Page 21 of 29 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 28 29
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by TF49
Antlers, carbon12 and hillbilly,

You have fallen victim to a fairly common logical fallacy called a “propositional fallacy.” This occurs when a “consequent is claimed to be false because the antecedent is false.”

Explanation: Suppose carbon12, billhilly and antlers are out moose hunting and come upon a camp of bigfoots having dinner. They are invited to join and enjoy the fellowship with the bigfoots for a couple of hours. Then more bigfoots arrive riding unicorns. A great time is had by all and they return to camp with a tale to tell.

Here is the point, someone at camp might say baloney because the bigfoot/unicorn happening is not is their set of life circumstances. Now the occurrence IS in the set of life circumstances of antlers, hillbilly and carbon12 and they are now believers in both bigfoots and unicorns.

The other camp member might tell them; Well we have never seen a bigfoot or a unicorn and since WE have never seen them, it is IMPOSSIBLE for you three to have seen them. There it is, the propositional fallacy. False, because the three of you KNOW that bigfoots and unicorns exist. So, you KNOW something to be true but you cannot convince your campfire members it is true because it is in YOUR set of experience but not theirs.

So, you may feel the need to make jokes drinking too much or what not and about bigfoots and unicorns, but you must see the failure of your logic and attempts at joking only make it clear that either you don’t understand or are unwilling to admit the logic error.
TF

Once again, you are the person who's logic fails. In the above example the skeptic would evaluate the claim verses the evidence. Yes, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

In your above example, it would be easy to test the evidence. How many pictures did you take of this event with your cell phone? Do you have video of it? Lets see your GPS so we can revisit the camp site. There should be remnants of the meal, evidence of where the tent was pitched, hair, footprints, hoof tracks, maybe horn imprints or rub marks on the trees, and Unicorn droppings. The Scat and the hair could be subjected to DNA testing to see if it originated for common farm animals, or something more exotics. In other words, there would be plenty of opportunity for you to provide evidence to support your claim.

If on the other hand, you claim the bigfoots and unicorns curve space and time so that you could see them, but your cell phone and GPS wouldn't work, and none of you could find the alleged camp site, and it wouldn't matter even if we could find it, because only people who were at the party could see tent stake holes, foot prints, hair, and where the unicorns rubbed their horns on the trees. Then you insist I have to believe it, because I can't disprove your light bending, space warping unicorn story.

So you above example is completely off the mark, which is not surprising, since YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW THE MEANING OF THE WORDS PROPOSITIONAL FALLACY:

http://www.fallacyfiles.org/propfall.html

Once again, all you managed to do is demonstrate how you don't understand logic or the nature of evidence.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sauer200,

The "Christians" can't leave it like that 'cause they know they're right 'cause it's in the book.

There is so much speculation goin' on here. My experience was the opposite of your statement. I had to read the Bible to discover what I believe. When I started I had some preconceived notions about some of Its subjects, but over the first ten years I was corrected. An example came when a non-Christian boss asked me,
"Why did Jesus speak in parables?"
"I think to make things clearer to His listeners, but I don't know. Give me a couple days and I will write an essay so both of us will know." Of course I was shocked to discover from Jesus' Word why He spoke in parable. I found the answer. In a few days I confidently told him the answer because Jesus’ disciples asked Him the very same question and the answer was recorded. Jesus’ answer follows.

Mark 4:11-12
"And He was saying to them, 'To you has been given the mystery of the kingdom of God; but those who are outside get everything in parables; in order that while seeing, they may see and not perceive; and while hearing, they may hear and not understand; lest they return again and be forgiven.'"

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
In your above example, it would be easy to test the evidence. How many pictures did you take of this event with your cell phone? Do you have video of it? Lets see your GPS so we can revisit the camp site. There should be remnants of the meal, evidence of where the tent was pitched, hair, footprints, hoof tracks, maybe horn imprints or rub marks on the trees, and Unicorn droppings. The Scat and the hair could be subjected to DNA testing to see if it originated for common farm animals, or something more exotics. In other words, there would be plenty of opportunity for you to provide evidence to support your claim.

Scientists have this type of evidence. Things like DNA, the chance of spontaneous abiogenesis, the Pointene / Roberson effect. The Roche Limit, the fact carbon 14 is found in EVERY sample of fossil, fossil fuel, and even diamonds tested, etc, etc. I will post a quote from the geology book I am reading later this week end.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Atheists will never convince Christians that god does not exist.

Christians will never convince Atheists that god does exist.

That about wraps it up!

Prezactly!

And once in awhile, God inserts himself into the life of an atheist in some way, personal or miraculous, and the former atheist takes up the impossible task of convincing atheists. It is sort of funny.

The Oxford don, C.S. Lewis, comes to mind, though he was a very good convincer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman
...the fact carbon 14 is found in EVERY sample of fossil, fossil fuel,...

That's bull$ch!t.
After about 60,000 years fossil fuel no longer contains 'any' carbon-14 because it has decayed away into another element. It (fossil fuel) still contains carbon, but NOT carbon-14.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

You have fallen victim to a fairly common logical fallacy called a “propositional fallacy.” This occurs when a “consequent is claimed to be false because the antecedent is false.”

Explanation: Suppose carbon12, billhilly and antlers are out moose hunting and come upon a camp of bigfoots having dinner. They are invited to join and enjoy the fellowship with the bigfoots for a couple of hours. Then more bigfoots arrive riding unicorns. A great time is had by all and they return to camp with a tale to tell.

Here is the point, someone at camp might say baloney because the bigfoot/unicorn happening is not is their set of life circumstances. Now the occurrence IS in the set of life circumstances of antlers, hillbilly and carbon12 and they are now believers in both bigfoots and unicorns.

The other camp member might tell them; Well we have never seen a bigfoot or a unicorn and since WE have never seen them, it is IMPOSSIBLE for you three to have seen them. There it is, the propositional fallacy. False, because the three of you KNOW that bigfoots and unicorns exist. So, you KNOW something to be true but you cannot convince your campfire members it is true because it is in YOUR set of experience but not theirs.

So, you may feel the need to make jokes drinking too much or what not and about bigfoots and unicorns, but you must see the failure of your logic and attempts at joking only make it clear that either you don’t understand or are unwilling to admit the logic error.
TF

Once again, you are the person who's logic fails. In the above example the skeptic would evaluate the claim verses the evidence. Yes, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

If on the other hand, you claim the bigfoots and unicorns curve space and time so that you could see them, but your cell phone and GPS wouldn't work, and none of you could find the alleged camp site, and it wouldn't matter even if we could find it, because only people who were at the party could see tent stake holes, foot prints, hair, and where the unicorns rubbed their horns on the trees. Then you insist I have to believe it, because I can't disprove your light bending, space warping unicorn story.

So you above example is completely off the mark, which is not surprising, since YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW THE MEANING OF THE WORDS PROPOSITIONAL FALLACY:

Once again, all you managed to do is demonstrate how you don't understand logic or the nature of evidence.

Is this a fallacy? grin

If TF49 is not smart, then he does not know propositional fallacy.
TF49 does not know propositional fallacy.
TF49 is not smart.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Okanagan
Atheists will never convince Christians that god does not exist.

Christians will never convince Atheists that god does exist.

That about wraps it up!

Prezactly!

And once in awhile, God inserts himself into the life of an atheist in some way, personal or miraculous, and the former atheist takes up the impossible task of convincing atheists. It is sort of funny.

The Oxford don, C.S. Lewis, comes to mind, though he was a very good convincer.

Much more often though it is someone saying this God stuff that I was brought up on is just nonsense.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
antlers,

That's bull$ch!t.
After about 60,000 years fossil fuel no longer contains 'any' carbon-14 because it has decayed away into another element. It (fossil fuel) still contains carbon, but NOT carbon-14.

It looks like you haven't done your homework! I think even the 60,000 years should be corrected to 50,000 years. The half life is 5,730 years. I heard a lecture by an astrophysicist who said he didn't believe it till he did his own calculations. He said if the entire world were carbon 14 it would turn to nitrogen in only 50,000 years.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
n007,

Much more often though it is someone saying this God stuff that I was brought up on is just nonsense.

One can't get much more anti-Christian than Muslims. Recently a friend, who travels all over the country on a regular basis, told me he has been meeting some Muslims who claim, during their prayer time, Jesus showed up and told them they were wrong. They all converted right them. He said it has happened in more town than one.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It looks like you haven't done your homework! I think even the 60,000 years should be corrected to 50,000 years. The half life is 5,730 years.

laffin'

The amout time it takes for carbon-14 to decay is described by its half-life. Yes, I know carbon-14 has a half-life of 5,730 years. In other words, after 5,730 years, only half of the original amount of carbon-14 remains in a sample of organic material. After an additional 5,730 years, or 11,460 years total...only a quarter of the carbon-14 remains. The amount of carbon-14 remaining is used to determine the age of organic materials. After 10 half-lives, or 57,300 years, the amount of carbon-14 remaining is less than 1/10th of 1 percent, and becomes very difficult to detect.

Try harder Ringman.

And the "PhD scientists" that you often refer to in your posts have been thoroughly debunked as quacks by Antelope Sniper each time, as has their psychobabble quackery.

IC B3

T
TF49 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by billhilly

TF

Or the other camp members might reasonably ask for evidence of our claim to have seen unicorns and bigfoots. Taking them back top the bigfoot campsite should do it. Even if they're all gone by then, the campsite will have more physical evidence of their existence than there is for gods.

I am merely pointing out that the moosehunters can KNOW the truth about Bigfoots/unicorns because they EXPERIENCED and SAW and INTERACTED with said beasts. They may not be able to convince anybody else, but their experience has now made them "believers" if you will.

So, simply saying that because I don't know something is not a sound basis for saying the someone else cannot know it.

Rather simple.

TF

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Atheists will never convince Christians that god does not exist. Christians will never convince Atheists that god does exist. That about wraps it up!

- - until the Actual Proof is made manifest. Then, efforts to "prove" become passe.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
T
TF49 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T

TF

RED HERRING ALERT! RED HERRING ALERT!

You know that the point of the story is true so you choose not to dispute it so you introduce something irrelevant. So you start with a red herring and then introduce a straw man and knock it down.

The point is, just because someone does not believe does make that belief impossible. Someone might say "I don't believe in bigfoots/unicorns." One might ask him wqhy and he might say, because there is no evidence for them that I have ever seen. All this means is tht so far, based on the SET OF HIS EXPERIANCE, he believes bigfoots/unicorns do not exist.

OK, but that does not mean someone else may have a well founded belief in bigfoots/unicorns because it is IN HIS SET OF EXPERIENCE.

Certainly you see that.

TF

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

T
TF49 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by carbon12

TF

Is this a fallacy? grin

TF49 is not smart.

You missed the point of the story didn't you.

TF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You are rather simple, that's for sure. The hunters in your analogy have physical evidence they can show to other people. Where is yours? If you don't have any, you don't know either. Faith and belief are not the same as knowing.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by carbon12

TF

Is this a fallacy? grin

TF49 is not smart.

You missed the point of the story didn't you.

TF

What is missing is the PF that you claim is there in your parable.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
n007,

One can't get much more anti-Christian than Muslims. Recently a friend, who travels all over the country on a regular basis, told me he has been meeting some Muslims who claim, during their prayer time, Jesus showed up and told them they were wrong. They all converted right them. He said it has happened in more town than one.

Oh yeah, its all over, Muslims are converting to Christianity by the hordes, within the next couple of weeks there will not be a Muslim left in the world, I heard this from a friend who actually has been out of the USA.

You cannot make this stuff up.

T
TF49 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by billhilly
You are rather simple, that's for sure. The hunters in your analogy have physical evidence they can show to other people. Where is yours? If you don't have any, you don't know either. Faith and belief are not the same as knowing.

billhilly posted: You are rather simple, that's for sure. The hunters in your analogy have physical evidence they can show to other people. Where is yours? If you don't have any, you don't know either. Faith and belief are not the same as knowing.

antelope sniper posted: God has to exist before he can be sovereign.

antlers posted: An atheist can no more 'disprove' the existance of God than can a believer 'prove' the existance of God.

4ager posted: No one "knows" one way or the other. That, is fact. Many have beliefs, one way or the other, but no one "knows".

Here are some cuts from the above posts: “no one knows” about the existence of God. Also, “..... (can’t) … ‘prove’ the existance of God. “God has to exist (implying this has not been demonstrated, at least to AS) Then, “The hunters have evidence, Where is yours? …. you don’t know either.”

Seems that many believe that because God cannot be proven to an atheist, that this “proof” of God’s existence is not out there. This is simply not true. Going back to the moose hunters. They HAVE THEIR PROOF in their own experience. They may not be able to convince the other hunters at the campfire, but they did in fact have the experience and therefore are believers. Their set of experience contains MORE FACT and has given them FIRM BELIEF in bf/unicorns.

Now the skeptics at the campfire may not believe the story but the moosehunters believe it. In their experience, there is PROOF of the existence of bigfoots and unicorns. Sure, maybe nobody will believe it but that does not change the TRUTH of it and the TRUTH that the moosehunters now accept and believe.

billhilly posted that “I (TF) don’t know” Well, if my experience set includes an experience with God, then I KNOW that and billhilly cannot know or appreciate it.

AS posts that “God has to exist before he can be sovereign” He is correct in that but he has not had the same experience with God that I have. He cannot “know” what my faith and belief are based on. He may state that “God has not met the (my) burden of proof.” OK, but that does not deter me in any way because I have had the experience that he has not had, at least not yet.

antlers posts that an atheist cannot disprove the existence of God. True enough. But God CAN PROVE his existence to us as individuals. He has proven his existence to me. Maybe not to antlers, at least not yet.

4ager posts what may be the most straightforward view of them all. He says “...no one knows.” I would think that that is a truly held belief. But, it does not square with my own experience. I have experiences that 4ager has not yet had.

So, I know this post sounds imperious and even a bit haughty but that’s the best I seem to able to do right now.

TF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems that many believe that because God cannot be proven to an atheist, that this “proof” of God’s existence is not out there.

'You' cannot even 'prove' the existance of God to another believer...!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Oh yeah, its all over, Muslims are converting to Christianity by the hordes, within the next couple of weeks there will not be a Muslim left in the world, I heard this from a friend who actually has been out of the USA.

You cannot make this stuff up.

Man, I am glad to hear that! I think a couple weeks is a little optimistic, though. What kind of work does your friend do? My friend lectures about science and does debates.

Everyday Hunter
Page 21 of 29 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 28 29

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,692 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,460
Posts18,471,239
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.