-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My local ffl is sick of dealing and chasing bullchit from private parties. When he gets them on the phone they argue about things he needs such as sig or DL. Just not worth his effort.

He's a great guy to deal with ... just too many experts out there.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Break it into two parts. Inbound: My FFL will receive from an individual provided the individual includes a copy of their DL. No biggie. Generally charges approx $20. Outbound: I always ship via my FFL just because I'm lazy. They will box it and ship it for me. Generally $30 to $35 in lower 48. Never had one not show up on the other end. I consider it money well spent. I always advertise my prices as "Shipped from my FFL to your FFL" to eliminate the "noise" about someone's FFL who won't receive from an individual.

Key point: I very seldom walk out of my FFL's shop without buying "something". Even it is not something I immediately need. I purchase something I know I can use in the future. Box of bullets, pound of powder, reloading manual, a brick of .22's. And I make sure they know that I appreciate what they do...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Another said he knows it isn't the law, but the local ATF agent made it clear she wanted it done that way.

THIS is a problem.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Inbound I'm like Orion except it's $25.... Outbound, twice I've tried to ship a rifle at the local Post Office. And twice I've gotten in huge arguments with the staff, so I use my FFL.

We have an local FFL, that bases his transfer fee on the value of the the gun coming in. I don't know what the percentage is, but I've seen a few guys almost double over at the cash register. I suppose he does this to get customers to but from his overpriced inventory.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I suppose he does this to get customers to but from his overpriced inventory.

Why would anyone buy something from a person that has tried to screw them on another deal? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Because he does not know the law.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Key point: I very seldom walk out of my FFL's shop without buying "something". Even it is not something I immediately need. I purchase something I know I can use in the future. Box of bullets, pound of powder, reloading manual, a brick of .22's. And I make sure they know that I appreciate what they do...

I agree with this 100%. The boys at the local shop in town treat me great. They even gave me a copy of their FFL to use whenever I find a gun elsewhere that I want. I just email a copy of it to the shipping FFL, and let my guys know it's coming. Nearly every time I go in their shop, which generally is every time I go into town grin, I buy SOMETHING from them to help them keep their doors open.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This tread is almost hilarious, in that only one responder identified himself (Hancock27) as a gun shop owner or FFL holder. Yet the rest are telling the 'world' how interstate firearms transfers should be handled.

Bottom line - firearms transfers are a SERVICE that a FFL holder MAY offer. The FFL holder is free to implement and charge for that SERVICE (or not) anyway he or she sees fit as long as the end result is ATF compliant.

If in the end the final recipient of the firearm transfer is not happy because he or she had to pay too much, move on, find another FFL holder that offers the SERVICE at a better price. OR, get a FFL yourself and do transfers however you feel like it - again, making sure that you maintain ATF compliance. Note, in the process of acquiring your FFL, be sure to understand that the ATF will likely inspect the premise you will be doing 'business' from, require a security system, check to see if your premise is zoned for business, and require you to have posted hours of operation. And don't forget the regular compliance inspections, retention of records for 20 years, and a means to distinguish personal firearms from those of the business.

FWIW, I work in a gun shop and handle the majority of firearms transfers.

I'll go put my flak jacket on now . . . .

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by WiFowler
This tread is almost hilarious, in that only one responder identified himself (Hancock27) as a gun shop owner or FFL holder. Yet the rest are telling the 'world' how interstate firearms transfers should be handled.

Bottom line - firearms transfers are a SERVICE that a FFL holder MAY offer. The FFL holder is free to implement and charge for that SERVICE (or not) anyway he or she sees fit as long as the end result is ATF compliant.

If in the end the final recipient of the firearm transfer is not happy because he or she had to pay too much, move on, find another FFL holder that offers the SERVICE at a better price. OR, get a FFL yourself and do transfers however you feel like it - again, making sure that you maintain ATF compliance. Note, in the process of acquiring your FFL, be sure to understand that the ATF will likely inspect the premise you will be doing 'business' from, require a security system, check to see if your premise is zoned for business, and require you to have posted hours of operation. And don't forget the regular compliance inspections, retention of records for 20 years, and a means to distinguish personal firearms from those of the business.

FWIW, I work in a gun shop and handle the majority of firearms transfers.

I'll go put my flak jacket on now . . . .

That doesn't mean he knows anything. Having a license and knowing the laws are 2 entirely different things, which this thread has shown.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having a license, knowing the laws, and running a business how you see fit, are three different things.

Plenty of shops that won't do ANY transfers either. Maybe its against their religion.

A fella can run his business how he wants. Nothing says he HAS to receive a firearm from an individual.

Plain and friggin simple.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
338Rem -

How do you figure that by completing a 4473 will resolve any serial number issues that may be present? NICS never asks for a serial number when I do the required check on a buyer? Being that a 4473 is a federal requirement I don't think that what you are referring to is specific to a locale but please let me know why you think a serial # issue would be resolved with the buyer completing a 4473.

Your life is made of two dates and a dash. Make the most of the dash.

Sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the windshield.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by dkhnt
338Rem -

How do you figure that by completing a 4473 will resolve any serial number issues that may be present? NICS never asks for a serial number when I do the required check on a buyer? Being that a 4473 is a federal requirement I don't think that what you are referring to is specific to a locale but please let me know why you think a serial # issue would be resolved with the buyer completing a 4473.

Was wondering the same thing !

"Only Accurate Rifles are Interesting" (Colonel Townsend Whelen)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
in that only one responder identified himself (Hancock27) as a gun shop owner or FFL holder

Perhaps I should have made it clearer in my previous post about WA FFLs no longer being required to collect sales tax. How would I know that if I wasn't an FFL. Yes, I am an FFL and my total charge for doing a transfer in WA is $00. Ergo, we now know that there are two FFLs that have responded.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Having a license and knowing the laws are 2 entirely different things

Given that only two FFLs have answered up so far it's amazing how much mis-information non FFLs swear by. The rules are pretty simple and for those that don't want to believe all they have to do is access the abhorred ATF web site. There you will find in plain English that any unlicensed person can ship pretty much any firearm to any FFL. Done deal. Unless you're talking Title 3 firearms, which is a whole 'nother deal, the law states that any unlicensed person can ship a firearm to any FFL and that that receiving FFL can return said firearm to said unlicensed person. The problem is on the receiving end given that there are FFLs that won't accept a firearm from an unlicensed person. That's their choice and it may be based on ignorance or preference. It is what it is. You own the firearm and have found a buyer in another state and it's your choice who you send it to to deliver it to your buyer. If you're not happy with the receiving FFLs conditions tell your buyer to find another receiving FFL. This ain't rocket science folks.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FFLs pick the services they want to offer and how they wish to offer them.

What works in one area would fail in another.

For example, one local FFL has a novel idea. Spend $35 in his shop when picking up the firearm and the transfer is free.

If you don't like the way one FFL runs his business, find another. There isn't a shortage.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Never ran into a local FFL that required it except for a retail chain. The gun library manager thought the law specified only FFL's could mail firearms and even sent out a cop from the back room who maintained their books to push the same line. They finally called corporate when I pushed back hard enough and found out it was only company policy due to paranoid lawyers who thought they were going to get all kinds of stolen guns mailed to them if they accepted them from individuals.

But not one of four "professionals" in the gun department knew a thing about gun laws.

That episode directly led to me getting my C&R FFL... but even then you deal with idiots occasionally.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never had a problem getting the local guys to do a transfer. I just can't imagine that a store owner will pay money to advertise to get people to come into the store, and on the other hand refuse people that walk into their store to hand THEM money.

Someone calls me or walks into my business, they are going to walk away buying SOMETHING. Maybe not today, but soon enough. And if they don't, they are going to remember how they were treated and recommend my business to someone else....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
So what does the SHIPPING FFL have to do? Most around here charge $25 to do a transfer on the receiving end. So far I've been fortunate and only had to send 1 gun thru my local ffl to an out of state FFL all other out of state deals I was able to send the gun directly to the out of state FFL. The 1 deal that I had to go thru a local FFL to ship cost me $25 ( I now use another FFL) just seems like extra unneeded expense.....

There is only one dumb question; " why didn't I ask about that?"

My idea of a trophy deer or hog mount is chicken fried, on my plate, ready to eat!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
They put their FFL in the box.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
They put their FFL in the box.

And then some.

By including their FFL, they also have to show the acquisition (who it came from) and disposition ((who they transferred it to (receiving FFL))in their bound book, complete a 4473 (FFL-FFL) and retain those records (4473 and bound book) for 20yrs.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 16penny, 64 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,441
Posts18,470,899
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.