Home
Posted By: jorgeI THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR HOGS - 08/11/15
We have a "Fielder's Choice" opportunities here in Georgia for hogs, so I'm thinking of handgun hunting. What do you guys think of this in 454 Casull?

[img]http://www.lipseys.net/images/0871.jpg?maxwidth=520[/img]
Jorge, that sure gives you a lot of options. I think a 45lc is plenty for hogs. Hasbeen
Posted By: RJM Re: THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR HOGS - 08/11/15
Nothing wrong with that choice... If I was going that big however, and reloaded, I would go the .480 in the same gun. Run a 350-400 grain boolit at a 1000 fps is all you need. A friend had a FA .475 and all he shot was the Medium Buffalo Bore round that was only going 950...and it killed hogs, deer and turkey with no recovered bullets...

Bob
I'd agree, if you can't get it done with a 45 Colt, it don't need to be done.

But you only need to make yourself happy.
Posted By: 4ager Re: THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR HOGS - 08/11/15
Originally Posted by Steelhead

This.

A 270 grain WFN at around 1050 to 1100 will punch through anything you ever need to shoot with a handgun without being an obnoxious prick to shoot. That recipe is simple: Ruger BH .45LC, 5.5" barrel or better, 10.0 grains Unique, 270 LBT WFN.
Well, the good thing is that it can also shoot the 45 Colt as well and I have that load to use already in my 45 Vaquero. A friend of mine in Africa has used his FA Casull with solids to whack buffalo with it and I just thought, why not!
Posted By: RWE Re: THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR HOGS - 08/11/15
Originally Posted by 4ager

A 270 grain WFN at around 1050 to 1100 will punch through anything you ever need to shoot with a handgun without being an obnoxious prick to shoot.

The 270 SAA (casts 280 with wheelweights) is a real mf'er at 1,100 fps.

On the business end, that is.

Pretty easy to shoot, but even my RBH is a long barrel.

Posted By: RWE Re: THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR HOGS - 08/11/15
your pic

[Linked Image]
The .480 makes (slightly) bigger holes smile
JorgeI - why stop with the Casull? The .460 S&W will allow you to shoot .45 Schofield, .45 Colt, the .454 Casull and the .460 S&W going from smallest to largest. What's not to like? Homesteader
Posted By: pal Re: THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR HOGS - 08/11/15
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
...I think a 45lc is plenty for hogs...

Plus it is a whole order of magnitude cheaper to shoot and less abusive to the shooter.
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Well, the good thing is that it can also shoot the 45 Colt as well and I have that load to use already in my 45 Vaquero. A friend of mine in Africa has used his FA Casull with solids to whack buffalo with it and I just thought, why not!

Of course it can, in 1/2lb+ package.

It's kind of like a 3 1/2" 12 gauge to me. Great, you can shoot every shell none to mankind in it, but I have no need for 3 1/2" shells.
I think your taste for biggest, loudest, fastest is leading you to more handgun than you need. But what does need have to do with it? grin
The 454 Casull is the 378 Weatherby of the revolver world. Give me a 45 Colt, properly loaded, any day.

This.

A 270 grain WFN at around 1050 to 1100 will punch through anything you ever need to shoot with a handgun without being an obnoxious prick to shoot. That recipe is simple: Ruger BH .45LC, 5.5" barrel or better, 10.0 grains Unique, 270 LBT WFN.

Word.

A friend of mine has 454's, and 475 & 500 Linebaughs. If I remember right he does a lot of killing with various cast slugs at 900-1000 fps.
I would not at all be feeling undergunned with that one in the pic in .45 Colt.
Originally Posted by local_dirt
I would not at all be feeling undergunned with that one in the pic in .45 Colt.

And you wouldn't even need to load the 45 Colt to its full capability in that revolver.
Posted By: EdM Re: THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR HOGS - 08/11/15
Of the new I would go 480. That said my most used hog gun is an Old Model Super Blackhawk throwing 280 gr WFN's at 1050 fps. Hogs die easy.
The 454 is a very nice handgun. But it also shoots 45 Colts very well. Maybe Whitworth (Max) will put up a target he shot with the 454, using 45 Colt ammo. 5 Shots in approx an inch at 50 yards. (Scoped I believe). I personally like the 480, I've got a few 454's and mostly shoot Buffalo Bore 45 Colt through them. Those will handle literally anything in North America. But what I really like is Ruger making a great Bisley with here to fore unavailable calibers in anything but F/A or BFR' or Customs. What I'm saying is get what ever pleases you. The 454 recoil is more substantial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llD8VAVO3cE
For a while I owned both a 454 and a 45 colt. My colt is a Ruger Bisley. I loaded both to max - and sold the 454. In my 5.5" Bisley, I get an honest 1250 with a 300 gr hard cast. Recoil is sharp but not not excessive. My 454 struggled to get much over 1350 with the same bullet and produced more recoil. I know people run the 454 harder but I couldn't make mine do it with sane loads.

To replace the 454, I bought a BFR in 475 L. That is a bigger hammer. I run mine with either 325 Speer at 1350 or a 420 BTB WFNGC at about 1250. Both recoil significantly but are not as bad as you would think but neither load is max for the Linebaugh either. I don't see the need to run the 400 to 1400. I've shot them there but I find 1250 recoils less and seriously doubt an animal will know the difference. A 400 grain 475 Linebaugh is a mighty impressive cartridge.
THank you guys for all the commentary. I've learned a lot here, and the 45 Colt which I am very familiar with, is really what interested me in this gun in the first place. But Mathman, you are spot on smile
Jorge -- look at this thread:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...rican_Hunter_First_Look_new#Post10262120
Originally Posted by Homesteader
JorgeI - why stop with the Casull? The .460 S&W will allow you to shoot .45 Schofield, .45 Colt, the .454 Casull and the .460 S&W going from smallest to largest. What's not to like? Homesteader

Because I have yet to meet an X-frame in .460 that will shoot .454 Casull or .45 Colt worth a damn and then there is the fact that you are stuck with a 4 1/2-lb crew-served weapon that doesn't kill any better than a .454 that is louder than anything you have ever experienced.
Originally Posted by Whitworth1

Because I have yet to meet an X-frame in .460 that will shoot .454 Casull or .45 Colt worth a damn and then there is the fact that you are stuck with a 4 1/2-lb crew-served weapon that doesn't kill any better than a .454 that is louder than anything you have ever experienced.

I think it's called sarcasm
Man up. Digital Dan says this is all you need for hogs.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RWE Re: THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR HOGS - 08/12/15
yeah, but wasn't Dan a chopper pilot?
Ruh roh.

I think it's called sarcasm

Well, it surely wasn't clear from the post. And believe it or not, there are those who think the X-frame is an answer for something -- an unknown something.
Jorge, I killed this hog last Saturday with the new .454 Bisley:

[Linked Image]
Thanks for the link!
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
...I think a 45lc is plenty for hogs...

Plus it is a whole order of magnitude cheaper to shoot and less abusive to the shooter.

Abusive to the shooter is right! The .454 in full power loads just is not a pleasure for me to shoot. I used to have a 9.3 JDJ in an SSK TC with a scope, and the FA .454 had sharper recoil. Maybe John Wayne would enjoy it, but I didn't. Well built pistol, for sure.

They will put the whoop-ass on hogs.
The hog I shot last Saturday was dispatched with Garrett 365 grain .45 Colt +P loads. It shoots them so well, I saw no reason to use anything else.
Did someone call? confused

[Linked Image]

That's a beautifully composed photo. Some see a new box of bullets for the kids. Maybe a gallery exercise? Teaching the wife to shoot?

I see a loaded Kenworth headed to the processing plant.

Bacon, bacon, bacon!

Hogs are not that hard to kill. 45 Colt, 454, 44 magnum, 45 ACP, they all will get it done if you shoot straight. One hog was taken with the FA 454 the others with my Springfield 45 ACP's. The hogs didn't know the difference .

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RWE Re: THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR HOGS - 08/12/15
[Linked Image]

Do you have matching mud flaps?
Originally Posted by RWE
[Linked Image]

Do you have matching mud flaps?

I looked for them, but couldn't find any
We have a "Fielder's Choice" opportunities here in Georgia for hogs, so I'm thinking of handgun hunting. What do you guys think of this in 454 Casull?

[img]http://www.lipseys.net/images/0871.jpg?maxwidth=520[/img]

I think you will like it...as long as you don't shoot .454's. laugh

(BTDT)
Originally Posted by bea175
Hogs are not that hard to kill. 45 Colt, 454, 44 magnum, 45 ACP, they all will get it done if you shoot straight. One hog was taken with the FA 454 the others with my Springfield 45 ACP's. The hogs didn't know the difference .

^^^This^^^

I've killed hogs with handguns in 357 mag, 357 sig, .41 mag, .44 spec, .44 mag, 45acp, 45 Colt, 454 casual, & .480 Ruger.
And I'll agree that a handgun in 44 mag & 45 Colt are more than ample hog medicine for even the biggest of feral hogs.

That being said, I will own one of the new Ruger Bisley 5-shot models that the OP mentioned as soon as I can get my hands on one.
But I will buy the .480 Ruger. Version. Because I firmly believe a 350 grain LBT hard cast bullet at 1150 fps will kill any big game in North America and Alaska. And I won't have to deal with the sharp crack and ear killing decibels of the .454. Casual or the brutal muzzle blast either.
Originally Posted by RWE
your pic

[Linked Image]
A factory 5 shot Ruger Bisley...well, it only took 30 years to connect those particular dots. It just drives me nuts that Ruger takes so damned long to figure these things out. All right enough beaching...

OMG I'm in love! I have zero use for a .454 or a .480 but I just gotta have one!!!!

Jorge, you know your chit and you know damned well that you could search for years and not come up with something as perfect. Bisley grip, stainless. 6.5" barrel OMG what's not to love?

All I can say is, it's about freaking time Ruger!
OK so cartridge wise both are comfortably overkill for even the biggest hogs. But the .454 lets you use other .45 cases such as the Colt or Schofield. A mid level load (the old "Ruger or T/C Contender" only loads) in the .45 Colt would be perfect and easy shooting.

I'm actually a big fan of the .480 even though I've never had a need for one. Again lighter loads with a WFN cast bullet are just a pleasure to shoot and they're very efficient killers.

I have no love for the .454 Cassull cartridge, but a factory 5 shot Ruger could entice me.
Anyone seeing any prices yet?
Around $750 give or take a few bucks either direction.
Why do some of you guys like the 480 over the 454, is it the recoil? What I really like about the 454 is what a lot of you have said in that it allows the shooter to use 45 Colts. I will let you guys know if these guns are readily available or not and get back to you guys.
Posted By: 4ager Re: THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR HOGS - 08/13/15
The .454 is obnoxious in recoil and blast; just downright nasty.

The .45LC will take out anything you ever need to shoot with a handgun, and do it so mildly in comparison the .454 that it's really shocking.

The .480 is less obnoxious than the .454 and makes a bigger hole; almost like an overgrown .45LC.

Is the "obnoxiousness" based on velocity and or bullet weight? I guess I need to do some homework on the 480, but the big selling point of the Casull is the ability to shoot the other 45s.

The .45LC will take out anything you ever need to shoot with a handgun, and do it so mildly in comparison the .454 that it's really shocking.

The .480 is less obnoxious than the .454 and makes a bigger hole; almost like an overgrown .45LC.

What he said!

What he said!

Holy crap.

I take that as an extraordinary compliment.

Max KNOWS big bore handguns to a degree that I can only daydream about.
Is the "obnoxiousness" based on velocity and or bullet weight? I guess I need to do some homework on the 480, but the big selling point of the Casull is the ability to shoot the other 45s.

Based on 65,000 PSI factory loads and velocity and bullet weight.
I personally don't think the 454 recoil is bad at all and if you can't stand the recoil from the 454 I would advise you to stay completely clear of the 500 Smith
I personally don't think the 454 recoil is bad at all and if you can't stand the recoil from the 454 I would advise you to stay completely clear of the 500 Smith

I have had both and shot both extensively. The .500 Smith fits in an out-sized, over-weight "revolver," whereas the .454 fits in a normal-sized revolver, and I personally don't think the .500 is bad at all. The brake on the X-frame works well, and the gun weighs 4 1/2 + pounds. The .454 in light package like the Bisley is a nasty creature with heavy bullets and high pressures. JMHO.
Originally Posted by jwp475

yikes! might have to revisit the 480 Ruger, although the 45 Colt option of the Casull still carries a lot of weight...
Skip the Casull.

Either get a 6-shot .45LC or a 5-shot .480.
Posted By: jds44 Re: THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR HOGS - 08/13/15
Jorge,

I have owned two .454's - a 6'' Freedom Arms and a 7 1/2'' Ruger Super Redhawk. When the kids came along and I cut the gun collection down, they both went down the road and I kept a standard Blackhawk in .45 Colt. I've missed both though. I agree that the top end .454 loads are obnoxious, but no one says you have to run the .454 balls to the wall. My favorite .454 loads are a 300 grain bullet at about 1400 fps. That's a a little bit more than you can get from a 6 shot .45 Colt, but not in the "this sucks!" range.

If you're already setup to load .45 Colt and want to keep life simple, the .454 makes a lot of sense. You can share bullets between the 2 and use your standard .45 Colt loads for light practice in the Casull. If you don't want to buy any .454 brass, there's loading data out there for .454 level loads in .45 Colt brass. Just be sure those loads don't make it into your Vaquero.

If I was only going to own 1 single action, it would be a standard Blackhawk in .45 Colt. As others have said, it's lighter and more user friendly. However in your shoes with a Vaquero in hand and wanting a dedicated hunting gun, the new Ruger Bisley .454 makes perfect sense. I will buying one as a companion to my 5.5'' Blackhawk .45 Colt as soon as I can scrape the funds together.
Jorge,

I remember reading an article by Ross Seyfried on his hunting revolver. It was a Ruger Bisley Vaquero with a 5.5" barrel in 45 Colt. He loaded it with 325gr WNFP over H110 powder for about 1200 fps velocity as I recall. You could try a similar load in your Vaquero.
Thanks for all the inputs, gents. I guess it's up to me. I did find this:

44 Mag - 22.343 ft-lbs of recoil

.480 Ruger - 39.2 ft-lbs of recoil

.454 Casull - 51.165 ft-lbs of recoil

Also, is the 40 Ruger holding it's own? the Casull's been around forever.

454 balls to the wall. My favorite .454 loads are a 300 grain bullet at about 1400 fps. That's a a little bit more than you can get from a 6 shot .45 Colt, but not in the "this sucks!" range.

The 6 shot 45 colt can do 1400 with a 325 hard cast. Buffalo Bore and Underwood both hit 1400 out of my 6" 6 shot 45 colt.
Thanks for all the inputs, gents. I guess it's up to me. I did find this:

44 Mag - 22.343 ft-lbs of recoil

.480 Ruger - 39.2 ft-lbs of recoil

.454 Casull - 51.165 ft-lbs of recoil

Also, is the 40 Ruger holding it's own? the Casull's been around forever.

The 480 appears to be gaining in popularity as time goes on.
C'mon guys, no such load as a .45 Schofield, it is the .45 S&W. Yes, it can be shot from the .45 Colt and .454 but no ammo was ever designated as Schofield.
Go to the store and find some???? It was the .38 S&W of the .45's.
I agree with Whitworth except I don't like a Bisley. But a five shot .480 is my choice but I want a hog leg.
Originally Posted by bfrshooter
C'mon guys, no such load as a .45 Schofield, it is the .45 S&W. Yes, it can be shot from the .45 Colt and .454 but no ammo was ever designated as Schofield.
Go to the store and find some???? It was the .38 S&W of the .45's.
I agree with Whitworth except I don't like a Bisley. But a five shot .480 is my choice but I want a hog leg.

Easy.

Here's MidwayUSA for you, with 5 different loads via three different companies, all marked .45 Schofield -

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?dimensionids=10062

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
OK, did not know some load that but it is still the S&W cartridge. Schofield is the gun designation due to the lockup system designed by general Schofield.
Maybe it is because of re pros made today.
If a heavy loaded 45 Colt won't get it done on a hog then you need to switch to a rifle.
I think you should step up to 50's. Those others maybe a little light. LOL. I am just funnin y'all
There is a .500 Wyoming Express that FA sells in the Model 83. Even they admitted it kicked like 4 mules, and I don't think they sell many. grin

I shot a SRH in .454 a number of years ago, and chrono'd the loads. I forget who made them, but they were driving 300gr bullets a hair over 1600 fps. Even in the big heavy Ruger one cylinder full and my hand was getting sore. Even with milder loads in the the .480, I will normally put on a PAST glove to protect my hand.
Maybe I should just stick with my lowly S&W 4" 41Mag.. smile

It don't bounce off, does it?
Posted By: jds44 Re: THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR HOGS - 08/13/15
Why are all you people trying to talk Jorge OUT of buying a new toy???
Big John Sharp says get the Casull....

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by jds44
Why are all you people trying to talk Jorge OUT of buying a new toy???

We're trying to talk him into the RIGHT new toy.
Jorge, I killed this hog last Saturday with the new .454 Bisley:

[Linked Image]

Nice lookin' gnasher.

[Linked Image]

Jorge, buddy, if you were built like that 1) you'd not have fit in any aircraft this side of a C-130, and 2) you wouldn't need a handgun for pigs.
Posted By: RWE Re: THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR HOGS - 08/13/15

[Linked Image]

he carries that gun because of the ass whoopin I gave him....

Just sayin...
Originally Posted by RWE

[Linked Image]

Just sayin...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Dwarves have such vivid imaginations.

[Linked Image]

Jorge, buddy, if you were built like that 1) you'd not have fit in any aircraft this side of a C-130, and 2) you wouldn't need a handgun for pigs.

I'm crushed.... smile
Originally Posted by RWE

[Linked Image]

Just sayin...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Dwarves have such vivid imaginations.

On really large game I'd take the 480 with a 400 grain hard cast at 1200 FPS.
In the early 70s I lived in Florida and hunted hogs with a 357. It did the job every time.

Not this is no surprise to most here who know me well but I have wanted a 45 LC since I shot the first one back in those early hog hunting days. A Ruger single action 45 LC with around a 5" barrel is on my short, extremely short, as in only gun on the list short list. grin

I do not know of any game I would not try in the lower 48 with a 45 LC loaded right and by right does not mean hot. The round has been here for over a hundred years for a reason, it works.

Get what tickles your fancy but get it in something that will take the 45 LC cartage.

NOTE: Keep in mind this is from someone who has never owned one. grin
Posted By: JGray Re: THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR HOGS - 08/13/15

My 454 experience is somewhat limited compared to others here - bought my first one in the late 1980's (Freedom Arms). After firing the first round of factory 260's, I immediately scoped it to tame it down a notch. For me, the lighter bullets (240-260) were more obnoxious than the heavies (300+), so my take is the combination of pressure, velocity and blast from 30-some grains of H110 was just nasty. I shot it extensively and grew used to the recoil, however found that I was only able to get top notch accuracy with full throttle loads. Reduced loads never shot as well for me, however I was a fairly novice reloader at the time which was likely a factor.

I moved on to the 45 Colt in the mid-'90s and that is mostly all I've shot up until six years ago. I was passing through the Post Falls Cabelas and they had a scoped FA Premier 454 in the factory box cut for the scope (ordered as a package). Like new condition and priced less than 1/2 what it would cost to order it new. I had just had Carpal Tunnel surgery that same week and couldn't fathom shooting a handgun, but it came home with me anyway. I didn't work up the nerve to shoot it until almost a year later, but now load 454 brass with 280-335 gr cast bullets and H4227 to 1100-1300 fps (upper 45 Colt levels) and enjoy shooting it muchly - basically a slightly larger 45 Colt.

That said, I've been jonesing for a 5 shot Bisley in 480 for a number of years and this new Lipseys offering has me a little weak in the knees. With a 45 Colt Bisley Vaquero and the FA 454, I have absolutely no need for one, but then...
Jorge, you just don't need a .454 for Georgia hogs. The last one I killed was with a .45 Colt, loaded fairly mild. One shot.
Need? who said anything about "need"? smile
JG. - I'm thinking I 'need' a matching set of Ruger Bisley. I have a 5.5" SS Bisley colt - a 6.5" 480 would be a great pair.

Problem is I have a 475 L in a BFR. I'm trying to convince myself I need to sell the BFR and buy one of the new Ruger Bisley 480's.
I would never part with a BFR for any reason. Best large cartridges ever designed are the .475 and .500 JRH.
Once I got them under control off hand, just about every deer has been belly up at the shot with no meat loss.
Nothing wrong with a .45 Colt of course, it will live forever. Always a good choice. So is a .44 mag.
One thing I have found is shorter brass is never as accurate so if you download, it is best to use FL brass. The .480 is great but a designated .480 is better then shooting .480 brass from a .475. Goes for every caliber too.
I don't like the .454, .460 or .500 S&W. Do not need the velocities for anything here and if you shoot cast you need to work with boolits too much. Even the JRH gave me trouble until I cast a softer nose, it was a hole punch at first.
I have killed many deer with my ROA and round balls, they died faster then those hit with the .44 mag so the gun would work on pigs too but you need close shots because twist is wrong for velocity you can get and accuracy is not good at distance.
My friend Pete has taken many deer with a REM C&B so it is also a good choice as is a 1911 .45 ACP.
It always comes down to the bullet/boolit you use, not the size of the caliber. You might be surprised what a BP revolver can do.
I do like larger calibers though but not the whiz-Bang super mags.
I got tired of mine and sold it to somebody else to get tired of. I know this isn't about "need" but I don't think any of these calibers/weapons are going to kill a hawg any deader than your present gun.

Personally, I wouldn't get another .454. Ruggger making one after what, like fifty years, doesn't get me going.
I found the 41 Mag/250 WFN @ about 1100 fps works great on a ~ 200lb hog.
That said, I'll be getting one of these 480s, because I can.
A .44 "mag" 300gr+ bullet at 1000 fps or so kills hogs real dead, real fast at up to 65 yards. That said, I do have a .480, and expect a 400gr .475 bullet at 1000 to kill them even better! Mine will be out of a Super Redhawk, though, because I already have one.
I have strange opinions about animals. Pigs are smart and might feel pain more then ungulates so they might go down faster.
A dog hit by a car is a sad thing as is any injury but a pig is smarter then a dog. Does pain make them easier? I sure don't know. Putting the hurt on a pig might be different then a deer.
Posted By: 4ager Re: THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR HOGS - 08/14/15
I have strange opinions about animals. Pigs are smart and might feel pain more then ungulates so they might go down faster.
A dog hit by a car is a sad thing as is any injury but a pig is smarter then a dog. Does pain make them easier? I sure don't know. Putting the hurt on a pig might be different then a deer.

You obviously ain't hog hunted much.

Your medication is off again (or you're self-medicating again), as well.

You could have, and likely should have, simply stopped after the first four words as it sums things up perfectly.
Jorge, I'm not going to pretend to be a big-bore revolver guy, and will probably get scalded for saying this. Freedom Arms will not warranty a .454 that has had .45's shot through it. They claim that the shorter cartridge will cause slight changes to the cylinder wall at the mouth of the case and MAY cause extreme pressure when the longer cartridges are shot. The Casull already has pressures similar to a .300 Weatherby and doesn't need to be increased.

That said, lots of people shoot them interchangeably without issue, and claim that Freedom Arms just wants to sell extra cylinders for their guns. I don't know. I DO know that you will want to shoot 45's a lot more than 454's.
Thanks, Pat. BTW, who IS this bfrs guy?

You obviously ain't hog hunted much.

Your medication is off again (or you're self-medicating again), as well.

You could have, and likely should have, simply stopped after the first four words as it sums things up perfectly.

I know what he's talking about. Excluding CNS damage, wary animals tend to die much more quickly than those that are more "tame". It has nothing to do with pain though, it is exertion caused by an animals instinct to flee, or not, after being injured. They just bleed out faster. The difference can be very obvious, even with the same species. I have found it easier to see in bow kills, where hyrostatic shock does not exist. Also, it is pretty easy to find extreme differences in the "wildness" of hogs. One that has recently gone "feral" may stand in one spot for an hour gurgling, after being shot through both lungs, while one that is truly wild will bolt and die in seconds.

I don't know, but he likes revolvers.

A complete nutcase from the suburban DC part of WV.

For true elucidation as to his ... issues... just read up on the "still think overpenetration is not an issue" thread.
god...
I'm tempted by the 480 Bisley real bad, though I've killed a pickup load of deer with 44's and 45 Colts. If it was blue & rollmarked like their first offerings--for a couple hundred less--I might bite.

I'm also a little perplexed as to why every other handgun thread turns into a 'beat hell outta BFR' thread. Frankly it's getting old. And yes, I know which way I came in and NO, I didn't see a One Way sign.
I know what he's talking about. Excluding CNS damage, wary animals tend to die much more quickly than those that are more "tame". It has nothing to do with pain though, it is exertion caused by an animals instinct to flee, or not, after being injured. They just bleed out faster. The difference can be very obvious, even with the same species. I have found it easier to see in bow kills, where hyrostatic shock does not exist. Also, it is pretty easy to find extreme differences in the "wildness" of hogs. One that has recently gone "feral" may stand in one spot for an hour gurgling, after being shot through both lungs, while one that is truly wild will bolt and die in seconds.
Might be something to this. Every animal will react different. Since I only hunt deer, I seen the same. Some don't even flinch, just walk a ways and will shake heads from blood loss. Others bolt and run when hit.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Jorge, I'm not going to pretend to be a big-bore revolver guy, and will probably get scalded for saying this. Freedom Arms will not warranty a .454 that has had .45's shot through it. They claim that the shorter cartridge will cause slight changes to the cylinder wall at the mouth of the case and MAY cause extreme pressure when the longer cartridges are shot. The Casull already has pressures similar to a .300 Weatherby and doesn't need to be increased.

That said, lots of people shoot them interchangeably without issue, and claim that Freedom Arms just wants to sell extra cylinders for their guns. I don't know. I DO know that you will want to shoot 45's a lot more than 454's.

I go along with the need for more money spent that is stupid. Baker will suck you dry. No harm is caused by shooting the .45 Colt from a .454 at all. Just clean the cylinders.
No pig alive will stand up to the .45 Colt shooting hard cast at about 1000 FPS. Period.

For true elucidation as to his ... issues... just read up on the "still think overpenetration is not an issue" thread.

Maybe so, and I admit to being a nut case but nobody has ever made a revolver shoot like I have. None here has killed so many deer either with them.
NO, I do not hunt pigs but why would there be a difference?
Too many internet warriors without experience. Buy the next gun rag to reinforce yourself.
I defer to Whitworth, he Knows more then all of you EXPERTS put together.
If you think you hurt my feelings. It only shows how stupid you are. Many told Einstein he was wrong. Tesla was right about AC, Edison was wrong. What do we have in common? NOTHING at all but I did the work while some of you live a dream word
Some *** said God, do you know how many mistakes I have made? How many years it took? Bow to Allah for wisdom.
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
No pig alive will stand up to the .45 Colt shooting hard cast at about 1000 FPS. Period.

Exactly, Did you see me say other?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Best ever! I do like the vacuum sealers

Maybe so, and I admit to being a nut case but nobody has ever made a revolver shoot like I have. None here has killed so many deer either with them.
[bNO, I do not hunt pigs but why would there be a difference? [/b]
Too many internet warriors without experience. Buy the next gun rag to reinforce yourself.
If you think you hurt my feelings. It only shows how stupid you are. Many told Einstein he was wrong. Tesla was right about AC, Edison was wrong. What do we have in common? NOTHING at all but I did the work while some of you live a dream word
Some *** said God, do you know how many mistakes I have made? How many years it took? Bow to Allah for wisdom.

Talking about schit you know nothing about again, and going off on lunatic tangents (again). Throwing in being the best revolver shooter ever is a new pipe dream, though.

Par for the course for the DC-suburbanite West Virginian space-case.

That's a thread I started with good intentions to just get people thinking and talking on the subject. It went about as sideways as I've ever seen a thread go.
Originally Posted by GunGeek

That's a thread I started with good intentions to just get people thinking and talking on the subject. It went about as sideways as I've ever seen a thread go.

Give it time...bfrshooter is just starting to hit the sauce and pills.

You know, Patton was probably the best general of the war, but he always had to take a back seat to someone else. Why, because he was such an arrogant prick that no one wanted to listen to him. As brilliant as he was (and I'm not saying you're brilliant, but I'm sure you think so), he became rather ineffective because he couldn't master diplomacy and basic human interactions.

You bludgeon people with your "facts" and "experience" and then belittle and insult anyone who disagrees with you. That's the mark of someone who's pathologically insecure.

If you could set your insecurity aside and learn to tolerate not being worshiped as the end all authority on all things handgun hunting, you could perhaps find a place for yourself here.
...bfrshooter is just starting to hit the sauce and pills.
And he never shares....that's why he has no friends crazy crazy

You know, Patton was probably the best general of the war,

Not even close. AT LEAST there were ten German General Officers that I can think of....
BTW< boys, I hope this thread has been fun, but I just got back from my lease out in the woods. Took my 41 Mag with really hot loads. Too hot to do anything, so no hogs showed up, but I did shoot some and you know what. I'm good with my 41 Mag...
BTW< boys, I hope this thread has been fun, but I just got back from my lease out in the woods. Took my 41 Mag with really hot loads. Too hot to do anything, so no hogs showed up, but I did shoot some and you know what. I'm good with my 41 Mag...

Now what in the heck? You give up too easy! smile
Jorge, you will find the 41 Mag will do just about all the killin' that you might need done on most NA gritters.
But, go find a 480 to shoot. Even a SuperRedHawk would work to get a feel of the recoil and shootability of the round.
I bought my 480 SuperRedHawk when they were first introduced, and have shot cast lead bullets ranging from 310gr. to 425gr. The heavier bullets really start to get hard on the wrists due to torque when you push them near max.
350-380gr. LFN or semiwadcutters at 1100-1200 fps. are more comfortable to shoot as an all around load, and will work great.

That's my $.02.
Originally Posted by RWE
yeah, but wasn't Dan a chopper pilot?

No, he strapped himself to the rotor head and swung 8' machetes. grin
If a heavy loaded 45 Colt won't get it done on a hog then you need to switch to a rifle.

Yup, and not really 'heavy' to get it all done either.

270 gr Thunderheads at 950 is a wonderfully pleasant killer even in my lowly 45 Colt SAA.

And true to all of what has been said of the full bore 454, 335 gr Cast Parformance bullets at 1600 fps is 'booger bear' personified, rude little fooker it is.
Have your fun! the best big bore shooter I ever knew was Whitworth and yes, we shot and hunted together. JWP also knows revolvers. We have had disputes in the past but that does not remove facts. Most of you do not know what a revolver can do.
Whitworth had his new .500 JRH here and shot at a can at 100 yards, it did not move. I took the next shot and this is what we found. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]Then this, a shotgun shell at 100 yards.
[Linked Image]
Tell Whitworth he can't shoot. I made the mold and loads.
some of you are so sad.
Posted By: NH K9 Re: THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR HOGS - 08/15/15
My guess is Mackay would hand you your azz......

It's kinda like being smart or good looking, if you have to tell people you are........
Sighting in the .475 at 50 yards.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Hole in the top of this can is 5 shots at 100 yards with a revolver, other is from a rifle.
You bash me yet my friends do the same so you 7 yard shooters will never do what Me and Whitworth can do. Our 100 yard groups will never be matched by any of you.
You also hurt others that know more. Put up your results or shut up.
Lost picture [Linked Image]
i want to see this idiot go head to head with Paladin grin
There are a bunch of folks here that are rather proficient with handguns.

At Quemado I handed a S&W to mudhen to play with.

After sayin something like "I don't shoot handguns much" he proceeded to ring a steel, off hand and open sights, at 171 yards.

Yeah, there are some folks here that can plain shoot.
yeah not sure what the can pic was meant to show, ill be the first to say i am not much of a handgun shot, been around plenty of guys much, much MUCH better than me but ive killed more than one afternoon hitting more popcans than i missed with a fixed sight Ruger MkII at 100 once i got the hold figured out....hitting target type stuff with the majority of full size handguns at 100 isnt that hard to do with a lil practice....
The .460 S&W will allow you to shoot .45 Schofield, .45 Colt, the .454 Casull and the .460 S&W going from smallest to largest. What's not to like?
The weight.

Took a while, but we got there! Too, I've never understood rationalizing the purchase of a large frame, heavy revolver by planning to fire cartridges in it that can just as effectively be fired from a revolver weighing around 1 lb. less.
If I was set on the purchase of such a behemoth, I'd fill an empty holster with something similar in weight and prowl about in the woods for a day.

Good luck with your choice!

35WN
Originally Posted by 35WhelenNut

Took a while, but we got there! Too, I've never understood rationalizing the purchase of a large frame, heavy revolver by planning to fire cartridges in it that can just as effectively be fired from a revolver weighing around 1 lb. less.
If I was set on the purchase of such a behemoth, I'd fill an empty holster with something similar in weight and prowl about in the woods for a day.

Good luck with your choice!

35WN

Now we are getting somewhere. The most posts on any site are looking for light loads from a gun you should not have to start with. By an X frame .460 and look for .45 Colt loads, DOES NOT WORK!
Buy a .44 and shoot heavy boolits slow because the gun kicks. Does NOT WORK. Do you know why a barrel has twist? You want a 2" barrel in .454, DOES NOT WORK.
Even the .44 can't shoot heavy boolits slow. A million posts that say 1100 fps is enough, WRONG, it will kill but not hit.
These are the touted 1100 fps at 50 yards. You can not hit a deer. [Linked Image]
Same boolit at 200 yards with the right load, Yeah stinking boolit is 330 gr. [Linked Image]
you are a fool if you think the wrong load will shoot.
you are even a bigger fool if you can out shoot whitworth or me.
Some here can shoot but too many are keyboard experts. You show nothing at all. I have hundreds of pictures.
how about a 50 yard group from Whitworths out of box .500 JRH.
[Linked Image]
You have no stinking idea at all. Just armchair shooters.
Posted By: MOGC Re: THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR HOGS - 08/16/15
Mr. Whitworth, I admire your patience in this matter. My guess is that you are a really good guy.

I can easily believe it! Was going to say in regard to your thinking of the Casull and the .480, I have a RRH in 45 Colt; it's a pretty heavy handgun but even so heavy Colt loads in it such as the 325-grain hardcast at 1325 fps (Buff Bore) is all I ever want to shoot in a handgun.

Whatever those loads can't handle I won't be after with a handgun.
Originally Posted by MOGC
Mr. Whitworth, I admire your patience in this matter. My guess is that you are a really good guy.

You will never know. When I say he has hit little bottles of water to near 100 yards off hand from a tree stand and you say we can't shoot revolvers that way, you are also telling Whitworth he is full of it too. I know how he shoots so why he even puts up with most of you shows more tolerance then I have.
Not a single one of you can show anything but bluff from a keyboard.
Whitworth is REAL but some of you read Taffin so you know it all. You can't show a thing beyond 7 yards. You fail with a Ransom rest.
How about showing things?
Posted By: 4ager Re: THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR HOGS - 08/16/15
Originally Posted by MOGC

You will never know. When I say he has hit little bottles of water to near 100 yards off hand from a tree stand and you say we can't shoot revolvers that way, you are also telling Whitworth he is full of it too. I know how he shoots so why he even puts up with most of you shows more tolerance then I have.
Not a single one of you can show anything but bluff from a keyboard.
Whitworth is REAL but some of you read Taffin so you know it all. You can't show a thing beyond 7 yards. You fail with a Ransom rest.
How about showing things?

NO ONE has said word f'kin' ONE about Max being able to shoot or not shoot. NO ONE.

In fact, NO ONE has said word f'kin' ONE about anyone being able to shoot or not shoot, except for you.

Not one post on this thread has questioned Max in any way, shape, or form. Not one. Prove it otherwise, with a post directly questioning Max's abilities. You can't, because no one has even mentioned his ability, except for you.

YOU are the only one to come in dick-waving talking about who can shoot and who can't, alleging that you're the best revolver shooter in the world (and for some reason, you keep trying to drag Max into this).

This thread, just as all the others that you've pulled this schit on - HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU SHOOTING A REVOLVER.

No one cares whether you can shoot a revolver, or has even asked whether you could. No one has said a word about whether Max could shoot, and no one has alleged that he can't.

You continually want to make these threads about you, about your supposed shooting ability. No one cares and no one has asked. No one is going to take you up on your "challenges"; no one is going to "duel" with you; no one is stupid enough to spend their time with an addle brained, chemically unstable, self-medicating buffoon. That includes, if you pay attention, Max who avoids your posts and your bravado like the plague.

Is that clear enough?
Actually. I find the Conspicous silence of Whitworth in theeads where his name is drawn in defense quite peculiar.

i for one am usually stout to defend a friend.

Mind you, this is not an attempt to assassinate Whitworth's character at all, as I find that he seems to be one of THE most knowledgable fellas on her regarding handguns.

Just another buffoon with fingers. I clearly show some know the gun. I do not drag Whitworth in at all because he will set you in your stupid place.
I know the man, shot with him and hunted with him. He has my respect. However he will let things go from stupid but I will not. You are the most stupid I ever encountered.
I fully understand you can't show anything because you do not do anything. Why do you fear showing how smart you are?
You stupid dip, I have worked years to make better shooters and have 500 yard groups better then your 7 yard junk.
I have made everything I learned free but you have a crooked neck to stick it up your butt.
I do not want a single thing from any of you. Then to tell me I am using Whitworth is the last straw. You crossed the line. My friend will make you a pimple on a whores ass.
Why do you fear proof?
Posted By: NH K9 Re: THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR HOGS - 08/16/15
Translation.......
Just another buffoon with fingers. I clearly show some know the gun. I do not drag Whitworth in at all because he will set you in your stupid place.
I know the man, shot with him and hunted with him. He has my respect. However he will let things go from stupid but I will not. You are the most stupid I ever encountered.
I fully understand you can't show anything because you do not do anything. Why do you fear showing how smart you are?
You stupid dip, I have worked years to make better shooters and have 500 yard groups better then your 7 yard junk.
I have made everything I learned free but you have a crooked neck to stick it up your butt.
I do not want a single thing from any of you. Then to tell me I am using Whitworth is the last straw. You crossed the line. My friend will make you a pimple on a whores ass.
Why do you fear proof?

The ONLY person bringing Max into this is you.

Read that over and over until you catch on, or get someone else to do it for you.

As for better groups at 500 than any of us have at 7; that's f'kin' ridiculously stupid.

Here, try this SIGHT-IN target with a .45LC (270 WFN, 10.0 grains of Unique, 5.5" barrel, Ruger Bisley Blackhawk) and IRON sights at 50 yards for comparison.

[Linked Image]

I'll even spot you the three out of the group that were the sighters.

You post a group at 500 yards, WITH IRON SIGHTS FROM A HANDGUN, and it needs to be witness attested, that is better than that, and I'll pay for the next lunch between you and Max.

I'm not even that great of a pistol shot, but I know that an iron sighted revolver at 500 ain't going to beat that one.

As for pistol shooting, yeah, I can do okay. I can and do regularly ring a 12" gong - offhand, standing and unsupported - with a full magazine with a Glock 20 10mm. EvilTwin was there for several of those sessions. He could attest. If I'm shooting for groups with a revolver, I'll pick the S&W 16-4 6" with handloads. It shoots FAR better than I can, but I'll put them all under a snuff can at 100 with iron sights. coyotewallace has seen that and seen my wife do damned near as well. The Tokarev is fun at 175 yards - with iron sights - because that's where the sights are regulated. It'll punch a 18" gong with boring regularity or plink a rugby ball size rock with the same (BT/DT). I believe NH K9 has seen me shoot a touch, as has Scott F and several others.

I ain't bragging, because there are FAR better pistol shots than me, and Max is one of them.

Then again, no one but YOU has drug Max into this and ONLY YOU thinks this is about your shooting prowess.

As stated, many times before, and attested to by your posts - you're either on drugs or need to be.

As for "smarts", I can hold my own in a myriad of categories. There are a bunch of folks smarter than I am, but you ain't one of them if only obviously.
Originally Posted by NH K9
Translation.......

He's drunk or on drugs (or both) again, as is the only constant when it comes to the DC-suburbanite West Virginian.

Well, that and he has to turn every handgun thread into something about him and his ability to supposedly shoot groups and/or kill deer.

Which, again, has nothing to do with this thread.
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Actually. I find the Conspicous silence of Whitworth in theeads where his name is drawn in defense quite peculiar.

Mind you, this is not an attempt to assassinate Whitworth's character at all, as I find that he seems to be one of THE most knowledgable fellas on her regarding handguns.

So true. I defend him all the way. We did have problems and I am so sorry. I shed tears for him and his wife.
I forgive but have pain when he does not.
Marko, will you come back?

So true. I defend him all the way. We did have problems and I am so sorry. I shed tears for him and his wife.

Pretty much as I thought....he thinks you're a fucggkking loon too

He needs no defense as you're the only one bringing him up and dragging him into these threads. You haven't, and perhaps, can't figure that out.

Max posts regularly, but NEVER when you call him out or invoke his name. There's likely a hint there...
Translation.......

He likes Tater Tots.
Great group but how about 5 shots at 50 with a .45 Vaquero.
[Linked Image]
Wow how I am so proud of you.
[Linked Image]

You said 500; not 50. Where's the 500 yard iron sighted group better than the 50 yard group I posted?

I never claimed to be a great revolver or pistol shot; you've claimed to be the best ever and offered 500 yard groups better than anyone's 7 yard groups.

Yet again, the only thing you've tried to do is make this all about you, and YOU are the only one to bring up groups, or Max, or any other bullschit.

As for "smarts", since you brought that up, I submit the command of the English language and grammar as our first "game". You're already well behind in that one.
Feeling grateful for the "Unsubscribe" feature.

Too many arcing yellow streams at this point.
[Linked Image]

You said 500; not 50. Where's the 500 yard iron sighted group better than the 50 yard group I posted?

I never claimed to be a great revolver or pistol shot; you've claimed to be the best ever and offered 500 yard groups better than anyone's 7 yard groups.

Yet again, the only thing you've tried to do is make this all about you, and YOU are the only one to bring up groups, or Max, or any other bullschit.

As for "smarts", since you brought that up, I submit the command of the English language and grammar as our first "game". You're already well behind in that one.

Where are you at 500? I said my best was 2-1/2" at 500. I showed my 50 yard group was better then yours.
It is not about me at all, it has always been to teach how to make a revolver shoot. I can make you shoot such small groups you will fall flat. But you are just too good. SO GOOD all want to know how.
You don't know a thing so go read the rags
What a soap opera.

Another hate-filled dipschitt on ignore. Life is just too short to read stupid schitt like that.
Jorge

As some have said. Shoot whatever you can shoot well. I've got one of the new 5-shot 454's coming in tomorrow and will have a 480 when they are shipped.

My opinion is to go with the 480. They are a joy to shoot. Not abusive at all. I have a 4" Bowen gun and it's a hoot.

I am a huge 45 Colt fan and have been loading it for 30+ years. I have settled on a 310 gr load at about 1100 fps. It's comfortable and will punch through anything. I will only be shooting heavy 45 Colt loads in the 5-shot 454.

Make it fun for you.

Posted By: NH K9 Re: THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR HOGS - 08/16/15
When Whitworth, Mackay or JWP want to school me, I'll listen. You........

I've also witnessed first-hand what Brother Joel (Crimson Tide) can do with a 9mm Sig (IIRC) at about 100 yards. Credibility, get some!
None of you deserve Any knowledge. it is why children are so brain washed. It is so hard to see liberals at gun sites
None of you deserve Any knowledge. it is why children are so brain washed. It is so hard to see liberals at gun sites

Get your own fuggin thread if you want to keep spewing your kook-addled, delusional posts.
The 454 version would be my pick. A lot of latitude ammo-wise, and power-wise.

You could even have a 45ACP cylinder cut for it.
[Linked Image]

Where are you at 500? I said my best was 2-1/2" at 500. I showed my 50 yard group was better then yours.
It is not about me at all, it has always been to teach how to make a revolver shoot. I can make you shoot such small groups you will fall flat. But you are just too good. SO GOOD all want to know how.
You don't know a thing so go read the rags

Sorry, retard, but you said you had 500 yard groups better than anyone's 7 yard groups.

u a pimple on a whores ass.
Why do you fear proof?

You just stated your best at 500 was 2.5", and that was scoped.

I will guarantee that I, and many others, have better than 2.5" groups at 7 yards than 2.5".

You're proving yourself a fool, and likely a chemically-aided fool, time and again.

2.5" at 500 is God damned impressive regardless of the firearm used. Yet, NO ONE has asked you or even insinuated as to how you can shoot. Show, on this thread, where that has been the case (you can't). NO ONE, save you, has brought Max up as an issue in this thread at all. Those are all on you, and frankly no one cares.

You remain a ridiculous, likely drunk or drugged idiot that resides in a WV suburb of DC that acts like he's somewhere worth a schit and someone worth a schit.

Again, no one cares, and all you're doing is proving it.

As to this...

What "knowledge" you may have had to share is lost because you're a buffoon. You've tried the "liberal" bit before, on several threads, and had your ass hand to you time and again. Once again, you haven't a clue and couldn't possibly keep up.

You need help; professional help and lots of it. Seek it, if not for your own benefit then that of your neighbors and others than have to deal with your chemical/psychological issues.
DFTFT

Yeah, yeah... I know.

How many times have I said the same thing?

Still, anyone that tries to drag Max into this schit is "special".

Maybe so, and I admit to being a nut case but nobody has ever made a revolver shoot like I have.

None here has killed so many deer either with them.

If you think you hurt my feelings. It only shows how stupid you are.

Many told Einstein he was wrong.

Tesla was right about AC, Edison was wrong. What do we have in common? NOTHING at all but I did the work while some of you live a dream word

This friends is a glimpse into the mind of a truly dysfunctional brain.

From the interwebs:

"Grandiose delusions (GD) or delusions of grandeur are principally a subtype of delusional disorder that occurs in patients suffering from a wide range of mental illnesses, including two-thirds of patients in manic state of bipolar disorder, half of those with schizophrenia and a substantial portion of those with substance abuse disorders.[1][2] GDs are characterized by fantastical beliefs that one is famous, omnipotent, wealthy, or otherwise very powerful. The delusions are generally fantastic and typically have a supernatural, science-fictional, or religious theme."

Indicators of severe mental health issues based upon BFRs posts:

1. Nobody on the planet of 7.3 Billion people can shoot a revolver like BFR.

2. Nobody has killed as many animals as BFR.

3. Extreme condescension in posts, due to believing he is superior, as stated in his posts.

4. Comparing himself to Einstein.

5. Comparing himself to Tesla.

Extreme narcissism as shown here: "What do we have in common? NOTHING at all".

General non linear ramblings, as shown in almost all of BFR's blathering.

I can almost guarantee if a designated examiner were to interview BFR, he would be immediately put on a mental hold.

Just a guess, but based upon his ramblings, I would lay money on Schizo-Affective disorder.

Cheers!

Here, y'all share this.

[Linked Image]
When Whitworth, Mackay or JWP want to school me, I'll listen. You........

I've also witnessed first-hand what Brother Joel (Crimson Tide) can do with a 9mm Sig (IIRC) at about 100 yards. Credibility, get some!

I was just lucky that day, my friend. smile
pretty sure your one of those that make their own luck Joel
Well, even a blind hog finds an acorn now and then...

[Linked Image]

That's a very nice open sighted 50 yard group that anyone should be proud of.

2.618" is a half minute of angle group at 500 yards, need I say more?
Posted By: HawkI Re: THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR HOGS - 08/16/15
I've got a 360gr. mould that would run nicely seated out in Colt brass at Casull pressure; about the real reason for wanting the 454 version.

The 480 would be more of the same good things but I just couldn't see re-tooling for more brass, moulds and dies when the 45 Colt could run at 454 level. Frontal area could go up, but not that most hogs would notice.
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Here, y'all share this.

[Linked Image]

Who was this comment aimed at?
Posted By: RWE Re: THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR HOGS - 08/17/15
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

ok, I was good with BFR till that one.

No way he's even close.

Tesla! Wooooo!

Originally Posted by 257heaven
Jorge

As some have said. Shoot whatever you can shoot well. I've got one of the new 5-shot 454's coming in tomorrow and will have a 480 when they are shipped.

My opinion is to go with the 480. They are a joy to shoot. Not abusive at all. I have a 4" Bowen gun and it's a hoot.

I am a huge 45 Colt fan and have been loading it for 30+ years. I have settled on a 310 gr load at about 1100 fps. It's comfortable and will punch through anything. I will only be shooting heavy 45 Colt loads in the 5-shot 454.

Make it fun for you.

Thanks for this. As I stated before, I'm not much of a handgun hunter but I just liked the looks of that new Ruger. I am a fan of both the 45Colt and the 41 Magnum, but they only make that Model in 454 or 480, and given what you and other have said here regarding recoil, it sounds like the 480 is the way to go recoil-wise, but the Casull for versatility, and I suppose on can loaded it down as well. Thanks again to you guys. J
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Here, y'all share this.

[Linked Image]

Who was this comment aimed at?

The ones who need it.

You know, Patton was probably the best general of the war,

Not even close. AT LEAST there were ten German General Officers that I can think of....
Should have qualified that further; best allied general.

Yeah, the Germans had some fantastic leaders. I was a fan of Von Manstein.
Better. Von Manstein was a genius and in my view, the best of the best. Allied general, arguably so, he just got a lot of the publicity.

Maybe so, and I admit to being a nut case but nobody has ever made a revolver shoot like I have.

None here has killed so many deer either with them.

If you think you hurt my feelings. It only shows how stupid you are.

Many told Einstein he was wrong.

Tesla was right about AC, Edison was wrong. What do we have in common? NOTHING at all but I did the work while some of you live a dream word

This friends is a glimpse into the mind of a truly dysfunctional brain.

From the interwebs:

"Grandiose delusions (GD) or delusions of grandeur are principally a subtype of delusional disorder that occurs in patients suffering from a wide range of mental illnesses, including two-thirds of patients in manic state of bipolar disorder, half of those with schizophrenia and a substantial portion of those with substance abuse disorders.[1][2] GDs are characterized by fantastical beliefs that one is famous, omnipotent, wealthy, or otherwise very powerful. The delusions are generally fantastic and typically have a supernatural, science-fictional, or religious theme."

Indicators of severe mental health issues based upon BFRs posts:

1. Nobody on the planet of 7.3 Billion people can shoot a revolver like BFR.

2. Nobody has killed as many animals as BFR.

3. Extreme condescension in posts, due to believing he is superior, as stated in his posts.

4. Comparing himself to Einstein.

Extreme narcissism as shown here: "What do we have in common? NOTHING at all".

General non linear ramblings, as shown in almost all of BFR's blathering.

I can almost guarantee if a designated examiner were to interview BFR, he would be immediately put on a mental hold.

Just a guess, but based upon his ramblings, I would lay money on Schizo-Affective disorder.

Cheers!

Frankly shocked Kepler wasn't quoted in BFR's all-star lineup. crazy grin
Pretty sad when a man like Jorge asks a simple question and then it degenerates to bfrshooter's mad rantings. I put him on ignore a while back because of his crap. My advice would be for everyone to do the same.
Well boys (and brf), the GOOD news is I ordered the 454. The BAD news is I don't know when I'll get it. frown
Posted By: RWE Re: THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR HOGS - 08/19/15
Originally Posted by gunner500

Old Johannes knew his way around a solar system, but the guy couldn't find a bullet in a bowl of sauerkraut. All theory.

It wasn't til BFR managed to shoot a 45 WFN around the sun, and had it return 2 hours earlier, that both Kepler and Einstein were vindicated.
Well boys (and brf), the GOOD news is I ordered the 454. The BAD news is I don't know when I'll get it. frown

The hogs are in trouble now! So is my hearing...... smile
Originally Posted by RWE
Originally Posted by gunner500

Old Johannes knew his way around a solar system, but the guy couldn't find a bullet in a bowl of sauerkraut. All theory.

It wasn't til BFR managed to shoot a 45 WFN around the sun, and had it return 2 hours earlier, that both Kepler and Einstein were vindicated.

laugh laugh
I've got a .480 on order.

Good choice, but you couldn't have made a bad choice between the two.
Wasn't BFR mentioned in Keith's Sixguns?
Seems like a nice gun. It should shoot 45 Colt's well...

The 454 is a wicked kicker.
The .480 models are on gunbroker now so should be hitting the bigger gunstores pretty quickly.
I have that same revolver only mine has 5 1/2" barrel. My go to load is the 45-270-SAA semi-wad cutter over 13.5 grains of HS6 for about 1100 fps. It should do most things you would need a sixgun to do.

Ron

Good choice, but you couldn't have made a bad choice between the two.

Hear Hear! I agree 100% with JWP. Congrat's on the new shooter Jorge. The nice thing about that choice is even if you never load it above hot 45Colt levels, you have the comfort of knowing the gun can take it. It should last forever shooting the warm Colt or reduced 454 loads!

Holee she-ite...

Someone really wants to be the first kid on his block to own one.

Bid is at $1,125.00 with over a day to go. I'm guessing the seller is smiling at this one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=503562044
More money than brains...

Jorge, keep us posted with your 454. I have several FA-83's in 454 and I can say that factory (FA) 260-grain ammo is ignorant in the recoil department. You can actually feel the back side of the muzzle blast slap you in the face! However, 300-grain or bigger LFN's or WFN's at 1100 to 1200 make the 454 a real joy to shoot.
Originally Posted by CraigD
More money than brains...

hope so cause $750-800 was what i was hoping the ceiling was gonna be
The price on the 480 just hit 1200.00 and the same bidder already bought one for 1050 just yesterday..

Here's a little load data for the 480

http://www.handloads.com/articles/?id=6

http://www.handloads.com/misc/linebaugh.penetration.tests.asp?year=all
Okay, I understand now.

He wants a pair of them for Cowboy Action Shooting...
Jim
I think, he thinks they will be in short supply on the first production run.
My guess is that that pistol will sell for 1300.00
I heard the 454 is sold out already.
I have one on order with my gun shop which is a fairly large retailer. I'm not paying a cent over what the gun is worth.
JorgeI
I wish I had that luxury, but being in Fairbanks Ak.
We are at the end of the supply line.
Sometimes we pay for it, but the moose hunting is fabulous!
Sorry, I responded without reading the whole thread. I missed the .454 Casull part. Mine is an Accusport Bisley Blackhawk in .45LC. I got mine from my brother's neighbor who was getting a divorce for a sweet price.

Ron
Originally Posted by budman5
Jim
I think, he thinks they will be in short supply on the first production run.
My guess is that that pistol will sell for 1300.00
I heard the 454 is sold out already.

you know your not making my weekend any better with this cheery talk you SOB crazy grin
Score! Just picked it up. Now to find some leads with 300gainers @ 1100-1200 fps...Suggestions welcome grin

[Linked Image]
Great looking pistol Jorge!

You can always just shoot .45 Colt out of same as shooting .38 SPC In .357

I'd say you have a versatile hunting pistol indeed!

Mike
Score! Just picked it up. Now to find some leads with 300gainers @ 1100-1200 fps...Suggestions welcome grin

[Linked Image]

Let's go! I have my M1 carbine in .45 Win Mag itching to blast hogs!
I will be picking up the 454 version. Not necessarily for the max 454 loads, but for the longer case of the 454 to keep loads I don't want to shoot separate, and out of my lighter framed 45's
Concur. Loaded some test loads with 21 7 22 gr of H-110 with 325gr Hard Cast and see where that takes me.

[Linked Image]

I like the looks of this pistola, Jorge! Is this a special production run of 454 Casull's, or what? (Sorry to have to ask, but I gave up trying to read through this thread to find your posts, BFDshooter's mentally deranged posts pretty much swamp the whole discussion...)

I bought one of the 5.5" 45 Colt Bisley's a couple years ago, and tricked it out some:

[Linked Image]

Mods include a trigger job (3.5-lb pull with zero creep), which is a good idea with most Rugers; Chapman grips; Belt Mountain base pin (not shown in this photo); and Bowen Rough Country rear sight. The Bowen sight and the trigger job are a must for a Ruger Bisley you intend to hunt with, IMHO, especially if you're going to load heavy.

I would lean toward heavier bullets at slower velocity in your new gun, from my personal experience with heavy-shooting Ruger Bisley's. Light and fast kicks harder on the shooter end, while slow and heavy kicks less on the shooter end and packs a wallop on the critter end.

In the 454 Casull (which I admit is not a caliber I have worked with nearly as much as 44 Mag and 45 Colt), a 350 gr bullet seems to be about the best weight to meet John Linebaugh's "balance point" between pressure and velocity and hitting power. From one of his excellent articles on his website:

"I have not done nearly enough testing in all the calibers to give you an exact bullet weight/velocity limit for each caliber, but here are my ideas: The .41 Magnum is probably at its best with not over 250 gr. slugs. I will not shoot over 300/320 gr. in the .44 Magnum and my favorites are the 290 Keith and the 320 LBT at not over 1300 fps in 7 1/2" guns. I've done the majority of my testing with the .45 Colt and feel the 350 gr. is about the best heavy of them all and is my maximum recommended weight in this caliber. I have shot 420 gr. cast bullets to some interesting velocities, but they are too big for the gun and well over the balance point for that caliber. I also feel the 350 gr. is a happy weight for the .454 Casull."

http://www.customsixguns.com/writings/heavyweight_bullets.htm

Just keep in mind that the heaviest loads you can run in this gun are not the loads you'll likely find most useful. A 290-325 gr cast bullet at 1100 fps or so will be a mild shooter in your gun, and will kill anything that walks the lower 48.
Posted By: EdM Re: THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR HOGS - 09/30/15
I am curious and sorry if already answered as I have not read the entire thread but is Ruger getting the cylinder throats right on these?

Also, I agree with Doc on loads and almost exclusively run the 270 (weighs 285 grs as cast) RCBS SAA in my original run (2002) Acusport 45 Colt loaded to 1,100 with 13.5 gr of HS6. I tweaked it a bit as well by installing a Clements front sight, Bowen rear, drilled and tapped the original base pin for a locking screw that slips into a recess drilled in the barrel, swapped out the hammer spring with the stiffer one that the Old Army's came with, worked the trigger to a very crisp 2 1/2#, removed all of the scribbles on the cylinder and the barrel safety warning, swapped a Clements ejector rod and, lastly, glass bedded the original grips to the grip frame, leaned and fitted the grips and refinished them. One of my favorite sixguns. For a holster I suggest a Sparks #200 AW. It is a lean, sturdy design that protects the gun while allowing easy access. Mine here is courtesy of Steelhead.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 1Nut Re: THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR HOGS - 09/30/15
I've killed hogs with everything from 357 to 500 S&W. 45LC and 44 mag get it done about equally as well and all that's needed. But what fun is it to shoot the same thing all the time? The 460 S&W and the versatility it provides would be my pick.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 1Nut Re: THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR HOGS - 09/30/15

Fine choice. Let us know when you've shot it!
Posted By: 4ager Re: THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR HOGS - 09/30/15
Originally Posted by EdM
I am curious and sorry if already answered as I have not read the entire thread but is Ruger getting the cylinder throats right on these?

Also, I agree with Doc on loads and almost exclusively run the 270 (weighs 285 grs as cast) RCBS SAA in my original run (2002) Acusport 45 Colt loaded to 1,100 with 13.5 gr of HS6. I tweaked it a bit as well by installing a Clements front sight, Bowen rear, drilled and tapped the original base pin for a locking screw that slips into a recess drilled in the barrel, swapped out the hammer spring with the stiffer one that the Old Army's came with, worked the trigger to a very crisp 2 1/2#, removed all of the scribbles on the cylinder and the barrel safety warning, swapped a Clements ejector rod and, lastly, glass bedded the original grips to the grip frame, leaned and fitted the grips and refinished them. One of my favorite sixguns. For a holster I suggest a Sparks #200 AW. It is a lean, sturdy design that protects the gun while allowing easy access. Mine here is courtesy of Steelhead.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gorgeous pistol, equally nice holster. That rig covers any base that needs to be covered with a handgun and does so in style.
Ed, I'm tickled to see that you and I came to very much the same conclusion as to what constitutes a near-perfect hunting revolver!

I had been working with a 275 gr cast bullet in this gun which shows a lot of promise: it's a LBT-WFN 300 gr 2-cavity mould that has been modified to cast hollowpoint bullets. I got sidetracked mid-project a couple years ago and need to pick it up again.

The reason I went with the HP cast bullet idea is that my hard cast SWC and WFN bullets have been blowing right through deer and hogs, and I thought I might see improved performance with the hollow nose. We shall see.

[Linked Image]
Very nice. The stocks on the two subsequent pistols are excellent as well. Congrats.
Hi guys, I think I have a pretty good and accurate load tested using 325 Hard Cast flat nose lead bullets behind 27.5gr of H-110 and Winchester Small Rifle primers. Right at 1300-40 and good groups. Recoil was very manageable but Brisk!

That sounds good!
I need a little advise, please help me out. About 10 years ago, I got a Ruger Super Redhawk 480 and put a 2x Leupold on it. I really have a hard time seeing through it, especially in low light. The first 15 minutes or the last 15 minutes of daylight, the scope is nonfunctional. I've said for several years that I wanted to get rid of it.

So I bought a 30mm Ultra Dot. The Ultra Dot came with 30mm Weaver type rings, but I bought some 30mm rings for a Super Redhawk made by Weigand. They sucked. They kept coming lose every time I shot it. I kept tightening them up until the clip broke.

So I bought a one piece picatinny rail for it so that I can use the Weaver type rings that came with it, but it requires removing the rear sight. The question is, how do I do that? I don't want to f_ck it up. Gunsmithing ain't one of my strong suits. It appears that there is a little pin that the sight pivots on. Do I just use a small punch to get it out?

Any advise is much appreciated.
Hi guys, I think I have a pretty good and accurate load tested using 325 Hard Cast flat nose lead bullets behind 27.5gr of H-110 and Winchester Small Rifle primers. Right at 1300-40 and good groups. Recoil was very manageable but Brisk!

That ought to work.

To me the minor tweeks I'd make to the bisley are to send it to Jack Huntington for an action job and round butting the grips.
Posted By: EdM Re: THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR HOGS - 10/01/15
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Ed, I'm tickled to see that you and I came to very much the same conclusion as to what constitutes a near-perfect hunting revolver!

I had been working with a 275 gr cast bullet in this gun which shows a lot of promise: it's a LBT-WFN 300 gr 2-cavity mould that has been modified to cast hollowpoint bullets. I got sidetracked mid-project a couple years ago and need to pick it up again.

The reason I went with the HP cast bullet idea is that my hard cast SWC and WFN bullets have been blowing right through deer and hogs, and I thought I might see improved performance with the hollow nose. We shall see.

Great logic Doc. My HP excursion occurred when Dick Thompson offered up his 370 gr HP .475's to me some time ago. They shoot as accurate as hell for me and have dropped big critters for others. I head off to the high Colorado mountains (10,000+ ft) in a couple of weeks and am still deciding the 45 Colt, 475 Linebaugh and 500 Linebaugh. We shall see when the dust settles as they all shoot better than I...
Originally Posted by EdM

Great logic Doc. My HP excursion occurred when Dick Thompson offered up his 370 gr HP .475's to me some time ago. They shoot as accurate as hell for me and have dropped big critters for others. I head off to the high Colorado mountains (10,000+ ft) in a couple of weeks and am still deciding the 45 Colt, 475 Linebaugh and 500 Linebaugh. We shall see when the dust settles as they all shoot better than I...

You should take the 500 Linebaugh, that way you can have a new picture of it sitting next to an Elk, bear or deer instead of just sitting on a work bench in front of a custom rifle grin
That's harsh, dude! ( Good point, though...!)

wink
Posted By: EdM Re: THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR HOGS - 10/02/15
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Originally Posted by EdM

You should take the 500 Linebaugh, that way you can have a new picture of it sitting next to an Elk, bear or deer instead of just sitting on a work bench in front of a custom rifle grin

Dude give me a break. I have not lived in the US for ten years. crazy The 500 L it will be. grin
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
I need a little advise, please help me out. About 10 years ago, I got a Ruger Super Redhawk 480 and put a 2x Leupold on it. I really have a hard time seeing through it, especially in low light. The first 15 minutes or the last 15 minutes of daylight, the scope is nonfunctional. I've said for several years that I wanted to get rid of it.

So I bought a 30mm Ultra Dot. The Ultra Dot came with 30mm Weaver type rings, but I bought some 30mm rings for a Super Redhawk made by Weigand. They sucked. They kept coming lose every time I shot it. I kept tightening them up until the clip broke.

So I bought a one piece picatinny rail for it so that I can use the Weaver type rings that came with it, but it requires removing the rear sight. The question is, how do I do that? I don't want to f_ck it up. Gunsmithing ain't one of my strong suits. It appears that there is a little pin that the sight pivots on. Do I just use a small punch to get it out?

Any advise is much appreciated.

Yes, unscrew the sight adjustment screw and push the pin out. Don't lose the springs or spring under the sight.
Dump the Bisley and put a real grip on. What is it about the stupid grip that draws so many? it is not only UGLY, I will out shoot it every day. How can you make a six gun so ugly?
I owned one for two weeks until I found a fool to buy it. NEVER will another go in my safe.
© 24hourcampfire