Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bcraig
Bottom Line after all the banter back and forth is this,
IN the event of a ruptured case in the Tikka T3 how will the Tikka handle the Gas?
Is it safe?
This is of major concern to me as I recently bought a Tikka Superlight 270 Winchester and have liked everything about the rifle . Till now. Now I am concerned about the safeness of the rifle.

I've fired, conservatively, 50,000 rounds of center fire rifle in my life and have had zero ruptured cases. Why are we even discussing this?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
Yeah, I'd like to know more about his modifications.

Re. optilocks, I'm not crazy about any ring maker who can't be bothered to supply their product with decent screws. Penny wise, inch-pound foolish.

Ask him

Decent screws really? You have to use a carbon steel allen wrench or torx wrench(current production) and I can guarantee you will not have an issue. I don't like ringmarks on my scope and I like them to stay in place.

I did ask him, thank you very much. That's why I responded to his post. And FYI, I always torque to spec. You don't have to react like someone is beating your dog because they noted a commonly reported issue. I didn't criticize the rifle. I actually own one. I criticized the rings.

You don't like two-stage triggers. I don't like optilocks.

Freedom of choice is a beautiful thing.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have a little first hand experience with this. I'm not proud of it,but I broke the number 1 rule of safe shooting practices.

Boiled down,I had 2 types of ammo on the bench at the same time. 280 Remington and 7 Rem Mag. I was shooting my T3 7 mag. I had left a box of 280 Remington open on the bench alongside the box of 7 mag. I had been shooting the 280 just mins before. Well,I reach over and pick a 280 out of it's box and chamber it in the 7 Remmy,and pulled the loud lever. I want to tell you I was very lucky to be wearing glasses. I put a 1" long longitudinal split in the 280 case. I got fragments above and below my right eye. HURT like [bleep] too. I can also tell you gas will follow the feed ramp,just like a GLOCKand blow the mag. Not the whole mag.Just the bottom out of it in 2 pieces. $70 mag ruined. The chamber is fine. My dignity is bruised,along with my ego and face. I took the bolt apart when I got home and all was well within. Just a little sooty.

So,there you have it. Fresh from the trenches first hand experience. DON"T KEEP MORE THAN 1 TYPE OF AMMO ON THE BENCH! Especially when they look exactly alike sitting there bullets up and both loaded with 150gr Ballistic tips.

Last edited by Otter6; 04/10/15.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

Re. optilocks, I'm not crazy about any ring maker who can't be bothered to supply their product with decent screws. Penny wise, inch-pound foolish.

Ask him

Decent screws really? You have to use a carbon steel allen wrench or torx wrench(current production) and I can guarantee you will not have an issue. I don't like ringmarks on my scope and I like them to stay in place.

I did ask him, thank you very much. That's why I responded to his post. And FYI, I always torque to spec. You don't have to react like someone is beating your dog because they noted a commonly reported issue. I didn't criticize the rifle. I actually own one. I criticized the rings.

The secret to using those lousy sako screws is to use a chrome moly wrench not the stainless allen wrench that Sako provides. It will gall your screw heads like no tomorrow. That issue is reported by people that have no business working on a gun. If there is anyone overreactiong just look in the mirror.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Otter6
I have a little first hand experience with this. I'm not proud of it,but I broke the number 1 rule of safe shooting practices.

Boiled down,I had 2 types of ammo on the bench at the same time. 280 Remington and 7 Rem Mag. I was shooting my T3 7 mag. I had left a box of 280 Remington open on the bench alongside the box of 7 mag. I had been shooting the 280 just mins before. Well,I reach over and pick a 280 out of it's box and chamber it in the 7 Remmy,and pulled the loud lever. I want to tell you I was very lucky to be wearing glasses. I put a 1" long longitudinal split in the 280 case. I got fragments above and below my right eye. HURT like [bleep] too. I can also tell you gas will follow the feed ramp,just like a GLOCKand blow the mag. Not the whole mag.Just the bottom out of it in 2 pieces. $70 mag ruined. The chamber is fine. My dignity is bruised,along with my ego and face. I took the bolt apart when I got home and all was well within. Just a little sooty.

So,there you have it. Fresh from the trenches first hand experience. DON"T KEEP MORE THAN 1 TYPE OF AMMO ON THE BENCH! Especially when they look exactly alike sitting there bullets up and both loaded with 150gr Ballistic tips.

Good thing you were wearing glasses . What happened to the shroud if you don't mind me asking?

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K

Ask him

The secret to using those lousy sako screws is to use a chrome moly wrench not the stainless allen wrench that Sako provides. It will gall your screw heads like no tomorrow. That issue is reported by people that have no business working on a gun. If there is anyone overreactiong just look in the mirror.

Not overeacting at all. You're saying the manufacturer is supplying the gun with a tool that will screw up the screws while at the same time dismissing anyone out there who has a problem because of that as someone who "has no business working on a gun."

That's not exactly a ringing endorsement -- of either the product or your logic.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O

Good thing you were wearing glasses . What happened to the shroud if you don't mind me asking?

Nuttin. It was just fine and wasn't even sooty.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

What are we talking about Tikka or Sako? I use Talley or DNZ and lately Optilocks on Tikkas. Out of them all the Optilocks are my favorite. There are people here that like the stock rings and I don't have a problem with that. I would just rather not have my scope tube slip or get marred.

I do not use the Sako allen wrench supplied with the rings , the torx wrench is fine. I bought a used pair of optilock rings a long time ago, the previous owner destroyed 80% of the screws and it cost me 4 bucks per screw to replace, Not only was he dishonest he did not know how to use an allen wrench properly. Someone on the fire told me to use a chrome moly allen wrench at the time and I have had zero problems since. No ring marks and no slippage what is not to like?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

You were Lucky.

I have only had a primer leak on a Rem700 that burned about a .030 hole in the bolt face on the rifle, I felt a puff on my cheek . I had to have the bolt replaced. A fellow at the gun club shot a 308 accidentally out of his 270 and cracked the stock on his 700 forward of the magazine well.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Originally Posted by bcraig
Bottom Line after all the banter back and forth is this,
IN the event of a ruptured case in the Tikka T3 how will the Tikka handle the Gas?
Is it safe?
This is of major concern to me as I recently bought a Tikka Superlight 270 Winchester and have liked everything about the rifle . Till now. Now I am concerned about the safeness of the rifle.

I've fired, conservatively, 50,000 rounds of center fire rifle in my life and have had zero ruptured cases. Why are we even discussing this?

I've had a couple. A face full of extremely hot gas and small brass particles will make it important to you.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is no problem with gas traveling up the leftside bolt rail since there is a precise fit between shroud and the receiver.

i am not going over this again ever. The Bolt shroud is cosmetic, name how many times you have seen one blown off because of gas traveling up the left lug raceway ?

P.S. I don't believe your little story about the 5 tikkas or the trigger issue you had with one. Not even a little.

Now time to putt your azz on ignore

Mrs. Oldelkhunter,

You can't remember very well can you? I never mentioned a "trigger issue". 4 of the 5 triggers were great, one had some creep. Now I did have a problem with the safety. But not the trigger. First you couldn't remember what you wrote about the shroud, and now you're making stuff up about the trigger. You haven't been able to put together a rational defense during this entire debate and I'm sorry to put you through this.

Mrs. Oldelkhunter, I will believe whatever you say from now on. Please accept my apologies. Get some rest and be well. Is there anyone at home that can help you if you have problems? Someone to tuck you into bed and wipe your bottom?

Get well,

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 04/10/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All,

If that nutty old bat really has me on ignore she'll never see this post or my last...

If anyone knows Mrs. Oldelkhunter or her family, then get a hold of someone in her family that hasn't gone senile. At first I thought she was just argumentative, but looking back at her responses makes me wonder if she actually understood the questions I've asked. Got to give the old bird credit though, she's a fighter!

Anyone that can check-in on her? Not a joke, I'm being serious.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O

You were Lucky.

I have only had a primer leak on a Rem700 that burned about a .030 hole in the bolt face on the rifle, I felt a puff on my cheek . I had to have the bolt replaced. A fellow at the gun club shot a 308 accidentally out of his 270 and cracked the stock on his 700 forward of the magazine well.

I agree. Lucky it was the same caliber,and actually chambered up decent. The thing ALMOST fire formed a new 7 Mag. Just not enough material to get the job done.

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I think the synthetic stock on the Vanguard S2 is head and shoulders above the other two. The trigger is also excellent. The Tikka and Vanguard come with the same accuracy guarantee. The four Vanguards in our family shoot sub-moa and it is well established that Tikka's are super accurate out of the box. I would not put the RAR in the same class as the Tikka and Vanguard, not even close. I prefer the Vanguard over the Tikka because for me they are just as accurate, have a much better stock that won't bend if you are using a sling for support, cost less and I'm recoil sensitive so Tikka's are too light.

I also cannot stand factory Tikka rings. Whenever a customer buys a Tikka and I mount the scope I suggest they purchase Warne Tikka rings, or if they are a Leupold freak I suggest the Leupold Tikka base and standard rings. Much as I hate the factory rings I've never had a customer that used them come back and tell me they failed so they must work.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 4th_point
All,

If that nutty old bat really has me on ignore she'll never see this post or my last...

If anyone knows Mrs. Oldelkhunter or her family, then get a hold of someone in her family that hasn't gone senile. At first I thought she was just argumentative, but looking back at her responses makes me wonder if she actually understood the questions I've asked. Got to give the old bird credit though, she's a fighter!

Your name calling and rhetoric is getting old. Why not just STFU and let it go.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
Originally Posted by 4th_point
All,

He's still thumbing through the Stickionary for more to say. Should be a "bless your heart" coming along anytime now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Otter6,

That was one heck of a "test". Luckily you were shooting a 7mm in a 7mm, as a bore obstruction would have been even worse. Thanks for sharing and happy to hear you made it out with your vision.

Interesting link:

Getting it Wrong

Jason

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1Deernut

Don't be such a cry baby. Who started the name calling, accusations, and assumptions? Mrs. Oldelkhunter! We're just having some fun.

Oldelkhunter asked for info on Tikka shrouds getting blown off, and I provided the links. But rather than discuss them, or rifle "design" the subject got changed or dismissed. She even stated that I was the gunsmith sponsor at the Alaska forums bad mouthing Tikkas. WTF?!

Defend your hero as you wish. But when someone does hit-n-run with name calling, avoidance, and accusations I'm not going to "STFU" because you don't like it.

Jason

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 16bore

He's still thumbing through the Stickionary for more to say. Should be a "bless your heart" coming along anytime now.

Ahhh, no. That's been your forte for quite awhile. But I love how you roll Stick into the equation.

So why the metal shroud 16Bore? If the OEM co-polymer is sufficient, why upgrade? Just paint the plastic 'red'.

Should I collect photos of the (5) Tikklers and describe why I bought each one? I know you'll divert to this instead of answering the above, or discussing the "design" of a rifle.

Thanks!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why the Boyd's on the RAR? Keep digging.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 2,619 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,516
Posts18,509,571
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.