N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
smile

Something clever here.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Interesting. I had just logged in, with the intentions of posting about bikes. I just bought my 1st ever 2-wheel, at 45 y.o. It's an 09 Street Glide, and I'm still getting used to a few things. I grew up on 4-wheelers, and have owned em for over 20 years, but seldom rode any 2-wheel machines.

I took the State riders course, to bypass the bullchit of getting a permit - then license. I've put probably 200 miles on it since I bought it a week ago, but don't feel I'm really ready to ride with a group - which is the intention - since all of my buddies got em. Probably just road time/experience from here.

Most of you guys sound like you've been riding most of your lives, but if you can pass along anything to a relatively new (to 2-wheels) rider, I'd appreciate it. The idea is to possibly get the wife on the back eventually, but we'll see how that goes!

Those Road Kings are awesome! Apparently my file size is too big, or some chit.

Thanks

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Harley Davidson = The most efficient way to turn gas into noise without producing horsepower.

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Have had bikes from BMW, Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha, plus 3 Harley's. I like the Harley.

[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It is a good thing this is on a gun forum as there are a lot of similarities, in that the majority of users of big rifles also seem more impressed with raw power and image than serious performance. grin

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
They left off Royal Enfield at 85%

I think all the jap bikes are pretty reliable, although I will say Suzuki is the most cold natured of the ones I've had.

Last edited by KFWA; 04/09/15.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by MoBassMan
Interesting. I had just logged in, with the intentions of posting about bikes. I just bought my 1st ever 2-wheel, at 45 y.o. It's an 09 Street Glide, and I'm still getting used to a few things. I grew up on 4-wheelers, and have owned em for over 20 years, but seldom rode any 2-wheel machines.

I took the State riders course, to bypass the bullchit of getting a permit - then license. I've put probably 200 miles on it since I bought it a week ago, but don't feel I'm really ready to ride with a group - which is the intention - since all of my buddies got em. Probably just road time/experience from here.

Most of you guys sound like you've been riding most of your lives, but if you can pass along anything to a relatively new (to 2-wheels) rider, I'd appreciate it. The idea is to possibly get the wife on the back eventually, but we'll see how that goes!

Thanks

If I were u, I'd grab a cheap trail bike and do a bunch of riding on trails and a mix of dirt and pavement. Get comfortable on a lighter bike. It doesn't sound like you are quite confident yet. @ 45 yrs, the confidence won't come as fast as it does for a 10-12 yr old.

But, at 45... Its not false confidence.

grin

So, you got that going for you, which is nice. smile

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
I can always tell when HD riders are out for a group ride. By the chase truck following them, to pick up the strays.
You obviously haven't been outta the house in 20+ years, have ya?

laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
the best value for the dollar on trail bikes to me is the Yamaha TTR line - , they are 4 stroke, you get electric start and they aren't so tall you're fighting for leverage standing still.

They are plentiful enough that prices are pretty reasonable for them and you rarely find one that has been dogged out by a serious rider.

The downside is they don't have the power of their competitors and they aren't an enduro/road setup.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
+1 on the ttr. We had one for a season, it was my son's. We should have kept it, he needed mo powwah!

I would have liked it for myself.

Something clever here.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by MoBassMan

Thanks

Yeah heres a tidbit.Riding in groups will get you hurt.No more than 2 or 3 riders besides me and I prefer to go solo.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I agree with that too.

Something clever here.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
That thought has crossed my mind, or at least something I wouldn't cry over if I happened to drop it.

I agree on the confidence thing, and feel it a blessing, and a curse. If I were young and dumb, I wouldn't even be thinking about it.

I'll get there. Seems pretty common for guys my age to get their 1st bike. Been reading a lot of forums, and bought the book "Proficient Motorcycling", on a recommendation from one of them.

The big problem is, it's done nothing but rain since I got her, so I've had more time to think, than just get on and ride.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Huntz

Yeah heres a tidbit.Riding in groups will get you hurt.No more than 2 or 3 riders besides me and I prefer to go solo.

Not really. When riding in groups there should be a road captian that sets the pace and everyone should be familiar with and use hand signals as well as No freakin' tailgating

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
The slinky effect and lane wanderers are a buzz kill, for me anyways.

4 bikes or less is more comfortable for me

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dave those leathers look like they still have that new car smell.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northern_dave
The slinky effect and lane wanderers are a buzz kill, for me anyways.

Sounds like novice riders. Tell 'em to go home.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Dave those leathers look like they still have that new car smell.

That stuff hasn't seen much use.

About the time I got set up with stuff I liked, I quit riding, for lack of bike.

The jacket is a fox creek, I really like it.

I got a partial season in with new riding gear and sold my road king classic to help us buy the house we are in now.

The white bike I'm sitting on isn't mine, its my uncles.

Something clever here.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I love bikes period. A lot of guys say harleys are more comfortable and that rockets are uncomfortable. If I ride any kind of cruiser my back hurts because I slouch. My back doesn't hurt me at all when riding a sport bike but my hands go numb and I hate sitting on my nuts. lol

im a huge dual sport fan cause I was first and formost a dirt rider but love riding to the dirt instead of trailering them. My next bike will be a suzuki vstrom. My current bike is a honda xr650r cause I love 4th gear wheelies throttle only. grin

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I understand, just foolin with ya.

grin

Note the Victory ranking on the list, not too shabby!

I agree with redneck and others on the cushy ride of some of the bigger HD cruisers.

My last HD was a road king classic, which had air ride. Really nice ride as someone else here noted.

I'm not a cycle guy but... while looking at wheelers a few weeks ago some of the Victory's did give me wood.

Camp is where you make it.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

236 members (308ld, 44mc, 3333vl, 10gaugemag, 160user, 257 roberts, 26 invisible), 1,684 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,212
Posts18,503,923
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.