Home
Posted By: isaac The "Core" Of Ryan's Budget Plan - 08/11/12

What is the 'Ryan plan'? Budget proposal back in spotlight with VP announcement
Published August 11, 2012
FoxNews.com

With Rep. Paul Ryan selected as Mitt Romney's running mate, voters will be hearing a lot about the so-called "Ryan" plan.

So what is it?

Though each party has strong feelings about what Ryan's controversial budget proposal entails, here are a few highlights. Just the facts:

The latest full-scale version of the plan, unveiled in March, vows to cut spending by $5 trillion over the next decade, compared against President Obama's plan.

The plan would, a decade from now, give seniors the option of taking a government payment to purchase health insurance. That payment could be used to buy a private insurance plan, or go toward the traditional Medicare plan. The plan calls for extra assistance to help low-income beneficiaries and those with "greater health risks."

The plan would overhaul Medicaid by turning it into a block grant system for states.

The plan would cut the corporate tax rate from 35 percent to 25 percent. It would implement two individual income tax brackets -- 10 percent and 25 percent.

The plan would head off the scheduled automatic defense cuts, first by diverting the planned $55 million defense cut in 2013 by implementing those cuts elsewhere.

The plan vows to bring the size of government to 20 percent of GDP by 2015
Timely and spot on Bob.

Ryan's well thought out budget approach is vastly superior to hussein's non existent budget......

Obama just promises 'it will get better', which flies in the the face of reality. He has no plan. He has no budget. He has no clue.

As always, hussein's goal is destruction, not improvement.
The plan would sell federal land......
Is'nt like 90% of Alaska government land? Does that sound sane? I'm all for having protected land, but the western states don't fare much better. The states ought to be able to have more control over their own well being. We can't even drill for needed oil because the feds' dither.
Originally Posted by 21
Is'nt like 90% of Alaska government land? Does that sound sane? I'm all for having protected land, but the western states don't fare much better. The states ought to be able to have more control over their own well being. We can't even drill for needed oil because the feds' dither.
+1 The Federal Government has no Constitutional authorization to hold huge tracts of land within the states.

Well, those are some high-minded and good-sounding points. Something like this HAS to be implemented.
an the rest is obama [bleep]
if the citizenry can't tolerate even the modest cuts of the Ryan plan, they doom themselves to far worse when interest begins to freeze out everything else. Ryan's nomination will help to frame this as a referendum between the payers and grownups, and the takers and dreamers who think the gravy train can just run on forever.
Originally Posted by RISJR

The plan would head off the scheduled automatic defense cuts, first by diverting the planned $55 million defense cut in 2013 by implementing those cuts elsewhere.

Thank God!! Now we can make sure to build little Haji's school so he can be an educated little bastid who hates us.

Originally Posted by 21

horseshit...you ain't been to Wyoming in a while have you ...another uneducated response. There are wells and coal mines all over federal ground here. and 5000 new permits in my county alone.
Originally Posted by rrroae

Thank God!! Now we can make sure to build little Haji's school so he can be an educated little bastid who hates us.

Rex give it a rest..........ok?

grin So true. That's a defect.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by 21
+1 The Federal Government has no Constitutional authorization to hold huge tracts of land within the states.

hey tinfoil nunchuck boy get a real life. Why don't you do something meaningful with your life. I suggest you focus your energy on lobbying in DC
Sorry my friend. If we need to make sacrifices, we all need to sacrifice and that includes dubious defense spending. The fact they(GOP) would try to take defense spending off the table just tells me they want the bill to go nowhere because they never intended for it to pass.

Originally Posted by Steve_NO
if the citizenry can't tolerate even the modest cuts of the Ryan plan, they doom themselves to far worse when interest begins to freeze out everything else.

Very true,....but of course, if the populace really wanted a fiscally responsible candidate, Ron Paul would be the nominee.

Ryan is going to have to walk a fine line with his rhetoric.

Somehow, he's got to convince the young people that he's the Social Security/Medicare hatchet man without letting the older folks find it out.

,...and he absolutely has to deliver Florida.

It'll be a good trick if he pulls it off.
Bristoe...educate yourself on his plan. You're just sounding completely ignorant now spewing HS that isn't close to accurate.
I'm still trying to figure out how Romney and Ryan are going to get the American support for their plan to make cuts to Medicare, raise SS age and then turn around and give tax cuts to the wealthiest Americans?

Not saying any of that doesn't need done but it sure doesn't sound like it's going to win over many converts.
You apparently have no clue as to the substance of his plan,either.
Sorry my friend. If we need to make sacrifices, we all need to sacrifice and that includes dubious defense spending. The fact they(GOP) would try to take defense spending off the table just tells me they want the bill to go nowhere because they never intended for it to pass.

I agree that we don't need to "save" every horseshit 3rd world country but I am all for defending this country. Too much waste in government I agree with, but start with the welfare rats and congresscritters. Also chop the dicks and hands off the unscrupulous defense contractors.BUT secure or borders and defend them to the death.
I believe he wants a 2 tier tax bracket. One 25% and one 10%. If my math is correct, that would lower taxes on the wealthiest Americans by almost 30%.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Originally Posted by eh76

I agree that we don't need to "save" every horseshit 3rd world country but I am all for defending this country. Too much waste in government I agree with, but start with the welfare rats and congresscritters. Also chop the dicks and hands off the unscrupulous defense contractors.BUT secure or borders and defend them to the death.

We're on the same page. We just get there from a different angle.
I believe he wants a 2 tier tax bracket. One 25% and one 10%. If my math is correct, that would lower taxes on the wealthiest Americans by almost 30%.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I am for a 10% flat tax across the board...........everyone pays. Everyone has equal opportunity to make their own way...what they do with it is their own choice. I am totally against penalizing someone for working harder to make their fortune.

Just like I am against local goobermint legislating a smoking ban city wide and telling business owners what they can do in their own buiness...btw I am an ex smoker and abhor tobacco smoke.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I know you're aghast at the thought of the government only stealing a quarter of a man's income, but don't you think if you want to create jobs and pull out of a four year tailspin putting money into the private economy rather than funding more left wing schemes and union bailouts is probably a good idea? If you don't, well....Obama is your boy.
Not arguing for or against the merits of a flat tax. Just saying it's a hard sell when you(gov't) are talking about everyone needing to make sacrifices.
needs to be done....cut off the welfare teat....those on welfare can perform some useful task as community service...I am tired of the leaches we support.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I know you're aghast at the thought of the government only stealing a quarter of a man's income, but don't you think if you want to create jobs and pull out of a four year tailspin putting money into the private economy rather than funding more left wing schemes and union bailouts is probably a good idea? If you don't, well....Obama is your boy.

I'm for paying 0% income taxes.

But if you really want to get into this discussion, it seems lowering corporate taxes(which Ryan wants) would create more jobs than giving a tax break to the upper tier. Wouldn't you agree?
Originally Posted by eh76
needs to be done....cut off the welfare teat....those on welfare can perform some useful task as community service...I am tired of the leaches we support.

I completely agree but I'm also for cutting off funding to support the unilateral wet dreams of our politicians.
His plan won,t generate enough money to run government.
Same problem George Bush got us into when he cut taxes.
Programs need to be cut, then make changes to tax system,
not before. Military budget should be on the table along
with everything else. Flat tax hurts poor and makes
the rich richer. But on the other hand we have to many
low income not paying anything. Their no such thing as a free ride. They need to have skin in the game even if its
5 percent.
Just to refresh a few memories here, about 48% of the middle to lower wage earners currently pay no federal taxes. In fact some get a check from the feds in the form of an earned income tax credit.

The "core" of Ryan's plan will pit the "producers" against the "takers". It will be a battle against telling the public the truth vs. dealing with the lying media and dimocrats.

The end game is upon us. The Nov. 6 election will either commit us to generations of misery or a chance to crawl back from the cliff.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are wrong. (but you already knew that)
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

The end game is upon us. The Nov. 6 election will either commit us to generations of misery or a chance to crawl back from the cliff.

That is well spoken. That is exactly the message that the Republicans need to start hammering home in advertisements, right now.
Repeat it, over and over. Force Obama to defend his record, and his "non existent plan" to save America.
Originally Posted by Anaconda

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are wrong. (but you already knew that)

I'm listening,...
An unaltered Ryan budget plan is a moot point. They won't go with it, as is.

If they did ... Hussein would win by the same margin as in 2008.

I like Ryan as Romney's pick for VP but his budget, at face value, is far too complex for average voter to appreciate. It's a radical change and people don't like change and even more so, radical changes.

Sorry, but that's my two cents.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm for paying 0% income taxes.

But if you really want to get into this discussion, it seems lowering corporate taxes(which Ryan wants) would create more jobs than giving a tax break to the upper tier. Wouldn't you agree?

no....putting more money in people's pockets....or small businesses cash registers, since most are Sub S or LLCs and don't pay corporate tax rates....will get it spent and generate jobs and economic activity far better than hiring more federal bureaucrats and all the other things gov't would do with it.
If Obama had a budget we could compare.
Unfortunately a true observation. I try and talk to co workers about Obama and the budget, monetization of the debt and their eyes glaze over. They spend hours though talking about fantasy football teams.

All have post grad educations

Originally Posted by fish head
An unaltered Ryan budget plan is a moot point. They won't go with it, as is.

If they did ... Hussein would win by the same margin as in 2008.

I like Ryan as Romney's pick for VP but his budget, at face value, is far too complex for average voter to appreciate. It's a radical change and people don't like change and even more so, radical changes.

Sorry, but that's my two cents.

no....putting more money in people's pockets....or small businesses cash registers, since most are Sub S or LLCs and don't pay corporate tax rates....will get it spent and generate jobs and economic activity far better than hiring more federal bureaucrats and all the other things gov't would do with it.

So it would stand to reason giving the middle class taxpayers a 30% income tax cut, like the top tier would get, would be a tremendous boost for the economy as well.

Is that what Ryan is proposing?

Hey, I'm in it for me. Whoever will let me keep more of my money gets my support.
Our defense cuts arent $55m per year....its 55billion. We spend $1b every 2 days on the mideast turmoil. Our budget is annually $535b for defense.

If Romney pays 14% taxes on a theoretical bracket of 35% what does he pay on Ryans 25% bracket? Does Ryan eliminate all of mitts loopholes?

If you want business to hire how about not giving em a tax break for nothing...how about giving em a tax break when they show a bigger payroll?
Romney's income is mostly capital gains, which aren't taxed at the same rates. Your capital gains, if you have any, are taxed at exactly the same rate as Mitt's.

kraky wants the government to micromanage individual businesses even more than they do now, apparently.
Maybe Ryan will tell us how much a year in interest we have to pay the banker owners of the federal reserve for money they have printed up for us to borrow from them since China won't lend us more, but I doubt it.
Romneys tax return for one year is 500 pages long...Id say hes got loopholes!
During the debates he said capitol gains should be 10%....
Again Paul Ryan whats fair for Mitt to pay?
Ryan was one of 4 who voted against a balanced budget amendment; this is going to bite him in the azz.
Romney's income is mostly capital gains, which aren't taxed at the same rates. Your capital gains, if you have any, are taxed at exactly the same rate as Mitt's.

kraky wants the government to micromanage individual businesses even more than they do now, apparently.

That's why Mitt does not want to release his tax returns. Most people won't understand the difference between income and capital gains. The dems will hammer on the percentage rate.

FoxNews.com

With Rep. Paul Ryan selected as Mitt Romney's running mate, voters will be hearing a lot about the so-called "Ryan" plan.

So what is it?

Though each party has strong feelings about what Ryan's controversial budget proposal entails, here are a few highlights. Just the facts:

The latest full-scale version of the plan, unveiled in March, vows to cut spending by $5 trillion over the next decade, compared against President Obama's plan.

The plan would, a decade from now, give seniors the option of taking a government payment to purchase health insurance. That payment could be used to buy a private insurance plan, or go toward the traditional Medicare plan. The plan calls for extra assistance to help low-income beneficiaries and those with "greater health risks."

The plan would overhaul Medicaid by turning it into a block grant system for states.

The plan would cut the corporate tax rate from 35 percent to 25 percent. It would implement two individual income tax brackets -- 10 percent and 25 percent.

Any of the tax loopholes eliminated?
The reads Ive seen say about half of Romneys income is capitol gains. There is bad news in those returns via aggressive deductions and that is why he doesnt want to release. They know multiple agressive deductions and putting you money out of country WILL NOT go over with the average tax payer. Especially when you have gone on record wanting them lowered more.
Originally Posted by kraky111

for you commies, a loophole is anything that the government doesn't steal

you guys just hate people who make more money than you do, and want the government to steal it from them to even it up, and compensate for your inadequacies. it won't help....and the money won't ever make it down to you anyway.
Never said i hated the rich or Romney...Im very comfortable in my own skin and Im not a commie either. No one should screw the country whether they are a welfare cheat OR a tax cheat.
There's a reason why there's 70,000 pages of tax code and it ain't for the little guy's benefit.

Please ... tell me where I'm wrong in this line of thought.

FWIW, I do not favor an across the board tax increase on wealthy Americans. I rather see real tax reform in all areas.

I've come to the conclusion that there will never be any tax income tax changes that will be consider "fair". If you could get just one half of voters behind any plan you'd be doing good.
Here is hoping you don't take a deduction for interest paid on a home loan. They can close that loophole anytime.

you guys just hate people who make more money than you do, and want the government to steal it from them to even it up, and compensate for your inadequacies. it won't help....and the money won't ever make it down to you anyway.

Your commie reply is really wearing thin these days. Every time tax inequities are brought out you fall on that martyr's sword. The tax system has working folks giving over more of their money than the wealthy by a simple classification of income. Bring in loopholes and ya got individuals and corporations establishing offshore shell ownership by trademarks and property rights for no other reason than to pay no tax at all. When that gets flushed out then you can call something a plan.
And will if they get enough commies and mental midgets to support it.
Its pretty simple...if you are gonna tell the American people you want to run their country and some of you are gonna pay 25%.....you better not be making $21,000,000 and tell them you should be paying 10-15%.
Thats a REAL TOUGH ARGUMENT TO WIN!
Maybe it can be done....but wow Im dieing to see how.
it's an insidious game our tax code, and I think both sides of the aisle have had a hand in it.

It's freakin bullchit and we just stand here and swallow it like all the other bullchit those thieving bastids in DC do.

I like the 10 and 25 plan, hell I'd even offer the olive branch and accept Obama's 250K rich guy threshold. Just to see something positive happen towards reducing our debt and deficit spending. Face it a true 25% absent loopholes would have most Sub S and LLC's paying a higher tax than they do currently.

but it should be a true 10% for everyone that receives a check and another poster was correct, if they get rid of mortgage interest deduction a lot of those 10%'ers are gonna squeal!

I also like the idea if you're gonna give tax breaks it should be for how many folks you have on payroll.

but figure on politics as usual, that's how we got in this mess, both sides afraid to do anything the other side proposes that might actually do our country some good.
Its pretty simple...if you are gonna tell the American people you want to run their country and some of you are gonna pay 25%.....you better not be making $21,000,000 and tell them you should be paying 10-15%.
Our forefathers died financing a revolution and a free country to pay much less, and developed the richest country in the worlds history in the process, and the richest poor on the earth.
I'm for the Fair Tax.
Queers and commies aren't.
Originally Posted by eyeball
Our forefathers died financing a revolution and a free country to pay much less, and developed the richest country in the worlds history in the process, and the richest poor on the earth.

Yep a bunch of those freedom fighting forefathers were slave owners. Ironic ain't it. Not much difference in principle with the wealthy today.
Originally Posted by SAcharlie

Yep a bunch of those freedom fighting forefathers were slave owners. Ironic ain't it. Not much difference in principle with the wealthy today.

Must be tough in your world--where everyone and everything with any flaw is valueless.

BMT
Originally Posted by BMT

Must be tough in your world--where everyone and everything with any flaw is valueless.

BMT

I know GREED is no VIRTUE! Look up the def. for virtue.
Its good to know that you are perfect, I will just do what you tell me to.

BMT

FoxNews.com

So what is it?

Ryan's budget plan doesn't mean chit. As VP, assuming Romney can pull it off, which is a huge assumption, his boss will submit his budget to congress for funding, not Ryan.

True, but it is a key element in human nature, even yours. Capitalism harnesses that.

Which ideology do you see as the best for a society?
Originally Posted by Raisuli
Ryan's budget plan doesn't mean chit. As VP, assuming Romney can pull it off, which is a huge assumption, his boss will submit his budget to congress for funding, not Ryan.

Romney has stated from day one that he supports and wants the Ryan plan. Most Republicans do.

The point behind the OP is merely to get the facts out there and clear as there will be lie after lie by the opposition about the Ryan plan.

Most clearly seen by the recent ad showing grandma getting wheeled off of a cliff.
Originally Posted by HugAJackass

Romney has stated from day one that he supports and wants the Ryan plan. Most Republicans do.

The point behind the OP is merely to get the facts out there and clear as there will be lie after lie by the opposition about the Ryan plan.

Most clearly seen by the recent ad showing grandma getting wheeled off of a cliff.

Baby Huey,

How in God's name do you know what Romney really supports? You don't. You do have priors for making stuff up.

How do you what what "the facts" are? You don't. You just make stuff up.

You need to have your neocon v-card yanked. You ought not be allowed to vote.

I see some need to be reminded of this blog post:

Understanding How Class Warfare Fails to Solve Our U.S. Debt Problems

Looking at 2008 IRS report of income taxes:

The top 1% of individual tax payers earned roughly 20% of all reported AGI (adjusted gross income). Let�s break that down shall we? The implication is that if you are lucky enough to be in the top 1% of earners of taxable AGI, that means you should be able to afford to pay more taxes to help out the less fortunate right?

There�s one problem� when you take a number like that, you�re hiding behind a percentage.

The top 1% of tax payers is roughly 1.4 million people. To qualify for the �top 1%� group, you�d have to earn roughly $385,000 AGI annually.

What You Should Know is that the top 1% of income earners paid a total of 38% of all individual federal income tax revenue ($410,898,035,220.00 or $411 Billion of 1.1 Trillion collected in individual federal tax revenues for 2008).

Now if you take in the top 50% of income earners (which includes both the top 1%) They paid 97.3% of all individual federal income tax revenues. If you take out the 38% of all revenues from the top 1%, the remaining 49% of top 50% earners� pay 59% of all individual federal tax revenues. And who are these dastardly high earners of the �above average earners�? Why they�re the folks that earn somewhere between $384,000 and $33,000 (that�s not a typo, that�s $33,000). If you earn $33,000 you�re part of the �above average pay� crowd. Maybe we should be taxing you more too right? And what of that bottom 50% that pays only 2.7% of all individual AGI tax revenues? They(about 70 million) contribute to 12.75% of all reported taxable AGI (which is $720Billion of the 5+ Trillion of taxable AGI in 2008)

So� say we ignore the Laffer Curve all together and decide that we should tax the top 1%� at 100% of earned of AGI (adjustable gross income). That would take us (based on 2008 revenues reported) to a total of federal income tax revenues to roughly a WHOPPING $1.85 Trillion. (The hell you say? We gain only a total of $750 Billion? Yeah, that�s what I�m saying).

So here are the real numbers: 20% of all individual taxable income is $1,130,463,019,000.00 according to the 2008 numbers IRS reported income. That�s a large number so I�ll shorten it for you� that�s $1.1 Trillion. Another way to look at it is there is roughly $5+ Trillion in total reported individual adjusted gross income of all individual tax payers, all tax brackets of the which $5+ Trillion is taxable, 20% of that ($1.1 Trillion) is earned by individuals in the top 1%.

Here�s the problem with our hypothetical situation of taxing the top 1% at 100% of total Adjusted Gross Income, we will barely cover our annual spending deficit that bounces between $1.3 to $1.5 Trillion.

Now if we get back to reality and understand the simple concept behind the Laffer Curve� I ask are you willing to see what happens when the top 1% of earners pay 100% of adjusted gross income�?

If so� maybe I should restate the gain of doing such an inane action: That $750 Billion that we would �potentially� gain� will go to paying roughly .051% of the principal of our total debt $14 Trillion (supposing we�d actually attempt to pay down the debt)� But rather� what would likely happen is the politicians would see this new $750 Billion in revenue as an opportunity to �spread the wealth�. They�d trumpet long and loud about a �budget surplus�.

You see� there�s but one way to reduce our debt� which is to do each of the following: cut entitlement spending, cap non-discretionary spending, and increase revenues.

In order to cap deficit spending its going to require some honest folks to pull up their adult pants, and cut entitlement programs that will force people to stop relying on the government when its not necessary {and that doesn�t include social security or medicare}.

In addition� to grow revenues, you should attempt to grow GDP, not bleed a dry turnip (as suggested above by raising the taxes on the rich). To do so, We�ll need some attractive business incentives to do more business in the United States, including reducing tax burdens on corporations and the top 1%. Also enacting policies that reduce the cost to do business in America.

Now I know its not the popular thing to do� well at least not with President Obama, because he�d like to point out that CEO�s with lots of money (presumably members of the top 1%) like to fly around in their private jet planes, and therefore should be able to afford more taxes. May I ask you Mr. President, how many golf games have you played during your administration, and how many of those games required you to fly out of Washington D.C. to the location?

Now if you want to play class warfare with the top 1% of earners� be my guest� but let me just say, I think its really a lame attempt at envy� or a calculated political lie meant to create division among the people, and to galvanize political support.

{Begin sarcasm}Dang those millionaires� how dare they earn so much, they don�t earn enough for us to pay our debts, or even our deficits� but DAMN THEM TO HELL for not giving away all of their income to poor people!!!{End Sarcasm}

Invective is lame� class warfare is lame� and being asinine about facts is lame. However, being a divisive, arrogant, hypocritical President� that�s just reckless self promotion.

And this analysis taxing the top tier at 100% of later fiscal year (2010).

Krugman and Robert Reich's Tax Deception

Robert Reich and Paul Krugman are preeminent mainstream-media mouthpieces of the redistributionist welfare state. They constantly disseminate the myths that the rich don�t pay their fair share of taxes, and Congress is about to �slash taxes on the very rich�.

Yet they never attack the real source of America�s problems, crony capitalism, the economic foundation of the welfare state in which rich and poor alike are partners in crime with the government to rip off their fellow Americans. Reich and Krugman also propagate the myth that America�s deficit and economic problems could be eliminated simply by raising taxes on �the rich� and spending the new revenue on bigger government.

First, no one (unfortunately) is suggesting �slashing� tax rates for anyone. The question on the table for Congress to consider is whether it will dramatically increase tax rates next year�tax rates that have been on the books for almost a decade now�by permitting automatically scheduled rate hikes to take effect. Unless Congress acts to override this trigger, it willfully will be allowing the largest tax increase in history to go into effect. If Congress acts to maintain current tax rates, it won�t be cutting taxes by a dollar; it will simply be preserving the status quo and preventing a huge tax increase from occurring.

Interestingly, the Reich-Krugman logic on taxes doesn�t seem to apply in Washington on the spending side. The minute the Super Committee failed to come up with the $1.5 trillion in deficit reduction measures required by the debt deal passed earlier this year, Members of Congress on both sides of the aisle began talking about switching off and rejiggering the $1.2 trillion in automatic sequester cuts that were triggered by the Super Committee�s failure to complete its task in order to avoid automatic spending cuts they don�t like. Yet, no one in Washington is using Reich-Krugman logic to bewail a �spending increase� produced by switching off or reconfiguring the sequester.

Krugman and Reich similarly torture the English language and distort tax statistics to promote the double-barrel fallacy that we both can solve the deficit problem and increase economic growth by raising taxes on the top one percent of income earners and spending the money on bigger government. Reich puts it this way:

�Put more money into the pockets of average Americans [by] extending unemployment benefits. Don�t stop there. Create a WPA to get the long-term unemployed back to work. And a Civilian Conservation Corp to create jobs for young people. Hire teachers for classrooms now overcrowded, and pay them enough to attract people who are talented as well as dedicated. Rebuild our pot-holed highways. Create a world-class infrastructure. Pay for this by hiking taxes on millionaires.�

Krugman and Reich also ridicule dynamic revenue estimation, which is based on empirical research demonstrating that lower marginal tax rates increase economic growth and in turn produce more revenues over the long run. The professors insist on pretending that people and businesses placidly pay higher tax rates without reducing work effort, saving, investing and entrepreneurial risk taking.

Krugman starts from the premise that, �The top 0.1 percent of taxpayers � roughly speaking, people with annual incomes over $2 million � had a combined income of more than a trillion dollars.� Without ever so much as a nod toward evidence or logical rigor, he jumps to the conclusion: �That�s a lot of money, and it wouldn�t be hard to devise taxes that would raise a significant amount of revenue from those super-high-income individuals.�

Oh really? Well, let�s see.

Federal income tax data from 2010 reveals that if the government had confiscated all the remaining income ($1.293 trillion) of the top one percent on top of their 2010 tax payments, it still would not have been enough to eliminate the deficit ($1.294 trillion). And, how much of those people�s income would exist to be confiscated in year two? The congressional Joint Committee on Taxation (JCT), which insists on statically scoring such tax increases, may conclude the top one percent would sit still and allow their income to be confiscated repeatedly into the future, but not many people with any common sense would agree.

The absolute absurdity of static revenue analysis was best illustrated in 1988 when former Senator Robert Packwood (R-OR), then ranking Republican on the Senate Finance Committee, requested the JCT to estimate what would happen if the federal government levied a 100 percent tax on all income over $200,000 annually. The JCT revenue estimators cranked up their static-revenue-estimating machine and concluded that such a confiscatory tax would raise $104 billion the first year, $204 billion the second year, $232 billion the third year, and $263 billion and $299 billion in the fourth and fifth years, respectively. Senator Packwood pointed out the irrationality of the JCT�s assumptions when he observed that its calculation �assumes people will work if they have to pay all their money to the Government. They will work forever and pay all of the money to the Government when clearly anyone in their right mind will not.�

OK, so let�s loosen the absurd assumption. What about doubling the effective (average) tax rate of the top one percent, i.e., raising their overall tax rate to 47 percent? That would raise about $392 billion, leaving a deficit of $900 billion. Not so easy, it turns out, to cut the deficit and spend more money by raising taxes on the one percent.

What about also doubling the tax rate on the top 10 percent, everyone earning more than $113,799? That would raise revenues by about an additional trillion dollars in the first year, leaving a deficit of about $300 billion. But notice, now we are talking about doubling the tax burden of everyone earning slightly more than $100,000, not exactly �the rich.�

That group, however, constitutes the investment core of the economy. Doubling their tax burden to increase government�s revenues by a trillion dollars would have siphoned almost 56 percent of the $1.7 trillion in gross domestic private investment (net of residential structures) that occurred last year. And that is supposed to be the road to economic recovery?

Does anyone seriously believe that kind of tax increase would not drastically lower economic growth in future years? Paul Krugman and Robert Reich must�that or they are deceiving their readers in pursuit of an agenda of envy and class warfare, not prosperity for all.

True, but it is a key element in human nature, even yours. Capitalism harnesses that.

Which ideology do you see as the best for a society?

Don't see anything wrong with Capitalism. Harnessing the majority of the populace thru the tax system for the pleasure of the Wealthy has nothing to do with Capitalism.
The wealthy pay more taxes in one year than you have your entire adult years,wingnut. Does stupid actually hurt,Chuckles?
At least Ryan HAS a budget plan unlike, um..................
So the way it sounds, everyone needs to make sacrifices except the top 1% who will not need to sacrifice anything and in fact will get to keep more money.

....yeah, that plan will fly.
The wealthy pay more taxes in one year than you have your entire adult years,wingnut. Does stupid actually hurt,Chuckles?

That statement is way below your's and my education. You must still be asleep.
Really? How many of this nation's working class are employed by those 1%ers? While we're at it,can you tell me the name of any 1%ers who you personally know who haven't paid any taxes?

Where do you talking point kids get this crap you spew,aside from OWS cookouts?
I think we've witnessed the end of the GOP this year.

It just doesn't learn.

For 2012, the GOP selects for its candidate,...a corporate raider,.. and his veep,..a medicare/social security raider.
Really? How many of this nation's working class are employed by those 1%ers? While we're at it,can you tell me the name of any 1%ers who you personally know who haven't paid any taxes?

Your blather of disinformation is wearing mighty thin.
Laffin...

Still haven't educated yourself on Ryan's plan,I see. I understand though,that requires effort.

Your blather of disinformation is wearing mighty thin.

========

Prove it wrong taker-man or quit your fool's blathering. It's embarrassing to read your constant buffoonery.

Again, you're saying everyone except the top 1% needs to make sacrifices.

I'm not too willing to pay anymore than I already do unless everyone else does and it better be proportionate. You can argue your points until your blue in the face but it doesn't change the fact you think you deserve to get a break making $500k a year while you want the rest of us making less than $100k to ante up.

Ain't gonna fly.
While you're at it,comrade chuckles,why don't you enlighten us as to what you do for a living. Does it require a spatula?
Again, you're saying everyone except the top 1% needs to make sacrifices.
=========

Maybe it really is reading comprehension that's at the crux of the problem. I never said any such thing. In fact,I said quite the opposite. Try again. Shall I repeat the question?
Bristoe that bus full of Nuns chasing them around ain't doing em any good either.laugh
Rex...please tell me how you think one making 500K a year doesn't pay taxes. I mean,really man...I'm dying to read your evidence behind that HS.

Ryan's budget is already Romney's platform, dumbass.
You might not have directly said that but you were inferring it.

When you strip away all your rhetoric, what you're really saying is you want us lowly people to pay more and for you and the rest of the top 1% to pay less.
all this "fair share" horseshit would be a lot easier to swallow if the top earners weren't already pulling the wagon for everybody else. Top one percent pay 37%, top five percent pay 59% of all personal income tax. So it would be nice if the other 95% at least had the decency to say thanks for covering my bills instead of whining for more.
No,I want all to participate. Why should I contribute my money to the pockets of the 40+% of the country who don't contribute to the Federal tax system?

I still await any factual evidence of your positions,especially the 500K vs 90K wage earners.

So the way it sounds, everyone needs to make sacrifices except the top 1% who will not need to sacrifice anything and in fact will get to keep more money.

I knew wealthy people, they should keep all their money. Have you, or anyone you know, ever made a $2.4 million donation to fund a children's hospital? How about being a major contributor to every hospital in a major city. How about a friend of the person I knew that made a $32 million dollar donation to build a completely new hospital as a memorial to her late husband? Have you funded scholarships? Have you or anyone you know funded the arts, symphony halls, performing arts centers and museums? Endowed parks acquisitions, established foundations for medical research, established annuities for long term employees, paid for medical care of employees and their families faced with catastrophic illness? If not you are part of the problem. That individual employed over 40 full time positions on just one of her estates, with others being employed on ranches, farms and in her property management firm, how many do you employ? Don't sit around criticizing the wealthy, it was your responsibility to make something of your life so you too could contribute to society. Better the wealthy have the money to practice philanthropy than the government waste resources buying favors and reaping kickbacks. Just where did all that Solyndra money go?

End of rant.
Rex...please tell me how you think one making 500K a year doesn't pay taxes. I mean,really man...I'm dying to read your evidence behind that HS.

Under Romney/Ryan's plan, are you going to pay more or less?

Under that plan, what do the rest of us get?

I want to keep my money just as much as you do whether it's in tax breaks today or in future benefits from SS/Medicare. If I need to make sacrifices, so do you.

Once the budget and economy is in better shape, I would be more than willing to support a more equitable income tax plan.
The top 0.001% are the ones who have their wealth shielded from income tax by such things as incorporating it and sheltering it in tax-exempt foundations. Regarding the latter, take a gander at a copy of the Dodd Report of the 1950s.
.... Why should I contribute my money to the pockets of the 40+% of the country who don't contribute to the Federal tax system?

I don't think you should but I sure as hell don't want that burden falling on me and if taxes are cut for the top 1%, that revenue is going to be made up somewhere.

One first step would be to start taxing the retained income of foundations with assets over half a billion dollars or so....which would be particularly sweet since they are such big supporters of commie causes. Think Ford, Pew, Rockefeller, the Harvard endowment......now there's a tax increase we can all get behind.

Baby Huey,

How in God's name do you know what Romney really supports? You don't. You do have priors for making stuff up.

How do you what what "the facts" are? You don't. You just make stuff up.

You need to have your neocon v-card yanked. You ought not be allowed to vote.

Well, Romney has stated from day one that he wants the Ryan plan. That's a matter of public record and a...... gasp!........ fact!

A liar like yourself trying to accuse somebody else of making things up is hilarious. Back it up! Find one post where I am just making things up.

Again the fake liberty lover calling for the removal of others liberties! That sounds exactly like a liberal to me...
One first step would be to start taxing the retained income of foundations with assets over half a billion dollars or so....which would be particularly sweet since they are such big supporters of commie causes. Think Ford, Pew, Rockefeller, the Harvard endowment......now there's a tax increase we can all get behind.
+1
.... Why should I contribute my money to the pockets of the 40+% of the country who don't contribute to the Federal tax system?

I don't think you should but I sure as hell don't want that burden falling on me and if taxes are cut for the top 1%, that revenue is going to be made up somewhere.

It doesn't have to be made up. First, tax cuts, especially for the wealthy, stimulate investment and increase tax revenue. Second, if revenues fall, then government should shrink accordingly. The government is a poor investment for future economic growth. The wealthy drive the economy out of self-interest, provide an expanding employment base and create wealth and prosperity across the board.

=================

You're in real estate sales and enjoy extraordinary tax deductions. Assuming you make 150K or less,tell me again how you'd be paying more under Ryan's plan.
Personally, I'd rather see us cut the Dept of Ed., Homeland Security, TSA, all foreign aid and Congressional pensions to get a tax cut rather than finding someone else we can tax.
Doesn't matter. The way the libs have us going, no one will be getting anything other than the govt. aristocracy behind the financial collapse they have designed for us, aided by well meaning stupid libs who are too dumb to realize that overspending by more than a trillion a year won't last long. When it all comes tumbling down and martial law prevails to reduce the population the dumb [bleep] will still be wondering why we don't just tax the rich and Exxon a little more to pay off the debt and keep the party going.
Personally, I'd rather see us cut the Dept of Ed., Homeland Security, TSA, all foreign aid and Congressional pensions to get a tax cut rather than finding someone else we can tax.
+1

You're in real estate sales and enjoy extraordinary tax deductions. Assuming you make 150K or less,tell me again how you'd be paying more under Ryan's plan.

Color me skeptical but I really don't believe this fairy tell that everyone will pay less and we'll magically balance the budget.

The burden is going to fall somewhere and it sure as hell can't be made up by the lower tier who don't make very much to begin with. That pretty much leaves me and the rest of the middle income folks who actually pay taxes.
That isn't a answer to my question,at all. You would benefit far much moreso than I would,depending upon the full extent of loopholes,investment benefits etc. on the chopping block.

I'd like a honest answer to my question,which I know you'll provide if you feel comfortable answering...in general terms.

Your own profession and the benefits you reap belie your own positions asserted here this morning.
Doesn't matter. The way the libs have us going, no one will be getting anything other than the govt. aristocracy behind the financial collapse they have designed for us, aided by well meaning stupid libs who are too dumb to realize that overspending by more than a trillion a year won't last long. When it all comes tumbling down and martial law prevails to reduce the population the dumb [bleep] will still be wondering why we don't just tax the rich and Exxon a little more to pay off the debt and keep the party going.

Lest you forgot, the GOP spends at about the same clip as the libs and under Bush the federal government grew by the largest percentage since FDR.

If the libs plan is to destroy us from within, the GOP ain't far behind.

[Linked Image]
The only way the Wealthy class has ever expanded the employment base is by the wars they create and the prisons they build. Been that way since the beginning and I don't see it ending.
That isn't a answer to my question,at all. You would benefit far much moreso than I would,depending upon the full extent of loopholes,investment benefits etc. on the chopping block.

I'd like a honest answer to my question,which I know you'll provide if you feel comfortable answering...in general terms.

Your own profession and the benefits you reap belie your own positions asserted here this morning.

Dammit Bob, you really need to figure out that quote thing so I know which post you're referring to.*grin*

As for the Romney/Ryan plan, if I really do stand to pay less taxes, that certainly will grab my attention and probably my vote. I just know from history, someone is going to get screwed and it usually ain't the top dogs.
The only way the Wealthy class has ever expanded the employment base is by the wars they create and the prisons they build. Been that way since the beginning and I don't see it ending.

I didn't know that the Rockefellers and Rothschilds operated a secret prison construction cabal.

Wow
The only way the Wealthy class has ever expanded the employment base is by the wars they create and the prisons they build.
============

You're a complete and utter dumbass. Folks who choose to be intentionally intellectually dishonest are completely worthless and unworthy of anything but the ridicule you constantly receive. What a POS loser.
Darn, I thought it was building highways. Also, I thought that was to benefit working people. I guess many like Suck ass feel that is exploitation and it's better to send them a check and food stamps at home. It cuts down on traffic if they don't have to go to work.
Dammit Bob, you really need to figure out that quote thing so I know which post you're referring to.*grin*

As for the Romney/Ryan plan, if I really do stand to pay less taxes, that certainly will grab my attention and probably my vote. I just know from history, someone is going to get screwed and it usually ain't the top dogs.
==========

Sorry about that. So that I understand,are you saying if Obama's plan/budget (if ever it happens) saves you 1K a year over Ryan's plan...nevermind,I don't want your answer and get myself all flustered and foaming before the Aerosmith concert.
Ryan gives a good speech,...but if you boil it down, he's just more of the same.

http://www.rlc.org/2012/08/11/the-paul-ryan-record/
How many times has Ryan voted to raise the debt ceiling?
I'll engage once you read and understand Ryan's plan,as fully supported by Rand Paul. Addressing talking points mired in guesses and suppositions isn't fun any longer.
Yea, let's vote O to pay a grand less in taxes and then pay an extra $2400 in 'penalties' and mandates, double our gas prices and food prices and electric prices, etc.
I'll engage once you read and understand Ryan's plan,as fully supported by Rand Paul.

Rand Paul is nobody to me.
So that I understand,are you saying if Obama's plan/budget (if ever it happens) saves you 1K a year over Ryan's plan...nevermind,I don't want your answer and get myself all flustered and foaming before the Aerosmith concert.

If I don't buy Ryan's fairy tell, I sure as hell don't buy Obama's.

Have a good time at your concert!
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I'll engage once you read and understand Ryan's plan,as fully supported by Rand Paul.

Rand Paul is nobody to me.

lol

Yeah Rand sure ain't his Daddy.

Maybe the milkman made an unexpected visit back in the day.
I don't see how I can have a good time. I don't drink and I'm going with 7 others who'll need a designated driver to get to the frikken concert. That's where my fortune has taken me...straight to the bottom of Aerosmith concert Hell.
lolol
If I don't buy Ryan's fairy tell
==========

What's the Fairy Tale about it,other than he's the only one with the energy,conviction and motivation to put forth one?
The fairy tale is,..it's implemented over a 10 year span.

There's not 10 years left.

Ryan's stuff is pie in the sky designed to appeal to those who don't understand the scope of our fiscal situation.

To right the ship, a radical reduction in the size of government must be implemented yesterday.

I know that's not going to happen, but there's no reason to talk about 5 trillion in cuts over 10 years.

That's just a feel good speech.
I'm just glad to be wrong about Ohio...and right about Wisconsin. smile
If I don't buy Ryan's fairy tell
==========

What's the Fairy Tale about it,other than he's the only one with the energy,conviction and motivation to put forth one?

We are talking about the same man who supported and voted for TARP as well as voted to raise the debt ceiling aren't we? Doesn't give me the warm and tinglies to believe him much now.

I remember a couple years ago debating you on his debt plan at the time and I'm pretty sure I was correct when I said it would do nothing and go nowhere. Of course, bonehead Bohner certainly didn't help but Ryan sure seemed more than willing to compromise everything away.
93% of TARP has been paid back with extraordinary interest gains. You'll have to think of something that's a bit more solid than that.
[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eZsH-00hs5g[/video]
I recall taking an senior level economics class while at Arizona State 25 years ago. The professor (who is probably dead by now) said that because on the age demographics of the nation (the baby boomers - which I am a part of), that with Social Security and Medicare and Medicaide, we (as a nation) had a big problem looming on the horizon as there will be more people getting these benefits than there are paying into the system. It was a bubble, it was it growing, and at some point, it was gonna pop. Well, that day has come. Over time, we (as a nation) have been also been making it easier for people (say, aliens) get benefits from these same programs. So, as President Lincoln once said, "there are too many pigs, not enough teats."
The three biggest consumers of our national budget are SS, Medicare/Medicaide, and the Pentagon. They completely eclipse everything else combined. So taxing the wealthy and 1% (like the liberals say we should do) ain't gonna fix nothing.
So if we are going to fix our debt problem, we better have a plan to reduce, somehow and to some degree and in some fashion (everybody will have an opinion of what and where - I don't want to go that direction with this topic right now), these three budget things. To not do so is to be reaaranging chairs on a ship that is going down and arguing what will be on the menu.
That said, obummer has no plan to fix any of it. I personnaly believe he is the worst president the nation has ever had. True, he didn't necessarily get us to this situation by himself - the can has been kicked around for a long time now (as my economics professor said was happening), but he has made matters much worse.
I think Ryan's plan is the best one anybody has come up with. It will be painful. A reduction in SS and Medicare benefits will hit me personally. Oh well. I iwould rather it be SS and Medicare than national defense (although they gotta tighten and prioritize their budget too). I guess my parents and grandparents and other aged relaitives got from me what I won't be getting. Life sucks at times, but that is the way it goes. I fugure everybody is going to have to take a bite of this sh__ sandwich and pass it down the line. No sniveling and whinning. But let's fix this. The liberals have no plan to fix it - they are too busy giving away more programs to the leeches of society trying to get their vote and using our national credit card (which is about maxed out) to do so.
If I were the president, I would pass a law making everyone in America everything pay a flat tax. Rich, poor, everybody. That way everyone would have skin in the game to make their lives better and make this country better. That is what made America great - self intitative and hard work. I would get rid of SS and medicare/medicaide. I would make everyone be responsible for themselves instead of relying on government and their ponzi schemes.
Go Ryan and Romney. They will not save us, but they are going the direction we as a nation should be going. The POS obummer and the idiot Biden, and the democraps have no clue and no plan, so for them to pick Ryan's plan apart is pretty shi___y because they have no plan.
Ok, end of rant.
Go Romney and Ryan.
[bleep] is in charge. [bleep] rules. The present [bleep] will probably continue to rule because Romney won't be [bleep] enough to get him kicked out.
good post flagstaff, your econ prof was a smart man indeed, evidently he owned a calculator.

there's some here that don't think DOD spending should be touched, and while I'm a strong proponent of a strong military, I can't stand to see all the fat that goes with the muscle of our current military.

for us to truly "fix" our budget woes would take a strong leader, one that's not interested in winning a popularity contest which is what our elections have become.

a strong leader would propose cutting SS, Medicare, Defense and eliminating entirely some .gov Depts that while in the abstract may have been a worthy ideal, the truth of the matter is we just can't afford them right now. Course it will be met with the refrain "we can't afford NOT to have _________ (fill in the blank, social programs or defense programs)

he'd also advocate that everyone pay a bit more tax for awhile, the 1% ers and the 99% ers.

thus his core constituency would be a handful of Americans that own calculators, know how to use them and are intellectually honest enough to admit we're in deep kimchee.

course he'd have me at the promotion of all of the above, but I'd certainly have more respect for him if he'd also advocate eliminating entirely the pensions and benefits of all past and current members of Congress that are alone responsible for creating this mess and that anyone working in DC in any gov't capacity will work for 35K per year and no benefits of any kind.
If it' patriotic for Americans to pay taxes, I'm convinced it'd be extremely patriotic for everyone in DC to earn closer to the average of most Americans. Besides it seems having to learn to budget is a skill most of them need to acquire

not so much to punish these wise guys but to stimulate the economy, I'm always hearing how much more they could make in the private sector and I'm thinking if we gave them the boost that was needed to hit the private sector that all their collective brainpower turned to private enterprise would undoubtedly spur another period of Renaissance!

but a "strong leader" like that will never be elected, we as a whole don't deserve freedom and liberty, "we" as a whole just want the party to continue and will vote for whomever promotes the best "idea" promoting class warfare.
The sad truth is, though, Bristoe, that even the very moderate (and likely inadequate) Ryan plan will not likely get passed without some further watering down, since we have a Representative Republic with universal suffrage. So getting the Rand Paul plan passed instead is little more than a pipe dream.

We're likely going down the drain as a nation, but given only two choices, I'll go with the guy who seems to be trying at least to toss some kitchen scraps in there to slow down the process over the guy who wants to widen the drain hole.
I know that.

I just don't understand why someone who has been paying attention as closely as you have get's all starry eyed about the fact that a neocon golden boy has been selected as a running mate for the GOP candidate.
I know that.

I just don't understand why someone who has been paying attention as closely as you have get's all starry eyed about the fact that a neocon golden boy has been selected as a running mate for the GOP candidate.
I'm far from starry-eyed over the prospect.
I was particularly impressed with Ryan's plan to exclude anyone over 55 from the SS and other cuts he advocates... convenient since that would protect one of his prime constituencies.

I suppose what constitutes political courage nowadays ain't what it used to be. :p

And don't even get me started on his plan to grant yet another huge tax break for those who make the most. This is the new definition of 'budget hawk'. I've been one practically my whole life and for the life of me don't know how all of these 'cut now figure out how to pay for it later' tax plans are taken seriously.

The devil in in the details.

MOF it is ALL IN THE DETAILS. After election cycle after election cycle with president candidate after presidential candidate selling the same snake oil why can't we understand this? Is America really that unsalvageably stupid? Do we really believe that this time is different? That this time we really can make 2 + 3 = 4? Or in this case X minus Y still equals X?

It is a god damned crying shame that I have to state that in my adult life Bill Clinton (Bill Freakin' Clinton!!!) was the most fiscally sound president. How bad is that?

Gawd.

Will
Penguin,
With the debt and obumer's redistribution of wealth model, I suppose there are two ways to look at the coming election (because it reality, you get a choice of Romney or obummer - there is no viable third party candidate out there). If you chose obummer, the nation as we know it is doomed. The redistribution will continue, bigger government (Big Brother) to tell us what to eat, what to buy, and give us your guns to quell any possible uprising. He also has no budget plan to get us out of the drain of debt as we swirl down. In fact, I believe he has only alloweed us to gain speed.

Or you can take your chance with Romney and Ryan. I believe Ryan has a plan, although not near strong enough for my likes.

I suppose you could just not vote too as an option. That doesn't get you anywhere though as it says I am too chicken to make the decision.

If you vote for obummer, I suppose it could also be viewed as letting us go down the drain, so we can then can at some point bob our head up and reemerge as a different nation. Kind of let the nation implode and pick up the pieces on the other side approach. A lot of people will probably die with this approach. Maybe a civil war of sorts, or anarchy I suppose. I could liken it to ripping the band aid off quick of a unhealed, weeping wound if you will.

Or you could chose Romney. He may slow the swirl down the drain, but he will maybe lengthen the time before we hit unevitable bottom. Maybe like slowly ripping the band aid off approach. But with the slow method, maybe the wound will heal enough to not cause as much calamity. Maybe he can slow it some, enough that the calamity isn't as bad as with the above mentioned obummer approach (let's let it implode and start from scratch again).

So I guess theer are two ways to look it it. Band aid of quick, or band aid off slow.
Originally Posted by Penguin
I was particularly impressed with Ryan's plan to exclude anyone over 55 from the SS and other cuts he advocates... convenient since that would protect one of his prime constituencies.

I suppose what constitutes political courage nowadays ain't what it used to be. :p

And don't even get me started on his plan to grant yet another huge tax break for those who make the most. This is the new definition of 'budget hawk'. I've been one practically my whole life and for the life of me don't know how all of these 'cut now figure out how to pay for it later' tax plans are taken seriously.

The devil in in the details.

MOF it is ALL IN THE DETAILS. After election cycle after election cycle with president candidate after presidential candidate selling the same snake oil why can't we understand this? Is America really that unsalvageably stupid? Do we really believe that this time is different? That this time we really can make 2 + 3 = 4? Or in this case X minus Y still equals X?

It is a god damned crying shame that I have to state that in my adult life Bill Clinton (Bill Freakin' Clinton!!!) was the most fiscally sound president. How bad is that?

Gawd.

Will

Heya Will, I hope you've been getting the goods ready for this years football pools! Really looking forward to reading the banter in that thread again!

You mentioned a phrase that always gets my attention because I believe it's predicated upon a wrong premise...

Cut now, pay for it later...

If you cut something, you're not looking to pay for it...

If I were to cut your salary by 5,000 a year, I wouldn't be looking to replace it. It's a cut. It's painful, but it is what it is, a cut.

Sadly, with baseline budgeting the norm in Washington, not giving you a raise is considered a cut.... crazy

That's what the Ryan plan is. It's not so much a cut, but a restraint on future spending of money that we don't have.

I have also noted that every time in history that taxes on business have been lowered, the National Tax revenue increases. That's straight from IRS records...

It's been said many times and in many ways that we do not have a taxation problem (though, I believe we do) we have a spending problem.

Gotta agree with that. We are spending more than we make. Cuts HAVE to be made and nobody is going to like it when the cuts hit them...

If part of that top 1% fails again we will just bail them out again.
Originally Posted by 496

If part of that top 1% fails again we will just bail them out again.
That's been standard operating procedure for a very long time. Needs to change, of course. And you're actually only talking about the top 0.001%.
Heya Will, I hope you've been getting the goods ready for this years football pools! Really looking forward to reading the banter in that thread again!

You better believe it man! I understand the football pool a lot better than present day politics.... I understand that I am not as good at the end of the season as I thought going in. :p

We'll tee it up and see whether the old Penguin has any tricks for everyone this season.

Will
Originally Posted by Penguin

So what alternative do you have? When people have planned their lives and retirements on a plan, you owe them an alternative if you plan to change it.
I am sick and tired of having the generation before me make all of these stupid economic choices and then try to clean it up on the back of mine.

You want to do away with SS and Medicare and all of the rest in it's entirety? Fine, that is another stupid decision and I suppose I'll go along with it.

But don't exclude yourselves and keep your nice nest eggs intact and try to tell me it is my duty to pay for your subsidies while mine are evil and socialist. That isn't courage it is another example of a selfish and deluded generation patting itself on the back for screwing the one in line behind it.

I say exclude no one. No grandfather clauses, no bringing it in step at a time. Any changes take place immediately. No exceptions.

Will
For those under 55 the choice of SS personal accounts is optional in his plan. Keeping SS 'as-is' is another option. I'm not sure how that compares to Romney's plan. R/R have said they are going with Romney's plan.

You want to do away with SS and Medicare and all of the rest in it's entirety? Fine, that is another stupid decision and I suppose I'll go along with it.

Ryan's plan does not get rid of SS or Medicare.
I know that.

Is there anything worth supporting in "your world"? You are one of the most negative curmudgeon I have come across in a long time.
Is there anything that looks positive or are you always a "post" away from checking out? You must have a miserable existence!
If Penguin looks to Clinton as his most notable fiscal hawk, its for two reasons. Clinton was dragged kicking and screaming (pre Monica) to sign a tax decrease. And who authored that? Newt and the gang did. Furthermore, Clinton was living in the influence of the post Reagan era supply side era.

The National Bureau of Economic Research states that the longest economic boom occurred between '82 and '99 - even into 2007.
The net worth of households and businesses increased from $20T in 1981 to $60T in 2007. More wealth was created in that 25 year period, adjusted for inflation than any other time in the previous 200 years. The average GDP was 3.4% overall and between '83-'99 it was 3.8%.

Contrast that with the present infatuation with Keynesian economics. Obama is engaged in massive government spending $5T to date in order to increase demand. Its not working folks. Business is stuck in neutral due to fear of the future: Bush Tax Rates, federal regulations (EPA) and the huge implications with Obamacare.

I see that Penguin is pizzed with solving the problems of the previous generation. Well that is the way of the world. Who does he think is going to deal with them? My question to him is: what are you doing to solve the problems before your little penguins have to deal with them?
It's going to suck, but everyone needs to give a little if we are going to get out of this mess. More people filed for SS disability than new jobs have been created in the last 4 year, mostly because they ran out of unemployment and can't jobs since they are over 55.

The only way we get out of this is with a clear budget plan that is sustainable, clean up the banks including breaking apart the super banks so there is no too big to fail, and get capitol flowing again at a reasonable rate. We also need to fix the currency issue with China and develop more cheap energy which will bring jobs.

Maybe we could see the good old days of 3% growth again, but not until we get a plan together and Guys like Ryan are what we need to lead the discussion. The alternative is a Japan/ Europe like slow death with 10%-20% unemployment and 1% growth for decades. not what I want to leave my kids.
Penguin also take issue with the 55 yoa limitation to modifications for SS and Medicare/Aide. The reason for is to allow those with 10-15 years of work left to divert some dollars into another direction. The 55 age is also designed to leave those too close to retirement age to change and to GUARANTEE that the governments promise to them will not change. Yes, Grandma will not be pushed over the cliff!

Once again people, contrast this with Obama who has no plan other than to add to the national debt and demonize the rich.
No one born before 1958 is affected by Ryan's budget proposal.
HIGH POINT, N.C. (AP) � In Paul Ryan's high-energy debut as Republican vice presidential candidate, Mitt Romney made one thing clear: His ideas rule, not his running mate's. "I have my budget plan," he said, "And that's the budget plan we're going to run on."

Link for the entire article.

http://news.yahoo.com/romney-seeks-distance-ryans-budget-plans-194311316.html
Jealousy and envy aren't virtues either.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
The wealthy pay about 25% now. I think this plan l lowers rates and reduces deductions. Is revenue neutral and should be good for the economy.

Getting the economy turned around is a lot more important than the tax rate wealthy people pay. Having them pay more provides nothing to the country except allowing the federal gov more money to waste. Tell me is that what the people want or would the rather have real jobs and prosperity? With present Obama all we get is gov waste, higher taxes an deficits and failure
© 24hourcampfire