Home
Posted By: hatari Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
People hear Trump speak of building a wall, and the most common vision is another Great Wall of China along our southern border.

That is an impossibility, and a more limey scenario is a scaled down version of Rommel's "Atlantic Wall". Even at that, the cost would be enormous, but of course the benefit is enormous.

The Atlantic Wall

Citation: C N Trueman "The Atlantic Wall"
historylearningsite.co.uk. The History Learning Site, 21 Apr 2015. 19 Jul 2016.

The Atlantic Wall was the name given to a massive coastal defensive structure built on Hitler’s orders that stretched all the way from Norway, along the Belgium and French coastline to the Spanish border. The Atlantic Wall covered a distance of 1,670 miles and it formed the main part of Hitler’s ‘Fortress Europe’. The wall was built to repulse an Allied attack on Nazi-occupied Europe – wherever it was planned for. The building of the Wall started in 1942 and ended in 1944. The building project was vast and most of it was done along the French coastline where it was assumed by the Nazi hierarchy that an Allied landing would most likely be.

Fűhrer Directive No 40, issued on March 23rd 1942, ordered the building.

Initially the building concentrated on protecting ports where U-boats and other vessels of the Kriegsmarine were based. Once this had been completed the building of the Wall started in other coastal areas. In 1944, the French part of the Atlantic Wall was heavily reinforced on the orders of Erwin Rommel who was placed in charge of improving the defences. Artillery emplacements were supported with machine gun posts and other artillery emplacements were built inland to give the Wall some form of protection when the expected Allied landings took place. Beaches along the northern coastline of France were strewn with anti-tank and anti-vehicle obstacles known as ‘Rommel’s Teeth’. Many of these had mines attached to them so that at high tide both the ‘teeth’ and the mines would not have been seen by an invading force keen to get onto the beaches. At low tide, they would have been seen and in Rommel’s planning would have been effective at delaying any advance onto the beaches. He believed that the invasion had to be stopped on the beaches. Rommel assumed that once the Allies had established a beach head the war would be lost. Six million mines were laid on beaches in Northern France.

In France to this day the building of the Atlantic Wall is controversial. Some saw the Atlantic Wall as a sign of collaboration during World War Two. “A lot of French construction companies got very rich out of building the Wall. After the war, France needed those same companies for the task of reconstruction. So no-one said anything. There was a wilful blindness, in which everyone was complicit.” Jerome Prieur.

Many thousands of French men were forced to work on the Atlantic Wall as part of an arrangement between the Vichy government and the Albert Speer’s Organisation Todt.

“There was no choice about it. We had to go. Naturally we weren’t enthusiastic, but it is not as if we had any choice. The conditions were not terrible. We weren’t beaten or anything and we got a basic wage. At the start we could go home on Sundays, but after Stalingrad they put up barbed wire and we were stuck inside the work camp. Of course we knew we were building defences for the Germans, and it felt bad. I remember at the end of the war, my two brothers came home. One had been a prisoner, the other a deportee. I felt so bad I did not want to go to the party celebrating their return. But I do think the wall should be preserved now. It is important to remember what happened – the ignominy of it all, the cataclysm that we had to endure.” (Rene-Georges Lubat)

The Atlantic Wall as an entity absorbed a huge amount of German resources. The Wall used up over 17 million cubic metres of concrete and 1.2 million tonnes of steel and the cost in France alone was 3.7 billion Deutschmarks. Had the Organisation Todt paid out a fair wage per worker per day, the cost would have been even greater. However, slave labourers cost nothing while those pressurised into working were paid a minimal wage for the work they carried out.

The most heavily constructed batteries were around the north and west coasts of France. The ‘Batterie Lindemann’, named after the captain of the ‘Bismarck’, was built near to Calais and covered the English Channel. Its primary purpose was to defend against an Allied invasion but its massive guns were also used against shipping in the Channel and against Dover itself. The ‘Batterie Lindemann’ fired 2,450 shells at targets in the Channel or against Dover or Folkestone – not for nothing was that part of Kent known as ‘Hell Fire Corner’.

Posted By: ltppowell Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
Probably won't happen at all. Maybe a facade. It doesn't matter though. Trumps our man.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
I think his wall means, patrol with A-10 Warthogs on a five mile buffer zone both north and south of the border.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
Posted By: viking Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
Don't underestimate Trump. A wall of wire and guard towers would be a good start though.
Posted By: 2fast4u2 Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16

We have interstate freeways from coast to coast with overpasses every mile.
How is it impossible to build a wall on the Mexican border?

Duh
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
Originally Posted by viking
A wall of wire and guard towers would be a good start though.

At first glance, I don't see why anything else other than that fortified by some high tech stuff maybe, would be needed. The fence could possibly be electrified to the point that it would make an attempt to climb it very unpleasant but not fatal. That way no animals or birds, especially deer, would get killed messing with it. Deer lives matter dontchaknow! laugh

Do that and hit people who employ illegals with very serious consequences and I think you solve the problem. The great wall of China is not needed.
Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to make it illegal to hire mesicans without visas? I suppose that would be too easy.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to make it illegal to hire mesicans without visas? I suppose that would be too easy.

And enforce this vigorously. No welfare or anchor babies either. miles
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
Originally Posted by milespatton

And a green card that works...
Posted By: viking Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
About every construction site around here is filled with meskins, yellow iron is run by meskins. Cleaning and landscapers are meskins.

When I was guarding banks, we as guards had to have a stellar back ground. One of my pals said he got to his post a little early one morning and the cleaning crew was still there. He asked for their identification, and was shown a Mexican DL. WTF.
Posted By: djs Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
Originally Posted by 2fast4u2

Duh

The US-Mexico border is just under 2,000 miles long and crosses canyons, rivers, swamps, etc. Yes, you can build a 2,000 wall, but at what cost? Some estimates have placed the cost at $20 billion+. But this depends on the materials used, the height of the wall, maintenance costs, etc. Also, it will be difficult to build a wall that lets river water pass through and yet keeps out border crossers.

Interstate highways follow the most desirous route and wind around obstacles and inhospitable areas. A border MUST follow the border precisely, or the US will effectively cede control of some US territory. It will be difficult and expensive to build; only fools believe that Mexico will pay for it. Also, regardless of how high it is, taller ladders will be built. There will be high maintenance costs and increased numbers of Border Patrol agents will be required.

See:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/security/systems/mexico-wall.htm

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/09/this-is-what-trumps-border-wall-could-cost-us.html
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah but mexicans will still want to come --many are here doing illegal things you know .
Bales of pot -kidnapping -robbing folks since they can't work here..
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Probably won't happen at all. Maybe a facade. It doesn't matter though. Trumps our man.

No way he's building a wall. He has a tendency to "over speak". Some folks call it lieing.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
Originally Posted by ol_mike

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah but mexicans will still want to come --many are here doing illegal things you know .
Bales of pot -kidnapping -robbing folks since they can't work here..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^BOTH OF THESE^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: dale06 Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
The wall will be virtual, consisting of military and other people and technologies that will prevent illegal crossing.

Enforcing "no hire of illegals" is a good idea, but un enforceable.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
A ma deuce placed every 880 yds, 440 yds inside the actual border, manned 24/7, with thermal spotting equipment would be just as effective, far less expensive, and send an actual message.

With the added benefit that our young men in uniform would be undeniably protecting their homeland.

You do not hear of many illegals crossing the N/S Korean border. Nor did many escape E Berlin.
Originally Posted by dale06
The wall will be virtual, consisting of military and other people and technologies that will prevent illegal crossing.

But if you coupled mandatory 2 year prison terms (for the first offense, more for repeaters) to those hiring illegals, it might have an effect.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
A ma deuce placed every 880 yds, 440 yds inside the actual border, manned 24/7, with thermal spotting equipment would be just as effective, far less expensive, and send an actual message.

With the added benefit that our young men in uniform would be undeniably protecting their homeland.

You do not hear of many illegals crossing the N/S Korean border. Nor did many escape E Berlin.

"Nor did many escape E Berlin."

But many died trying, wanting to get to a better life. The world soundly condemned E. Germany for shooting unarmed civilians; do we want to be in the same category?

Even with the tight security, about 40,000 E. Germans escaped.

see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_attempts_and_victims_of_the_inner_German_border[u][/u]
40,000 (over, how many years?) is a long way from the millions presently swarming into the country.

And it would not so much be a case of our boys murdering innocent civilians as it would be suicide by GI. The decision would be made by the idiot trying to run a gauntlet of machine gun fire.
Posted By: SakoAV Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
I gonna sign up as a volunteer to help President Trump build the wall. I've always wanted to learn masonry.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Originally Posted by ltppowell

No way he's building a wall. He has a tendency to "over speak". Some folks call it lieing.

Only those who can't spell.
Originally Posted by SakoAV
I gonna sign up as a volunteer to help President Trump build the wall. I've always wanted to learn masonry.

Who's going to teach you, donald? grin
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
Originally Posted by gunner500
I think his wall means, patrol with A-10 Warthogs on a five mile buffer zone both north and south of the border.

Now you're talkin!
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
You want to secure the border:

1. Crackdown on the companies hiring the illegals. Jail the key company officers who order and/or do it. Seize the company assets and sell them at public auction with monies being applied to the national debt.

2. Create a five mile wide DMZ type area along the border complete with minefields, no less than three full divisions of troops, artillery, air support and everything else needed to secure it as best as is humanly possible. Any thing or any one caught inside the DMZ area will be eliminated on sight.

3. Inform Mexico that if they do not stem the flow of people across the border on their side it will be considered an act of war and dealt with accordingly.

4. Declare all the drug cartels terrorist organizations and let the military loose on them.
Posted By: Middlefork_Miner Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by dale06

But if you coupled mandatory 2 year prison terms (for the first offense, more for repeaters) to those hiring illegals, it might have an effect.

I still think that seizing all physical and financial assets of both the illegals AND the people who hire them, rent to them, provide shelter for them or in any way assist them in remaining in the country illegally, would solve the problem in short order...the death penalty should also be a tool available for the prosecution of drug smugglers...
My advice to President Trump would be to make his tall wall a more formidable Maginot Line. He ought to put air conditioned towers every mile or so that are armed with the most modern military equipment. Maybe air conditioned snipers' nests every half-mile, and train Border Patrol agents sniping and terrorist identification. Maybe a few drone stations every hundred miles or so.

Local sheriffs have said that terrorists have entered the US through the sieve that is now our southern border. When our sophisticated electronic equipment picks up terrorists, drones will make confirmation and that's that. If a Border Patrol sniper ID's a terrorist, the terrorist won't even know he's dead. For poor Mexicans wanting to enter our country illegally, we'll treat them with dignity and respect, give them enough food and water to get back home, and give them liberal and neocon politicians' paychecks as seed money. I'd rather give money to people who want to work than politicians who are working to destroy the sovereignty of our country.

BTW, the down low is President Trump is gonna hire Vicente Fox as a wall building laborer, but Mexicans are gonna pay him.
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

1. Crackdown on the companies hiring the illegals. Jail the key company officers who order and/or do it. Seize the company assets and sell them at public auction with monies being applied to the national debt.

2. Create a five mile wide DMZ type area along the border complete with minefields, no less than three full divisions of troops, artillery, air support and everything else needed to secure it as best as is humanly possible. Any thing or any one caught inside the DMZ area will be eliminated on sight.

3. Inform Mexico that if they do not stem the flow of people across the border on their side it will be considered an act of war and dealt with accordingly.

4. Declare all the drug cartels terrorist organizations and let the military loose on them.

There is a serious problem with #1 which MUST be addressed first.

We must protect employers from retribution when they attempt to ascertain legal status of prospective employees.

Presently employers are fined by the gov't and sued in civil court for discrimination, simply for trying to find out if an applicant is legal.

You can not make it impossible to determine legal status, then sieze assets when a company hires illegals........unless your ultimate goal is to transfer all corporate assets into the hands of .gov.

Politicians create the problem then create felons outta ordinary Americans. BS. Build the damned wall!
Posted By: badger Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
It worked for China, didn't it? Been up thousands of years and there's still no Mexicans there.
Originally Posted by watch4bear

I believe it is illegal now; I've always had to show proof of citizenship (birth certificate, passport) for employment. But, it doesn't seem to be legally enforced and prosecuted.
Posted By: Anaconda Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
The fact is, we simply don’t need to build a wall.
Just pass and enforce laws against hiring illegal immigrants.
1st offence, $250 fine PER illegal
2nd offence, $2,500 per
3rd offence, $25,000 plus mandatory 1 month in jail.
Cut off all welfare.
Within 6 months, 90% will scurrying back across the border.
The ones that are left are real criminals, convict them and lock them up, and take the cost of the up keep from aid to Mexico.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
40,000 (over, how many years?) is a long way from the millions presently swarming into the country.

And it would not so much be a case of our boys murdering innocent civilians as it would be suicide by GI. The decision would be made by the idiot trying to run a gauntlet of machine gun fire.

This was between 1961 (when erected) and 1989 (when torn down). Even if this is fewer refugees than we now experience, I don't think the US wants to be known as a nation that shoots people seeking a more secure life.
Originally Posted by Anaconda
2nd offence, $2,500 per
Cut off all welfare.
The ones that are left are real criminals, convict them and lock them up, and take the cost of the up keep from aid to Mexico.

I'll go with the fine and jail sentence, but I'd want the punishment to be higher. Say, minimum $10,000 and 2 years for 1st offense and tripling for each subsequent offense. Strong penalties = better compliance.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
Originally Posted by djs
I don't think [].

You should simply, and always, stop there.

"2. Create a five mile wide DMZ type area along the border complete with minefields, no less than three full divisions of troops, artillery, air support and everything else needed to secure it as best as is humanly possible. Any thing or any one caught inside the DMZ area will be eliminated on sight."

And what will be the cost of buying the 2,000 mile long by 5 mile wide strip of land from the ranchers, farmers, citizens and towns within this area? Who will pay for it (maybe just add it to the National Debt that Donald Trump opined that he'd forfeit on).
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
Originally Posted by Anaconda
2nd offence, $2,500 per
Cut off all welfare.

it'd be a great start.

Posted By: 4ager Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
Originally Posted by djs

"2. Create a five mile wide DMZ type area along the border complete with minefields, no less than three full divisions of troops, artillery, air support and everything else needed to secure it as best as is humanly possible. Any thing or any one caught inside the DMZ area will be eliminated on sight."

And what will be the cost of buying the 2,000 mile long by 5 mile wide strip of land from the ranchers, farmers, citizens and towns within this area? Who will pay for it (maybe just add it to the National Debt that Donald Trump opined that he'd forfeit on).

Who said it would be on OUR side of the border?
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Now you're talkin!

You bet Dirt, then x-ray and blow the tunnels shut!
But, it doesn't seem to be legally enforced and prosecuted.

golly gee whiz. I wonder who's responsible for that?
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
Hungary and Macedonia built effective border walls/barriers in about 6 months that have been highly effective.

I think Great America could do something if we had the will.
Hungary and Macedonia built effective border walls/barriers in about 6 months that have been highly effective.

Tell us more. How long of walls? Constructed of what materials? What was the cost? Did they surround their entire countries?
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
About 350 miles combined from both countries.

US Mexico is what 2000 miles? We have 6 or 700 miles of current fence?

Posted By: Scott F Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
Walls alone would not do the job. Enforcing the laws we already have would help a lot. But if we wanted to enforce the border it could be done. I have seen the fences and security protecting nuclear weapons.

Those who want our military to stand on our border need to remember that silly document some of us swore to defend with our lives. It is called he Constitution.
Posted By: brilite Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
Originally Posted by djs

Duh

The US-Mexico border is just under 2,000 miles long and crosses canyons, rivers, swamps, etc. Yes, you can build a 2,000 wall, but at what cost? Some estimates have placed the cost at $20 billion+. But this depends on the materials used, the height of the wall, maintenance costs, etc. Also, it will be difficult to build a wall that lets river water pass through and yet keeps out border crossers.

Interstate highways follow the most desirous route and wind around obstacles and inhospitable areas. A border MUST follow the border precisely, or the US will effectively cede control of some US territory. It will be difficult and expensive to build; only fools believe that Mexico will pay for it. Also, regardless of how high it is, taller ladders will be built. There will be high maintenance costs and increased numbers of Border Patrol agents will be required.

See:

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/10/09/this-is-what-trumps-border-wall-could-cost-us.html

We just gave Iran $150 Billion, 20 billion is Trump change.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
This one seems to be working just fine.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://cdn.twentytwowords.com/wp-co...-Africa-and-Israel-06-634x422.jpg?5dcb05[/img]

[img]http://cdn.twentytwowords.com/wp-co...-Africa-and-Israel-02-634x412.jpg?5dcb05[/img]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://cdn.twentytwowords.com/wp-co...-Africa-and-Israel-07-634x475.jpg?5dcb05[/img]
Posted By: Pugs Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
While I think he was being a bit hyperbolic, as he is want to do, you need to consider that in this day and age it doesn't really need to be a physical wall.

"Smart dust" and ground based sensors, Aerostat balloons with GMTI radar that tracks anything moving on the ground and thermal sensors. Processing back ends to classify and track the contacts and a robust and well trained border patrol that will intercept the inbound mules and arrest and deport.

This, combined with penalties for hiring illegals, and a new immigration system to ensure that the ones that follow a system and want to become citizens have a way to do it without years of wait.
Nailed it. We have the ability what we have not had is the leadership tat wants it slowed down let alone stopped. Maybe, just maybe, if those voters who have their noses bent out of shape will pull their head out of their asses and vomit for Trump we will have a leader that has the balls to stop it.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
Originally Posted by Pugs
While I think he was being a bit hyperbolic, as he is want to do, you need to consider that in this day and age it doesn't really need to be a physical wall.

"Smart dust" and ground based sensors, Aerostat balloons with GMTI radar that tracks anything moving on the ground and thermal sensors. Processing back ends to classify and track the contacts and a robust and well trained border patrol that will intercept the inbound mules and arrest and deport.

This, combined with penalties for hiring illegals, and a new immigration system to ensure that the ones that follow a system and want to become citizens have a way to do it without years of wait.

A mine field is a much better idea
Posted By: 86thecat Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
Wall in San Diego area works fine, intent is to funnel traffic into areas that can be controlled. A virtual wall is just as important as the steel and mortar wall.
Posted By: Stevil Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by Pugs

and how does a Rancher make a living if youre turning his cattle into burgers ....
Originally Posted by gitem_12

I understand how you feel but mines are to easy to get around. Send kids across and walk around the craters.
Originally Posted by ScottF

Those who want our military to stand on our border need to remember that silly document some of us swore to defend with our lives. It is called he Constitution.

what part of our constitution prevents the use of troops to repel foreign invaders?

I had a couple Uncles who spent a good share of the '40's making such patrols on the California Coast. One on horse back, one in a boat, both wore CG uniforms at the time.
Posted By: Topstock Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
Who says the wall won't work?

Attached picture The Wall.jpg
Posted By: White_Bear Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
It would be easy and cheap to build a crossing deterrent. Sanctions would cover the cost. NO government contractors, only vetted private contractors. Maybe even offer 2-3 years of work on the wall to workers with visas to put them on the fast track to citizenship. It's not rocket surgery.

FIRST start enforcing out laws rather than making new ones. Go forward from there.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
$10,000 fine for first offense of hiring an illegal. Prison for subsequent offenses.

No wall needed. There, solved it.
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by djs

Who said it would be on OUR side of the border?

So now you want to invade another country?
Originally Posted by brilite
Originally Posted by djs

Duh

See:

We just gave Iran $150 Billion, 20 billion is Trump change.

NO, we didn't give Iran ANY money; it was their money to start with. It was frozen as a result of the economic sanctions imposed on Iran. It was their money in the first place.

see: http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...rump-we-are-not-giving-iran-150-billion/
Originally Posted by Topstock

Maybe those who are watching the current walls being breached and thwarted.
Originally Posted by djs

Maybe those who are watching the current walls being breached and thwarted.

Who's side are you on?
Are you a wetback or a Democrat?

Apparently you don't think anything would work. What a loser.
Originally Posted by White_Bear
It would be easy and cheap to build a crossing deterrent. Sanctions would cover the cost. NO government contractors, only vetted private contractors. Maybe even offer 2-3 years of work on the wall to workers with visas to put them on the fast track to citizenship. It's not rocket surgery.

FIRST start enforcing out laws rather than making new ones. Go forward from there.

I have a service connected disabled vet owned construction business. Does your plan disqualifie me from bidding by your standards just because I am a certified government contractor?
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
I think the wall will make a fine RPG target frown So no, don't build it, but triple the size of the Border Patrol, and turn them loose in enforcement. Then it they come back and tell you they want a wall in such & such area, fine.
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
I could stop it for free. 50k fine for hiring folks not in the data base AND a 25k bounty for finding and turning them in.

For all the traditional reasons we need an enforced border, though.
Originally Posted by Scott F

I have a service connected disabled vet owned construction business. Does your plan disqualifie me from bidding by your standards just because I am a certified government contractor?

Absolutely not. I should have been more specific but I'm a man of few words.
Please bid but don't expect special treatment. I thank you for your service and you deserve any and all benefits promised to you.
I own a contracting company and it's frustrating trying to bid against Native Americans, African Americans, women, etc and any other company owner who isn't a white male. I only succeed because I do better work. They always get the government bid even if it's way higher. It really sucks when those contractors toss it in my face.

Anyway.... There are good profitable ways to deal with illegals.
For my information..... What does it take to become a certified government contractor? I do private, township and a little county work. I'd like to expand.

Absolutely not. I should have been more specific but I'm a man of few words.
Please bid but don't expect special treatment. I thank you for your service and you deserve any and all benefits promised to you.
I own a contracting company and it's frustrating trying to bid against Native Americans, African Americans, women, etc and any other company owner who isn't a white male. I only succeed because I do better work. They always get the government bid even if it's way higher. It really sucks when those contractors toss it in my face.

Anyway.... There are good profitable ways to deal with illegals.

I was pretty sure I was misreading your post. BTW, you must know about the 3% rule in government construction. My SCDOB project management business can help your company meet that 3%.

I will try to remember to send you some links next week when I get home. Feel free to remind me.
Posted By: Calvin Re: Trump's Wall - 07/24/16
Build a big wall.

Minefields.. you guys are idiots.
I do under $100 million annually so I'm okay for now.
Originally Posted by Calvin
Build a big wall.

So, the f'ing idiot wants to know what we should do. Maybe just give yo and surrender the country to Mexico?

Tell us oh wise one.
You would think that building a simple barrier was a major challenge listening to the Dems and some here.

How hard would it be?
Like putting a man on the moon hard?
Like building an aircraft carrier hard?
Like educating millions of non English speaking illegals hard?

If we hadn't spent the money stopping invaders in the Middle East we could probably have built 4 or 5 border walls to stop invaders of our own country.

What we lack is the will, not the means. We have undertaken
many tougher tasks.
The naysayers need to step aside.

Posted By: Calvin Re: Trump's Wall - 07/25/16
Build a big wall.

So, the f'ing idiot wants to know what we should do. Maybe just give yo and surrender the country to Mexico?

Tell us oh wise one.

You seriously want to plant landmines at our southern border??
Posted By: SakoAV Re: Trump's Wall - 07/25/16
Trump will build his tall wall a few feet higher, under budget, which benefits Mexico because it's going to pay for it, and in record time.

Just build the damned wall.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Trump's Wall - 07/25/16
Unmanned, armed, drones is the way to go. The specter of unseen death from above coupled with the reality that every inch of the border is being survailed 24/7/365, would eliminate incursions cost effectively and completely. Yes, some might have to die initially, but once death was confirmed certain, the border would be secure.
Originally Posted by RickyD
Unmanned, armed, drones is the way to go. The specter of unseen death from above coupled with the reality that every inch of the border is being survailed 24/7/365, would eliminate incursions cost effectively and completely. Yes, some might have to die initially, but once death was confirmed certain, the border would be secure.

Are you serious? That has to be one of the stupidest things I've ever read.
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: Trump's Wall - 07/25/16
Build a big wall.

Tell us oh wise one.

So much for due process and the Constitution for any Citizen who steps in the wrong spot...
Originally Posted by NVhntr
You would think that building a simple barrier was a major challenge listening to the Dems and some here.

How hard would it be?

If we hadn't spent the money stopping invaders in the Middle East we could probably have built 4 or 5 border walls to stop invaders of our own country.

many tougher tasks.

It wouldn't be all that hard, just very expensive and even more stupid. When ever I hear the wall nonsense I think about the Maginot line, that Germany just went around. There is ample technology available to shut that border like a vault without the idiocy of a wall that won't work. That's not naysaying, but truth.
Posted By: Middlefork_Miner Re: Trump's Wall - 07/25/16

El Chapo... http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/12/americas/mexico-el-chapo-escape-sinaloa-cartel-tunnels/index.html
Posted By: StoneCutter Re: Trump's Wall - 07/25/16

How hard would it be?

many tougher tasks.

^^^THIS^^^

We have thousand and thousands of miles of stand-up concrete walls along the nations highways for sound barriers. If we can put them up to block sound from reaching neighboring communities, why can't we put them up to stop an invasion from neighboring countries? It's not that hard over-all, but there will be some engineering needed in some places such as drainage ditches, creeks, rivers and mountains and hard terrain, but for the most part, not that difficult with stand-up panels. Put a 30 foot deep footer under it to deter tunnels. It's not rocket science.

It won't stop all illegal immigration, but it's a start. Combine that with fining people who hire them and take away the entitlements, and you have a good start to putting a damper on a bad problem.

If we can put a man on the Moon, I think we can handle a little construction job like this.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Trump's Wall - 07/25/16
Build a big wall.

Tell us oh wise one.

Hell no! Show me where I said anything like that. Even if I did think so it would not work and I stated why above.
Posted By: KC Re: Trump's Wall - 07/25/16
Building a physical wall on the U.S./Mexico border is a stupid political stunt. Our border with Mexico is 1,600 miles long. Even if we complete and enhance the existing wall to make it impenetrable it won't stop illegals from entering the country. Say we build the wall all the way from the Pacific Ocean to El Paso. That's not going to keep illegals out because they will just go around it. We're not going to build a wall down the middle of the Rio Grande River. Nor are we going to give up sovereignty of half of the river by building a wall on our side of the river. So we still have 800 miles of river border that anyone can wade across. The Chinese built a wall to keep out the Mongols and Genghis Khan just rode around it. Can't we learn from history?

We could deploy the military on the border and start shooting trespassers. But that's not going to happen. The Chinese did that too and it didn't work.

Now if we really want to keep out illegals, we should build a legal wall that will actually accomplish the job. First we have to enforce existing laws that prohibit companies from employing illegals. Then we have to change the laws that allow illegals to get benefits like free housing, free education, food stamps, free medical care, general relief and welfare payments, etc. These changes will eliminate the incentive for people to infiltrate our country and they will not only stop coming but they will go home. However, until the political climate changes none of these essential changes will occur and foreigners will continue to come and continue to burden our countries' tax and social welfare system.

People who want to come to this country and enjoy the benefits of a free country are not bad people. We should do the following:
1. Create the legal environment already outlined here.
2. Create a system that ensures that the rights of American citizens come before the rights of foreigners.
3. Build processing facilities on the U.S./Mexico border like Ellis Island or the Tower of Hope.
4. At the processing facilities we can ensure that those entering the country can at least communicate in basic English, have skills that make them employable and which do not compete with American workers, have no communicable diseases, are not terrorists or convicted felons. People who do not meet the criteria must be prohibited from entering the country.

We should create a fast track system to naturalized citizenship, for people who enter the country legally. That's how our ancestors got here.

KC

Now where have i read that before? smile

Start reading your own posts, then. Obviously, neither then have you read any posts harking a wall as a solution to illegal immigration.
Posted By: Longbob Re: Trump's Wall - 07/25/16
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner

El Chapo... http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/12/americas/mexico-el-chapo-escape-sinaloa-cartel-tunnels/index.html

I see it differently. If the wall forces them to dig tunnels then the wall is working. The tunnels are a whole lot more difficult to accomplish than simply walking across as they can now.

The technology today is much better at detecting than it was in the past.

Start reading your own posts, then. Obviously, neither then have you read any posts harking a wall as a solution to illegal immigration.

You are an embarrassment. Unmanned drones indiscriminately killing anything that moves on our southern border? Do you live in fantasy land? I'd expect that level of thinking from a complete moron. What kind of church do you go to?
Originally Posted by KC
Building a physical wall on the U.S./Mexico border is a stupid political stunt. Our border with Mexico is 1,600 miles long. Even if we complete and enhance the existing wall to make it impenetrable it won't stop illegals from entering the country. Say we build the wall all the way from the Pacific Ocean to El Paso. That's not going to keep illegals out because they will just go around it. We're not going to build a wall down the middle of the Rio Grande River. Nor are we going to give up sovereignty of half of the river by building a wall on our side of the river. So we still have 800 miles of river border that anyone can wade across. The Chinese built a wall to keep out the Mongols and Genghis Khan just rode around it. Can't we learn from history?

We could deploy the military on the border and start shooting trespassers. But that's not going to happen. The Chinese did that too and it didn't work.

Now if we really want to keep out illegals, we should build a legal wall that will actually accomplish the job. First we have to enforce existing laws that prohibit companies from employing illegals. Then we have to change the laws that allow illegals to get benefits like free housing, free education, food stamps, free medical care, general relief and welfare payments, etc. These changes will eliminate the incentive for people to infiltrate our country and they will not only stop coming but they will go home. However, until the political climate changes none of these essential changes will occur and foreigners will continue to come and continue to burden our countries' tax and social welfare system.

People who want to come to this country and enjoy the benefits of a free country are not bad people. We should do the following:
2. Create a system that ensures that the rights of American citizens come before the rights of foreigners.
3. Build processing facilities on the U.S./Mexico border like Ellis Island or the Tower of Hope.
4. At the processing facilities we can ensure that those entering the country can at least communicate in basic English, have skills that make them employable and which do not compete with American workers, have no communicable diseases, are not terrorists or convicted felons. People who do not meet the criteria must be prohibited from entering the country.

We should create a fast track system to naturalized citizenship, for people who enter the country legally. That's how our ancestors got here.

KC

Do you lock your house?
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Trump's Wall - 07/25/16
Originally Posted by KC

KC

Is your yard fenced?

Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Trump's Wall - 07/25/16

The absolutely clueless rantings from a congenitally bloodthirsty idiot.

GTC
Now where have i read that before? smile

It's still true and it sounds better each time that I write it.

Posted By: Hotload Re: Trump's Wall - 07/25/16

Duh

Of course we can build it. Cost: several Billion $$$$$$$$

Is your yard fenced?

My yard is fenced to keep my dog in, not to keep people out.

Originally Posted by Longbob

Do you lock your house?

I put dead bolts on my doors because I get better rates on my homeowners insurance. But I don't bother to use them. If someone wants to break into my house, a locked door is not going to stop them.

KC

Originally Posted by crossfireoops

GTC

And more from an uninformed idiot with no imagination, it would appear. You must be a Hillary voter.

As I can see such a program rolled out, we would drop flyers, use radio and TV to insure everyone knew drone protection was going to be used and it would be lethal and accurate. The first few who tried the new system should be met with an appearance from the drone and fire that pinned them in place and scared the chit out of them but did not kill. They would be picked up and sent home with admonition to tell those who might come after then what awaited. If several iterations of that proved fruitless, direct targeting would be required.

Or, we could just let illegals keep coming and killing American's one way and another. And they will. A wall won't stop them. It seems that is the clueless congentially bloodthirsty killings you prefer, those of American's.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Trump's Wall - 07/25/16
Originally Posted by KC

Do you lock your house?

I put dead bolts on my doors because I get better rates on my homeowners insurance. But I don't bother to use them. If someone wants to break into my house, a locked door is not going to stop them.

KC

But you DO have a door,correct?
Originally Posted by Hotload

Duh

Of course we can build it. Cost: several Billion $$$$$$$$
And then they will go over it, under it, through it, or around it. A wall is so 8th Century.
Posted By: Middlefork_Miner Re: Trump's Wall - 07/25/16

I see it differently. If the wall forces them to dig tunnels then the wall is working. The tunnels are a whole lot more difficult to accomplish than simply walking across as they can now.

You see it differently because you have your eyes closed to the real issues of why they are here in the first place....Jobs, welfare, medical, housing etc. etc. Take all of those issues/options off the table and tell me illegal immigration would still be a problem.
If someone wants to break into my house, a locked door is not going to stop them.
That depends on who wants in and why.

I keep the glass storm door locked, as I believe all that glass breaking is going to be a detriment to even start trying to get in that way. Then they only other choice they have, besides cutting a hole in the garage door, are the glass doors on the deck. Back to square one.

Breaking down a door often provides an audible alert trouble is at hand. I like that more than a criminal just quietly walking in uninvited and me unawares. ymmv
Originally Posted by KC

Do you lock your house?

KC

Just like waiting on your fantasy proposals will stop them. You live in Colorado Springs and don't lock your house? I have a hard time believing you. I bet you don't lock your car either.

GTC

And more from an uninformed idiot with no imagination, it would appear. You must be a Hillary voter.

As I can see such a program rolled out, we would drop flyers, use radio and TV to insure everyone knew drone protection was going to be used and it would be lethal and accurate. The first few who tried the new system should be met with an appearance from the drone and fire that pinned them in place and scared the chit out of them but did not kill. They would be picked up and sent home with admonition to tell those who might come after then what awaited. If several iterations of that proved fruitless, direct targeting would be required.

Or, we could just let illegals keep coming and killing American's one way and another. And they will. A wall won't stop them. It seems that is the clueless congentially bloodthirsty killings you prefer, those of American's.

Hey stupid,....we BUILD, and TEST drones here, in the very closest town. We TRAIN drone pilots here, and I am pretty damned conversant with what can and can't be done with em'.

.....you mister ( small m,) see me as a "Hillary voter?"

Some advice :

Don't be in the same enclosed space with sche it and bean dip at the same time,...your threshold for confusion is obviously fairly low.

You see it differently because you have your eyes closed to the real issues of why they are here in the first place....Jobs, welfare, medical, housing etc. etc. Take all of those issues/options off the table and tell me illegal immigration would still be a problem.

Which would happen first? Completing the wall or your fixing all the other issues. I would put my odds on the wall first then getting the other stuff sorted out.

And you are kidding yourself if you think the tunnels are being built for illegal immigration. They are for the drug trade. If the illegals use them also then that is their call. Much easier to defend choke points rather than a sieve.
Posted By: poboy Re: Trump's Wall - 07/25/16
I see the Dems put a 4 mile 8ft fence around DNC center for this week.
I think they are starting to believe in walls.
Hey stupid,....we BUILD, and TEST drones here, in the very closest town. We TRAIN drone pilots here, and I am pretty damned conversant with what can and can't be done with em'.

.....you mister ( small m,) see me as a "Hillary voter?"

Some advice :

Don't be in the same enclosed space with sche it and bean dip at the same time,...your threshold for confusion is obviously fairly low.
Yes, a Hillary voter would be more concerned about the lives of illegals than of American's. You admittedly fit that profile. Not on me, on you.

You capital letters add no legitimacy to your post. I'm sure drones could close the border, even if you are not.

You do this often. Fly off the handle at any little thing, and then call others names. If that makes you feel better, I'm good with that.
Killer drones and minefields,....

we are indeed in dark and treacherous waters.

"any little thing" ?

You view living a coupla' miles from a minefield as some "little thing" ?

I'm calling ANYBODY that's suggesting mining our side of the line as a flake.

live with it.

GTC

I'm calling ANYBODY that's suggesting mining our side of the line as a flake.
I'd call them worse for suggesting mining either side. A mine can't make a decision. Drone operators can and do according to ROE's.
How much TIME have you actually spent on the Mexican border, Rambo ?

GTC
Posted By: Semper_Fi57 Re: Trump's Wall - 07/25/16
As Middleforkminer said, cut off all the free sheit and welfare and they would RUN back across that border. Also, let the Border Patrol do their job instead of "handcuffing" them as our worthless AIC has done. It may not solve all the problems, but it would be a giant step in the right direction.

Jim
Posted By: Tracks Re: Trump's Wall - 07/25/16
Originally Posted by KC

Do you lock your house?

KC

Bet a couple of bucks though, that while the door may not be locked, the gun is loaded.

GTC
Very little, but neither have I spent any time in the Harley factory and that didn't prevent me from rebuilding mine so it would run like it should. Maybe you've spent to much.
Posted By: Tracks Re: Trump's Wall - 07/25/16
I like what Texas did with it's river patrol boats, some cartel types want to start shooting, Texas brings some serious firepower.
Something along those lines should be available for the dry land sections.
Electronic aids, serious minded people on the ground, and a willingness to do whatever is required is better than a wall.

GTC
Very little, but neither have I spent any time in the Harley factory and that didn't prevent me from rebuilding mine so it would run like it should. Maybe you've spent to much.

Maybe you should read, and than RE-READ the Article that Mudhen kindly put up, so that your mouth will run more like a normal rural American's.

Orwellian fascism turns stomachs.

GTC
Maybe you should read, and than RE-READ the Article that Mudhen kindly put up
I did. Good article. They know a wall won't work, too.

Orwellian fascism turns stomachs.
Nice hyperbole. Using the best methods available to stop illegal immigration when it's destroying this country is not Orwellian fascism.

Now, lay off the peyote.
Posted By: djs Re: Trump's Wall - 07/25/16

does anyone here remember the story of Esequiel Hernández, the Texas teenager shot by US Marines near the border? He was on his family's property.

see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esequiel_Hern%C3%A1ndez,_Jr.

Posted By: 280shooter Re: Trump's Wall - 07/25/16
one
Originally Posted by KC

Do you lock your house?

KC

Just like waiting on your fantasy proposals will stop them. You live in Colorado Springs and don't lock your house? I have a hard time believing you. I bet you don't lock your car either.

My .357 magnum will stop them.

Originally Posted by Tracks
Originally Posted by KC

Do you lock your house?

KC

Bet a couple of bucks though, that while the door may not be locked, the gun is loaded.

Don:

smile grin wink

Posted By: Stevil Re: Trump's Wall - 07/25/16
Originally Posted by Semper_Fi57
As Middleforkminer said, cut off all the free sheit and welfare and they would RUN back across that border. Also, let the Border Patrol do their job instead of "handcuffing" them as our worthless AIC has done. It may not solve all the problems, but it would be a giant step in the right direction.

Jim

If you did that then Trailer Trash like Middlefork miner would have to go back to work !
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by KC

Do you lock your house?

KC

But you DO have a door, correct?

Yes I have a door.

smile

Posted By: pal Re: Trump's Wall - 07/25/16
It is hard to believe how many, here, think more laws are going to help a damned thing. Just wow!
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Trump's Wall - 07/25/16
Originally Posted by djs

Not nearly as expensive as providing welfare to lazy people
This thread, and the folks posting on it need to quit posting stupid anti-American chit,.....
..... maybe take a look back at a "proposal" that's been up front here on this site for MANY years.

DMZ gets pushed into MEXICO,...any problemos, or screwing around on Mexico's part ?

....Make it DEEPER.

Show compassion and best behavior with those that are going to be displaced. PROTECT those who'll stay and look after their ground, and stock.

Can't BELIEVE we have azzwholes supporting this Nazi-esque, bizarre level of eminent domain, to be enforced on their fellow Americans.

I will note that a LOT of them reside in liberal chitholes, though.

GTC

Posted By: mudhen Re: Trump's Wall - 07/25/16
When you cross the border at Palomas (across from Columbus, NM) or Antelope Wells (in southeast Hidalgo County) or Aqua Prieta (across from Douglas, AZ), one thing is certain. Whether you are going east, south or west, you will quickly encounter a Mexican Army checkpoint, manned by soldiers with M4s and at least one sandbagged belt-fed .30 or .50 caliber machine gun. Your are not yet in Mexico proper, but rather in the Frontera, a 20-40 mile wide strip where the Army is in charge and civil law takes a back seat way in the back of the bus and martial law is the driver. People smuggle things into Mexico all the time, but getting caught is a whole different ball game.

Very different from this side...
Originally Posted by KC
Originally Posted by KC

Do you lock your house?

KC

My .357 magnum will stop them.

Oh. So you are there 24/7/365. Now I understand better. You must have one hell of an active Amazon Prime account.
When I look at a subject such as the border I try to gather as much information as I can them try to come to a logical opinion. In cases like the border it can be hard to not let emotion get in the way.

What I try to do is to look to those who do no what it is like living close to the problem. There are three here at the Fire I have spent enough time with face to face to be able to say I know and respect them. Greag, Ben, and Blue. They pretty much all say the same thing. I believe them.

I know we have the ability as a country to protect every inch of our southern border but the cost would be staggering. I also undersand just making more laws does nothing to solve the problem. I also know we once were a nation of laws and we will not be murdering people and piling their bodies on the border. To think we would do so is beyond stupid.

Trump has already stated that if he is elected he will start enforcing the immigration laws we already have. If he does so that will be a huge step in the right direction. I believe that is the way we should start to solve this problem. The laws are there, lets use them.

Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: Trump's Wall - 07/26/16
The Israel wall works.
Posted By: SakoAV Re: Trump's Wall - 07/26/16
Just build the damned wall.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Trump's Wall - 07/27/16
I believe that is the way we should start to solve this problem. The laws are there, lets use them.

Might pass a few more regarding hiring illegals, and about the things that we currently give them. And the big one, enforce the laws on all, not just a chosen few. I bear no ill will on people from other countries, until they enter our country illegally. That is their first crime against us. Shows that they will commit more if they deem it necessary. Drug running will require a different strategy, but can be stopped or slowed. This country can do it if the powers that be, want to make it happen. Work visa's with a close eye on the holders might be an option. miles
© 24hourcampfire