Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
A backup for your backup.

THIS!

It beats the heck out of throwing a spent tazer at someone...

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Ive carried one off and on for the last 20 years as a last ditch boot gun. I even killed a few snakes with the .22 mag bird shot.

[Linked Image]

Do you carry all of those at the same time (serious question)?

Only if I'm visiting Houston or San Antonio and wearing my hiking shorts and a T-shirt.

Otherwise, I'm usually just packing only my Glock 32 or my Lightweight 1911 Commander.

I find it interesting how we make our choices.

Rather than an array of smaller weapons, I choose to carry a Glock 17 year round. Most of the times I wear jeans, but in the heat of summer it's just as easy to carry IWB in loose fitting shorts, and a loose summer shirt.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have one in each pocket...and two in my cap!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Around here the 380 Guardian goes for 290 to 320 I paid 290 for mine.

Originally Posted by northcountry
KentuckyMountianMan
What is the going price on the 380 vrs the MSRP.
Thanks for your time. Cheers NC

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's a "satisfied customer plug" for NAA. Back in the early '80's I bought one in pieces from a coworker for 20 bucks. It was the plastic handled one like on the left in picture.

I let it sit around in a box lid for a couple of years until I decided to try to put it together. Turned out it needed a cylinder hand so I called up and ordered one. Once I recieved it and started to put it together I realized it also needed a spring, so I called them again.

While ordering it I told them what I was doing and they said to send it to them and they would put it together for me, no charge. I sent it to them and a couple weeks later they sent it back. There was a list of parts that they had replaced on it, including the cylinder that if I remember right totaled up to around $160.00. At the bottom of the list was a NO Charge.

They had polished it up and had even replaced the cheap plastic grips with a pair of Rosewood ones. I was impressed.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Don't believe everything you think.

You ain't learnin' nothin' when you're talking.
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
One in .22mag would suit me fine for just walkin' around
5 rounds alternate with shotshells
Yes, just the ticket

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
NAA makes fine quality weapons. I had one of their Sidewinders, which is a variant on the one you're thinking about but has a standard grip and comes with both cylinders in a swing out version. Very difficult to shoot. Almost dangerous. There is such a thing as too small. I got rid of it. I currently have one of their 380's, the Guardian. It isn't as small but is a very uncomfortable gun to shoot. I will probably get rid of it too.

The Sig 938 is a very comfortable gun to shoot. IMO it is about as small as one can shoot safely.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

I got one in 22LR and one in 22Mag in 1994.
Then I shot some 1 pound roosters with a 22LR.
No effect with body shots. In the head or the neck took them down.

I did experiment and threaded a 22 barrel liner and screwed it in a NAA revolver. It gets higher velocity, but still not good enough to carry for self defense.

Based on shooting animals, the .355" Speer Gold Dot 90 gr JHP at 1100 fps from a hot rodded 380 is the minimum self defense carry for me.

Terminal ballistics are mostly just arguing on the internet for the last 20 years, so I will not argue.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK Clarkm no argument, but I personally have dispatched two elk that were down shot thru the spine, more than one deer, a 100 pound plus dog and several other smaller critters with a NAA 22LR using CCI stingers and it ended the life of each and every one with one well placed shot.

No argument here, just some simple truth.

Anyone that thinks these are just toys, and not lethal or dangerous better take a second look.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hmmmm, Buntline.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Friend of mine made up a lugged 6" barrel matching the factory NAA contour and installed on his 22 short model. He built a set of grips that extend the length but retain the same general shape, somewhat like the square butt that Freedom offered on their long barreled model. He put slightly larger sights on it and carries it in a side pocket on his frame pack for potting small game quietly on backpack sheep hunts. Calls it the "Ptarmigun", pretty neat silk purse.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My wife made up a leather "Carry" holster, with a side pouch to carry 5 spare rounds. It does a nice job of
"Rounding" off the imprint on your pocket...

[Linked Image]

Little piece of velcro holds down the flap.

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Good quality firearm.

Aside from that, they have their use I suppose, but not really with me.

The calibers offered are too small.

The revolvers are too small.

The muzzle blast of that .22 Mag is too loud.

Single action.

There are better things to carry...

As I said, the little guns are made well. I just don't have a use for one.

Not saying you do, but I do know of one person whose life was saved because he had one.

It would't be proper to identify him, but I am sure that many who know him are aware of the story. I never met him since he moved away from the town where it occurred and where friends told me about it. His father was quite wealthy and ran a big business in town.

One day back in the 1980s he was getting out of his car in his driveway and was slugged and thrown unconscious in the backseat of a car by two would-be kidnappers. He woke up and the one in the front passenger seat leaned back to hit him over the head again.

He had his NAA .22LR in his pocket and shot the kidnapper in the eye, killing him. The driver stopped the car and ran off.

If he had not had his NAA, he surely would have been killed, as the two perps worked in the father's plant and could not have afforded to be recognized..

After that the plant had locked doors to all the management offices and remarkably stringent security measures.

I don't know about you, but I thought this made the case for genuine utility. In fact, shortly after visiting the plant myself, where I heard the story, I bought a NAA for putting in my own pocket for unusual situations.

I still have it, though not with me here in Japan. grin

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Excellent case for concealed carry, and why it pays to do so..

Thanks for posting, Anjin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Very good point, any gun is better than a #2 pencil..

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You use to be able to get a "Belt Buckle Holster" for one.

I'm not sure their still made...

[Linked Image]

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by schoolmarm

Very good point, any gun is better than a #2 pencil..

Don't knock pencils.

A #2 is too soft but a sharpened #2.5H in close quarters can be effective. I carried #4H drafting pencil for many years.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
^^^^^ dude in the video is a fuggin retard, it's not a 1000 yard match gun, it's an up close and personal, last ditch, defense piece.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by mirage243
^^^^^ dude in the video is a fuggin retard, it's not a 1000 yard match gun, it's an up close and personal, last ditch, defense piece.

Yep. And he certainly could stand some remedial tutoring on converting yards to feet, too.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (160user, 12savage, 1badf350, 1234, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 1,900 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,171
Posts18,523,652
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.