Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The last two weeks my transplant co-ordinating Nurse has been ending our conversations with "Look both ways and DON'T get a cold!" Upon my questioning this she goes on to tell me that if I am even a little bit sick or have a fever they will not attempt an already risky 6 hour surgery. And this place schedules WAY out.

Some of my family is already in Seattle, flight reservations of other family members have been made and purchased, Sheri has approval for a 30 day leave of absence which just started, and I am SO ready to get these ginormous, Cyst packed and now failed kidneys OUT....

And get rid of so many nasty effects of Kidney failure. Start getting my energy and life back.

But I have come down with a lousy sore throat! Can barely swallow except by straining VERY hard to do so. Have a fever that makes me feel like I have a fresh sunburn on my face, not good at all. Worst possible timing here.

My cousin/kidney donor suggested that I start drinking hot Slippery Elm bark tea with unfiltered honey, lemon and Cayenne pepper in it and I am trying to sip some of that concoction down as I type. Also gargling it. But I am curious if anyone else has heard this recipe, and what are your favorite ways to knock out something like this really quick.

I also would love a prayer or two over this. Ordinarily I would not request my friends here to pray over a mere sore throat, but with this one the stakes are pretty high.

We had planned to head for Seattle today, but decided another day of rest and eating really well was a wise choice. My pre op appointments begin on Monday morning. I am also taking lots of high potency vitamins with emphasis on Vitamin C.

Thank you in advance for the ideas and especially for the prayers!

Mark

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
GB4

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Vitamin C: at least 5,000 mg/day. Also, find an old-school doctor who will give you a Vitamin C injection, that'll really perk you up.

Last edited by gonehuntin; 04/12/15.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
A cold with treatment usually resolves in about a week and a half.

If a cold is not treated, it usually resolves in about 10 days.

Your choice.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Gargle hydrogen peroxide.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickyD
Gargle hydrogen peroxide.

I got that idea in a personal message, as well. Since I am up at 3:30 here for my usual pain meds anyway, I am going to give that a try!

Getting up for the day in two hours, pack and roll outta here. I will check back here for other tips and ideas then.

Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Vitamin C: at least 5,000 mg/day. Also, find an old-school doctor who will give you a Vitamin C injection, that'll really perk you up.

My dosage has been a bit short of that, so I will ramp it up to at least that level today and tomorrow.

29 hours left to be rid of this enough to get the MD/Nephrologist who is doing my pre op physical to sign off on the "GO" form he must fill out.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ironbender

Your choice.

And the difference between 10 days and a week and a half is?

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I get at least one bad sore throat a year and my girl friend gets one a few times a year.

I found that gargling warm water with cayenne pepper works pretty well. It acts as an antiseptic and anti-inflammatory.

It's not as bad as it sounds, but if you have some yogurt to put on your tongue afterwards and swish around and than spit it helps with the nastiness.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MissouriEd

Your choice.

He needed the 'tongue in cheek' smiley face after that post. Those two being one in the same was exactly his point.

I have heard this viewpoint expressed before, but I have seen God heal people from far worse, in an instant. This is why I covet the prayers more than the tips and suggestions but with the stakes so high here, I will be aggresively employing BOTH.

In the past hour since I logged on I have downed two cups of the hot Slippery Elm Tea with lemon, Cayenne pepper and honey added. And prayed much. FWIW, I am feeling quite a bit better right now! smile

Have to rise and shine for the rest of the day in one hour, so this is all for right now.

Today will have asphaltangel and me loading up a very few remaining items, then rolling our now home away from home for 5-6 weeks Ford Diesel pickup and 30 foot ( and WIDE, too! equipped with a real living room including a full sized sofa and swiveling recliner grin ) 5th wheel camping trailer. Diagonally, pretty much all the way across this beautiful state to the "Trailer Inn" RV park.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://homeremediesforlife.com/apple-cider-vinegar-for-sore-throat/

I would go the mix with honey route near the bottom of the article.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cold-eze - Zinc Oxide - The stuff works!

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fingers crossed. Hope you beat this, ace your pre - op and have a safe and successfull procedure.

Only tip I can give - relax. Do not stress. Sleep, rest and sleep somemore. Then rest.

Your body will need any energy it has.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

Your choice.

Yep, pretty much. Unless God intervenes in a miraculous way, your surgery should probably be postponed, Mark. The risks are too great. Be honest with your transplant team and the anesthesiologist.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
Cold-eze - Zinc Oxide - The stuff works!

it works if you use it when you first feel your getting sick and it is a cold....if it is not a cold or the symptoms are already rolling along full bore its going to do jack, your to late....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by DocRocket

Your choice.

Yep, pretty much. Unless God intervenes in a miraculous way, your surgery should probably be postponed, Mark. The risks are too great. Be honest with your transplant team and the anesthesiologist.

Yep. It doesnt look good for this time. Id hate to have a virus move down into my lungs and be hacking up phlem just after being opened up.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wish it wasnt so Mark, but these guys are right. Id be resting, drinking broth and letting the doc know whats up. And preparing to postpone. God bless ya, good luck with whatever you decide.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by MissouriEd

Your choice.

Maybe a couple hours.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I will join in prayer.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
good luck.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by safariman
The last two weeks my transplant co-ordinating Nurse has been ending our conversations with "Look both ways and DON'T get a cold!" Upon my questioning this she goes on to tell me that if I am even a little bit sick or have a fever they will not attempt an already risky 6 hour surgery. And this place schedules WAY out.

Some of my family is already in Seattle, flight reservations of other family members have been made and purchased, Sheri has approval for a 30 day leave of absence which just started, and I am SO ready to get these ginormous, Cyst packed and now failed kidneys OUT....

And get rid of so many nasty effects of Kidney failure. Start getting my energy and life back.

But I have come down with a lousy sore throat! Can barely swallow except by straining VERY hard to do so. Have a fever that makes me feel like I have a fresh sunburn on my face, not good at all. Worst possible timing here.

My cousin/kidney donor suggested that I start drinking hot Slippery Elm bark tea with unfiltered honey, lemon and Cayenne pepper in it and I am trying to sip some of that concoction down as I type. Also gargling it. But I am curious if anyone else has heard this recipe, and what are your favorite ways to knock out something like this really quick.

I also would love a prayer or two over this. Ordinarily I would not request my friends here to pray over a mere sore throat, but with this one the stakes are pretty high.

We had planned to head for Seattle today, but decided another day of rest and eating really well was a wise choice. My pre op appointments begin on Monday morning. I am also taking lots of high potency vitamins with emphasis on Vitamin C.

Thank you in advance for the ideas and especially for the prayers!

Mark

Luck to you. Don't want to catch what can be caught in a hospital.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
More Prayers on the way, Mark!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,904
Posts18,479,364
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.