Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
One I looked at was a 300 WSM w. a test target claimed to be at 100 yards. 3 shots all touching. Not much on weed burners however.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sheephunter2
One I looked at was a 300 WSM w. a test target claimed to be at 100 yards. 3 shots all touching. Not much on weed burners however.

Baffling to me that a rifle at this price point doesn't give buyers an option in that regard. Can't be that difficult to offer a barrel without the swiss cheese treatment.

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by TopCat
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
He went to the range today and shot two different Nosler custom ammo loads; 179 LRs and 160 Accubonds. All four groups were over 3" at 100 yds. Very disappointing outing. Not sure if it is the rifle or the ammo. He is going to buy a box of the ammo that the factory target was shot with and see how it does.

With a rifle in hand that appears well made, (or even not so much), that shot that poorly, I would first swap the scope.

Actually, if I wasn't the designated yanker, (as I often am, or generally accused of such regardless), I'd replace the trigger-yanker first, then the scope.

You know a 300 WSM can have a wee bit of back pressure off the bench in a lighter rifle with them there hot factory loads.

Hell, even a Montana will do better than that...sometimes.

As an aside, every Montana I've had, I acquired because it was a piece of junk that wouldn't shoot groups for crap...

I just live with lower standards than most I guess...

I pulled the scope off a Kimber that shop great; not sure why he just didn't stick with the Kimber myself.

I am supposed to shoot it in the morning. I has a muzzle brake (not my choice) so recoil should be fine.

I agree that taking a 3" rifle to 1/2" is going to take more than an ammo change. I took it apart and set the trigger to 2# (with Fierce on the phone to make sure they approved). Bedding is unusual but should work. I don't know what the rifle weighs- probably about 6 1/2 # or so.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by sheephunter2

Yeah, it's a cartridge with a lot of accuracy potential. Has done well in 1,000 yard BR competition.

I've got a Model 70 Coyote that, with the right combination of bullet & powder is a doggone tack driver... Other combos, only okay.

Guy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TopCat
Hell, even a Montana will do better than that...sometimes.

As an aside, every Montana I've had, I acquired because it was a piece of junk that wouldn't shoot groups for crap...

I just live with lower standards than most I guess...

Now that I'm paying attention...that didn't come out right...

What I was trying to say was that every Montana I had, the previous owner said that it wouldn't shoot for crap, but I am not that particular and I can live with a rifle that will shoot under an inch when I am pulling the trigger.

Same sarcasm, but with a slightly different take...

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I pulled the scope off a Kimber that shop great; not sure why he just didn't stick with the Kimber myself.

I am supposed to shoot it in the morning. I has a muzzle brake (not my choice) so recoil should be fine.

I agree that taking a 3" rifle to 1/2" is going to take more than an ammo change. I took it apart and set the trigger to 2# (with Fierce on the phone to make sure they approved). Bedding is unusual but should work. I don't know what the rifle weighs- probably about 6 1/2 # or so.

Oh yeah...the Kimber with the March. I remember when you were talking about that rifle last year or two ago.

That's a lot of scope...I may have made a sarcastic comment about it back then...I'm not stalking you really...

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
What's the weight? Some of those are in the 6# range or less.

I'd guess this particular setup to be roughly 8.5-9 lbs.

Rifle - claimed 7 lbs, but Fierce also claims its Ti is a full pound lighter and is advertised at 6.4 lbs
Scope - 22.6 oz
Rings - unknown

Where do you come up with 22.6 oz for scope weight?

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is a very nice rifle other than it didn't shoot too good this outing. He bought two of them at SW for $1900. Both are 300 WSM.

$1900 each or total?

Not that it makes much difference to me, just curious. If total, I would still expect an $850 rifle to shoot much better than 3". If each, and I had eliminated various other causes (shooter, scope, etc.) I would be extremely upset. A $1900 rifle ought to come not with just an accuracy guarantee but a customer satisfaction guarantee. (Not that any do.) Further, for $1900 the rifle ought function flawlessly in all aspects and outlast me, my kids and grandkids.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE
I'd guess this particular setup to be roughly 8.5-9 lbs.

Rifle - claimed 7 lbs, but Fierce also claims its Ti is a full pound lighter and is advertised at 6.4 lbs
Scope - 22.6 oz
Rings - unknown

Where do you come up with 22.6 oz for scope weight?

It has a March 3-24x scope on it.

March's spec sheet. I assumed the 42mm objective, so it's possible the scope is heavier if it has a 52mm bell. Did I miss the mark?

Last edited by 8SNAKE; 05/01/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dennis;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust the week has treated you folks well so far.

I had a couple threads on these rifles a bit ago as I'd not heard of them until talking with a buddy in the Yukon.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...erce_rifles_-_anyone_handle_#Post9646692

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...erce_rifles_-_anyone_handle_#Post9646496

Anyway while there weren't a ton of folks who've played with them, there were enough problems noted to give me pause personally if I was in the market for something like what appears to be a Sako clone.

Hope that helped you or someone out there this still morning Dennis. All the best to you and yours this weekend sir.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Interesting.

Kinda makes one wonder if those things are ready for prime time... blush

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dirt Farmer;
Good morning to you sir, I trust the week has been treating you well and you're ready for a weekend - though if you're still farming I don't recall a whole bunch of weekend when we were still on the land.

As usual I digress however and yes, it makes me wonder the very same thing.

I'd opine too that it's one thing to have say a Ruger American or Mossberg 4x4 not work and another to have a rifle costing exponentially more do the same.

Anyway time will tell I suppose - as it always does.

All the best to you and yours this weekend sir.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting.

Kinda makes one wonder if those things are ready for prime time... blush

DF

Seems like there must be more and more ex-machinist building rifles these days as so many of them haven't been even heard of before. In all honesty though, if you are a good machinist, there really isn't any big mystery attaching a barrel to a receiver. The only (as far as I know anyway) mysteries (proprietary info...lol) is throat and lead dimensions used by various "gunsmiths".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fierce rifles are a sako 85 clone. In fact I don't even think they are a clone but imported sako actions that are cosmetically machined, a different bolt handle, shave the dovetail off the top of the receiver so it can take tactical rails or other common scope mounts. Sako detachable bottom magazine etc etc.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
If one ordered a large enough number, Sako would probably mill to order with round top rather than proprietary bases.

So, Fierce may not have that much action work to do, just screw in a barrel and stick it in a stock.

DF

A
A
Had a hunter on a sheep hunt last year with a brand new Fierce, I believe in 300 wsm. Wouldn't feed reliably, didn't always extract and was denting the hell out of the brass. Wasn't impressive at that price.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If one ordered a large enough number, Sako would probably mill to order with round top rather than proprietary bases.

So, Fierce may not have that much action work to do, just screw in a barrel and stick it in a stock.

DF

Do you remember the Magnum Research Mountain Eagle rifles ? Sako actions with a 700 receiver top.

[u][color:#000099]Magnum Research Rifles[/color][/u]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RDFinn

DF

Do you remember the Magnum Research Mountain Eagle rifles ? Sako actions with a 700 receiver top.

[u][color:#000099]Magnum Research Rifles[/color][/u]

Yep,

And, IIRC, they were a bunch cheaper than these.

DF

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I highly doubt sako is offering to make titanium receivers for these guys, yet not offering their own. That and then there is also this:

http://www.nutechcanada.com/the-company

http://www.nutechcanada.com/news-details/details/2014-01-14/Fierce-Firearms-Fury-Edge

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
You may be right.

Sako actions generally feed pretty smooth…

DF

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

146 members (219DW, 44mc, 007FJ, 35, 10Glocks, 11 invisible), 1,365 guests, and 868 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,869
Posts18,478,696
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.