Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by powdr
This might be the stupidest thing I've seen posted on the fire in 10 years. powdr

Can't disagree really. While I find POA/POI scope testing very interesting, throwing my stuff around in the dirt intentionally really isn't very interesting.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Nightforce drop tests every scope for you. Or, if you like to throw them, they have a vid on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6LXAXu15eg

Last edited by WapitiBob; 06/01/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No sense to dropping a scoped rifle to see what might happen?

If a rifle falls in the woods I might fire a test shot or go back to the car and get another.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
All scopes are the same.....

When they're sitting in the safe.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Form,

Interesting to hear on the Talleys, though I was already about to replace the set I have on my hunting rifle with a rail, glued on. Longer term I think I want to rebuild it around a Defiance Deviant ultralight.

I've been quite busy, it will be nice to have some free time for personal projects again. I would still like to figure out some standard tests that make sense for zero retention testing.

Empirical results rule!
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I had no idea that a scope was an actual aiming device and that we need to worry about them holding zero.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've got an idea.......why don't we all go plunk down $3000 and buy a Swaro El Range, Zeiss RF bino, and Leica HD-B's. You can all come out to my muley lease and we'll climb up in a windmill and launch those new Swaro's out on the rocks. We'll see if they will still range and glass stuff.

After all, they're all the same while in the closet.

Last edited by JGRaider; 06/01/15.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
This might be the stupidest thing I've seen posted on the fire in 10 years. powdr

It might be here so people can tell their stories.

Other than that.....

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Never even considered it....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Carl,

Hope it's because you've been killing animals.

Every day with every failure I get less and less accepting of failures in gear, with scopes making up the VAST majority of issues. Don't have much issue with bases that are pinned and permanently bonded to the receivers, although I do believe that integral rails are the way to go. Unfortunately I'm not thrilled with the reliability of Remington style triggers.

Agreed on the testing, however it's hard to nail down a standard as the weight of the system certainly factors in to it. In general I've been doing two drops on the left side, two on the right and one directly on top from about 12 inches onto generally soft ground. The right setup can take a lot more.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I don't get the beef with a guy that wants to test his equipment in an extreme fashion? Its not your money and it provided us with useful insight. Anyone willing to bet that a Leupold VX3 of similar size would have survived the test?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I've drop tested plenty of scopes. Just never on purpose, and it usually involved me landing on my arse.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
At the risk of sounding negative, this sounds like something that the guys at ARAIG that think Big Stick/Boxer/Busheler hung the moon would do.........

From the groove yard of forgotten fav's..........

Just Sayin'

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 06/01/15.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Jimmyp: Your quote: "I am not buying any more conventional variable riflescopes".
I wonder why?
I have MANY, MANY dozens of variable power scopes (on Big Game Rifles, Varmint Rifles and several pistols) and have used them for decades with NO problems.
Of course I would never intentionally throw my scoped arms onto the ground!
Conventional variable scopes are the only type of scopes I seek out for my guns anymore - I am that confident in them.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jimmyp: Your quote: "I am not buying any more conventional variable riflescopes".
I wonder why?
I have MANY, MANY dozens of variable power scopes (on Big Game Rifles, Varmint Rifles and several pistols) and have used them for decades with NO problems.
Of course I would never intentionally throw my scoped arms onto the ground!
Conventional variable scopes are the only type of scopes I seek out for my guns anymore - I am that confident in them.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

This!!

I have only four rifles, but they all have conventional variables.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
people don't intentionally drive their cars into walls either, but the car manufacturers test survivability by doing this with crash test dummies for a good reason.

Someone posts on the fire that they test their scope by throwing it around on the ground and it works fine, that says something about the product.

I have sent Leupold, Zeiss, Kahles back for warranty repair after dropping them, in some cases doing nothing to them and that also says something about the products.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jimmyp
people don't intentionally drive their cars into walls either, but the car manufacturers test survivability by doing this with crash test dummies for a good reason.

Someone posts on the fire that they test their scope by throwing it around on the ground and it works fine, that says something about the product.

I have sent Leupold, Zeiss, Kahles back for warranty repair after dropping them, in some cases doing nothing to them and that also says something about the products.

You must have missed the post within the past month or two where the guy's NF bailed on him, and he didn't even drop it.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
old thread

Dug this one up

Big Stick

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Form and Jimmyp, I worked very hard and long to afford the good equipment I own. I own a S&B, several expensive Leupolds, a Signature Safari Burris an older Redfield w/#4 and a Weaver like new steel w/duplex. While I have dropped my S&B 15 feet from a blind w/no ill affects I would under no circumstances throw any of my custom rifles w/their scopes on the ground or ground cover w/rocks, whether in a case or not, to satisfy some whim dreamed up by some [bleep] on the fire. You guys do that and get back to me. Oh, don't forget to get the dirt out of the bore and check your mounts before trying a shot. powdr

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

I've never read any thread ever posted that I've considered to be stupid. Mostly because if one pays close attention to all of the comments posted whichever way they may lean one has the opportunity to gain a small nugget of useful information no matter how small.

I guess once you've learned all there is to know then threads become useless information.

What I learned from this thread is that I lean toward Deflaves idea of time testing though I did read with an open mind.

I guess that me finding the reading useful and interesting has nothing to do with the selfish world of ( Everything on this forum should be specifically tailored to Powders version of useful)

Congratulations you whoremongral!

Just kidding grin

I'm sure your just having a bad day.

Shod laugh

The 6.5 Swede, Before Gay Was Ok
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (2500HD, 22250rem, 12savage, 1badf350, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 50 invisible), 2,445 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,293
Posts18,505,293
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.