Home
I picked up the above mentioned rifle a couple of months ago off Gunbroker. It is a Blue/Walnut model, chambered for 6.5x55. I presently have mounted a Leupold VXII 2x7. I don't have a scale in the house, but I know "tubby" when I pick it up.

I guess the Walnut stick could be traded out, but what kind of weight savings are we talking about? I checked the McM site, and did not see the Edge available in the Ruger handle.

We are working with a 22" tube here as well. I may not be opposed to cutting to 21" and recrowning, but I know that won't make any real difference.

I guess I could just man up and carry the darn thing, but I'll never really learn to love it in this shape.
A for sale sign will get you far and fast............
Originally Posted by PaleWhiteCracker

Another worthless smarta$$ post.

Apparently nobody here is anywhere near your standards in shooting ability or what rifle they choose to use, so why do you even bother?

Rather than throwing your rifles on the ground, try tossing them off a cliff and make sure you jump down after them.
I agree with selling it and getting something he can work with..
"Light" Ruger,is an oxymoron(get someone to explain it to you).

Firstly,the receivers are heavy,as are their rings and bottom metal,as well as their contours.

Your insecurity is wellfounded and stupidiy just as obvious..............
Best way to shave weight on the gun is to first shave weight on the hunter. Seriously you can trim far more weight off the hunter than you can the gun. Go to the gym, work out a little, drop 10 pounds and you'd be surprised how little difference 2 lbs. makes in a gun.
My factory synthetic stocked Ruger MK-2's weigh 7 lbs unscoped. Right at 8 with scope and rings. Not a lightweight, but manageable. The wood stocked versions weigh about 1/4 lb more. Unfortunately there are very few options for a lightweight stock.

Loosing weight in a gym has nothing to do with carrying a gun and just a few ounces can make a huge difference in how a gun carries and balances.
You very obviously haven't tasted a light rifle,done right.

I've rifle of all ilks and the differences are stark,for a multitude of reasons.................
Originally Posted by cal74

Another worthless smarta$$ post.

Apparently nobody here is anywhere near your standards in shooting ability or what rifle they choose to use, so why do you even bother?

Rather than throwing your rifles on the ground, try tossing them off a cliff and make sure you jump down after them.

don't let him get to ya, he may not gently spoon feed it to ya, but the sucka knows some chit on rifles and how they work.

sure he's opinionated, but those opinions seemed to have been formed in doing rather than speculating.

I felt pretty comfortable in riflecraft when I showed up here, but only cause I didn't know how dumb I was on the subject. have learned a lot, had my eyes opened to possibilities I didn't realize existed and am exploring those.

as to the smartazz, yeah guilty as charged, but please be patient with us, it's Alaska, if we ain't killin something, then we're killing time playing with rifles and such or killin each other with who can be the biggest smartazz.

it ain't like we got a lot of options like going to the opry or the ballgame or anything

6x42 scope????? WTF kinda nonsense is that? I was thinking, now the one that resides atop my 7 mag with elevation turrets is making more sense all the time.

if you can stand a little needling there's some stuff a guy can pick up that's pretty danged handy to know. YMMV
Scoring a light handle for a 77,isn't as easy as a 700 either...besides costing more to boot.

Yet another reason for the sign..............
1ak,

I know your words to be true.

Yes, there is an ounce of knowledge buried in each pound of social manure PWC, TM, BS dishes out.............

I am not forced to guess..............
Not the point.
Should you prefer supposition,you'll do well to scroll past my commenting in the firsthand,in regards to wares I know well............
Check on a Basners hi tech.
They are very light.
A little spendy, but not like a McM
had to laff "ounce of knowledge in each pound of social manure"

that was funny

we're trying to get the money refunded back from Dale Carnegie on that class we sent him to......but the tight fisted sumbitches ain't returned a dime so far

they say he was their star pupil, was selling baby carriages to old maids and ice cream to Eskimos by the end of the day. Go figure?

will say I hold him responsible for driving up the price of Ingram knives, still a sweet blade but even sweeter when could be had for a measly buck-buck fifty. damnit jim I hate it when that happens but happy for Gene, hopefully he's able to salt some away, a superior craftsmen should be rewarded for his efforts.
Please suffer me forking through the stakes of hay in your posts looking for any needle of knowledge I might find.

You've been led to water.............
Should add,that you really should take notes because alot of it is going to sail way over your head.

It'll give you something to aspire to.............
I go on my own devices.
You can save some weight replacing the stock. Options include, in order of rising cost, a Ruger factory synthetic stock (I have one on my MK II .30-06), a B&C carbelite (I have this on my tang safety .30-06) , or something higher grade. The 2 options here are worth around 4-6 ounces compared to the walnut. You can also save some weight on the rings. ruger rings are heavy. Millet makes lighter replacements. (save 2 oz)Or, you can hollow out the Ruger rings by drilling a hole down into the lower rings where it won't be visible. Another option is to use lower Ruger rings, if your scope allows. The higher rings weigh more.

I bought the B&C stock on Ebay. The MKII stock (not the skeleton job)I ordered directly from Ruger. The older skeleton MK II stocks should be available used and cheap.

My KM77 MKII .30-06 weighs 8 lb 4 oz with a Bushnell 3200 3-9x on it. (foul weather rifle) My M77R .30-06 with the B&C stock goes 7 lb 13 oz with a Leupold 2-7x.
I reckon you gotta tell yourself something,but lies like that ain't gonna getcha far................
Originally Posted by JMR40
Loosing weight in a gym has nothing to do with carrying a gun and just a few ounces can make a huge difference in how a gun carries and balances.

The OP said nothing of balance...he asked how to make the gun lighter. Suggesting it weighs more than he is willing to carry comfortably. Even going so far as to suggest to himself cutting off 1" of barrel length. That is desperate my friend.
If you think carrying around 10-15 extra pounds of body has no effect, either you haven't been on much of a walk or you have been in shape.
I am in shape and to be honest a few ounces isn't going to make jack shxt difference to me.
"Millet makes lighter replacements. (save 2 oz)"

Hands down, Millet rings are the softest trash rings on the market, period.
That was an impressive series,of poor advice............
Not to be cought sounding like you - talking about myself mostly - I quite like where my devices have got me so far. Prospects not to cloudy either.

Rather curious that you can't get out of first gear,on this Thread alone.

I'd call that par,for you.....................

Heck - my bad. I did not know we was racing.

I'm not fun to race either.

This will be hilarious. Let's see a pic of you with a Ruger rifle of any flavor and something dead next to it............
Just checked my files - I tool 43 big game animals with my .30-06 Ruger 77 MKII before I sold it to a friend. That was from 99 till 01, before all the digi business. So I have no pics to provide. Just the screenshot of the relevant page from my log:

[Linked Image]

Sorry for the bad quality, just seen it now.
I like Rugers, I have two mk II's, a .308 ultralight and a 350 rem mag. Both very accurate rifles.

That said, PWC cut to the chase in advising you to sell it. Let's say you get a featherweight synthetic stock made, and have the action milled out and the barrel fluted. You'll be out about $500 for the stock, and $500 for the machine work. The rifle won't be any better then say a Kimber montanna, and likely still heavier.

The point is, if you really want a light rifle, don't compromise or waste your money. Let's say you dump $1000 in the ruger and you still aren't happy with it. At best you'd get $700-800 after dumping $1k plus the price of the rifle. With a Kimber montanna or remington ti, you can get a used one for a tad under $1k, and if you don't like it, sell it for what you paid for it.
Originally Posted by JMR40
My factory synthetic stocked Ruger MK-2's weigh 7 lbs unscoped. Right at 8 with scope and rings. Not a lightweight, but manageable. The wood stocked versions weigh about 1/4 lb more. Unfortunately there are very few options for a lightweight stock.

I was thinking 8lbs with rings and (depending) scope would be about as light as you could probably get a Mk II. I put mine in a McMillan and it definately handles and balances better for me, although I wouldn't call it "light". As much as I really like M77 Mk II's, I don't really think there is a cost effective way to make them a lightweight.
I just checked back on this, and nearly passed out when I saw it had gone to 30 replies. I see why now. Poor old PWC is like Ric Flair back in the day. Half the people come to see him, the other half come to boo him. Either way, he knows a great deal and spins a good tale to boot.

I decided that I like the cartridge, but I didn't like the rifle. I just took it and traded it.

I got a kick out of the post that said I should go to the gym. Not knowing me, I guess it is fair enough, but I spend several hours a week in the gym and it isn't that I can't carry an 8.5 pound rifle, it's just that I don't want to. Balance is the factor for me. The extra weight just isn't needed. The swede just doesn't justify a hunting rifle with that much weight on it.

So anyway, I am glad that I didn't miss some glaring way to salvage that rifle. I do appreciate all the posts, and thanks for taking the time.

CT
I only have one Ruger rifle--a MKII .30-06 wood/blue. In the house, I like it a lot. The action, the balance, the profile, about everything. But...that thing is a club. I never tote it afield because it means I am leaving my other .30-06 home--a 700 SS w/a mtn contour bbl in a Hunter's Edge stock. They shoot the same round, but the Ruger requires 2 pounds more to get it done. Hard to justify, so I don't.
Wade,
It puts me in mind of the thread where you take 1,000.00 and set yourself up with a hunting rifle. Many votes for the Ruger and a Leupold 3x9 in .30-06 or .270.

If I only had one rifle to hunt deer, elk, black bear, etc. with, I can see that the the fullsize Ruger is a sound option.

I have a fullsize option in the safe though, and it is a Remington 700 classic chambered for the .280. I held it and the Ruger/Swede side by side, and even though the Remington has a Leupold 3.5x10 on board, it weighs roughly the same. I can sling 160 grainers at 2800 out of that rifle, they do 2500 or so out of the swede. I'm just a hillbilly, but I can see that isn't a smart trade.

I could have kept the Ruger, but it would have seen the field once or twice maybe before I retired it.
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
I picked up the above mentioned rifle a couple of months ago off Gunbroker. It is a Blue/Walnut model, chambered for 6.5x55. I presently have mounted a Leupold VXII 2x7. I don't have a scale in the house, but I know "tubby" when I pick it up.

I guess the Walnut stick could be traded out, but what kind of weight savings are we talking about? I checked the McM site, and did not see the Edge available in the Ruger handle.

We are working with a 22" tube here as well. I may not be opposed to cutting to 21" and recrowning, but I know that won't make any real difference.

I guess I could just man up and carry the darn thing, but I'll never really learn to love it in this shape.
.............On the Ruger site, there is no weight listing for your particular MK2. But the new 22" Hawkeyes in 257 Bob, 270 Win and others with 22" barrels list from 7 lbs to 7.5 lbs.

Add on the approx 10.5 oz 2x7 Leupy + scope rings, you`re about 3/4 to a pound heavier. So my best guess is that your rifle weighs from about 7 3/4 lbs up to maybe topping around 8 1/2 - 8 3/4 lbs.

Cutting the barrel down to 21" won`t do anything or very little to decrease the weight. Changing the scope won`t really do much either. So, you either sell it or swap the stock and then keep it. Depending on the stock, a lighter stock as a best guess, will probably reduce the weight by about a pound to 1 1/2 lbs.

If you got a good deal on it, is a good shooter and if you can find a lighter weight stock at a good price then keep it.

Until then, buy some weights and get a little pumped up??????

I decided that I like the cartridge, but I didn't like the rifle. I just took it and traded it.
CT
...................Whooops! I started typing before I read your last post!! I see you traded it!
All my Rugers went down the road after the faux Ti Remmy appeared on the radar screen.

First thing that came to my mind as well.
Originally Posted by cmg
1ak,

I know your words to be true.

Yes, there is an ounce of knowledge buried in each pound of social manure PWC, TM, BS dishes out.............

It's true. One can ladle out the cess pool to find a gem for the lady; doesn't mean they won't retain a fragrance however. A bit of dog stink goes a long ways.

As for a "standard weight" rifle like the Ruger (or Win 70), as has been said, there isn't a lot which can easily be done if you won't accept the birth weight of the receiver, etc. A light rifle starts elsewhere. However, balance can fool you into thinking otherwise, and there are ways to deal with some of that. Of course, if a M77 is what you want, but light, you can always get an Ultra-light. 6.5 isn't standard however I don't think.
I guess I am going to put the light weight rifle on hold till the new 84L comes out. I would like to take a look at one in .25-06.

I bought a Montana from Bigwhoop last year. It was one of the .257 Roberts. The magbox was a little snug for me, but I admit that I never shot it before I sold it.

Probably should have kept it, and maybe I'll look at getting another one.

Till then, I will likely hunt with another one of the rifles in the safe.
I knew it was gonna be funny,though I certainly had no idea it was gonna entail a chart,in regards to a rifle that no longer exists.

That's pretty good stuff!................
I've never cussed a Ruger and have had rather a passle,thinking very highly of them in general. They don't do light.

Over the counter,the 1st Gen s/a .473" Ti's were/are wonderous. Faux specimens fall in a similar slot.

The Montucky 223 and 243 are spot on,though the 7-08 and 308 are throated too long. Their 7Whizzum is as good as it gets.

Your ruger would make a rather dandy midweight or even heavyish weight Play Toy,but light ain't gonna happen...............

I did know where a 1st Generation Ti was on a dealer's shelf, but it was a .270. I have tried a couple of times to fall in love with that cartridge, but no luck.

Mrs. Tide hunts with a .243, and I guess it would make a lot of sense to have another one to load for. If for no other reason than Lapua brass.

The Rugers have always been good to me. They are tougher than a Coal Miner's boot, and the company stands behind them. The weight issue is there, and as far as I can tell, (and with the help of the campfire)there is nothing that can be done about it, a solid benchpress notwithstanding.
They are what they are and in their realm,they's Big Medicine..................
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I like Rugers, I have two mk II's, a .308 ultralight and a 350 rem mag. Both very accurate rifles.

That said, PWC cut to the chase in advising you to sell it.

The OP didn't ask "whats the lightest production rifle around" he asked a question on how to lighten up a specific rifle that he just bought. Pretty straight forward question...
i have a Remington M700 CDL in 280 remington that weighs a tad over 8lb with a Conquest 3-9x40. For grins I also weighed my 300RSAUM Ruger M77 Mark II topped with a Vortex 3-9x40 and the Ruger weighed 8.75 lb.; and of course the remington is 24 inch barrel vice 22 on the Ruger. Rugers are definitely porky.
Originally Posted by KCBighorn
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

That said, PWC cut to the chase in advising you to sell it.

The OP didn't ask "whats the lightest production rifle around" he asked a question on how to lighten up a specific rifle that he just bought. Pretty straight forward question...

I hear you KC. Nobody really came out and said it at first, but I guess the problem is this: Many have tried to effectively lighten Rugers, and it just isn't easily or cost effectively done. If you want to send one to a 'smith to skeletonize everything that can shed steel and screw on a new barrel and have a custom stock made, I suppose you'd get there. But, why spend all that coin to get something that exists elsewhere for less? Sell the Ruger for $425, and combine that with another $400 to get a used Kimber and you're there.

I don't know the first thing about rifles generally, but I've been around the block once trying to lighten my own Ruger, and there just isn't a sensible way to do it. Joel can do what he wants but I like him too much to suggest anything besides sell it if he wants a light rifle. I am keeping my Ruger simply because it shoots well, looks nice, and functions well. It feels about as sturdy as any rifle I've ever handled. But if I needed it to be light, it would have to go.

Anyway, I don't think anyone was trying to purposely dodge the original question or give Crimson Tide a hard time. It was just cutting to bottom line real fast. Have a good one!

I guess I am going to put the light weight rifle on hold till the new 84L comes out. I would like to take a look at one in .25-06.

I have a .25-06 Rem 700 SS SPS I could part with. It ain't light and it won't be cheap, but when it's shooting critters, it's a thing of beauty! LOL!
I hear ya Waders. You have some very good points. BUT what if a guy really likes his Ruger, but wants to know if theres anything to do to lighten it up a bit?
No doubt that theres lighter rifles out there, with more aftermarket choices = Remington's. smile
I really like Rugers, but yeah, I wish they were a bit lighter sometimes.
I see the OP traded the rifle...
Probably best, never was much of a Ruger man myself. I did go through a #1 phase... glad thats over!
I own a Ruger All Weather in 280 Remington. It weighs 8.5 lbs all up. Light, no. I have carried that gun on 45 registered kills with 47 shots. Not once did I ever think I needed more cartridge or a lighter gun. Even with its 11# jerk-trigger it will stack 150 CoreLokts into a 1/2" every trip to the range. I originally bought it as a repeater when the fancy would strike me for hogs. I still prefer my single shots but I have zero reservations to carrying the Ruger when I want. It is like an old faithful .22, it hits what it is aimed at. It works in the cold, sleet, ice, snow, dirt & grime.

8.5 lbs is not considered light but my lightest shooter is 7.5 lbs so the extra pound is of no significance to me. I had it in a McMillan at one point but I subsequently decided to go with the original synthetic stock.

I'd love to find a boat paddle stock for it.
It is, is it not?

KC And The Dumbshine Band says: "The OP didn't ask "whats the lightest production rifle around" he asked a question on how to lighten up a specific rifle that he just bought. Pretty straight forward question..."

Rather humorous that it was so straight forward,that the answer stumped her(again).

Par................

Years ago I had a M700ADL walnut and a tang safety M77, both in 25-06. The Ruger weighed nearly a pound more than that old ADL walnut, having a much stouter barrel, for starters. Got rid of both, eventually wound up with the Ruger again.

For whatever reason, it's extry heft no longer bothers me?

Know someone that had a M70 in 6.5 Swede they wanted shed of, fairly sure it was a featherweight? Can check to see if he still has it, how much the "freight" is?

Guessing he's had it for at least 20-25 years from new, know it's not been used too hard. Doubt he's hunted it much since he killed a red-headed blackie in Canada with it, 'bout 18 years ago.
Larry you might want to get another phonebook or two to put on your booster seat. It will allow you to see the screen better, leading to improved reading comprehension.
He seems to thrive on "short jokes", but I've always resisted the temptation, even if it's a pretty long poke from up there, to PA.

He could likely make it down to OR in a day's drive? Seems he ain't too busy at the moment, or he wouldn't be in here all day pokin' people. ;O)

we're trying to get the money refunded back from Dale Carnegie on that class we sent him to..

1akhunter

Charm School mighta worked better? They could've taught him to walk correctly with a saw balanced on his head. All while reciting ballistic tables with perfect enunciation and poise.
All my Rugers went down the road after the faux Ti Remmy appeared on the radar screen.

Smart man.
Just checked back on this thread this morning. It reminds me that we all get a tad hateful and testy just before the deer season kicks off, for some reason.

I had this rifle in the safe for a couple of months, trying to decide whether to keep it or not. Finally decided that the weight issue was what was keeping me from buying into it completely.

I think about options alot while I am driving or mowing, that type of thing. I couldn't come up with any real way to shave off enoughh weight to justify keeping it. Had it been a Tikka, it would still be out there.

After I had come up empty handed for ideas, I just opened a thread on the campfire and trusted that I would hear the truth, good or bad, about the options that I had.

That is exactly what I got. I was relieved to hear that I had sufficiently thought it through before posting, and that those with more experience than me had already been down that road and come up with the same answer. There is no cost effective way to take a MarkII Ruger and make it lose a significant amount of weight.

The advice, or opinions of posters who said an 8.5 pound rifle wasn't really heavy is also true. I already have a couple of those, however, and they usually stay in the safe. They are necessary, but not for the whitetail hunting I do.

I will say this, as I get close enough to scare 40 to death, I have begun to adhere to the motto: Work SMARTER not HARDER. I can hump a 12 pound rifle if I have to, but I am smart enough to know I don't need to for the animals I hunt and the area I hunt them in.
Replace the barrel and action. wink
I have a 25-06 with fairly stout Douglass SS barrel on an FN M98 action. It also has a hefty laminated varminter stock w/wide fore end and a 6x24x40 scope, weighs close to 9.5lbs, a bit more with the Harris attached.

I have toted it into the field a few times in deer season, but it normally sits in the cabin, where it can be snatched-up and taken outside to peck a deer across the valley, if need be. Have done that a few times over the years, when deer come out @ 400+ yards and I'm dawdling at camp during lunch, or gettin' dried off from the weather.

I've decided that's the best place to leave it sit.
KC And The Dumbshine Band,

Consider this ripe opportunity to hang a pic of you and your Ruger in action.

Keep flapping your yap,about those things you nuttin' about,as only you can.......................
dube,

AK is a might larger than you can fathom and you don't "drive" to much of it.

Gotta admit,when it comes to shouldering a load,there are few in a like realm and it do humor me to make it look easy...mainly because it is(for me).

Hardly secreted that I talk purty too..................
They are not lightest, but I feel they are one of the best values out there! I sold a few thinking I had to have light and wish I had them back!
They are a solid value, and a quality rifle. It's just that if you are looking for a 6 3/4 to 7 pound rifle, you need to look in a different aisle.
I bought a walnut Hawkeye stock from Ruger for my 6.5 MKII. $252.00 delivered. It's a drop in fit. I went from a 2.5-8 Leupold to a 2-7. Total weight loss was a half pound, 7 oz from the stock and 1 oz on the scope. To me it handles a lot better but I think part of that is the slimmer stock. I like it but it's still not a 7 pound rifle. Don't know if I'd do it again. That's right much money and a little less optics to knock off a half pound, looks good though.
Originally Posted by dubePA
He seems to thrive on "short jokes", but I've always resisted the temptation, even if it's a pretty long poke from up there, to PA.

He could likely make it down to OR in a day's drive? Seems he ain't too busy at the moment, or he wouldn't be in here all day pokin' people. ;O)

Can't argue that he doesn't have anything better to do part... As far as the dwarfism is concerned I don't know. Obviously it is causing him a great amount of pain and that is where the acting out comes from.

In psychological terms it's known as "Over Compensating". It's where a person who has a deficency (in Larry's case his height, or lack of) causes them to try to "one up" others in a desperate attempt to distract any attention from their own problems. He's a textbook case. Notice how many times he tries to act "manly" because he works on a oil rig. Or the logging pictures, which he doesn't do anymore. It's sad...

Theres others on this site who work on the North Slope. Of course they don't have the emotional baggage that Larry has, so you wont see them making fools out of themselves like Larry does so often. Again, very sad...

As far as traveling down to Oregon is concerned he's been invited just recently by another Campfire Member and he declined to come...

If you need additional proof of the psychological clusterphuck that is Larry just check back to this page, and enjoy the show.

P.S.- Hey Larry, do you get those Butt Pirate stickers you put on your rifles at your local gay bar? Are they available to heterosexuals?
cracker is right, if you want light, you want a rem.

You whine so veddy veddy nice. I'm deeply humored that the things I do on an off day,exceed your wildest dreams and that it is such a sword in your side,that I'm not forced to guess about subjects I know in exacting detail and am rather at ease in their discussion. You are in awe and rightly so...though you reliably get pizzy when asked to hang a pic,muse vocation or banty something in particular. You find solace in generalizations,quips from the back of the crowd and the lackluster underarm toss of a rock that Oprah could top as a defense mechanism.

Now I don't work on an Oil Rig and never have,though the boys are always trying to entice me,because I'm often there to save their day. Can't blame them there,as it'd be great for morale and production. To date,I've never seen a gal on a Rig and I reckon for that reason and to satiate your copious shortcomings,you could term the vocation "manly" and yet another sumptin' beyond your meager abilities.

Haven't met anyone on The Slope,nor anywhere else,who shoots as much as I. What I have seen is a bunch of gents come for a visit and race home to feverishly build rifles to allow them to do the things they've done with mine. No shame there and I reckon it a pretty good call.

Now Cutting is very truly something for the rugged of the most rugged and it burns your panties enough that you ain't of the ilk,that you are forever trying to pass the buck there. It isn't on my shoulders or those of anyone else,that you aren't up to the task physically or mentally. Most ain't and then some.

As per always,your safezone is homosexual musings,which is an AO in which I couldn't slight your likely having vast experience within.

Congratulations?...............

You whine so veddy veddy nice. I'm deeply humored that the things I do on an off day,exceed your wildest dreams and that it is such a sword in your side,that I'm not forced to guess about subjects I know in exacting detail and am rather at ease in their discussion. You are in awe and rightly so...though you reliably get pizzy when asked to hang a pic,muse vocation or banty something in particular. You find solace in generalizations,quips from the back of the crowd and the lackluster underarm toss of a rock that Oprah could top as a defense mechanism.

Now I don't work on an Oil Rig and never have,though the boys are always trying to entice me,because I'm often there to save their day. Can't blame them there,as it'd be great for morale and production. To date,I've never seen a gal on a Rig and I reckon for that reason and to satiate your copious shortcomings,you could term the vocation "manly" and yet another sumptin' beyond your meager abilities.

Haven't met anyone on The Slope,nor anywhere else,who shoots as much as I. What I have seen is a bunch of gents come for a visit and race home to feverishly build rifles to allow them to do the things they've done with mine. No shame there and I reckon it a pretty good call.

Now Cutting is very truly something for the rugged of the most rugged and it burns your panties enough that you ain't of the ilk,that you are forever trying to pass the buck there. It isn't on my shoulders or those of anyone else,that you aren't up to the task physically or mentally. Most ain't and then some.

As per always,your safezone is homosexual musings,which is an AO in which I couldn't slight your likely having vast experience within.

Congratulations?...............

I rest my case...
And I'll assume that's a NO on the butt pirate stickers???
The Jolly Roger nets an extry 50fps and keeps the window lickers busy,licking windows.

Is this where I hang a pic of a Splendid Beastie slain with one of my Rugers or should I wait a smidge and give you more slack on the rope?

Mmmmmmmmm...decisions,decisions...............

Perhaps people need a lighter rifle by which to suspend a Hubble scope. For much ordinary hunting, there is nothing wrong with a fairly ordinary weight rifle wearing a fairly ordinary scope.

[Linked Image]

It's a combination which works.

[Linked Image]

And he didn't just pose for the shot.

What can I say? I needed to shoot at something to break in the barrel.
Increased performance,housed within a superior wrapper,much interests me.

A guy can have his cake and eat it too...................
I ordered up an All Weather Hawkeye in .308, had the bolt skeletonized and barrel fluted. Put a Leupold FX-II 6X36 with Leupold low mounts on it. As is with no sling and 4 150grn ABs it's 7lb-14oz, suspect it'll go over 8 with what ever sling I choose. I like Rugers, shoots good enough, and it's pretty.

40 years ago weight didn't mean much. I could carry what ever I needed, where ever I needed to go, and I did. Today 40 years later and past 60, weight still doesn't mean that much. I've learned I don't need to go all that distance laugh , but it was fun.
Tough for me to leave the house,without my 1st Gen Ti 7-08 in tow....................
"Now Cutting is very truly something for the rugged of the most rugged and it burns your panties enough that you ain't of the ilk,that you are forever trying to pass the buck there. It isn't on my shoulders or those of anyone else,that you aren't up to the task physically or mentally. Most ain't and then some."......lol, "cutting" is for the dudes who couldent hack it in the power lineman apprenticeship.
Girls climb telephone poles.

For starters...............
lol, nice try
It wasn't an attempt,though it was a reiteration of simplistic fact..................
like i said, logger=chest size 58, hat size 2.... simple indeed.
Always humorous when someone doing women's work,wishes to comment in regards to those things they know far less than nothing about.

Please do continue....................

Couldn't agree more, the telephone poles are for the ladies. Now standing 80 plus on the vertical with only 3/8 inch steel holding you up there swinging in the breeze adds a little sport to it.

Don't know chitt about cuttin, but can safely assume it ain't for the skeered nor meek.
Dogged into a tree at 100+ feet up and topping same,with no place to go,is fairly sporty in and of itself. In a best case scenario.

Few can appreciate that which goes on routinely,within a strip on tough ground.

I've seen alotta blood..................

i know for sure your girl climbs on top my pole. whistle must be the higher IQ she likes
You are more than welcome to your fantasies,as I've no doubt they help ease the burden of your realities...............
Here's a few picts of putting up Osprey nests on some energized 115kv. Putting the nests up keep the bastids from building in undesirable places.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Dogged into a tree at 100+ feet up and topping same,with no place to go,is fairly sporty in and of itself. In a best case scenario.

Few can appreciate that which goes on routinely,within a strip on tough ground.

I've seen alotta blood..................

add a few hundred thousand volts and then it would be sporty.
I'm impressed with your stupidity..................
cool pics powerguy, heres one of me getting ready to change out glass on a hot 500kv line. [Linked Image]

Don't be, he sounds like the typical young lineman. It's a natural progression as he adds years to his career he will realize what little he truly knows at this juncture.
Originally Posted by Powerguy

Don't be, he sounds like the typical young lineman. It's a natural progression as he adds years to his career he will realize what little he truly knows at this juncture.
i have more than a few yrs. hot sticking transmission, and i'm far from a "young lineman"
Bitching or bragging?................
Originally Posted by yukon375

i have more than a few yrs. hot sticking transmission, and i'm far from a "young lineman"

Well, I've 20 years in the biz and I'm just gettin the noob wore off.

Your arrogance is in indirect proportion to your experience. I've seen 20 years of the same thing. Hell I was there 15 years ago myself. Can't bullchitt a player my friend

ya got 5 yrs on me in the biz. but thanks for the young lineman complement, i can still climb with em.

Well, I've 20 years in the biz and I'm just gettin the noob wore off.

Your arrogance is in indirect proportion to your experience. I've seen 20 years of the same thing. Hell I was there 15 years ago myself. Can't bullchitt a player my friend
"Well, I've 20 years in the biz and I'm just gettin the noob wore off."... must be power company..........
Laughin
"Your arrogance is in indirect proportion to your experience."....my arrogance comes from being on an EHV crew for the last 9 yrs working it hot. although you could prob. show me a thing or two on house services or on urd. whistle btw, are you ibew?
I've got a Ruger tang safety custom that my former local rifle maker took a full pound off of w/o shortening the barrel or replacing the heavy, 36 oz. McMillian stock. Same scope as well. I've PM'ed you the details. E
"Your arrogance is in indirect proportion to your experience."....my arrogance comes from being on an EHV crew for the last 9 yrs working it hot. although you could prob. show me a thing or two on house services or on urd. whistle btw, are you ibew?

Keep chest beating youngster

Laughing Louder Now
yep, just as i thought, rat......

i know for sure your girl climbs on top my pole. whistle must be the higher IQ she likes

Pretty low-class comment there Yukon... So much for polite Canadians.

Powerguy
In the summer of '77 I was spotter (summertime residential wireman working through college) on a stormy, blowing, midnight line repair and was under a bucket when a guy lost both arms in a blinding flash...
art
ya that was a lil rude, my Apologies to PWC for that one.
Politeness??...........in the thick of a manure spreader race??? Isn't that holding our Canadian friends to a higher standard?
Mistakes can have harsh consequences.

Two weeks ago I went to the funeral services of a 30 year guy who worked for a transmission contractor. He was considered a "fast" worker.

He leaves behind a wife and two kids.

Still a very safe job when two things are adhered to:

1. Leave your ego at the door

2.Remember to follow the safety rules (written in blood) and you will go home to see your family. (Barring any mechanical failure)

I've always said there were two types of lineman:

1. The chest beating "I'm a LIIIIIINEMAN" type

2. The Joes like myself that it's just a job, a mighty well paid one at that.

Couldn't agree more, the telephone poles are for the ladies. Now standing 80 plus on the vertical with only 3/8 inch steel holding you up there swinging in the breeze adds a little sport to it.

Don't know chitt about cuttin, but can safely assume it ain't for the skeered nor meek.

Getting 550 ft up a guyed tower and slapping on 12 ft dish antennas ain't for the weak at heart either. The skinny triangle shaped bastid likes to move a bit in the wind and that's a constant on the coast, especially WELL above the treetops.
Originally Posted by High_Brass

Getting 550 ft up a guyed tower and slapping on 12 ft dish antennas ain't for the weak at heart either. The skinny triangle shaped bastid likes to move a bit in the wind and that's a constant on the coast, especially WELL above the treetops.

I'd have to agree sir
ya, whatever dude. one thing about your pick, ya got the digger there, why dident you roll in a 70 and save yourself a climb? i donno call me stupid, but thats what i would have done.
I'll bet the stock feels clubby, but I'll also bet the rifle w/ scope is about 8#, heavy by no means.

You can trim up the stock a good bit to make it feel better (cutting down the outside), hollow out the butt, even lop off the barrel to 20 inches (w/ the 6.5, it shouldn't do dramatic harm).

I'd keep the barrel the same, work on the "feel" not the weight. Or get rid of it...
yukon,

No need to apologize...you are simply a creature of your environment and I dig on the notion that you think it's sumptin'.

Do continue.................
Riding a shotgun carriage 1500' off the deck,while straddling a log and for the weak of heart.

Your only life line,is your kharma? Hardly secreted that Baby Jesus loves me...and that I've seen 'em smoked all around me...............

Two weeks ago I went to the funeral services of a 30 year guy who worked for a transmission contractor. He was considered a "fast" worker.

2.Remember to follow the safety rules (written in blood) and you will go home to see your family. (Barring any mechanical failure)

.............ya? well first off talk about safty rules? hows come your up past hot 115 and your handline is not a hot rope? 20 yrs in the biz huh, maybe 19 as a meter reader? another thing that leads me to belive that the line was dead was that most guys who climb through 115 on wood talk about getting whacked with static from the groundwire and 80 ft. becomes the last thing on there mind. go back to slingin' your 30ft class 5's with your lil digger, and your secondaries, and leave the highline to hands that know how to work it. i'm begining to think your not qualified to carry my tools to the pole. 80 ft up eh? that would mean a 90-95 ft pole(rem 10% plus 2) thats pretty high for a 115 h structure, road crossing maybe? most 115 has 65 footers. 230 has 80-90's like u said, ya can't bullshit someone who does the work.
And all this macho mega-bluster has what relevance, exactly, to shaving some excess weight from a M77 MkII? And what's up with a PA plate on a Wrangler, having anything to do with the Yukon?

sleep

Perhaps there's a forum here for Lineman of The Year, but doubt it's this one?
Originally Posted by dubePA
And all this macho mega-bluster has what relevance, exactly, to shaving some excess weight from a M77 MkII? And what's up with a PA plate on a Wrangler, having anything to do with the Yukon?

sleep

Perhaps there's a forum here for Lineman of The Year, but doubt it's this one?
ya, sorry for the highjack, and i am from pa and thats my plate. as far as the org. post, i think cracker nailed it long time ago. and as far as powerguy, if hes 20 yrs in and still wearing off the noob as he says, i think maybe a new line of work is in order.

.............ya? well first off talk about safty rules? hows come your up past hot 115 and your handline is not a hot rope? 20 yrs in the biz huh, maybe 19 as a meter reader? another thing that leads me to belive that the line was dead was that most guys who climb through 115 on wood talk about getting whacked with static from the groundwire and 80 ft. becomes the last thing on there mind. go back to slingin' your 30ft class 5's with your lil digger, and your secondaries, and leave the highline to hands that know how to work it. i'm begining to think your not qualified to carry my tools to the pole. 80 ft up eh? that would mean a 90-95 ft pole(rem 10% plus 2) thats pretty high for a 115 h structure, road crossing maybe? most 115 has 65 footers. 230 has 80-90's like u said, ya can't bullshit someone who does the work.

Answers as follows:

1. That is a hot line rope direct from our hot stick trailer

2. We have to maintain a 44" clearance from 115 kv, we certainly have that in the above photos

3. My favorite is your statement of "most guys" meaning you have no experience for yourself. Get a wrap from the BB wire.
Our rules indicate the need to double belt any structure 138kv and up. Never been wrapped by the BB on 115kv unless working in 345 corridors where induction becomes a huge issue. Parallel circuits etc.

4. No where in my pictures did I indicate that the pictured structures were 80'ers. I did post to PWC that standing swinging in the breeze 80' up is sporty though.

5. Once again you stated" I believe this line is dead" Well if it were dead then our rules require grounds and a pole band bonding the structure that we are on. Don't see that in the picture do you?

It's neat that you are excited to post, but the facts are not in your favor again. cry

You are a prime example of one of the two types of linemen that I described.

I'm a Lineman, I'm a Lineman,I'm a Lineman
You can't carry my tools to the pole
AAAAAHHHH hear me roar!!!!!!!!! (Chest Beat inserted)

When in reality you work for a contractor just looking to get that power company job?

Continue on, I look to your next informative work related post regarding the above photos.

Not sure if your married or not but now may be the time to reevaluate ones ego so it doesn't get you into trouble. Your family doesn't deserve it.

Work safe there Linemaster, be sure to get back quickly now grin

And still Laughin

like cracker sez, your stupidity is glaring. i can see you have not a clue what your talking about. power company at it finest.........a poly for a hot rope, have at er bub.
like cracker sez, your stupidity is glaring. i can see you have not a clue what your talking about. power company at it finest.........a poly for a hot rope, have at er bub.

UH OH Your facts are wrong again, PWC was referencing you my friend> grin

A quick check of the thread will show that, but I posted it so you don't have to look for it.

Re: Best way to shave weight off a Ruger 77mkII [Re: yukon375]
PaleWhiteCracker
Campfire Regular

So lets break this down for you:

All your macho line talk has gotten you called stupid. Then you make statements referencing linework based on two pictures. Once said statements were adressed with facts, your next to last move is to discuss a poly rope being used as a handline, not being used to handle a energized conductor.

Thats all you got?

It's okay that you work for a contractor. Based on your ability (lack there of) to think things through, as indicated by your factless posts. I am pretty sure that you've been washed out on any major power company's aptitude exams you've taken. There's nothing wrong with that at all, don't feel less of yourself.

If you would like to refute the clearance issue, pole bonding, static wire issue please respond in earnest. I enjoy being engaged in a work related discussion

At this juncture you would be better served by silence.

But we both know you ego is just screaming and you will not be able to help yourself.

So how about it Linemaster, care to discuss the pictures?

It cracks me up picturing, you typing with your hooks and belt on. grin

Hurry Back

theres no use in trying to explain anything to you. you havent a clue what your talking about i can see that. one thing you cannot fix is stupid, and you my friend are. theres a reason your ticket is only good at your power company, and mine is accepted across the us and canada. and theres also a reason for the 10-12 bucks an hour we make more than you. i'm a lil old to beat my chest, but i'll sure as hell try just for you. and the only thing u have right in your last post is the working clearance.
"It's okay that you work for a contractor. Based on your ability (lack there of) to think things through, as indicated by your factless posts. I am pretty sure that you've been washed out on any major power company's aptitude exams you've taken. There's nothing wrong with that at all, don't feel less of yourself."...... don't hate me cause i'm better than you. its never too late to see the light, we bring in power company lineman all the time, we start em out at 5 period ape.(that would be a pay raise for u, assuming you can pass the test). and in a few years you can be a real lineman.
I can't believe I'm saying this but I think I'd rather read the pirate talk that spews out of Larry than you two! smile

I suggest you two arm yourselves with a Klein spud wrench and the last one standing wins!

Don't get all misty eyed and touchy feely with me now Larry. <grin>
ya ur right, i'm done with this wannabe pos. this is my last post on this thread. once again sorry for the highjack
Smart move taking a wide berth around the Line work methods...................Your only option,but none the less you did it.

I didn't realize my card was only good at my utility?

Would you care to make a wager on that one son?

Once again silence would be your friend here.

But the Linemasters ego will not allow it as I stated before. grin

Hurry Back now and we can talk Journeymans cards.

I am enjoying our conversation only for the fact that your relegated to reaching for straws. grin
geez?!

I've been around here for a day or two, missed a few. Not sure when one of the best forums on the web became a playground for those chest beaters that feel the need to hijack others perfectly valid questions. I come to this place to get ANSWERS, or reasonable facsimiles thereof. Oh well....

I have a T.S. Ruger 308. Have had it 15 or so years. It is a tack driver, but I HATE the pregnant forend! I saw a pic in a Guns or Gun World rag from many years ago, of a Ruger that a 'smith had slimmed down. I always wanted to do that sort of thing, but was scared to screw it up. Now I just need a few tools to accomplish my goal.
I will post my progress as I attempt this project. My not be pretty, but what the heck, it's only wood, right?! And my soon to be ex wife (and others) claim I need adult supervision around tools, WILL (I hope) will be overcome! wink

I will post a pic of the (am sure it was GUNS mag) if I can find which box it is in. My gun magazine collection goes back to 1959.

I really like fluted bbls too. Anyone have one done on a "factory rifle"? Will/does it affect accuracy? Yeah, I know, it doesn't help anything really, but I like it. My 300RUM Sendero, I think, is gorgeous!

Later....
I'm not fun to race either.

This will be hilarious. Let's see a pic of you with a Ruger rifle of any flavor and something dead next to it............

Not one to leave a request unanswered, I been digging through my files of paper pics - best I could come up with:

[Linked Image]
MY GOWD MAN! WHAT CALIBER DO YOU USE? YOU BLEW AWAY ALL THE MEAT!
Personally, I prefer heavy rifles. But I understand those that don`t. Most of my guns start at 8 pounds and go up from there.
laugh

Caliber was .30. A .30-06. I suspect, the trouble was those Ballistic Tips.

I rekon, they was to fast. Cut the barrel 4" to cure that.
Ha! Good one.
Maybe ream it out to 45-70. That should eliminate a good bit of the barrel heft.
© 24hourcampfire