Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I learn more every day. Do you? When a better way comes along I will be one of the first to adopt it. To ignore the superior and to hold on to the old way is simple closed mindedness. You are very firm that a bore cannot have a curve to it. The first I ever heard of it was at PacNor they showed me how they checked for it last thing before shipping. They actually scrapped a couple right there while showing me. Gave them to me to practice on before I turned pro. I can prove it all day long. They also showed me barrels where the deep drill went right out the side. Helix shape or not the bore on average will have a definite curve to it and dialed by the ends your chamber is launching bullets into the bore at an angle. This method adjusts for both flaws.

Now be clear here! I never said that way will not shoot well. Certainly records were set that way. I just think there is a better way now and wish to use it.

I have spoke to my other barrel suppliers and Dave Kiff about it thoroughly and they agree with my findings. Dave even went so far as to develop a bore straightness gauge. I would never use it but there is a demand for it. http://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=310_124

Here is a fresh tennon right of my run out master lathe. I bought it brand new and other than a little tooling it has been used for nothing but barrel work. It leads a very pampered life. Bad part is when I use my methods the indicator just lays dead like it's broke. That's what I call zero run out. Could more sensitive equipment find some? Sure but it would have to sort it out from the surface finish to find it. [Linked Image]

Now another question. How do you compensate for the sideways torque you place on your reamers driving them with a pusher and holding a single handle?

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I use my .00005" indicator on my weighted rod setup I can watch it move by just moving the 4oz. weight around, or by putting my hands on the chuck.

But at the end of the day I believe that I stand a better chance of winning accuracy by ammo building than by wringing the last micro millionth of an inch out. There is a lot more places to lose accuracy.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Tell me, Can you purposely cut a chamber with runout?

Quote-when I use my methods the indicator just lays dead like it's broke

I can tell by your post that you didn't read my post on my chambering method.
Oh, by the way I use a 3' piece of black pipe to hold my reamer pusher. HaHaHaHaHa!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have a set of Deltronic Pins for ea. bore size that I chamber. They are a set of 25 in .0001 increments. I indicate both ends initially. I cut the tenon and thread first. I predrill the chamber to get rid of material and to allow either of my long reach indicators to reach as close to the throat as I can. I want my chamber to be coaxial to the throat. I taper bore to the throat. It is time to chamber now.

I surely could cut one with run out. Easy as an old man falling off the can. I would just use your method, Deltronic pins and all. It's all in black and white. You just admitted you are cutting the tennon and chamber on two different setups. The tennon on the end initially then the chamber off the throat. Guaranteed chamber run out every time.

Say, you didn't pass through Geneseo Illinois mid 1963 did you? Your head is about as hard as mine.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Never been in Illinois, but have lived in Arizona, Alaska twice, Oklahoma, and Texas.
I see that you are not able to process my method.

I did check your post and you said to mark the high end on the chamber side and clock it to 12 o'clock on the receiver. Why?
You didn't mention how you chambered.

IC B2

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Dave Kiff didn't develop a bore straightness gage, The Germans used them in WWI.

He may have adapted a system but he ain't the guy responsible for it's development

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The point was he makes one now. I may be German but don't have very good recollection of anything from before I was born.

In the world of firearms it's really hard to truly do anything that hasn't been done before.

On this thread check post #9842190 and see if that clears it up my method. I will try to cover it again here but Gordy's video does a pretty good job. I run my indicator on top of the rod with a little weight on it to keep the slack out. The meat of it is here in the sample video.

The reason to clock the curve up is to keep it centered in the stock and to give the shooter a little more elevation from the rifle. Why is it off? Good question. The tennon and chamber are all machined in one setup based on the bore location of the throat and 2" farther in. We drill and single point prebore so the reamer has a true heading to follow. Very similar to how you do yours with the compound angled. This is done in an effort to get the chamber and therefore the bullet launched as square into that 2" section of barrel as straight as possible. While dialed in at this specific location will cause the rest of the barrel to point off somewhere to the side due to the difference in the path of the bore at this spot and the overall outside of the barrel. The high spot is noted and when the action is clocked we set it so the barrel is pointing to the 12 o'clock position. The secondary benefit to this is an optically centered scope will be zero usually within a click or two of optical center. Yes, it's that good.

I wish you could be here to see it in person. I'm really not as big a dick as you think you have. Okay. well maybe I am. For real now. I really believe we love the sport so much we want people to get the most out of it and have as much success as possible. At least that's what I believe is the reason people are in this business. I would love to be able to load better ammo and shoot better on paper.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have seen Gordy's video and visited with him about it. I understand his intent, but don't agree. Is that OK?
I think you meant to say you you clocked the muzzle up and not the chamber end as you mentioned. If you did that, you would have no control of which way the muzzle pointed.
I'm not saying that you aren't doing a good job, I just prefer to do a good job a different way.
By the way, My Monarch 10EE has 50 millionths headstock bearings.
Just keep looking for better machinery and better methods and you will do fine.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
A good job is a good job, As grandpa said ,many ways to skin a cat http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/2011/11/voyeurs-guide-to-barrel-chambering-part.html ,
For a novice like me I enjoyed reading this guys approach. very best WinPoor

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

469 members (12344mag, 280Ackleyrized, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 49 invisible), 1,683 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,047
Posts18,521,183
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.