D
What's the best one you got?

Buy once, cry once.
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hot cast iron skillet butter salt pepper. Cut tenderloin as thick as you like salt and pepper fry in butter to no more than med rare. Venison tenderloin is too good on it's own, to do anything else to it is a sin.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dittos!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mike7mm08
Hot cast iron skillet butter salt pepper. Cut tenderloin as thick as you like salt and pepper fry in butter to no more than med rare. Venison tenderloin is too good on it's own, to do anything else to it is a sin.

I do the same, but dredge the venison in flour first. Does that make me an unrepentant reprobate?

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My son fixed back strap for us last year. IIRC, he marinated the piece of strap in red wine vinegar and EVOO in a baggie in the fridge, while we did the evening hunt, 3-4hrs. He then sliced into 1" rounds, salt, pepper, Montreal seasoning, and bacon wrapped with toothpicks. Grilled on a hot grill til medium rare. Best that I have ever eaten. Good luck.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Back strap is good all right, but tenderloin is a more tender cut.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk

I do the same, but dredge the venison in flour first. Does that make me an unrepentant reprobate?

nope.........

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

I can let you slide on the flour I guess.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Roll in sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, or a favorite steak rub (montreal steak seasoning, etc) a few hours to a day before cooking and grill like a pork loin in 6-8" long sections. Cook to medium rare. Slice to preferred thickness at the table. Serve with real mash potatoes and asparagus or what ever sides you want. Yum!

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by mathman
Back strap is good all right, but tenderloin is a more tender cut.

If you let them age a bit. The last deer I killed, we ate the tenderloins the next day and I was surprised at how chewy they were. The next week we had backstrap, prepared in everybody's favorite way, and it couldn't have been better.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I do the same, but dredge the venison in flour first. Does that make me an

Unrepentant reprobate? Nope. That's one of my favorite ways to cook venison. I add a little bit of oil in the skillet to keep the butter from burning.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fish head

I do the same, but dredge the venison in flour first. Does that make me an

Unrepentant reprobate? Nope. That's one of my favorite ways to cook venison. I add a little bit of oil in the skillet to keep the butter from burning.

I cooked venison for dinner tonight in exactly that way.

It was .....................................................................................?

Veddy good. smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 2,524 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,474
Posts18,471,489
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.