifically do you assume we are missing? Please expand and explain your vague and poorly developed statement. What's the basis of your beliefs; Evidence? Personal observation? Or is it just a "feeling". I don't need to revisit any previous post. I don't need to do anything I don't feel the need to do for you or anyone else. Just as you don't have to provide to me/us the irrefutable proof of an existence of any god. Pick one any one. All I need to do for the purposes of this discussion is to honestly present my view/thoughts on atheism to the best of my ability. I have done that. I see no proof of god, therefore I am an atheist. It's really no more complicated than that. If you have proof, again, please provide it.

However, for fun, I'll take on one of your statements presented as fact to which I disagree.

Your statement: "The only active agent in a faith relationship is the person who holds faith." is incorrect. The holder of the faith is an inactive agent. Like a lock-box, a person has to be instilled with faith and then asked to just hold and keep the faith. The active agents in faith are the ones who feel it is their job to instill faith: the preacher, the rabbi, the priest, the parent etc. The holder of the faith is asked not to be active; not to question that faith. No one is born with a knowledge of religion, religious faith, or the concept of god. It has to be actively taught to them, through stories. Take the 10 commandments, the first commandment is a command to have faith in THE god. A command is active. Writing down commandments and the stories of the bible,or koran are active attempts to instill faith. Preachers use all forms of manipulation such as guilt, promise of eternal life, threats of condemnation, threats of death etc to ensure that people keep and hold onto their faith and to keep coming and filling the plate with $.

Last edited by cooper57m; 03/25/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"As for what I belive regarding science, I have no obligation to believe all of science as a monolithic dogma, like you do with the Christian Religion"....

One need not believe any monolithic dogma to be a Christian. Christianity is a relationship, not a religion.

I don't know anything about Ringman's relationship with Jesus, but I suspect he has one.

His fixation on the literal truth of biblical words is easy for non-believers to combat, so THAT'S what you zero in on.

A Christian need believe only ONE thing........... that a Risen Jesus offers all humans a path into a Spiritual Dimension while still being alive. Once inside that Spiritual Dimension, all sorts of good things are made available to us IN THIS EARTHLY LIFE.

If the Creator prized intelligence, He would have made it easier for really smart people to believe in Him, and hard for the less gifted in the area of the I.Q.

A just God would make Himself available to ALL on an equal basis, and THAT'S wat we find in the Christian God.

To level the playing field for everybody, His only requirement is a complete abandonment of the human SELF. THAT goes against our very nature,i.e. .... it ain't easy.

Pride of intellect, the most basic manifestation of SELF, is the only barrier to that Spiritual Dimension.[one example of "to whom much is given, much will be required"]

Once that pride is surrendered, and contact with the Almighty is made, the intelligence is transformed into WISDOM.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Atheists don't care about their fellow man, is that really what you are saying???
Yes.
Any atheist who really examined that emotion would conclude that it is without basis and is a useless emotion.

Atheists who feel that emotion and don't outright reject it are unknowingly answering a call from God to move beyond themselves.

Can you explain to me why an atheist would care about anyone beyond their own peer group? Animals have a biological need to survive and have surviving offspring. How/why would an atheist go beyond that? I mean, it would be useless.

And while your at that, tell me about the 500 year old atheist university and the atheist hospital system and all the atheist orphanages.

The reason people who believe in God don't want to die too soon is because only life offers the ability to change and, hopefully, get better. Once you die, you are frozen at what ever level of spiritual maturity you were at when you died. If you die in unrepentant sin, that's where you are frozen.

So, an atheist can justify abortion as simply the return to nothingness. But a Christian understands that a great injustice has been done, possibly condemning the aborted to a stunted eternity. We can only pray that God has other means for them.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
TFF

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 6 of 29 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 28 29

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

467 members (280Ackleyrized, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 3040Krag, 49 invisible), 1,689 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,047
Posts18,521,183
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.