Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Akpilot
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by Akpilot
Interesting feedback. For you guys that had expensive shipping to alaska I'm curious if it would have been any cheaper to send it to say Washington state? If any one is bored my zip code is 99515 maybe you could run quotes on the USPS page and see what you come up with.

For example, gun box weighing 10 pounds, 2 day priority from TN to LA is $14.

From TN to your Zip is $45

That must be the difference. I was looking at 3 day priority, not 2 day

3 day priority from TN to LA isn't an option. 3 day priority from TN to your zip (hold for pickup is $39.64.

Priority 2 day from TN to LA, hold for pickup, is $9.56

Standard mail from TN to your zip is $24.77 with an expected delivery date of May 4 (17 days).

No matter which why you do it, it's MORE expensive.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I include the shipping in my price.

If the buyer ends up being from Alaska or Hawaii, I do something gross to the item I'm shipping.

I still loses money but I feel better.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
A
Akpilot Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by deflave
I include the shipping in my price.

If the buyer ends up being from Alaska or Hawaii, I do something gross to the item I'm shipping.

I still loses money but I feel better.

Travis

Remind me to fully scrub anything I buy from deflave...

"Not everyone needs four tons of smashing power, but for those that do, there's only one choice."
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It may not smell like Hoppes.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
It may not smell like Hoppes.

Travis

Please just charge me for the extra shipping! --- Mel whistle

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are making you pay because you live in a sportsman paradise...jealousy

NRA Life Member. Illinois Rifle Assoc Life Member, USN,
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I ship my stuff priced with free shiping in the lower 48, I got burned before on stuff that wouldnt fit in the flat rate boxs! if someone in Alaska wants what im selling we can talk! I take money order and checks , but about half the folks on here say ill take it if you go paypal, cant they read Checks or money order only!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJL53
I have always shipped to all 57 states for actual cost whatever it comes to, it's up to the buyer to accept the costs or not. The trouble with including shipping in your asking price is you never know where it will be going.

I always include shipping, USPS, in my prices. If the buyer wants the expense of UPS or FedEx, that's their choice and it's on them.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 04/17/15.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Shipping FedEx or UPS to AK is way more. USPS is the only way to go. Just shipped a rifle insured from AK to AZ and it was $55 priority mail.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
$66 from West Georgia to Soldotna, AK

UPS

Rifle priced with shipping included.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I ship everything I can in the flat rate priority box to wherever in the US and its the same price.

The boxes are free at the post office.

And you can order them online as well, shipped free to your door! And then you can save even more by buying postage labels online (usps.com) and you have a record of where it went, tracking number, etc. If you want to get real crazy, you can even request USPS pick up at your door.

I have often 'informed' people on eBay of the fact that Flat Rate is the same to all states so they don't need to restrict AK/HI shipping; obviously this opens the market. One must be careful with larger items however; that applies even in-state. eek

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by saddlering
I ship my stuff priced with free shiping in the lower 48, I got burned before on stuff that wouldnt fit in the flat rate boxs! if someone in Alaska wants what im selling we can talk! I take money order and checks , but about half the folks on here say ill take it if you go paypal, cant they read Checks or money order only!

Paypal is great. Like most financial institutions, they aren't supportive of gunny stuff. That's okay with me too. In those instances where I don't happen to agree with someone's political views, making them pay works for me. I happily send and receive 'gifts' which costs neither end of the transaction anything; any costs are borne by the transaction agent which is cool.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Guess some are just on here for the money , if ten bucks puts you over the financial edge you have bigger problems than shipping to AK.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Not opposed to shipping to AK or HI. Generally price things as "shipped". Most long guns cost me approx $30 shipped via my FFL to lower 48. The one rifle I shipped to AK cost $87 actual shipping. I ate it because I didn't post a stipulation.

Still not opposed to ship to AK or HI. But, all future transactions to AK or HI (not flat rate) will be "shipping @ actual cost"...

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Yup, USPS flat rate priority is the way to go IF you can get the item to ship. I also ship small it's 1st class w/ tracking and insurance, (package NEEDS to be 3/4" thick)
Most times they/the shipper nails you for either DIM or weight USPS anything over 108" total has to go parcel post. For me being in Hawaii that can range from 3-4 weeks, during the holidays that can extend up to 8 weeks. Waiting sucks major A!!!
I always tell the seller where I am located and let them know my zip code, even if it's in my profile. Then I ask for a shipped price quote before committing to the deal. Some folks don't want to deal with and some will, deals come and go all the time just gotta be quicker then the other guy on the computer. My money is just as green as the next guy, I just don't have much of it though:-)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The part that bugs me is when a seller won't follow instructions, discovers that Priority is way high, uses Parcel Post instead, complains about the cost - when they offer free shipping- and then the item takes forever to arrive......when you tell them upfront to use Flat Rate Priority. (It is apparently quite common not to realize that Alaska is not an international address.)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 49 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,585
Posts18,511,051
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.