Home
Posted By: ldholton another ATF [bleep] show - 04/16/24
we've known for about a week that Biden sign this but this is the first one I've actually seen how it was worded.

https://orchidadvisors.com/the-atf-changes-definition-of-engaged-in-the-business/
I can think of a few occasions in my life where I thought I would really like a firearm, bought it, realized I didn't actually like it as I had expected, cleaned it up, put it back in its original packaging and sold it off in "like new" condition.

Now, they say you have to do that "repetitively" to be in trouble, but who decides what that means? How many times, in what time period? Seems to leave it to them to decide, on an ad hoc and arbitrary basis.

Maybe, instead, they can just follow the Constitution, and not infringe on the right at all. Arrest people for crimes, not for selling items perfectly legal to own in what's supposed to be a free market in a free nation.
Posted By: ldholton Re: another ATF [bleep] show - 04/16/24
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I can think of a few occasions in my life where I thought I would really like a firearm, bought it, realized I didn't actually like it as I had expected, cleaned it up, put it back in its original packaging and sold it off in "like new" condition. Now, they say you have to do that "repetitively" be in trouble, but who decides what that mean. How many times, in what time period? Seems to leave it to them to decide, on an ad hoc and arbitrary basis.

Maybe, instead, they can just follow the Constitution, and not infringe on the right at all. Arrest people for crimes, not for selling items perfectly legal to own in what's supposed to be a free market in a free nation.
. that's exactly my thought it's the last part of that newly written definition that leaves a lot of gray area that they can just determine whatever they want...
I can think of a few occasions in my life where I thought I would really like a firearm, bought it, realized I didn't actually like it as I had expected, cleaned it up, put it back in its original packaging and sold it off in "like new" condition.

Now, they say you have to do that "repetitively" to be in trouble, but who decides what that means? How many times, in what time period? Seems to leave it to them to decide, on an ad hoc and arbitrary basis.

The rule explicitly says one time can make you a dealer.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: another ATF [bleep] show - 04/16/24
I wonder about trades?
Posted By: 12344mag Re: another ATF [bleep] show - 04/16/24
Originally Posted by ldholton
I can think of a few occasions in my life where I thought I would really like a firearm, bought it, realized I didn't actually like it as I had expected, cleaned it up, put it back in its original packaging and sold it off in "like new" condition. Now, they say you have to do that "repetitively" be in trouble, but who decides what that mean. How many times, in what time period? Seems to leave it to them to decide, on an ad hoc and arbitrary basis.

. that's exactly my thought it's the last part of that newly written definition that leaves a lot of gray area that they can just determine whatever they want...

Exactly right LD.

It was worded to .govs usefulness.
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: another ATF [bleep] show - 04/17/24
https://www.ammoland.com/2024/04/who-will-atf-shoot-next/

Who will the ATF shoot next?
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I wonder about trades?
Yes, the new rules covers all forms of gun transfers, including barter for good or services.
Posted By: Stophel Re: another ATF [bleep] show - 04/17/24
Personally, I learned some time ago to NEVER SELL A GUN. Way too many that are gone now that I wish I still had.

So, they're liable to kill me for something else, but definitely not for selling guns! laugh
Posted By: 22250rem Re: another ATF [bleep] show - 04/17/24
Reminds me of Waco, when they could have grabbed David Koresh anytime they wanted. He went into town on a regular basis. There's no excuse for what they did back then or what they do now. We no longer have a free market and are losing the rest of our freedom incrementally, as in, a little here, a little there, bit by bit. By the time America wakes up it will be too late, and they will find that they can't vote their way out of it. Welcome to the Great Society, folks.
Posted By: Nebraska Re: another ATF [bleep] show - 04/17/24
I haven't purchased a gun in years so does that mean I can sell whatever I want without worrying about these new restrictions?
Originally Posted by Nebraska
I haven't purchased a gun in years so does that mean I can sell whatever I want without worrying about these new restrictions?

No.
Lets say Gavin win's in 2024 and gun prices shoot through the roof, so you decide to take advantage of the high prices and get rid of a few things you no longer shoot. Since the timing was motivate by pecuniary gain you could still be considered "in the business".
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Reminds me of Waco, when they could have grabbed David Koresh anytime they wanted. He went into town on a regular basis. There's no excuse for what they did back then or what they do now. We no longer have a free market and are losing the rest of our freedom incrementally, as in, a little here, a little there, bit by bit. By the time America wakes up it will be too late, and they will find that they can't vote their way out of it. Welcome to the Great Society, folks.

Anybody they murder was always some kind of "terrorist".
Can't help but wonder where FFL holders stand in this, who and how many have supported and encouraged it?

Suddenly they get to be like auctioneers.
A couple mi uses as a selling agent and 25% of the sale.
CHA, chinnnnng!
The first person charged under that regulation for anything other than an egregious offense will challenge it up to the Supreme Court where it will be overturned. The regulation is far too vague.
Posted By: MAC Re: another ATF [bleep] show - 04/17/24
Never sell the gun. Sell the case and throw the gun in as a gift and write up the bill of sale for the case.
Posted By: Strop10 Re: another ATF [bleep] show - 04/17/24
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
The first person charged under that regulation for anything other than an egregious offense will challenge it up to the Supreme Court where it will be overturned. The regulation is far too vague.

What's an egregious offense and why would egregious, or not, matter?

If egregious is a pass/fail test at all, then it isn't guaranteed to get tossed.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Can't help but wonder where FFL holders stand in this, who and how many have supported and encouraged it?

Suddenly they get to be like auctioneers.
A couple mi uses as a selling agent and 25% of the sale.
CHA, chinnnnng!

I personally know a few around here that did. Gave me a different opinion of them.
Posted By: Stophel Re: another ATF [bleep] show - 04/17/24

More like the first person with really, really, really deep pockets. Most people could never afford such justice, much less devote the many years necessary to pursuing the case.
Posted By: Nebraska Re: another ATF [bleep] show - 04/17/24
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

No.
Lets say Gavin win's in 2024 and gun prices shoot through the roof, so you decide to take advantage of the high prices and get rid of a few things you no longer shoot. Since the timing was motivate by pecuniary gain you could still be considered "in the business".

So if I decide I'd like to sell a gun (or multiple guns) I've purchased years ago and list it on a Gunbroker auction for a penny and it sells for more than I paid for it (like a lot of other things with this BS inflation), I could be considered "in the business"? How is this any different than selling any other type of items you may have collected over the years?

No.

So if I decide I'd like to sell a gun (or multiple guns) I've purchased years ago and list it on a Gunbroker auction for a penny and it sells for more than I paid for it (like a lot of other things with this BS inflation), I could be considered "in the business"? How is this any different than selling any other type of items you may have collected over the years?

It doesn't have to sell for more than what you paid for it to get [bleep] over by this crap.

No.

You can loose money and still be considered "in the business". A profit isn't necessary, just a motive of pecuniary gain.

Here's another great trap they've set. If at anytime your revenue from firearms sales exceeds your income, you're "in the business".

So, you're retired just collecting 1500 a month in social security, and sell two guns in one month for $1000 each. Guess what, you're presumed to be "in the business".

Loose your job, sell a couple of guns, same thing.

Keep in mind, one of the stated goal of the Safer Communities Act was to plug the alleged Gun Show and Private Sales "loopholes".
Posted By: WMR Re: another ATF [bleep] show - 04/17/24

No.

So if I decide I'd like to sell a gun (or multiple guns) I've purchased years ago and list it on a Gunbroker auction for a penny and it sells for more than I paid for it (like a lot of other
things with this BS inflation), I could be considered "in the business"? How is this any different than selling any other type of items you may have collected over the years?

Under those circumstances, you’ll be fine. The law specifically allows occasional sales or complete liquidation of a personal collection.
Posted By: 1minute Re: another ATF [bleep] show - 04/17/24
Never sell the gun. Sell the case and throw the gun in as a gift and write up the bill of sale for the case.

Many years back when I lived in Va, some dealers used that approach to get around the then existing "blue laws" prohibiting Sunday sales. They sold $10,000 cabbages, and threw in a free car.

From memory, I think we could fish on Sundays, but not hunt.
Posted By: akrange Re: another ATF [bleep] show - 04/17/24

No.

You can loose money and still be considered "in the business". A profit isn't necessary, just a motive of pecuniary gain.

Here's another great trap they've set. If at anytime your revenue from firearms sales exceeds your income, you're "in the business".

So, you're retired just collecting 1500 a month in social security, and sell two guns in one month for $1000 each. Guess what, you're presumed to be "in the business".

Loose your job, sell a couple of guns, same thing.

Keep in mind, one of the stated goal of the Safer Communities Act was to plug the alleged Gun Show and Private Sales "loopholes".

For those that Scream about shutting down the Government ..

Hahahaha Hahahaha

License to Kill has been Issued..
Originally Posted by Stophel

More like the first person with really, really, really deep pockets. Most people could never afford such justice, much less devote the many years necessary to pursuing the case.

It's the kind of case GOA would take on. Thinking a Bruen type case.
Originally Posted by 2ndwind

“Bryan Malinowski was asleep but rose to the sound of the door crashing and located a firearm. His wife believed the noise must have been intruders and she fully believes her husband thought the same. He loaded a magazine into a pistol and emerged from the master bedroom into a hallway leading indirectly to the front entryway. He reached a corner in the hall and looked around it to see several unidentifiable figures already several steps inside his home,” Malinowski’s family said in the statement. “We do not know who shot first but it appears that Bryan shot approximately three times at a decidedly low angle, probably at the feet of the intruders who were roughly 30 feet away.”

What a genuine chit show...

FUGG THE ATF...
Posted By: HawkI Re: another ATF [bleep] show - 04/17/24
Originally Posted by WMR

No.

So if I decide I'd like to sell a gun (or multiple guns) I've purchased years ago and list it on a Gunbroker auction for a penny and it sells for more than I paid for it (like a lot of other
things with this BS inflation), I could be considered "in the business"? How is this any different than selling any other type of items you may have collected over the years?

Under those circumstances, you’ll be fine. The law specifically allows occasional sales or complete liquidation of a personal collection.

It's not a law.

It's a Constitutional infringement as well, period.
What I meant was that Federal law specifically protects the activity he’s asking about. That has not changed.
Originally Posted by CashisKing
What a genuine chit show...

Not from the ATF's perspective, that went exactly how they wanted it to go.

They've never clearly defined many of their rules specifically so they can do exactly what they did here and they've done it numerous times over many years. This latest re-definition is just more of the same.

Every single person who works for the ATF knows what they do. All of them. They extrajudicially kill US Citizens to ratify their authority. They kill children. They kill a whole lot of dogs. Etc etc. All of the people who work for them know what they do and they support that mission.
The irony of our govt having an agency to infringe the hell out of what our Constitution says "shall not be infringed"....

How stupid is THAT?
Originally Posted by WMR
What I meant was that Federal law specifically protects the activity he’s asking about. That has not changed.

You're a lot more trusting in our FED.GOV than the rest of us. I don't trust them any further than I would an angry mamba in a phone booth with me.
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by WMR

You're a lot more trusting in our FED.GOV than the rest of us. I don't trust them any further than I would an angry mamba in a phone booth with me.

Trust in DOJ? No way. This is a bad law, done for political purposes, and will be used to intimidate law abiding gun owners. EVERYONE knows it will not make any community safer. I just don't think that hyperbole is helpful. The facts are bad enough.
Is there a list of all the Republicans who voted for this? They really need to be made to pay the political penalty.
Posted By: ldholton Re: another ATF [bleep] show - 04/17/24
Is there a list of all the Republicans who voted for this? They really need to be made to pay the political penalty.
I was not aware there was any kind of a Congressional vote on this. I thought the ATF just redefined what a dealer was...
which is also totally illegal..
I was not aware there was any kind of a Congressional vote on this. I thought the ATF just redefined what a dealer was...
The ATF claims they are merely responding to a new bipartisan law passed by Congress designed to "close the gun show loophole."
The ATF claims they are merely responding to a new bipartisan law passed by Congress designed to "close the gun show loophole."
okay maybe there was I was unaware of it. not that it makes it any better. but it does actually make one less arguing point in court to get rid of it..
okay maybe there was I was unaware of it. not that it makes it any better. but it does actually make one less arguing point in court to get rid of it..

That is this: https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/senate-bill/2938/text
Originally Posted by Stickfight

That is this: https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/senate-bill/2938/text
it looks like Marco Rubio damaged his career quite a bit
Posted By: battue Re: another ATF [bleep] show - 04/17/24
Originally Posted by Stophel

The NRA will pick up that tab....But most here think they are useless.

A guy here was trying to shut down a local club...The NRA had their lawyers give them advice and support ant it went away. Another useless example.
it looks like Marco Rubio damaged his career quite a bit

I have not looked at how it was amended and by whom. Bills generally get a lot of junk inserted on the way through the process.

I completely agree with the notion that there needed to be clearer definition of who needs and FFL and who doesn't, but it was never going to work under the current structure where the sociopaths at the ATF makes rules based on their interpretation of laws implemented by the executive branch. The right answer is no one needs one but we aren't going to get there in one hop.
Originally Posted by WMR

You might want to peruse the changes that are the topic of this thread.
Posted By: bluefish Re: another ATF [bleep] show - 04/17/24
One problem is Executive branch agencies are engaging in what amounts to writing legislation and that is unconstitutional. This is going to be ripe for a lawsuit soon.
Posted By: Greyghost Re: another ATF [bleep] show - 04/17/24
If this here is the law, you all are just making [bleep] up. All it does is spell it out in a little clearer wording, so you all understand.

The final version of ATF Rule 2022R-17 has been submitted to the Federal Register and will go into effect 30 days after the date of publication. The Final Rule broadens the definition of who is “engaged in the business” as a dealer in firearms and finalizes many amendments to regulatory definitions.

A person will be considered to be “engaged in the business” as a dealer in firearms, when that person:

Resells or offers for resale firearms, and also represents to potential buyers or otherwise demonstrates a willingness and ability to purchase and resell additional firearms (i.e., to be a source of additional firearms for resale)”
Repetitively purchases for the purpose of resale, or repetitively resells or offers for resale, firearms—
(i) Through straw or sham businesses, or individual straw purchasers or sellers; or (ii) That cannot lawfully be purchased, received, or possessed under Federal, State, local, or Tribal law…

Repetitively sells or offers for resale firearms
(i) Within 30 days after the person purchased the firearms; or

(ii) Within one year after the person purchased the firearms if they are

(A) New, or like new in their original packaging; or

(B) The same make and model, or variants thereof

As a former licensee (or responsible person acting on behalf of the former licensee), resells or offers for resale to a person . . . firearms that were in the business inventory of the former licensee at the time the license was terminated…
and

As a former licensee (or responsible person acting on behalf of the former licensee), resells or offers for resale firearms that were transferred to the licensee’s personal collection…”
The Rule finalizes the amendment to the regulatory definition of “Dealer” to clarify that firearms dealing may occur wherever, or through whatever medium, qualifying domestic or international activities are conducted.

The Rule also “finalizes an amendment to the regulatory definition of “engaged in the business” to define the terms “purchase” and “sale” as they apply to dealers to include any method of payment or medium of exchange for a firearm, including services or illicit forms of payment (e.g., controlled substances). “Resale” is defined to mean “selling a firearm, including a stolen firearm, after it was previously sold by the original manufacturer or any other person.””

Providing services is considered a medium of exchange, so the ATF has codified their “historical exclusion for auctioneers who provide only auction services on commission to assist in liquidating firearms at an “estate-type” auction.”

The ruling states that a “licensee transferring a firearm to another licensee, must do so by following the verification and recordkeeping procedures in the regulations, rather than by using a Firearms Transaction Record, ATF Form 4473.”

“The final rule recognizes that individuals who purchase firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or a legitimate hobby are permitted by the GCA to occasionally buy and sell firearms for those purposes, or occasionally resell to a licensee or to a family member for lawful purposes, without the need to obtain a license.” Without an FFL, an individual must ensure they are not “engaged in the business” and the transaction is not “to predominantly earn a profit”, which now focuses only on whether the intent of the underlying sale or disposition of the firearms is predominantly of the obtaining pecuniary gain. Individuals may continue to engage in private intrastate sales, without a license, provided the individuals are not “engaged in the business” and the transaction is otherwise compliance with the law.

And it looks as if it's spelled out pretty clearly in the new wording...

Phil
Posted By: akrange Re: another ATF [bleep] show - 04/17/24
Originally Posted by bluefish
One problem is Executive branch agencies are engaging in what amounts to writing legislation and that is unconstitutional. This is going to be ripe for a lawsuit soon.

Ya Remember when Emanuel gave the CDC the power to Shut the Country down..

Take over the Mortgage Industry..

You don’t think the BTAF didn’t see new power out of thin Air ..

How about the 27K FISA Violations which have never been Addressed..

How about all those New Section 702 Police State Goodie’s the 115 House Republicans just sent to the Senate..

If the Existing Section 702 wasn’t bad enough they go and Double Down on the Heel of the Boot ..

Hahahaha Hahahaha

350 Million People are just Spectators to their Own Demise..

How now Mao …
Originally Posted by Greyghost
If this here is the law, you all are just making [bleep] up. All it does is spell it out in a little clearer wording, so you all understand.

The final version of ATF Rule 2022R-17 has been submitted to the Federal Register and will go into effect 30 days after the date of publication. The Final Rule broadens the definition of who is “engaged in the business” as a dealer in firearms and finalizes many amendments to regulatory definitions.

A person will be considered to be “engaged in the business” as a dealer in firearms, when that person:

Resells or offers for resale firearms, and also represents to potential buyers or otherwise demonstrates a willingness and ability to purchase and resell additional firearms (i.e., to be a source of additional firearms for resale)”
Repetitively purchases for the purpose of resale, or repetitively resells or offers for resale, firearms—
(i) Through straw or sham businesses, or individual straw purchasers or sellers; or (ii) That cannot lawfully be purchased, received, or possessed under Federal, State, local, or Tribal law…

As a former licensee (or responsible person acting on behalf of the former licensee), resells or offers for resale to a person . . . firearms that were in the business inventory of the former licensee at the time the license was terminated…
and

As a former licensee (or responsible person acting on behalf of the former licensee), resells or offers for resale firearms that were transferred to the licensee’s personal collection…”
The Rule finalizes the amendment to the regulatory definition of “Dealer” to clarify that firearms dealing may occur wherever, or through whatever medium, qualifying domestic or international activities are conducted.

The Rule also “finalizes an amendment to the regulatory definition of “engaged in the business” to define the terms “purchase” and “sale” as they apply to dealers to include any method of payment or medium of exchange for a firearm, including services or illicit forms of payment (e.g., controlled substances). “Resale” is defined to mean “selling a firearm, including a stolen firearm, after it was previously sold by the original manufacturer or any other person.””

Providing services is considered a medium of exchange, so the ATF has codified their “historical exclusion for auctioneers who provide only auction services on commission to assist in liquidating firearms at an “estate-type” auction.”

The ruling states that a “licensee transferring a firearm to another licensee, must do so by following the verification and recordkeeping procedures in the regulations, rather than by using a Firearms Transaction Record, ATF Form 4473.”

“The final rule recognizes that individuals who purchase firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or a legitimate hobby are permitted by the GCA to occasionally buy and sell firearms for those purposes, or occasionally resell to a licensee or to a family member for lawful purposes, without the need to obtain a license.” Without an FFL, an individual must ensure they are not “engaged in the business” and the transaction is not “to predominantly earn a profit”, which now focuses only on whether the intent of the underlying sale or disposition of the firearms is predominantly of the obtaining pecuniary gain. Individuals may continue to engage in private intrastate sales, without a license, provided the individuals are not “engaged in the business” and the transaction is otherwise compliance with the law.

Phil

Glad you have this figured out. Let's look at the wording of the law and I'll let you answer my question.

"The final rule recognizes that individuals who purchase firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or a legitimate hobby are permitted by the GCA to occasionally buy and sell firearms for those purposes."

Specifically how often is occasionally? Once a week? Once a month? Once a year? Give me a clear, definitive and non-subjective answer.

This should be fun. Something tells me we are about to do the typical liberal dance.
Hopefully SCOTUS addresses this soon with a favorable decision in the Chevron defense case.
Posted By: Dinny Re: another ATF [bleep] show - 04/17/24
Old news...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...hink-youre-not-a-gun-dealer#Post19389664
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Hopefully SCOTUS addresses this soon with a favorable decision in the Chevron defense case.
We can only hope!
So now you're offering legal advise ? What happened, get tired of buying .22 ammo you don't need ?
Posted By: Huntz Re: another ATF [bleep] show - 04/17/24
Never happened.
Posted By: Dinny Re: another ATF [bleep] show - 04/17/24
In the future I see diminished online sales and increased local consignments. This law is clearly not intended to increase background checks but rather to limit individual gun sales.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: another ATF [bleep] show - 04/17/24
Originally Posted by Dinny
In the future I see diminished online sales and increased local consignments. This law is clearly not intended to increase background checks but rather to limit individual gun sales.

The universal background checks were to keep track of who owns what and this was designed to "Get'em".
Posted By: Dinny Re: another ATF [bleep] show - 04/18/24
Posted By: ldholton Re: another ATF [bleep] show - 04/18/24
Originally Posted by gunswizard
So now you're offering legal advise ? What happened, get tired of buying .22 ammo you don't need ?
to whom was that statement directed at?
Originally Posted by gunswizard
to whom was that statement directed at?

Me. He's a reseller who got pissed off when I bought thirteen 50 round boxes of SK 22 ammo for dirt cheap back during the last shortage. He complains about it every time he gets a chance.
Posted By: RAM Re: another ATF [bleep] show - 04/18/24
REALLY PATHETIC the way the word LAW gets thrown around here. Its NOT law. Its Policy. Rule making. Does ATF have jurisdiction over Non licensee's ? Isn't Congress who has the power to make LAW ?
Its like the idiots who continually call America a Democracy. You fight their battle for them.

Wake the phuggg up! If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.
Originally Posted by RAM
REALLY PATHETIC the way the word LAW gets thrown around here. Its NOT law. Its Policy. Rule making. Does ATF have jurisdiction over Non licensee's ? Isn't Congress who has the power to make LAW ?
Its like the idiots who continually call America a Democracy. You fight their battle for them.

Regulations.
Posted By: RAM Re: another ATF [bleep] show - 04/18/24
Originally Posted by RAM

Regulations.

Over who? Did you enter into a Contract with ATF?
Posted By: BMT Re: another ATF [bleep] show - 04/18/24
Originally Posted by RAM

Regulations.

It’s a law, they will prosecute you based upon the regulations.

Just like the IRS prosecutes based upon its regulations.

That being said, this thing is overblown. The regulations have specific exemptions for ordinary gun guy stuff.

See pages 12-13.

BMT
Having copy and past issues on phone
Posted By: Dinny Re: another ATF [bleep] show - 04/18/24
One might have a case where they bought a gun say in the 1970s then sold it in 2024 for more money. In all actuality it's a case of 1970s dollars compared to 2024 dollars. It might be a profit but it could also be a wash or a loss. The profit piece of that regulation leaves much room for interpretation and argument.

There is also a bit of ambiguity in the wording about personal collections and self defense guns. A M1 Carbine was mainly an offensive weapon but medics may have been issued them for personal defense and defense of their patients.
Posted By: 338reddog Re: another ATF [bleep] show - 04/19/24
Tag
Posted By: Stophel Re: another ATF [bleep] show - 04/19/24
So.... are we gonna have to keep records of how much we paid for a gun and the date purchased?
Originally Posted by Greyghost

and

Phil

Glad you have this figured out. Let's look at the wording of the law and I'll let you answer my question.

"The final rule recognizes that individuals who purchase firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or a legitimate hobby are permitted by the GCA to occasionally buy and sell firearms for those purposes."

Specifically how often is occasionally? Once a week? Once a month? Once a year? Give me a clear, definitive and non-subjective answer.

This should be fun. Something tells me we are about to do the typical liberal dance.

Bump. Anything?
Posted By: reivertom Re: another ATF [bleep] show - 04/19/24
Now with the ATF you are guilty until proven innocent, just like the Soviet Union. They can be 100% in the wrong, and it will take all of your life's savings to prove they are, and they will have no consequences.
© 24hourcampfire