Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Dave_in_WV has courageously let us know what happened to his son, Chad.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9966770/High_Brass

Chad was one of us (High_Brass), and he served his country honorably in the United States Marine Corps. I contacted Dave because I knew what happened to Chad. This post is made with Dave's blessing.

I want to think that the Campfire could and would do something in his honor and his memory. Folks around here have done a ton for other folks in need; could we do something to honor one of our own?

The official stats are that we lose 25 veterans per day to suicide from PTSD and other issues. That's more than one per hour. That's a rate on par with any conflict the U.S. military has ever been in. And yet, we do nothing about it.

Well, this tragedy has come "home" to the Campfire as we lost one of our own.

Can we pull together to do something to honor Chad? It's too late to help him, unfortunately, but perhaps we can do something to help the next vet.

If you all are willing, I'll work with Dave to find the right organization to receive the Campfire tribute and we'll figure out how to get it done.

We lose more than one per hour, every day. We've lost one of our own. Can we honor him in trying to take care of the rest and prevent this from happening again?

Dave's family had donations in lieu of flowers at the memorial service sent to the Wounded Warrior Project.

I set this GoFundMe page up to have all donations sent to the Wounded Warrior Project as well:

http://www.gofundme.com/w2kns4

Feel free to donate as you see fit, pass it along, share, etc.

Chad's gone but there are still so many more like him out there that need our help. In his honor and his memory, I hope the Campfire will do something good.

Last edited by 4ager; 06/02/15. Reason: added site info

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GB1

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I hadn't opened that post because if my allergies. (Allergic to sadness).

I feel just horrible now, highbrass was a lot of fun to chat with in the keyboard world here. What a horrible loss, I will miss him.

Keeping my eye on this post to see what sort of plan develops.

Something clever here.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I'm in.

Post an address...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I deal with ptsd on almost a dailey basis. One a family member from vietnam days, an air force guy, and a marine that just can't seem to reintegrate into civilian society. He keeps wanting to go back to the middle east.
It's extremely frustrating for me, double so for those dealing with it.
I had one of these guys sitting in my passenger seat of my truck one day as we were going through a fast food line and at the window he just about climbed over me to get to the food service worker because he was upset about the fries.
The marine guy swears he is going to quite drinking, he hasn't, and i do know he let a round off into the floor of his apt. His shrink visits through the v.a. are few and far between.
He has not been able to put a collar on that part of his life.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
i don't know of anyone that is affected by PTSD, but it would be an honor to help. will be looking forward to seeing this effort develop.

May God bless you Dave, and your family,

keith

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If I could write a poem it would be titled "The smile that hid so much pain".

The pic of us in our home with snow outside was the day he moved back from NC. One of our happiest days.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The day he moved back to West Virginia.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Training for the job he loved.
[Linked Image]
His last deer, Thanksgiving Day 2015
[img]http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o23/chk1953/last%20deer_zpsuinkmaxa.jpg[/img]

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have lost a son too, due to breast cancer. Just about every year i go up to where we hunted a lot, to listen to the wind.
I think it's kind of an empty spot, like loosing an arm. Time softens the hurt, but it doesn't take it away.
One way of looking at it i guess, is the good Lord takes them home early, rather than having to spend many years fighting the issues here.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Please count me in.

Regards,
Jason

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I can imagine a parent losing a young son or daughter having lost a 27 y/o brother in Nepal in '83 and watching my folks go through hell on earth for awhile. These wounds do heal but there are scars forever.

My best to the family and these efforts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
High Brass shooting the 22 match at my house (he won) w/ Ras & Odessa

[Linked Image]

RAS shooting , High Brass observing

[Linked Image]

High Brass inspecting one of RAS's Savage 99s

[Linked Image]

I have $50 I can chip in , let me know where to send it.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
IC B3

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Fellas, thank you.

We're gonna run this through about Veteran's Day to make sure that we do this right. I'm talking with Dave right now about organizations to best reflect Chad and to best serve the vets that desperately need help.

Once that gets square, I'll make sure that there is a secure donation option set up for folks to do what they feel is best and that the funds will ONLY go to where they will honor Chad and in his name.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sean, thanks so much for jumping on this. I can't tell you how much I appreciated your help with my Nephew Pete. He was able to use some of the contacts you mentioned, and is coping much better now.

I'm in, for whatever plan y'all come up with

Sam......

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sean, thanks so much for jumping on this. I can't tell you how much I appreciated your help with my Nephew Pete. He was able to use some of the contacts you mentioned, and is coping much better now.

I'm in, for whatever plan y'all come up with

Best news I've had in a while. I was thinking about him a lot when news of this broke.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
All in here. Horrible news to lose a vet and worse to lose one with connections here.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm in Sean... just post the info when it comes together.

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm in 4,

I know how I feel right now, I can't imagine how Dave feels. God Bless you and your family Dave.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You are a good man 4. I'm in.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'm in for whatever gets decided, keep us posted on what is decided. Might as well post the info on the forum so that all can see and your inbox don't fill up.

Dave, Blessings to you...

4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Dave's family had donations in lieu of flowers at the memorial service sent to the Wounded Warrior Project.

I set this GoFundMe page up to have all donations sent to the Wounded Warrior Project as well:

http://www.gofundme.com/w2kns4

Feel free to donate as you see fit, pass it along, share, etc.

Chad's gone but there are still so many more like him out there that need our help. In his honor and his memory, I hope the Campfire will do something good.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thanks Sean.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

693 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 1lessdog, 19rabbit52, 76 invisible), 3,255 guests, and 1,407 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,430
Posts18,528,555
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.