-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anybody try Sellier&Bellot 175's in their 7X57? It is a stepped bullet for whatever reason?

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have had good luck with Factory Lapua 170 grn when I can find it. very accurate load.

Last edited by Billc; 03/26/15.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Bought my 1st 7x57 in 69 and learned to load and shoot with it for ctr fires. It is a 93 with the long throat for the 175's but it has allways handled 139 gr Hornady SP and 140 NPT's just fine. When I got a chance at a new 7x57 in the box M77R from the 1st run of these I jumped on it($160) it also has the long SAAMI spec throat It shoots the same bullets as well. Somewhere along the way I discovered that the recently discontinued 154 gr RN Hornady shoots really well in these chambers. Always used IMR 4350 for the loads with some 4320 also. Never felt inadequately armed when carrying either for the hunting I do. Recently I quit buying gun Mags, occasionally I buy a Rifle or a Handloader because of an article I want to read or keep for reference. I think I'll find a copy of the mentioned Guns and get it. Thanks JB for ratcheting up the interest. Magnum Man

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
bea175,

I used H4350 on the moose.

That particular rifle is the Kilimanjaro custom listed in the table of handloads. It shoots any bullet from 156-162 grains to the same point of impact at 100 yards with 46.0 grains H4350, so I have used it considerably as a "bullet test" rifle. I sight-in (and do most hunting of deer-sized game) with the 160 Sierra GameKing, then switch to other loads for larger game. (The Sierras would work fine on animals larger than deer, I am sure, because I've never recovered one from a deer, pig, antelope, sheep, etc., but a gun writer has to keep testing stuff.)

In 2007 I went to South Africa for a month on a big cull hunt, and one of the two rifles taken was the Kilimanjaro 7x57, with four loads using 46.0 H4350 and the 160 GameKing, 156 Norma Oryx, 160 TSX and 160 North Fork. Got to "field test" them all, but the Norma and North Fork are the most accurate in that rifle, averaging well under an inch.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the reply John

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by moosemike
Is there any decent 7X57 factory ammo?
Probably - but someone more knowledgeable than me will have to say. I reload, so until recently I had bought no commercial 7x57 for over 50 years - since the original Winchester 175 gr. round nose stuff from the 60s. But, those did kill deer and elk.

I have seen both Federal and PMC 7X57 loaded at about 139/140 gr. (which BW I feel is about optimum for this cartridge). No doubt a web search will ID other commercial brands.

BUT - recently found an odd box of loads at a gun show - 116 gr. cone point bullet, is labeled SINOXID and was made by Dynamit Nobel in Germany. This stuff shoots fabulously in my old 7X57. I contacted the company on the net - they had none of that same load currently for sale - but one of their "engineers" was very nice and eventually sent me their load data - although I can't match the powder and don't know where to find that bullet over here. I am going to try.

Paul, I was out in the hidey hole yesterday, there is five boxes of factory 7x57 ammo, all 172(?) grain bullets. Made under the montgomery wards label, one box from south america, and a box of 170/180 projectiles made by knoch labed dangerous game. They are pulled bullets. i think i have some bullets some place that are wierd looking, your coin point remark, comes to mind.
I like shooting the heavy bullets at distance, and listening for the delayed "thunk" when they hit something. My personal belief unsupported by anything is around 140grains is probably ideal. I know the single shot riedl i have does not like light bullets, or remington brass.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 03/26/15.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by moosemike
Anybody try Sellier&Bellot 175's in their 7X57?

It was one of the few factory loads that shot well from my 700 MR. On hogs at 15 feet, it was an excellent performer. I never did get to try that load on anything else, but I was confident enough in it that I carried it for an elk hunt. I had the crosshairs on a very nice 5x5, but since I was in BC, I couldn't pull the trigger. frown

My buddy used the 173 S&B's in an identical rifle to take a 10 point whitetail with no drama. I doubt they're going fast enough to come apart unexpectedly.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Billc
I have had good luck with Factory Lapua 170 grn when I can find it. very accurate load.

I too love the Lapua! It is a shame we can not buy them over here. If someone would import them, they would sell a ton. If anyone has any 7x57 Lapua brass they will sell, please PM me your price.

Richard

NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H3900 wink

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I've looked at the European offerings by RWS and Norma. Both show few factory offerings, especially as compared to 7x64 offerings. Is the 7x57 losing popularity overseas as well? It certainly looks like it. Why? Beats me. Maybe "old and efficient" is out of style.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Rev,you should start loading your own. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Elk: you are absolutely right. I'm just trying to figure out why.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Easy,shoot more.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
True; but at less than $16 per box of what I shoot.....

Now, if we're talking about tailor-making loads for various applications, well, that's a different story. For instance, a 150 gr partition for your upcoming African adventure....

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RevMike
Elk: you are absolutely right. I'm just trying to figure out why.

You working at being a Loony...

Right?

You gotta reload if for no other reason than to have balistic gack to gack about here on the Fire...

Plus it's fun and you can create unique loads that your rifle will really love. Factory fodder generally hits the middle, hand loads can search the edges where real performance lives. And, how else are you going to have fire belching, Fire pressure loads...?

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
My upcoming Safari involves a lioness and for her it's a 300 gr Sierra .375 H&H.

For the Blesbok and Wildebeest it's either a 260 gr NP or 300 gr Sierra .375 H&H.

wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
You guys are zero help! I'm gonna die in abject poverty!!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
See there, Rev.

Now you gotta find a .375 H&H.

The 7x57 is a round that really benefits from reloading, as commercial ammo has to be suitable for older actions. With that M-70, you can turn up the heat, maybe not to Dennis Hall levels, but up nonetheless...

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
In my Featherweight 7x57,with a 160 gr Sierra GK it's 2710 fps from a 22" barrel. It loves that bullet and load.

Can't get that from a factory load. smile

Won't mention what the CZ 550 7x57 gets.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by RevMike
You guys are zero help! I'm gonna die in abject poverty!!
Welcome to handloading. grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (808outdoors, 7mm_Loco, AKislander, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 14 invisible), 1,410 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,491
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.