Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 29 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 28 29
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by thin_man
But somehow he can write on a wall. Go figure?

That would be Puerto Ricans, I think.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by thirdbite
so that's two thousand of our days?

I said nothing about our days.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Man needs faith in order to be saved. It takes the force of faith to recreate the human heart.God could prove himself beyond any doubt and rob everyone of faith, thus condemning the human race.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
so that's two thousand of our days?

I said nothing about our days.

I thought you said scripture says one day is like a thousand days unto the Lord and vice versa. Can you please explain the two day(?)statement and calculation? I really don't understand

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Try reading it for yourself and make up your own mind. If you can't find it in The Book, google will get you to it.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
thirdbite if and as Scripture says that one day is like 1000 unto the L*rd and a 1000 days is like a single one unto the L*rd then J*sus has been gone close to 2 days, maybe.

Just for reference only as to time frames. ymmv, though.

Are Lord and Jesus now words that get bleeped?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Serious question for you sir.

Why do you think god performed miracles for the masses when he was on earth? They had no faith and therefore aren't saved? Do you feel we (the human race) are condemned because of it?

Why does he selectively prove himself in the bible but clearly declares to NOT test him in other books of the bible? Thank you.

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Sauer200
thirdbite if and as Scripture says that one day is like 1000 unto the L*rd and a 1000 days is like a single one unto the L*rd then J*sus has been gone close to 2 days, maybe.

Apologies if that bothers you. Don't get too hung up on semantics and you'll have a more harmonious outcome.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Apologies if that bothers you. Don't get too hung up on semantics and you'll have a more harmonious outcome.

I just wanted to know why those words were edited.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Why do you think god performed miracles for the masses when he was on earth? They had no faith and therefore aren't saved? Do you feel we (the human race) are condemned because of it?

Why does he selectively prove himself in the bible but clearly declares to NOT test him in other books of the bible? Thank you.

Because it is His call to do so not ours to command and challenge him to do. You're welcome.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I just wanted to know why those words were edited.

Kinda like the Muslims don't like images of Allah..

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Try reading it for yourself and make up your own mind. If you can't find it in The Book, google will get you to it.

I read what you wrote. I interpret it as one earth day is the same as a thousand of the Lord's days. You apparently interpret it differently. That's why I asked what it means. Could you please explain to me how Jesus has been gone 2 days, maybe.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I read what you wrote. I interpret it as one earth day is the same as a thousand of the Lord's days. You apparently interpret it differently. That's why I asked what it means. Could you please explain to me how Jesus has been gone 2 days, maybe.

In bold and underlined for you.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

Apparently the actual reference is one day is like a thousand years. I would think one shouldn't make up their own mind about things like this - it either says it or doesn't and it either means what it says or doesn't. Shouldn't need a key to the code to decipher it. You still haven't explained how long it's been since humans lived 900 years and could reproduce for 500 years.

Last edited by thirdbite; 03/26/15.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Apparently the actual reference is one day is like a thousand years. I would think one shouldn't make up their own mind about things like this - it either says it or doesn't and it either means what it says or doesn't. Shouldn't need a key to the code to decipher it. You still haven't explained how long it's been since humans lived 900 years and could reproduce for 500 years.

The part underlined is a bit sad. Hopefully you will eventually develop a mind of your own. I mean no disrespect. Also, I am not a Priest, Minister, Reverend, Deacon nor Talmudic Scholar.

The part in bold, I never said and you might want to poll the OP on it.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

I very much appreciate your demeanor, thank you. I think Jesus performed miracles, not as God in human form but as a prophet sent from God. Remember he always referred to himself as the son of man though he also revealed himself as the son of God at times. Jesus didn't deny that he was the son of God but he did want the people to know that he was a man. Remember that prophets performed miracles as testimony that they were sent from God. Elijah declared twice that if he be sent from God fire would consume a troupe of solders, and Elisha raised a woman's dead son.

The faith that saves is faith in Jesus as salvation for us. Many have different views about what needs to be said or done but it all boils down to believing that Jesus is your salvation. The miracles that Jesus performed may have proved that he was sent from God but the people still needed to have faith that he was their salvation. Besides that, even if miracles were performed today, as I believe they are, many will not believe. They will attribute it as tricks or lies. I suspect people haven't changed much. Remember that Pharaoh's wise men also turned staves into serpents. I don't see miracles as robbing people of faith at all.

As far as testing God, the Bible tells us to prove God in some ways but not to test him in others. It all depends on the context. Jesus said that he should not throw himself off a high temple to tempt God to have the angles raise him up but Malachi tells us to tithe and prove that God will do what he says he will do. I think it all comes down to God wanting us to do what he tells us to do. When we obey, God is happy to prove that he will uphold his end of the bargain but he doesn't want us to act like imbeciles just so he can save us from ourselves. People take things out of context.Mark says that we will take up serpents and if we drink any deadly thing it will not harm us.This doesn't mean that we should pass around rattlesnakes and drink poison to test God. The example of this verse concerning divine protection is found in Acts when Paul is bitten by a deadly serpent and suffered no harm. He didn't however go looking for it.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
"The part underlined is a bit sad. Hopefully you will eventually develop a mind of your own. I mean no disrespect. Also, I am not a Priest, Minister, Reverend, Deacon nor Talmudic Scholar.

The part in bold, I never said and you might want to poll the OP on it."

Sorry, you're correct. Ringman wrote it. I was confused with all the quotes.. I'm pleased you meant no disrespect tho I certainly don't find it sad. I'm still confused whether you think each person should "develop a mind of their own" and arrive at their own meaning for everything in the Bible.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
"The part underlined is a bit sad. Hopefully you will eventually develop a mind of your own. I mean no disrespect. Also, I am not a Priest, Minister, Reverend, Deacon nor Talmudic Scholar.

The part in bold, I never said and you might want to poll the OP on it."

Sorry, you're correct. Ringman wrote it. I was confused with all the quotes.. I'm pleased you meant no disrespect tho I certainly don't find it sad. I'm still confused whether you think each person should "develop a mind of their own" and arrive at their own meaning for everything in the Bible.

In my view that pertains to all in life and not just biblical interpretation but that aside;

If you've not read it, get Mark Taylor's book, The History of the Bible. It's an excellent read, explains much and can give one a historical perspective as to what they are reading in the context of the times (over 1400 yrs.) and of the peoples of those times. So much of taking things literally from The Book can be downright dangerous. We've all seen of late what literal interpretations of the Koran has yielded.
There are something like +100, so called "commandments" in the Bible (1st 5 books of the Mosaic Laws), 10 of which most of us are very familiar with. Of the 10 Commandments, the 1st 4 deal with our commanded relationship with The Almighty and the last 6 deal with our commanded relationships with our fellow man. Go to the New Testament and see that J*sus summed them all up in just 2 Commandments.
Keep searching and reading as it is a never ending process of enlightenment. That's all.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
No problem with me taking things literally from the bible - just trying to figure out where some of the ideas expressed come from.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thank you for your reply.

Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

The miracles that Jesus performed may have proved that he was sent from God but the people still needed to have faith that he was their salvation. Besides that, even if miracles were performed today, as I believe they are, many will not believe. They will attribute it as tricks or lies.

What miracles specifically are you speaking of? Performed today?

If god truly knows our every thought and numbers the hairs on our head, he'd know how many have searched for him and come up empty. He'd know exactly how to convince the mind of that person. Yet he doesn't.

Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Mark says that we will take up serpents and if we drink any deadly thing it will not harm us.This doesn't mean that we should pass around rattlesnakes and drink poison to test God. The example of this verse concerning divine protection is found in Acts when Paul is bitten by a deadly serpent and suffered no harm. He didn't however go looking for it.

Sorry. I don't see anything out of context there. I can see how some would read that and want to have "faith" that the lord will protect them from these things. Not surprisingly, christians die of snake bites & poisoning too. With or without them going looking for it.

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

Page 15 of 29 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 28 29

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (beefan, 300_savage, BangPop, 907brass, 8 invisible), 1,452 guests, and 840 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,591
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.